Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
New enterprise SSD controllers announced by some of the usual suspects and an unknown newcomer

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16275/new-enterprise-ssd-controllers-from-silicon-motion-phison-fadu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Saw a 1TB Crucial P2 on sale, its TLC and not QLC, tempted to get it. Any reason not to?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Bob Morales posted:

Bought that Sandisk 1TB NVMe drive at Best Buy for $89 today.

Installed it, imaged my current drive to it, rebooted...my 3rd gen X1 won’t boot from it.

Blah.
Is your bios UEFi mode or legacy bios?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Is your bios UEFi mode or legacy bios?

Neither worked.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ika posted:

Saw a 1TB Crucial P2 on sale, its TLC and not QLC, tempted to get it. Any reason not to?

If you don't actually need it and are just being tempted by a sale, SSDs will probably continue to get bigger and cheaper next year. Everybody will be on 128 layer and PCIe 4 will be the new competitive arena.

I don't know if 1TB drives will get a whole lot cheaper, but next year may be when we start to see 2TB drives fall in price to be the new $/GB sweet spot.

But if you need a drive now it's a fine choice.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Any sabrent rocket 4 plus benchmarks hanging out?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Klyith posted:

If you don't actually need it and are just being tempted by a sale, SSDs will probably continue to get bigger and cheaper next year. Everybody will be on 128 layer and PCIe 4 will be the new competitive arena.

I don't know if 1TB drives will get a whole lot cheaper, but next year may be when we start to see 2TB drives fall in price to be the new $/GB sweet spot.

But if you need a drive now it's a fine choice.

Ok, thanks.

I don't need need it, but getting a M2 drive as a scratch drive for photo editing/culling has been tempting me for ages, I just never got around to figuring out how much of the software is IO bound and how much is CPU bound. Plus the game partition on my other SSD is completely full.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Any sabrent rocket 4 plus benchmarks hanging out?

Samsung 980 Pro are on sale today on Amazon. Thats what I got.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Morales posted:

Neither worked.

If you did the migration using something like Macrium, check if the partition it created is set as active/bootable. I’ve had it sometimes just not do that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

EoRaptor posted:

If you did the migration using something like Macrium, check if the partition it created is set as active/bootable. I’ve had it sometimes just not do that.

I get a bios m.2 error when it boots

I checked the thinkpad forums and it looks like it’s just not supported

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Is there a way to determine which keying an m.2 socket uses without cracking open the laptop and looking?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Soylent Pudding posted:

Is there a way to determine which keying an m.2 socket uses without cracking open the laptop and looking?

Google spec sheets for the laptop. Most of them have it stated on there somewhere. Otherwise, if there's a drive in there already, you can use your favorite hardware monitor / explorer program to see if it's SATA or NVMe, which will also defacto tell you the keying.

If it's an empty slot, though, there's no software polling that'll tell you what it is--crack it open or find the spec sheet in that case.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

DrDork posted:

Google spec sheets for the laptop. Most of them have it stated on there somewhere. Otherwise, if there's a drive in there already, you can use your favorite hardware monitor / explorer program to see if it's SATA or NVMe, which will also defacto tell you the keying.

If it's an empty slot, though, there's no software polling that'll tell you what it is--crack it open or find the spec sheet in that case.

The spec sheet says, "512GB SSD M.2 2242 PCIe NVMe 3.0x2". Though it just occurs to me that since it's a Lenovo I can probably find an upgrade video and look at that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it's PCIe then it will be M key, it may possibly be B+M key but that's only relevant if you want to swap an NVMe drive for a SATA one.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Hello SSD thread goons, I have come into a spare Liteon CX2-8B512-Q11 PCIE3.0x4 512GB M2 drive that I was going to throw into my desktop. I can't really find any reviews on it except for Notebookcheck's. It was mainly used AFAICT in first-gen Gigabyte Aero 15 laptops and some Dell XPS 9560 laptops when they secretly switched out the better Samsung PM961 for it.

I was planning on putting it into my desktop and cloning my OS drive onto it (Samsung 850 EVO 1TB 2.5" sata) and turning the 850 Evo into a game drive.

Here is a compare link on Notebookcheck with a limited amount of benchmarks: https://www.notebookcheck.net/850-EVO-1TB-vs-CX2-8B512-Q11_785_948.247594.0.html

Couple of questions:
1. Will I notice any difference at all in Windows or boot times at all? Or are the speed increases only going to be felt in synthetics?
2. Is there any reason not to do this?

Tia

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Couple of questions:
1. Will I notice any difference at all in Windows or boot times at all? Or are the speed increases only going to be felt in synthetics?
2. Is there any reason not to do this?

Tia

1. OS boot time may have a marginal improvement, but for the most part the increased speed is not noticeable in everyday use. (Booting is one of the few average user things that does get a performance boost, if using the win10 fast boot system.)

2. Eh, no reason not to, but also not a whole lot of reason to do it. Like if 512GB OS / 1TB games is a convenient way to organize stuff for you that's a reason to do it. But if throwing it in the PC and just using the extra 512 for some games works for you there wouldn't be much difference.

Have backups of important data since you're using a cheapest-bidder OEM drive, but you should have backups even with the most expensive gold-plated drive.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Klyith posted:

1. OS boot time may have a marginal improvement, but for the most part the increased speed is not noticeable in everyday use. (Booting is one of the few average user things that does get a performance boost, if using the win10 fast boot system.)

2. Eh, no reason not to, but also not a whole lot of reason to do it. Like if 512GB OS / 1TB games is a convenient way to organize stuff for you that's a reason to do it. But if throwing it in the PC and just using the extra 512 for some games works for you there wouldn't be much difference.

Have backups of important data since you're using a cheapest-bidder OEM drive, but you should have backups even with the most expensive gold-plated drive.

Thanks. If there's not really going to be much performance difference outside of synthetics and marginal OS boot times, I may just stick it in and make the Liteon a games drive rather than go through the hassle of cloning etc.

Good shout on backups.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
If I have the choice between these two 1TB NVMe drives for about the same price - ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro and Samsung 970 EVO PLUS - in my local store's sale, which should I pick?
The use case is to expand (possibly replace) my 500GB 840 EVO because I'm running out of space for games. Would I best to keep the 840 as the OS drive and dedicate the new one for games, or mirror my current 840 onto the new drive and then have the 840 as gaming overflow?
If it matters, my motherboard is a ASUS Prime X370 Pro

Deanut Pancer fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 28, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Deanut Pancer posted:

If I have the choice between these two 1TB NVMe drives for about the same price - ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro and Samsung 970 EVO PLUS - in my local store's sale, which should I pick?
The use case is to expand (possibly replace) my 500GB 840 EVO because I'm running out of space for games. Would I best to keep the 840 as the OS drive and dedicate the new one for games, or mirror my current 840 onto the new drive and then have the 840 as gaming overflow?
If it matters, my motherboard is a ASUS X370 Pro Prime

Newer SX8200 Pros might have a downgraded controller, so I'd probably go with the 970 EVO Plus in this instance.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I got the 980 Pro 500GB models because cheap and I dont use a lot of space. Jesus this thing is fast! I have problems maxing out the drive. Say I copy 10GB of files from the drive to itself. That takes like 2-3 seconds. Pretty happy for $110 bux.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So I finally had the chance to install my nvme drive - I don't know if this is the best thread to ask but am I better off installing Windows fresh, or cloning? I recall someone suggesting Macrium Reflect.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

ijyt posted:

So I finally had the chance to install my nvme drive - I don't know if this is the best thread to ask but am I better off installing Windows fresh, or cloning? I recall someone suggesting Macrium Reflect.

If you don't mind buying a :10bux: key from SA Mart I would do a clean install.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

sean10mm posted:

If you don't mind buying a :10bux: key from SA Mart I would do a clean install.

Why would they buy another license?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

ijyt posted:

I've used the Samsung Data Migration software and it was pretty painless to clone my SSD.

I've gone both routes - replaced motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM and just cloned my old SSD to the new one and the system worked fine for years. Did that through a few generations of parts and never had any issues. I've also gotten new parts and just did a fresh install.

Sometimes it's nice to just have a fresh windows install, kinda annoying to have to setup everything again though. Clears out all the old crud.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
When I installed a new SSD with a fresh windows installation (using the media creation tool) last month, I didn't even have to bother with manually re-registering, Windows handled that on it's own.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Who wants to learn how it's really made?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoXJ0ki94fI

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:lol::lol::lol:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I assume it's like a sausage, not clicking.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Thanks for the advice, I think it's all a moot point because Windows is being a huge bitch about my key being invalid. Wants me to sign in with a MS account, but I've only ever used a local account here. God this is such a trash OS.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ijyt posted:

Thanks for the advice, I think it's all a moot point because Windows is being a huge bitch about my key being invalid. Wants me to sign in with a MS account, but I've only ever used a local account here. God this is such a trash OS.

It's like this. New hardware requires a new license, which you can transfer using a windows account on the original machine. IF you didn't attach the original machine to a windows account you are out of luck. Buy a new key and done.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

redeyes posted:

It's like this. New hardware requires a new license, which you can transfer using a windows account on the original machine. IF you didn't attach the original machine to a windows account you are out of luck. Buy a new key and done.

not true in my case, i don't have an ms account. i did make sure not to connect to the internet during windows installation, though*. it'll force you to make an account otherwise.

(*or rather tried a second time whilst offline)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Rinkles posted:

not true in my case, i don't have an ms account. i did make sure not to connect to the internet during windows installation, though*. it'll force you to make an account otherwise.

(*or rather tried a second time whilst offline)
In Windows license terms, just replacing a disk doesn't count as "new hardware".

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

In Windows license terms, just replacing a disk doesn't count as "new hardware".

Isn't that what's being discussed here?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Rinkles posted:

Isn't that what's being discussed here?
Reading back, it's unclear. So, good question.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

redeyes posted:

IF you didn't attach the original machine to a windows account you are out of luck.

There's a tool to deactivate a license from an existing computer, which should in theory allow moving a key from one PC to another even with mobo/CPU change.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Reading back, it's unclear. So, good question.

With the way that Win10 will work on practically any key, I'd have guessed that ijyt got a bum key that's been invalidated or something. But they've been pushing MS accounts so hard recently, this may be the wave of the future where they're gonna go back to the draconian XP & 7 days for activations (unless you submit to the borg).

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Everyone shares cat videos via teams instead of watching old movies but yeah pretty much.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Are the mushkin helix m2 drives decent? Because I can get them very cheap

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

ijyt posted:

After holding out on this for years, I finally broke and just use their account. It keeps my licence, it lets me recover my encryption password/key and is less of a pain in the rear end in general that going against the flow.

Modern mobos can also keep your key in the bios encrypted and my ryzen works with windows and encryption, so I'm more secure on all fronts except Microsoft.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Thanks to a goon selling keys for $5 I’m still holding out with a local account and saying no to all their Ad ID and poo poo :v:

However hoooooly gently caress is installing windows fast on an nvme, done in 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
At this point I want nothing to do with online accounts for much of anything. Local account or bust.