Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Re: Chapterhouse end, Nah, murbella is off being head of the BG and the HM. It's Sheeana who flies off

Thaat's right. It sounded off when I was thinking it but I totally forgot the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This seems relevant to this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGy16GQHz-g

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Well there goes any hope of the sequel.

Or cinema surviving past 2021. Who thought this was a good idea?

As a customer I've overjoyed. As a cinema enthusiast who wants evermore- I'm more than slightly concerned.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Well there goes any hope of the sequel.

Or cinema surviving past 2021. Who thought this was a good idea?

As a customer I've overjoyed. As a cinema enthusiast who wants evermore- I'm more than slightly concerned.

It'll take some time to adjust but it's obvious that theatres will be delegated to a secondary role in wide new releases unless digital prices are too high, international releases are delayed too long and the obvious becomes a problem. Going to the cinema is eventually gonna be one of those things you save for a spectacle in the way you would a concert over spotify.

Now watch all of hollywood follow suit now that Pandora's box is open. Nobody wants to be left sitting with their entire backlog for a delayed release post pandemic (which might not be untill 2022, vaccine included)

That said we still have a Bene Ghesserit series in the works so don't rule out a sequel of some form completely.

Postorder Trollet89 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 3, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

sean10mm posted:

If Dune was being written in 2020 everyone with power would be a huge moron rear end in a top hat who kept failing upwards, while everyone with half a brain was just an ever more depressed spectator.
If Herbert was dead wrong about anything, even more than the :biotruths:, it was the idea that every system would produce an aristocracy of the most ambitious, ruthless, and competent. He could predict an oil crisis but not neoliberalism.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Halloween Jack posted:

If Herbert was dead wrong about anything, even more than the :biotruths:, it was the idea that every system would produce an aristocracy of the most ambitious, ruthless, and competent. He could predict an oil crisis but not neoliberalism.

Eh, in a lot of his other books he talks about alternate forms of government. I think with Dune it's just playing out the string of the Faufreluches (sic) and humanity's love of empire and "saviors".

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/dune-denis-villeneuve-blasts-warner-bros-1234851270/

So, uh, I don't think we're getting a sequel

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

There wasn't any universe where we got a sequel if it wasn't filmed back to the back with the first movie.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I don’t know if I prefer have a Part 1 with no conclusion or no new Dune at all.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
If dorks were able to whine until we got a Snyder Cut I imagine we'll get a part 2 eventually.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

a snyder cut of dune

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
HBO Max just ensured we are far more likely to see a butthole cut of Dune than Dune II.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

david_a posted:

I don’t know if I prefer have a Part 1 with no conclusion or no new Dune at all.

Yeah, that would suck so hard.

Even if there is a Dune Part 2, it'll probably be years before we see it. Which might be ok, since the story cutoff might be a natural time jump of Paul fully embedded within the Fremen. But seriously, goddamn if they just don't make the second half.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Filming the first half of a novel without any commitment to making the rest is just a mind-blowingly :stare: decision. Lynch's film may have been something of a train wreck, but at least it told a complete story. So is this just going to end with a card saying "Baron Harkkonen died on the way to his home planet"?

Dune's a densely-packed story, sure, but it's still a single book. If you can't condense it even to a three-hour epic, you're not trying hard enough.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Payndz posted:

Filming the first half of a novel without any commitment to making the rest is just a mind-blowingly :stare: decision.

I'm starting to think that this was the only way they could get it greenlit- Villeneue didn't have the pull, the only previous theatrical adaptation had flopped, etc.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm starting to think that this was the only way they could get it greenlit- Villeneue didn't have the pull, the only previous theatrical adaptation had flopped, etc.

Yeah, DV definitely has come over as someone who would happily roll the dice if it meant getting the chance to make Dune

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

RIP in piss

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Beast Rabban Killed on Arrakis by His Own Men

I know it's the Emperor but this fits better

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
There's just the one worm.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/25...y-hash-out-deal

quote:

Legendary and Warner Bros have have come up with a new solution that, if enacted, will see Dune and Godzilla vs. Kong’s releases being handled in different ways. This deal would keep Dune as a traditional theatrical release in order to maximize its franchise potential and because it’s slated for October 2021, when COVID vaccines are expected to be widely distributed...
this new deal between Warner Bros and Legendary Entertainment hasn’t been cemented yet, but if it is, Dune will revert to a traditional release.
:pray:
I'd be super disappointed if the movie was awesome but the pandemic fall-out killed the possibility of a franchise.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

deoju posted:

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/25...y-hash-out-deal

:pray:
I'd be super disappointed if the movie was awesome but the pandemic fall-out killed the possibility of a franchise.

If by "franchise" you mean source material only, yeah.

But this is a new day for storytelling, people are going to want to know what happens to the wacky Fremen (extinction) and those other guys, do they ever meet space people? Oh what, there's only SIX whole books? Not enough! Get that poo poo on a hoodie. Tie it in with that Lego stuff that isn't called Lego. Order at least one show and a miniseries for the people who still have cable. THC Shai-Hulud Gummy Worms for all! THE SPICE MUST FLOW AND BRIAN K. ANDERHERB NEEDS A NEW SET OF GOLF CLUBS.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
That said, yeah. I hope they do the right thing and finish the first Dune at least. I think their audience is more patient than we're given credit for.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

phasmid posted:

If by "franchise" you mean source material only, yeah.

But this is a new day for storytelling, people are going to want to know what happens to the wacky Fremen (extinction) and those other guys, do they ever meet space people? Oh what, there's only SIX whole books? Not enough! Get that poo poo on a hoodie. Tie it in with that Lego stuff that isn't called Lego. Order at least one show and a miniseries for the people who still have cable. THC Shai-Hulud Gummy Worms for all! THE SPICE MUST FLOW AND BRIAN K. ANDERHERB NEEDS A NEW SET OF GOLF CLUBS.

Really I just want the first book finished.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

deoju posted:

Really I just want the first book finished.

:respek:

Do we ask so much? No, I say.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah like, I wish they hadn't taken this approach (in terms of the second half not being a guarantee) so I hope we see the conclusion in some form whatever happens.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The second half will be an anime Netflix original

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Tarnop posted:

The second half will be an anime Netflix original

I'd be kinda ok with that as plan b, so long as they dove face first into the :okpos::lsd::crabdrugs: stuff. Part 1 ends with Paul drinking the Water of Life* and when he wakes up at the beginning of part 2 we see things in only 2 dimensions, symbolizing how his perception of the universe supersedes our own.:drugnerd:

*It's been ages since I read the books... Can't remember if this actually happens.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

No the animated Dune needs to be a faithful recreation of Jodorowsky’s film-that-never-was

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

bawfuls posted:

No the animated Dune needs to be a faithful recreation of Jodorowsky’s film-that-never-was

I feel pretty certain if Jodo is involved in any way he will insist on narrating it.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

bawfuls posted:

Just watched that documentary because of this post. You are 100% right.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Make part 2 in the James Cameron Pandora machine but don’t provide any instructions on how to operate it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

You need the music with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHSIsH63c0Y

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

My girlfriend is a huge fan of Star Wars, and a kind-of fan of Twin Peaks, and decided to watch the Lynch Dune. Afterwards, she told me how much she loved it, "because it was just like Star Wars." Was not the reaction I was expecting.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

:sever:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Agreed the Lynch Dune is way better.

Speaking of which finally watched this cut of it and honestly I think this is the best version of the Lynch movie that can exist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJykw3H4PDw

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Chairman Capone posted:

My girlfriend is a huge fan of Star Wars, and a kind-of fan of Twin Peaks, and decided to watch the Lynch Dune. Afterwards, she told me how much she loved it, "because it was just like Star Wars." Was not the reaction I was expecting.

Her water belongs to your tribe. There is a time for beginnings.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Agreed the Lynch Dune is way better.

Speaking of which finally watched this cut of it and honestly I think this is the best version of the Lynch movie that can exist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJykw3H4PDw

Man the SFX shots and action sequences are so badly done. Not just cheap but incompetently shot.

Lynch isn't Lucas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

Man the SFX shots and action sequences are so badly done. Not just cheap but incompetently shot.

Lynch isn't Lucas.

Are you telling me the pug battle cry was incompetent?>??