Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I missed this on pc when it came out because lockdown ended here but it started again before Halloween and I nabbed it immediatly. Like 1 full year from release, not longer caring about the mysteries of the story and without the weight of expectations and I can honestly say I really love this game. It's just that the priorities are all wrong. I couldn't care less about the plot but the story of how my Sam fell off a mountain and still made it to the drat Roboticist before his chiral boots exploded was compelling as gently caress.

Anyway I'm back in work now and I managed to not finish this game in time cos I was too happy building roads and delivering packages and would forget to advance the plot for days irl because I was listening to podcasts while playing.

My big tip for roads (and I've finished every single road section to South Knot and Mountain Knot) is to raid the second mule camp between the Engineer and the Elder. They've always a gently caress ton of ceramics. I had to drain everywhere else of metal though the hard way. I get a LOT of likes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raithe
Apr 17, 2008

Don't worry: I've got the moon covered...
Ah see, I've been raiding the MULES around the mountain from the distro centre and they drop ladders, sticky guns and gently caress all else. Everything on the ground is special alloys, which I'm ignoring because I don't make anything with it yet. If I find out it's for ziplines I'll be kicking myself.

I might give your tip a shot, but if I keep loving around in the valley I'll never make it up to mountain knot.

Also I'm a little bit in love with Mama. :goonsay:

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Raithe posted:

Everything on the ground is special alloys, which I'm ignoring because I don't make anything with it yet. If I find out it's for ziplines I'll be kicking myself.

Zipline Level 2: 240 Chemicals, 480 Special Alloys. You don't need them to BUILD one, but upgrading it extends its range an additional 50 feet, which can be very useful in getting a route set up as efficiently as possible, and if you plan on ziplining most/all of the map, you'll need to be efficient to fit everything within the bandwidth caps.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Is it normal to have to build most of the road network yourself? Most of the road sections are like half full when I get to them but I've only ever had one or two sections get completed by somebody else, even ones that I'm like 100 ceramics from finishing will sit there for a day or two and still be unfinished when I come back. Do most people just not bother building them or is it something to do with the chance of other people's poo poo turning up in your world? If it's the latter then how come they're all half finished when I find them?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It seems like the game wants you to do most of the roads yourself. I had 2-3 segments completed by others but most of them were as you describe.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I had a couple roads built in the second region before I even knew what auto-pavers were, or that those roads were player-built :v:

Which reminds me, can you get roads built at all in the first region?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I had a couple roads built in the second region before I even knew what auto-pavers were, or that those roads were player-built :v:

Which reminds me, can you get roads built at all in the first region?

There aren’t any roads in the Eastern Region, no.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

this was mentioned before but wait until the paver is on the grid before sticking materials in it. You get a big discount from "other players" once you light up a section.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Midjack posted:

There aren’t any roads in the Eastern Region, no.

i get that it's just because it's the tutorial region but it still strikes me as weird that the area around the capital is the only area without highways (as far as I know, I haven't finished the game yet)

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Is there a star level for each hub that is the definite point for upgrades vs. cosmetics + lore?

Like some of them need a LOT of grinding to get that 4th or 5th star and it would be nice to know if all I'm missing is a new backpack color and not, say, a gun upgrade that makes a boss less horrible.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mrmcd posted:

Is there a star level for each hub that is the definite point for upgrades vs. cosmetics + lore?

Like some of them need a LOT of grinding to get that 4th or 5th star and it would be nice to know if all I'm missing is a new backpack color and not, say, a gun upgrade that makes a boss less horrible.

Level 3 is when you usually get new blueprints. Levels 4 and 5 are generally upgrades of the thing you got at level 3 (if that item has levels), though there are some shelters that give you new blueprints at higher levels. Level 5 is almost always colors and sometimes backpack accessories.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

mrmcd posted:

Some spoilers obviously, but this is a list of what you get and what level you have to upgrade for - https://www.powerpyx.com/death-stranding-how-to-get-all-crafting-recipes-weapons-equipment/

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

dantheman650 posted:

My god why am I literally watching cutscenes I’ve already seen before. When does this game end. This is dragging on so long!

And now the credits play again. Kojima needs an editor.

Overall I liked the game quite a bit. The core loop was really fun after I figured out the menus and mechanics and I had a blast building roads and planning routes. The cooperative gameplay was so cool and I really looked forward to connecting new regions to the network.

However, the story was some primo garbage and the last 3 chapters completely put me off and left me soured. I had some intention to go back and 5 star old areas and connect some more regions I hadn’t connected but now I feel like I’m completely over it.

What a bizarre game!

Okay, I just got to the first time I saw credits start rolling and when I realized I was going to have to sit through more nonsense I just looked for a video on youtube that showed "all the endings". loving youtube video was almost 2 hours long. Big nope there. I'm done.

So I came here and started reading the thread backwards until I found a post that confirmed that I wasn't the only human on Earth that thinks this game's story is the sloggiest of slogs but the gameplay loop was engaging. Thank you for posting!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This game has one of my favorite game worlds and stories ever and I agree that the run-up to the ending is a slog. The pacing gets real bad around chapter 10, it's just an exponential ramp up that stuffs in longer and longer scenes like it's MGS4 all over again. I wish the story had been doled out more evenly over the game's length, one of its major weaknesses imo is that all the important stuff is crammed in right at the end.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

At least now I know when to start hitting the skip button harder

(he says, still in chapter 3 because must build roads)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Don't skip anything. Though the pacing may be poor, the performances crammed into that space are still imo very compelling.

edit: Except the cutscenes of Norman chugging a Monster. You can skip those guilt-free. It may be sacrilege but I have literally watched Norman Reedus drink a real rear end can of Monster Energy hundreds of times, I cannot take it anymore.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Don't skip anything. Though the pacing may be poor, the performances crammed into that space are still imo very compelling.

edit: Except the cutscenes of Norman chugging a Monster. You can skip those guilt-free. It may be sacrilege but I have literally watched Norman Reedus drink a real rear end can of Monster Energy hundreds of times, I cannot take it anymore.

lol for not switching him to beer halfway through. :cheers:

Raithe
Apr 17, 2008

Don't worry: I've got the moon covered...

Ciaphas posted:

(he says, still in chapter 3 because must build roads)

I think I've managed to kick that bad habit finally.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

not gonna lie, "Norman Reedus And His Amazing Fetus" makes me giggle

Raithe posted:

I think I've managed to kick that bad habit finally.

I do kinda miss using ladders and rope anchors, yeah :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 6, 2020

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Moira Rose voice: I was the be-beh all along.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

so y'know the road to the windfarm and all those squared-off rocks literally everywhere? am I supposed tot be able to get past all that crap with the trike or am I overdoing it on the Skyrimming, here

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You can Bethesda your way through there if you really want to, but just remember that anything you do, you'll have to do again in the opposite direction later to get the trike back through. And also you don't want to end up leaving it behind out in the rain because it'll melt.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Barf, that does rather put it in perspective.

Musing as I write this, I realize that up to now I've depended on my connecting up another knot bringing in lots of online guidance and traversal tools for return journeys like you describe. I wonder now if I want to start over offliine, since it's making the game feel sort of a gimme? but - literally liveposting thoughts - that idea does go rather against the entire point the game is proposing, huh.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nah, don't play offline, it screws with the game's themes a bit to not have those little bits of camaraderie poking away at the isolation. Without them it's JUST atmosphere, which is totally cool if you're into that but it's not what the devs intended.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Yeah theres funny/cool stuff you'll see left by other players so its worth it.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Barf, that does rather put it in perspective.

Musing as I write this, I realize that up to now I've depended on my connecting up another knot bringing in lots of online guidance and traversal tools for return journeys like you describe. I wonder now if I want to start over offliine, since it's making the game feel sort of a gimme? but - literally liveposting thoughts - that idea does go rather against the entire point the game is proposing, huh.

The one huge way playing offline hurts you, afaik, is that desire paths don't form. It sounds like a small thing, but the game flattens out some areas that can cause a real problem on foot or in a vehicle.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I felt like the whole point of the game was to feel that sense of camaraderie-at-a-distance when the at first desolate and barren landscapes slowly start being filled with signs of human habitation and engineering. It's a completely unique experience. When it dawned on me what was going on I felt a real sense of joy in my discovery, the kind I haven't felt in front of a video game in ages.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

so y'know the road to the windfarm and all those squared-off rocks literally everywhere? am I supposed tot be able to get past all that crap with the trike or am I overdoing it on the Skyrimming, here

You can get the trike over drat near anything with a combination of wheelies and jumps. Just don't expect it to be fast

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I remember streaming in a goon discord and someone watching me and giving me poo poo for not just getting off the bike and walking during an area like that but there's something insanely satisfying about getting the timing right and just flying across a rocky atoll

jabro
Mar 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I’ve gotten the truck to that crazy snow top place that is a constant blizzard you go to like only once or twice. Hammer that bunny hop button until you find a line to get up.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

jabro posted:

I’ve gotten the truck to that crazy snow top place that is a constant blizzard you go to like only once or twice. Hammer that bunny hop button until you find a line to get up.

Was that you? This playthrough I've found a couple trucks in improbable places. There was one between Mountain Knot and the Timefall Farm with 10,000 likes, just sitting there quietly rotting away on a mountain peak.

Being a delivery driver myself, I applaud that kind of craziness.

"Think you can get in there with your truck?"
"Oh yeah. I can put this thing wherever."

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I got to the end of death stranding last night and what an experience. I loved it so very much.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Oscar Wild posted:

I got to the end of death stranding last night and what an experience. I loved it so very much.

Same. I am drained. A filthy video game has never made me cry before.

There’s still so many deliveries to make and I am becoming a MULE. Amazon guy better watch his rear end.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Does the condition of your boots affect anything apart from their outright destruction at 100% damage? eg if I'm running around with my boots 90% damaged is that bad?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

Does the condition of your boots affect anything apart from their outright destruction at 100% damage? eg if I'm running around with my boots 90% damaged is that bad?

No, they provide full protection until they’re completely destroyed.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
They just added a Cyberpunk 2077 update with new missions and cosmetics. 34 gigs on steam.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
They also added new gameplay features through giving Sam the ability to hack. Seems pretty cool, might be time for a replay :getin:

quote:

Time to unite the divided – one more time! We’ve been keeping something quiet for a while now, but today we can finally unveil all! We’re thrilled to announce an incredibly exciting DEATH STRANDING update, in collaboration with CD PROJEKT RED’s Cyberpunk 2077. This is crossover content you weren’t expecting, right? Let us tell you more!

Exclusive to PC this FREE update for DEATH STRANDING contains six new missions featuring characters and lore from Cyberpunk 2077, a game that needs no introduction. What’s more, players can expect exclusive items and an all-new Hacking function. Oh and it’s OUT NOW!

Porters can now get hands on with several unlockable aesthetic and equipment items, including:

• Cyberpunk 2077 themed Reverse Trike vehicle with improved jumping power
• “Silver Hand” modelled after Johnny Silverhand’s robotic arm that can be equipped and used in game
• New holograms including a SAMURAI symbol signboard and a Atlas Trauma Team vehicle hologram for certain constructions
• Several fashion items including Johnny Silverhand’s sunglasses

As mentioned, in addition to the above, this DEATH STRANDING x Cyberpunk 2077 PC update also introduces a new Hacking function that Sam Bridges can use in combat to target enemy machines. Porters will have the ability to stop Mule sensor poles from activating for a limited time, stun enemy Odradeks and hack Mule trucks to stop them in their tracks.

Check out the trailer below, leave your thoughts over on our community channels and please, share your photo mode shots with us! We’ll feature our favourites over on our website in the coming weeks.

What's more, we're also knocking a huge 50% off DEATH STRANDING here on Steam for a limited time! There has never been a better time to head off on your quest to reconnect society.

In the meantime, enjoy the update, stay safe and keep on keeping on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tN1A0hRc8k

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Really tempted to grab this on 50% off... is it a really good chill out game, even when you don't have like hours at a time to devote to it? That's my main concern right now. I might only have like 30 mins or an hour a night to really dive into it.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Even the fighting in it is chill, I'd say