Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

grate deceiver posted:

holy poo poo lmao

apparently she took it down and is actually apologizing to the commenters for being dumb. looks like someone did a growth

theyre also like fuckin 16 years old. feels very bad/weird to see people 2 to 3 times her age tear her apart even if her take is insanely, insanely bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i can’t deal with this man, all this poo poo is so dumb, bong was prob already the biggest korean director internationally before parasite and there is really barely any violence and sexualization

https://twitter.com/virtuaidoii/status/1334177923188858884?s=21

I think this imbecile is literally Orientalizing the violence in the film for uh woke reasons I guess

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

theyre also like fuckin 16 years old. feels very bad/weird to see people 2 to 3 times her age tear her apart even if her take is insanely, insanely bad

chalk it up as important lesson about being too online. gotta say she has a better reaction to being wrong than 99% of twitter dipshits

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

that feel when you want to show everyon e that u just wrote a cool first year uni essay but on tiktok

Serf
May 5, 2011

rewatching its always sunny in philadelphia and it probably is the funniest show ever

"how do 3 men in their thirties not have $800 between them?"
"...the economy is in shambles"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i can’t deal with this man, all this poo poo is so dumb, bong was prob already the biggest korean director internationally before parasite and there is really barely any violence and sexualization

https://twitter.com/virtuaidoii/status/1334177923188858884?s=21

its a reasonable critique but blaming bong for this is dumb as hell this is an issue with international distributors and south korean film its not like nonviolent south korean film doesnt exist it just doesnt get distributed and promoted internationally and by internationally i mean white countries such stereotypes tend to be nonexistent in asian countries that have access to more than one south korean movie a year

like poo poo theres a south korean tv drama going on right now thats got people super excited because its doing the batshit violent stuff but its popular precisely for being seen as an aberration and thats just in the Asian markets worldwide the best distributed and well known south korean tv drama is a romance thats on netflix

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Introduces First-Ever Non-Binary And Trans Characters With Blu Del Barrio And Ian Alexander

Might check out Discovery just for this, knew that’d they typecast Alexander as a Trill (shame since he’s the perfect height for a Ferengi), sad that the promotionals are admitting the writers are going to gently caress his life up already

quote:

Ian Alexander will play the transgender character Gray, empathetic, warm and eager to fulfill his lifelong dream of being a Trill host, but he will have to adapt when his life takes an unexpected turn.

I think in the Last of Us sequel the game introduces his character and not even within a half hour has him be assaulted by his mother

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Discovery season 3 is loving hilariously, like almost tragically, awful. they jump like a thousand years into the future and the federation collapsed because all the dilithium that fuels the warp cores suddenly blew up. that’s not a joke. lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

wait the show itself or just the crew

a change that radical seems like you might as well just start another show

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Introduces First-Ever Non-Binary And Trans Characters With Blu Del Barrio And Ian Alexander

Might check out Discovery just for this, knew that’d they typecast Alexander as a Trill (shame since he’s the perfect height for a Ferengi), sad that the promotionals are admitting the writers are going to gently caress his life up already

Those two are adorable and have great on-screen chemistry, if you don't care about media spoilers tho Ian's character is dead from the start and exists as basically BSG's Head Six for Blu

The doctor guy whose name I couldn't bother to remember until season three, Culbert, also gets room to breathe as an individual and shares a couple great scenes with Stamets. Much of the show's ensemble cast is quite good really, the problem is that it's not an ensemble show and the main character is written like some nerd's Mary Sue fursona.

Discovery is a poorly written and extremely stupid show, but in the same way as most modern pop culture so it's not particularly offensive unless for some reason you went into a Star Trek show with high expectations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Some Guy TT posted:

wait the show itself or just the crew

a change that radical seems like you might as well just start another show

yeah it’s a soft reboot basically

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

Discovery season 3 is loving hilariously, like almost tragically, awful. they jump like a thousand years into the future and the federation collapsed because all the dilithium that fuels the warp cores suddenly blew up. that’s not a joke. lol

I watched the first two seasons a while back and they were awful, but this is pretty funny

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also the warp nacelles on the main ship detach now. dumbest loving poo poo I’ve ever seen

https://imgur.com/t/star_trek/gJnPc6e

and the new com badges look like poo poo! gently caress!!!

Serf
May 5, 2011

having watched all of star trek discovery, season 3 is actually the only one i would unreservedly call good. it actually feels like a star trek show now and not some weird grimdark prequel (s1) or skynet bullshit (s2)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
i disagree with taintrunner - discovery season 3 lets Trek be Trek by creating a scenario where the crew really is just going to the Planet of the Day and trying to see if they're willing to throw in with the Federation

it avoids all the built-up baggage of all the previous Treks

but it also creates the opportunity for tension by putting the raw idealism of the Federation's principles at odds with the Hard Men Hard Choices pragmatism of an organization that's suffered tremendous losses

you're supposed to be rooting for the Discovery crew because they're basically the only ones not doing the Centrist bullshit of "hard things are hard, you can't just BUILD a replicator" now that the Burn has put dead-eyed Clintonites in charge

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

it was an executive decision made for the exact reason you articulated, to allow them to discard a ton of stupid old irrelevant baggage

people pointing out how poorly the show is handling the passage of nearly a millennium aren't wrong, but it was never intended to be a hard look at the plausible future and historical exploration of the preceding centuries so much as a means of not having to deal with old series' bullshit during burnham's heroic journey

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They turned the show into Voyager basically?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I wouldn't say so. It doesn't have Voyager's premise of being "lost" and having to come back home.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im still trying to figure out how discovery can be enough of a failure to warrant a reboot but enough of a success that they want to keep the brand name

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think they realised that grimdarking up the almost-TOS series was pissing everybody off but they'd gotten at least some people on board with the characters, so they're grimdarking up the future instead.

Serf
May 5, 2011

if anything, discovery s3 has been more optimistic and positive than anything else they've done so far. like poo poo is bad in the future, sure, but so far they've been doing the classic trek thing of "arrive at a place to find it in turmoil, get involved, find a positive solution" which is very different from how things started out. for instance, this season they

-arrived at earth to find it isolationist and at war with raiders. the discovery physically intervened and took some nasty hits to keep things from escalating, managed to capture the raider leader and helped both sides come to a peaceful agreement
-took their trill symbiont passenger back to trill only to have her rejected because she's human. burnham did a little improvising and helped the trill realize that the symbionts can bond with humans too and this could be the solution to their declining candidate numbers
-arrived at starfleet hq and immediately helped save some aliens with a disease by jumping to the only place where a cure could be derived and managed to save them

it seems to me that they're finally starting to make a good trek show. which, given how every trek has a pretty bad first season and largely mediocre second seasons, just seems to track with whatever curse the franchise has on it

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

lmao miley cyrus released the best rock album of the last couple of years

just lmao rock is trash, then hannah montana saved it just lmao

what a loving year

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

discovery s1/2 and picard are some of the most disappointing media in recent history made all the worse for their willingness to spit on star trek's legacy of nuanced space diplomacy, interesting settings, and problems that can't be solved by just blowing up a stupid looking alien

also the way they rebooted the klingons was dire, i was so excited for a new star trek and then i started the first episode of disco and it was just this dawning feeling of befuddled disappointment

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Marx Was A Lib posted:

lmao miley cyrus released the best rock album of the last couple of years

just lmao rock is trash, then hannah montana saved it just lmao

what a loving year

looks more like your taste is trash

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Doctor Jeep posted:

looks more like your taste is trash

"no, actually, imagine dragons is good!"

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's become Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda. That was a show about a ship ending up hundreds of years in the future at a point where their equivalent of the Federation had fallen apart. Star Trek is ripping off its own ripoff.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!
but isn't the future of discovery just... star trek? and then later tng, etc?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

discovery takes place after enterprise but before tos. they then skipped forward 930 years so we're waaaay past anything else that had come before. even picard is like 700 years in the past

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hodgepodge posted:

The jump was a thousand years into the future when the Discovery had already met the TOS Enterprise under Christopher Pike so the assumption is that even post TNG/DS9/Voy is just a dusty memory

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Marx Was A Lib posted:

I heard their style once described as "music that makes your cousin who didn't finish high school want to join the army" and, uh, yeah. I think that checks out.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I heard their style once described as "music that makes your cousin who didn't finish high school want to join the army" and, uh, yeah. I think that checks out.

i would call them a section 8 ripoff of pink floyd, but that's insulting to those on assistance, the laborers in sweatshops putting together knockoff purses, and pink floyd themselves.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Marx Was A Lib posted:

lol are you implying that I'm an imagine dragons fan? hahahaha

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Doctor Jeep posted:

lol are you implying that I'm an imagine dragons fan? hahahaha

No, more that that kind of "rock" has largely overtaken the kind with guitars and basses and drummers and anything away from that direction is good. Metal had mostly become a chudosphere so it's refreshing to get some actual rock out in the popular consciousness.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

At first, yes. To the point that the main character is Spock's sister and Spock plays a major role in the second season and then at the end of the second season Spock's sister tells Spock to go find James T. Kirk and become his best friend, and then a mind-numbingly stupid closing montage features everyone deciding to never talk about the events of Discovery (or the in-universe technology featured in Discovery that, thanks to modern CGI, looks complete different and way more advanced than anything in TOS or TNG) ever again, since after all they were never mentioned in any of the shows it's a prequel to.

But then, as others mentioned, the second season ends with the Discovery time-jumping a thousand years into the future, so the show that used to be a prequel to nearly every other Star Trek is now also sort of a sequel to every other Star Trek.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

starting the third season of discovery now (thanks czech pirate uploads), let's see if it's tolerable - the "what happened last season" thing looked like the same CGI action garbage nonsense that made me tap out of the earlier seasons

Serf
May 5, 2011

the big problem with discovery's spock is that when he shaves the beard the actor looks 1000x worse. freakish poo poo. that said, they're making a show about the adventures of big-dick captain pike and spock before kirk comes onto the scene and i'm kinda into it because pike's actor was great

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Watching the first episode of s3 and it’s almost interesting when they get to a super futurey Orion- Andorian trading post (or some poo poo) and all this stuff about dilithium exploding and becoming super valuable, but then it’s just like BURNHAM KNOWS KUNG FU and SHOOTY MANS!!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i think we need another group like Living Colour

Lib and let die has issued a correction as of 23:46 on Dec 3, 2020

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Casablanca is very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lib and let die posted:

i think we need another group like Living Colour

They were really good I saw them when they came to nz and the singer ran round the balcony chanting ELVIS IS DEAD it was great