Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Crick going full hold me back bro on Puig while dipping out as best he can was fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Phillies gave a contract to Vince Velasquez

God damnit I don't want to watch him pitch ineffectively for another year

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Ha my god that was fantastic, I don't remember seeing that at all. I love everyone's posturing while like three guys are definitely there to rumble.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Several guys tried to gently hold Puig back only to be violently thrown off and they suddenly realized oh poo poo this is the real thing and had to swarm him

All while Puig was technically no longer a Red

It still lacks the majesty of the Puig vs the entire Pirates team moment though

e: Garrett is still the best part though, telling his pitching coach to get someone up because he's gonna go fight

Intruder fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 3, 2020

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

LOL we fell for the "TV Network will mean more revenue which will mean bigger payroll" bullshit. I have to admit I bit hard.

Also I'm keeping my av.

Having an affiliated TV network is great for the team because it allows you to tell whatever story you want by moving money around in a way that doesn’t really matter to the owner.

You want to cry poor? “Sell” your TV rights for like $0 so you can claim you are a low revenue team. Team makes no money and the network makes $$$ from free games. Aka the Blue Jays plan.

Or the opposite if you want to make the team look good. Either way, the owner pockets all the carriage/ad revenue and the rest is just accounting to divvy up what division looks good.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Mets signed Trevor May who seems like a pretty decent bullpen arm, 140 ERA+ over the last 3 seasons

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Phillies gave a contract to Vince Velasquez

God damnit I don't want to watch him pitch ineffectively for another year

Unfortunately this is looking like the _only_ move we're gonna make this off-season....

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Rename Citi to Flavor Town Field

https://twitter.com/guyfieri/status/1334551767300894723?s=21

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Amir Garrett talking poo poo during MLB The Show was one of the best parts of the Covid shortened season.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

wouldn't be surprised if this was the norm

https://twitter.com/SIYanks/status/1334595858256564226

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ownership is really trying to kill this sport to save a few bucks in the immediate future.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Love to see people with a legal monopoly gently caress it all up.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
America is a dumb country.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Robinson Cano got the Coronavirus vaccine in 2018???

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Nothing quite like having a little bit of knowledge to make yourself look very dumb

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Popete posted:

Ownership is really trying to kill this sport to save a few bucks in the immediate future.

Future issues are the next guy's problem, now get back to strangling that golden goose.

It's time for someone in congress to invoke the magic incantation that makes MLB owners take note "Anti-trust exemption". May be burn in eternal hell, but John McCain knew these magic words, he also liked seeing himself on TV and this is why MLB cares about PEDs nowadays.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

"Robinson Cano's" positive test result

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
you know for absolute sure he's one of those "legal name fraud" morons too

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ScottyJSno posted:

America is a dumb country.

Oh my God I just approved that guy's request to join an EW splinter group I'm admin of, and I almost denied it just because of his loving Dick Dorkins profile pic and I wish I had seen this before I pushed the button.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/dszymborski/status/1334668473692282880?s=21

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The gently caress???????

https://theathletic.com/2238837/2020/12/03/len-kasper-cubs-white-sox/

Len Kasper, the Cubs TV guy, is leaving to be the White Sox radio guy??????

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

The gently caress???????

https://theathletic.com/2238837/2020/12/03/len-kasper-cubs-white-sox/

Len Kasper, the Cubs TV guy, is leaving to be the White Sox radio guy??????

Uhhhhhh what the gently caress? This sucks, I really liked Len.

My only hope is they promote the guy who broadcasts for the Tennesse Smokeys, Mick Gillispie because I always liked when he did play by play for spring training games, he has a very old school announcer voice.

Isn't taking a radio job a step down?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Everything about the cubs is such a huge loving bummer.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Popete posted:

Uhhhhhh what the gently caress? This sucks, I really liked Len.

My only hope is they promote the guy who broadcasts for the Tennesse Smokeys, Mick Gillispie because I always liked when he did play by play for spring training games, he has a very old school announcer voice.

Isn't taking a radio job a step down?

Yeah, but you’re not forced to wear a suit and tie and babysit Mark Grace and a cavalcade of guests. Allegedly it’s going to be Chris Myers next year.

Has any ownership team burned 108 years of goodwill faster than the Ricketts?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Yeah, but you’re not forced to wear a suit and tie and babysit Mark Grace and a cavalcade of guests. Allegedly it’s going to be Chris Myers next year.

Has any ownership team burned 108 years of goodwill faster than the Ricketts?

Yeah I wonder if the move to Marquee and stuffing the broadcast with a 3rd wheel was what pushed Len away. I have to say I really haven't liked the new format with Marquee. Three people in a booth is just too much, it never works.

If they pick Chris Myers over giving Mick Gillespie a shot that's garbage. Mick has won minor league broadcaster of the year award, I always just assumed he was waiting in the wings if Len ever moved on.

Popete fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 4, 2020

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

According to the Athletic article, Len just really wants to do radio, and has talked about how he wants to call a World Series. You don't get to call a World Series on TV unless you're Joe Buck and Whoever Hates Baseball The Most

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

more falafel please posted:

According to the Athletic article, Len just really wants to do radio, and has talked about how he wants to call a World Series. You don't get to call a World Series on TV unless you're Joe Buck and Whoever Hates Baseball The Most

There’s always the potential win-win of taking out Joe Buck, but Len doesn’t seem the type. He also doesn’t seem the type that would burn bridges on his metaphoric way out of town, but maybe that’s legit. I’m sure stories will come out in time.

I hope Chris Myers isn’t the pick since he’s overall just......there? Could be worse though, if the Ricketts family wanted to find a TV guy with similar views to theirs and there’s a drive into deep left field by Castellanos, that will be a home run and so that’ll make it a four run ball game.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Aw man I liked Len for his dad jokes and intricate knowledge of progressive rock.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

more falafel please posted:

Ehhhhhhhhh....if it was a national gig sure. But White Sox seems like a big step down. There has to be more to the story.

Len and JD were great together.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
:( I'm gonna miss Len and Lad

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

This is a huge bummer. Hell if he wanted radio so bad, he probably could’ve waited a year or two for Pat Hughes to step down, although maybe he’s got more years in him.

My guess would be he wanted to do radio, and Marquee pushed him off of TV faster than planned.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It is pretty funny that Len and Benetti, two analytically minded guys, are now stuck justifying la russa bullpen moves.

on the other hand, if Len wants to call a world series, it's much more likely to happen on the south side than going through another decade of tanking on the cubs.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Dec 4, 2020

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

FUUUUUCCCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUUU

quote:

Chicago Cubs owner Tom Ricketts pushed back on the perception that baseball teams are cash cows, telling ESPN on Tuesday [this is from July 2] that yearly revenues are mostly put right back into the team.

"Here's something I hope baseball fans understand," Ricketts said. "Most baseball owners don't take money out of their team. They raise all the revenue they can from tickets and media rights, and they take out their expenses, and they give all the money left to their GM to spend.

"The league itself does not make a lot of cash. I think there is a perception that we hoard cash and we take money out and it's all sitting in a pile we've collected over the years. Well, it isn't. Because no one anticipated a pandemic. No one expects to have to draw down on the reserves from the past. Every team has to figure out a way to plug the hole."

EAT poo poo

quote:

"The scale of losses across the league is biblical," Ricketts said. "The timing of the work stoppage, the inability to play was right before the season started. We're looking at 30 teams with zero revenue. To cover the losses, all teams have gone out and borrowed. There's no other way to do it in the short run. In the long run, we may be able to sell equity to cover some of our losses but that's in the long run.

"Who would invest at the moment?"

you loving ted cruz looking motherfucker

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Get hosed, Tom

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Bird in a Blender posted:

This is a huge bummer. Hell if he wanted radio so bad, he probably could’ve waited a year or two for Pat Hughes to step down, although maybe he’s got more years in him.

My guess would be he wanted to do radio, and Marquee pushed him off of TV faster than planned.

:cry: Pat Hughes will always call the games. You shut your mouth.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DrPossum posted:

:cry: Pat Hughes will always call the games. You shut your mouth.

one man booth with coomer

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

FUUUUUCCCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUUU

EAT poo poo

you loving ted cruz looking motherfucker

Sell me the team Tom, if it's such a money loser.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

R.D. Mangles posted:

It is pretty funny that Len and Benetti, two analytically minded guys, are now stuck justifying la russa bullpen moves.

on the other hand, if Len wants to call a world series, it's much more likely to happen on the south side than going through another decade of tanking on the cubs.

No question La Russa is an abhorrent human, but from a purely baseball perspective I'm not as worried as I was about the pitching staff and their management now that the guy that magically fixed Giolito is the pitching coach.

Also how great is it that the Sox went from Hawk and Ed Farmer to Benetti and Kasper in 3 years.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

R.D. Mangles posted:

one man booth with coomer

:smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

No question La Russa is an abhorrent human, but from a purely baseball perspective I'm not as worried as I was about the pitching staff and their management now that the guy that magically fixed Giolito is the pitching coach.

Also how great is it that the Sox went from Hawk and Ed Farmer to Benetti and Kasper in 3 years.

How many years can La Russa even really coach? I have a feeling after a year, or maybe two, of going on the road with a team at ages 76 and 77 is going to make him wish he stayed upstairs. That or maybe he can wrap his car around a light pole next time he's drunk.