Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

GigaFuzz posted:

Are the clients connecting to the VPN on a different subnet to the host LAN? Is there a route back from the host LAN to the VPN one? You may either have to add a route to VPN subnet, or use NAT on the VPN clients to pretend to be on the host LAN.

I think this did it. I needed to add a route from 10.6.0.1/24 to 192.168.0.1/24.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Well drat, I didn't realize Microsoft put out something that good, I'm enabling it now and will give this a shot. Thanks for the help guys!

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
There's probably an advantage to using something that isn't Windows Defender and that's since most windows users are using windows defender, it becomes a main focus of exploit or the lowest hurdle to clear.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I know this thread is more dedicated to home networking stuff but I’m having weird networking issue and I’m kinda lost on where to ask the question.

Is there a more general internet / networking thread or should I just ask here? I don’t want to poo poo up the thread.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Douchebag posted:

Well drat, I didn't realize Microsoft put out something that good, I'm enabling it now and will give this a shot. Thanks for the help guys!

I don't know that it's that good but that almost everything else is crap. So, using something with 'average' performance that doesn't actively install malware on your system or act like a virus itself is relatively excellent.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

MarcusSA posted:

So I know this thread is more dedicated to home networking stuff but I’m having weird networking issue and I’m kinda lost on where to ask the question.

Is there a more general internet / networking thread or should I just ask here? I don’t want to poo poo up the thread.

Sounds like you are in the right thread!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

fletcher posted:

Sounds like you are in the right thread!

Ok well here goes!

So I’m trying to figure this out remotely and its for my dad. He has a security camera set up at his business which he accesses via an application on his PC / Mac /iPhone.

The problem is that he recently switched internet providers at his house and he can no longer access the cameras when he’s at home and connected to his WiFi. If he turns the WiFi off and uses cellular data he can connect to the camera system just fine. I am in LA and I am able to connect to the cameras on my WiFi and cellular with no issues.

I contacted his internet provider because I thought that maybe they were blocking it for some reason or another and they got back to me today with this.

quote:

Here is a traceroute from your radio to the IP address you provided:

It’s stopping at the 12.118.14.166 IP address which is on AT&T’s network. Our (Ranch WiFi’s) network ends at the 38.142.236.233 address. Everything past there we can’t control or influence.

Here is a trace route from my network in Illinois (on Comcast’s network) to the same IP address which also drops on AT&Ts network. So there is something going on in AT&Ts routing preventing even me from reaching the camera IP.

So how the hell can I go about fixing this if he’s saying the issue is with AT&T but it works for me and it works when my dad is on cellular data 400 miles away.

I’m kinda at a loss here TBH.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

You could try contacting them, years ago I had a similar issue with Verizon and they looked into it and some network hardware wasn't working right and they fixed it pretty quick, was a bit of a run around to figure out who to talk to iirc. Maybe try wtvr contact is on the whois?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rakeris posted:

You could try contacting them, years ago I had a similar issue with Verizon and they looked into it and some network hardware wasn't working right and they fixed it pretty quick, was a bit of a run around to figure out who to talk to iirc. Maybe try wtvr contact is on the whois?

The bolded part is where I’m lost. I’ll try the Whois though!

It’s still weird though that I can get to it just fine and my dad can as well ( on cellular) but two other connections fail.

Is there a way say on the router level to direct route to that IP address? Maybe that’s not possible I dunno.

Just seems weird!

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

It's been a while but I think I just googled the address from the whois (who it was registered to) and just called them and then just did some phone tag as several peeps just gave me numbers to other peeps who eventually gave me a number to someone who could fix it, or put a ticket in or wtvr they had to do.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'd be curious if the behavior persisted if your dad changed the DNS on his router. If he changed ISPs, and is running his home network stock, then it presumably changed from old ISP DNS servers to new ISP DNS servers. Having him change that to Google or Cloudflare seems like something to try, and is a better idea than running from an ISP DNS server anyway.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'd be curious if the behavior persisted if your dad changed the DNS on his router. If he changed ISPs, and is running his home network stock, then it presumably changed from old ISP DNS servers to new ISP DNS servers. Having him change that to Google or Cloudflare seems like something to try, and is a better idea than running from an ISP DNS server anyway.

AFAIK they set up the router when he changed ISPs. He lives in the boonies so he previously had sat internet.

I’m not sure if that would fix it though seeing as how the guy in Chicago claims he’s having the same issue (I’m not sure if I buy that tbh) and he’s on Comcast.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Traceroutes can have a series of "* * *" - all that means is the router at that hop didn't respond to you. Potentially it's dropping/filtering the traceroute if it's stars for a bunch of hops. In theory you could have 3 rows of stars then it picks up again.

What you need is a sample of: Source ip, dest ip, dest port, and protocol (tcp? udp?) to troubleshoot this. I can configure a network to give you no pings, no traceroutes, no sign of life, but your tcp connection to your shady webcam software would work just fine. It's a dick move, but I can do it and some people still think it's a good idea. If you have a list of working and non-working ones, you should be able to provide that to your ISP and ask for them to troubleshoot why that's happening.

Next up, get that shady webcam software off the internet before it gets hacked and used to mine buttcoins/cryptolockered.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

A big gaping hole in plain sight?

On a token ring network

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

canyoneer posted:

On a token ring network

With a fancy gold terminator

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011
I'm trying to troubleshoot my network stuff. I have (on advice of the thread) an edge router X and a unifi AP light, both probably about 5 years old. Both my wife and I are having intermittent issues connecting to the network -- what's slightly weird is that usually when one of us is having issues, the other is fine. I just tried plugging into the router over ethernet and that fixed my connection issues, which makes me think it's the access point, but are there any other good ways of trying to diagnose what's going on before buying another AP?

Originally I thought it was my wife's new computer (as she was the only one having problems), but then it recently started happening to me as well. Obviously I've tried resetting everything (sometimes helps for a little bit but often not for long). My wife also said that when she plugs into ethernet it doesn't help her, which is odd (though I haven't been able to replicate yet).

Sorry for the incredibly basic question.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Neurostorm posted:

I'm trying to troubleshoot my network stuff. I have (on advice of the thread) an edge router X and a unifi AP light, both probably about 5 years old. Both my wife and I are having intermittent issues connecting to the network -- what's slightly weird is that usually when one of us is having issues, the other is fine. I just tried plugging into the router over ethernet and that fixed my connection issues, which makes me think it's the access point, but are there any other good ways of trying to diagnose what's going on before buying another AP?

Originally I thought it was my wife's new computer (as she was the only one having problems), but then it recently started happening to me as well. Obviously I've tried resetting everything (sometimes helps for a little bit but often not for long). My wife also said that when she plugs into ethernet it doesn't help her, which is odd (though I haven't been able to replicate yet).

Sorry for the incredibly basic question.

Have you rebooted the AP? Actually powered it off and back on? Is it overly hot?

These are reasonable questions.

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011
Yeah so that seems to fix it for now (which I think is consistent with what's happened in the past), but since this occurs fairly regularly probably safe to just get a new AP?

For heat: yeah it does feel relatively hot (and often does). Here's a picture of the back side of it -- are those discolorations normal? It's had them for a while: https://i.imgur.com/UmZb72x.jpeg

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Check your firmware versions on the AP and on the ER-X.

Those discolorations are not 'normal' but they do seem to be somewhat common. I might consider replacing the device on that basis alone; it's been running hot for a long enough time to discolor the plastic.

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011

astral posted:

Check your firmware versions on the AP and on the ER-X.

Those discolorations are not 'normal' but they do seem to be somewhat common. I might consider replacing the device on that basis alone; it's been running hot for a long enough time to discolor the plastic.

Yeah I’m leaning towards replacing. What’s the current recommendation — should I get the wifi 6 ap ac light?

Good call on the firmware, I will update that tonight.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Neurostorm posted:

Yeah I’m leaning towards replacing. What’s the current recommendation — should I get the wifi 6 ap ac light?

Good call on the firmware, I will update that tonight.

I haven't followed their new product line but at $10 over the uap-ac-lite, that certainly sounds tempting. I wonder if their US free shipping applies at $99, or if you have to throw in a cheap cable or something.

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011

astral posted:

I haven't followed their new product line but at $10 over the uap-ac-lite, that certainly sounds tempting. I wonder if their US free shipping applies at $99, or if you have to throw in a cheap cable or something.

Just pulled the trigger: the free shipping sadly does not apply (looked briefly for something cheap to add in, but shipping was only like $4.50 so didn’t look very hard).

For setting this up once it comes in, is it as simple as just swapping the two access points out, or will I need to fiddle around in the edge router settings?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

This is the FIOS ONT I have in my basement, All I have is internet with them, does anyone know what kind of battery I can throw in this to survive a power outage? I have the rest of my stuff on UPS' but this didn't get installed with a battery and rather than dick with Verizon customer support I am assuming I can just throw one in? You can see the black and red battery pigtails that are available to me.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

cr0y posted:

This is the FIOS ONT I have in my basement, All I have is internet with them, does anyone know what kind of battery I can throw in this to survive a power outage? I have the rest of my stuff on UPS' but this didn't get installed with a battery and rather than dick with Verizon customer support I am assuming I can just throw one in? You can see the black and red battery pigtails that are available to me.

It uses standard 12v batteries with F2 terminals. Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Battery-for-PX12072-NON-OEM-Replacement/dp/B003LNIEIS/

Just be aware that FIOS ONTs, last I checked, do not provide battery backup for internet services: it provides backup power for voice/phone data only, regardless of whether there's a battery in there or not, which is likely why there isn't a battery in there right now.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

DrDork posted:

It uses standard 12v batteries with F2 terminals. Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Battery-for-PX12072-NON-OEM-Replacement/dp/B003LNIEIS/

Just be aware that FIOS ONTs, last I checked, do not provide battery backup for internet services: it provides backup power for voice/phone data only, regardless of whether there's a battery in there or not, which is likely why there isn't a battery in there right now.

Ya I was wondering if it backed up the data side or not. Guess I gotta do some more homework or just put the whole unit behind a UPS

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Neurostorm posted:

Just pulled the trigger: the free shipping sadly does not apply (looked briefly for something cheap to add in, but shipping was only like $4.50 so didn’t look very hard).

For setting this up once it comes in, is it as simple as just swapping the two access points out, or will I need to fiddle around in the edge router settings?

You'd probably just have to configure the new AP.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

cr0y posted:

They no longer support them so if you call they will just charge you $100 for a call out. You can just plug in the normal plug there into a ups.

Also that isn't the ont as cropped, that's the power supply for it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
e: nevermind I answered my own question

Renegret fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 6, 2020

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Hey thread, I have a question about Unifi APs

We live in an apartment with lot's of AP's around. I have a UDM-PRO and an AP/AC lite currently. Everything is sort of fine, but we get some drops of IoT devices at the periphery. My girlfriend came to me today and wanted to get me/us this for christmas:
https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-access-points/products/unifi-6-long-range-access-point

Is that appropriate? The only thing that gives me pause is the "long-range" in the product name... How would a long-range product differ from a non-"long-range" product? Our apartment is two levels but I wouldn't describe it as huge... is LR going to hinder anything?

Thanks!

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

namlosh posted:

Hey thread, I have a question about Unifi APs

We live in an apartment with lot's of AP's around. I have a UDM-PRO and an AP/AC lite currently. Everything is sort of fine, but we get some drops of IoT devices at the periphery. My girlfriend came to me today and wanted to get me/us this for christmas:
https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-access-points/products/unifi-6-long-range-access-point

Is that appropriate? The only thing that gives me pause is the "long-range" in the product name... How would a long-range product differ from a non-"long-range" product? Our apartment is two levels but I wouldn't describe it as huge... is LR going to hinder anything?

Thanks!

There's nothing that would be hindered by buying the U6-LR-US, but she could probably save some and get the U6-Lite-US and not really notice any problems.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Finally updated my EdgeRouter X to 2.0.9 but couldn't do it via CLI or Web GUI.. of all things had to use an iOS app.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Finally updated my EdgeRouter X to 2.0.9 but couldn't do it via CLI or Web GUI.. of all things had to use an iOS app.

CLI worked fine for me. After you reboot into 2.0.9 there's a bootloader update too.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Evidently that was taken care of too, tried issuing 'add system boot-image' and it told me this:

code:
Currently installed bootloader version e50_002_4c817 is up to date. Bootloader upgrade is not needed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GUI worked for me but it took a solid few minutes spinning on "uploading" before it prompted me to reboot. Also was up-to-date on the bootloader already.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I think I am in the right thread, but if not, I apologize.

I know jack poo poo about networking, but know I have poo poo internet. Is it worth buying my own modem and router vs using the one that comes with my spectrum internet? It will stream videos if we are next to the router/modem but if we are upstairs, or even 3 rooms away in our office it will not. My wife is getting a Peloton for Christmas, and I am trying to do some research now before she’s pissed on the 26th that she can’t stream classes. Where do I even start?

For example this is a speed test from upstairs in my bedroom.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
One of my Ubiquiti APs suddenly went bad, it provisions but accepts no clients. Reset and re-provisioned it, had to dig out one of my Asus AC1900s to take its place for now.

Doesn't broadcast when isolated, but still capable of doing RF scans?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 7, 2020

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Snowmankilla posted:

I think I am in the right thread, but if not, I apologize.

I know jack poo poo about networking, but know I have poo poo internet. Is it worth buying my own modem and router vs using the one that comes with my spectrum internet? It will stream videos if we are next to the router/modem but if we are upstairs, or even 3 rooms away in our office it will not. My wife is getting a Peloton for Christmas, and I am trying to do some research now before she’s pissed on the 26th that she can’t stream classes. Where do I even start?

For example this is a speed test from upstairs in my bedroom.

Router, yes. I bought an Archer A9 from this thread's recommendation about a year ago and the performance improvement was significant.

Modem, only if you want to put in the effort to avoid rental fees but getting your own shouldn't make a performance impact. So if you know jack poo poo about networking, I'd say don't bother, it's one less piece of equipment you're responsible for.

What speed do you pay for? Wireless will always be slower than a wired connection but what you have is pretty awful. If spectrum gave you a combo unit (modem + router in one device), all you really have to do outside of following the directions on the router's packaging is enable bridging mode on it. If they gave you a smart router, you can just unhook their router and stick it in a box to return to them in a few years when you remember to get around to it. There's also some troubleshooting steps you can do with spectrum's router that they provided to you. I'm not so great with the wireless part, but in my experience any kind of tweaking you can do is only going to result in tiny improvements compared to putting the money down for a good router.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

I think this did it. I needed to add a route from 10.6.0.1/24 to 192.168.0.1/24.

Oh interesting! The only place I go these days is my girlfriend’s place, and her subnet is 192.168.0.x as well. When I try the WireGuard VPN from within her network and try to access services or computers on my LAN, it times out. I assume this is because we have the same subnet and my client devices don’t know which 192.168.0.10 to connect to, for instance.

How are you supposed to get around that, or what are the terms I should be looking for.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Re-IP one of the networks to a different subnet. I suggest something in 172.16.0.0/12 since it so rarely conflicts with work VPN.

Alternatively, turn off split tunnel VPN -- that will tunnel 100% of your traffic through the VPN tunnel rather than just the 192.168.0.0 space that's the destination of your wireguard tunnel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

KS posted:

Re-IP one of the networks to a different subnet. I suggest something in 172.16.0.0/12 since it so rarely conflicts with work VPN.

Alternatively, turn off split tunnel VPN -- that will tunnel 100% of your traffic through the VPN tunnel rather than just the 192.168.0.0 space that's the destination of your wireguard tunnel.

Thanks, I looked up the split tunneling settings and my client setting says AllowedIPs 0.0.0.0 for IPv4, doesn’t that mean all IPs go through the tunnel?