Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

ImpAtom posted:

Even if the vaccine works and is distributed quick summer 2021 is *very* optimistic for a return to normality. People are going to hesitate to see movies in theaters until they know they are safe.

Ah, but have you considered how much the population will shrink until then due to morons believing the mere existence of a vaccine makes it OK to cough in other's people's faces again? There are going to be so many people getting killed by idiots until summer that the number of people to be vaccinated becomes comparatively manageable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

i know we are all hoping for theater death ala the two party system but ngl im hoping amc A list comes back

poo poo i'll take moviepass too even though they Lucy'd the football away from me at the end there

I sure as hell ain't, we don't all have 4K TVs ya know.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm still hittin driveins :shrug: gonna see Mank at one this weekend.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm still hittin driveins :shrug: gonna see Mank at one this weekend.

Some of us also do not have cars.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

Some of us also do not have cars.

Every time you would pay to see a movie in a theater throw that money in a jar then do whatever the gently caress you want with the jar and just buy a 4k TV, they're like $200 now.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Vince MechMahon posted:

Every time you would pay to see a movie in a theater throw that money in a jar then do whatever the gently caress you want with the jar and just buy a 4k TV, they're like $200 now.

I'd also need like soundproofing, new drapes (which I probably should have anyway mind you, venetian blinds are just no good), the TV would have to be like ten feet wide at a minimum, etc.

Also, as much as people talking in movies is a problem, it can be fun to hear genuine crowd reactions. Last October I saw a screening of Texas Chainsaw Massacre and it was very clear that many people were seeing this for the first time.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Blastedhellscape posted:

Yeah, there's a comic book adaptation of Rawhead Rex from the 90's where the monster design is closer to the short story. The monster is supposed to feel a bit like a Grendel-style folklore giant, while also making it impossible to ignore that he's a giant penis-monster, because Barker was all taking subtext and making it text.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, I love going to the cinema. Plus, no 4K tv is going to match a really gigantic screen, especially for something like Godzilla vs. Kong. I hope they come back, but this isn't good news for them and I think it's sad.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Alan Smithee posted:

i know we are all hoping for theater death ala the two party system but ngl im hoping amc A list comes back

I loved a-list, saw an average of a movie every week with it for a good while. Can only hope that it (and my AMC theaters) are still around post-COVID

I don’t see WB continuing this exact strategy much beyond 2022—not sure that even a very successful streaming service can pull in enough revenue to prop up an entire studio slate—but I don’t think “normal” is coming back, even post-vaccine. Expecting windows will vary from film to film but that VOD within a month or so of release will be about as wide as it gets

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

If movie theaters die (and that's still an if), what does that mean for blockbusters or other high budget movies? I can't imagine the returns from streaming will match the multi hundred millions to billions that a theatrical run would provide.

What I'm basically asking is, is Dune 2 boned?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

When is The Green Knight gonna be released? I've been waiting on that since May. Put it on streaming already, A24.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

Was it ever not?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

When is The Green Knight gonna be released? I've been waiting on that since May. Put it on streaming already, A24.

Last I read Lowery was taking advantage of the extra time to edit the movie some more, but that was back in like August.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

GrandpaPants posted:

If movie theaters die (and that's still an if), what does that mean for blockbusters or other high budget movies? I can't imagine the returns from streaming will match the multi hundred millions to billions that a theatrical run would provide.

Nothing good. A huge part of the move towards ever more blockbusters is that those are the movies that people were wanted to see on the big screen, and you can't pirate a giant projection screen.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah this was already becoming the status quo to an extent, though there had been a few encouraging signs last year- Knives Out and Hustlers both did pretty solid business despite not being "you must see this on a giant screen" kinda features.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Welp, Letitia Wright, Shuri from Black Panther, went off the rails on Twitter and revealed herself to be transphobic, homophobic antivaxxer, so I guess the best thing from that movie went to the grave.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lol at losing two black panthers within a year

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I’m seeing the antivaxxer stuff but not the homophobia or transphobia, link tweets?

E: oh it’s in the video she tweeted

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pospysyl posted:

Last I read Lowery was taking advantage of the extra time to edit the movie some more, but that was back in like August.

he's had so much time to edit the film that it has no excuse not to be a drat masterpiece

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Alan Smithee posted:

poo poo i'll take moviepass too even though they Lucy'd the football away from me at the end there

You really had to get off the Moviepass train at juuuust the right time.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The Klowner posted:

he's had so much time to edit the film that it has no excuse not to be a drat masterpiece

At some point you could do an anthology film of differently edited Green Knights.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Young Freud posted:

Welp, Letitia Wright, Shuri from Black Panther, went off the rails on Twitter and revealed herself to be transphobic, homophobic antivaxxer, so I guess the best thing from that movie went to the grave.

the only good thing about black panther 1 was the soundtrack by kendrick lamar.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The score by Ludwig Göransson was pretty rockin too

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The REAL Goobusters posted:

the only good thing about black panther 1 was the soundtrack by kendrick lamar.

Winston Duke was a lot of fun in his role, I hope he doesn't die soon and/or somehow turns out to be a Nazi.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He was so good in Us.

Craaaaaw daddy!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Patrick Spens posted:

Nothing good. A huge part of the move towards ever more blockbusters is that those are the movies that people were wanted to see on the big screen, and you can't pirate a giant projection screen.

VR cinemas get pretty close, but they're still too heavy and isolating for widespread use of that sort.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Winston Duke was a lot of fun in his role, I hope he doesn't die soon and/or somehow turns out to be a Nazi.

If he turns into a Nazi after death, he would be an undead Nazi and we need that even less.

Which reminds me of Overlord, a movie about undead Nazi experiments. And its director being picked by James Wan to direct a new Van Helsing.
https://deadline.com/2020/12/universal-james-wan-overlord-julius-avery-direct-van-helsing-1234635740/

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Overlord was great schlocky fun. It’s probably the closest we‘ll ever get to a Castle Wolfenstein movie.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Young Freud posted:

She's doing a good run of 😂 replies but I don't believe she is actually crylaughing

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Overlord was great schlocky fun. It’s probably the closest we‘ll ever get to a Castle Wolfenstein movie.

It had way better context than iD or whoever owns that property now.

I loving suck at video games so hard that the last time I tried to play a Wolfenstein game I couldn’t get out of the airplane for a while and then I just got ate by robot dogs.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

It had way better context than iD or whoever owns that property now.

I loving suck at video games so hard that the last time I tried to play a Wolfenstein game I couldn’t get out of the airplane for a while and then I just got ate by robot dogs.

The 2000s games were varying degrees of whatever, but the newest ones done by MachineGames are fantastic. They turn cathartic Nazi-killing into an art form.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Yeah, the newer Wolfenstein games are "what if Man In The High Castle but with more scifi carnage?".

Wonder if the new Van Helsing skews more to Conjuring or Aquaman

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

She's doing a good run of 😂 replies but I don't believe she is actually crylaughing

That is the universal "I'm not owned" emoji so you're right on the money.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

That is the universal "I'm not owned" emoji so you're right on the money.

She's going to inevitably shrink and transform into a corn cob.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
they kept Pratt even after him being in the weird conversion therapy hollywood megachurch cult came out, and their Disney side kept the lady from the Mandalorian after she started being the exact same kind of anti-masker freak (hell they even hired Rosario Dawson who's a literal violent transphobe), and Renner has a full rear end Hawkeye movie in the works after holding a gun to his wife's head and threatening to murder their kid, they're not gonna ditch her for being an idiot.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Even so, I don't understand it. You're an actor trying to make it, you've really done nothing of consequence, and all the sudden you're a featured role in one of the biggest movie series of all time. You're making some good money, probably nothing huge but good money, and your future prospects are unclear because transitioning from Marvel to big roles in other stuff is something not everyone has been able to do.

Why engage in social media at all? Why risk it? I'd delete any and all social media apps. The existence of the app on your phone is literally a constant threat to your career and future earning power.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
They're probably contractually obligated to have an online persona, and then they can't resist the urge to :justpost:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Even so, I don't understand it. You're an actor trying to make it, you've really done nothing of consequence, and all the sudden you're a featured role in one of the biggest movie series of all time. You're making some good money, probably nothing huge but good money, and your future prospects are unclear because transitioning from Marvel to big roles in other stuff is something not everyone has been able to do.

Why engage in social media at all? Why risk it? I'd delete any and all social media apps. The existence of the app on your phone is literally a constant threat to your career and future earning power.
They're incredibly stupid? That's how they have the stupid opinions to blurt out in the first place.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

If you're someone susceptible to believing antivax or antimask nonsense you're not going to be self-aware enough to avoid social media. It's tough to wrap one's head around it but they think they're as correct as you or me who actually dwell in objective reality despite them being totally detached from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sexpig by night posted:

they kept Pratt even after him being in the weird conversion therapy hollywood megachurch cult came out, and their Disney side kept the lady from the Mandalorian after she started being the exact same kind of anti-masker freak (hell they even hired Rosario Dawson who's a literal violent transphobe), and Renner has a full rear end Hawkeye movie in the works after holding a gun to his wife's head and threatening to murder their kid, they're not gonna ditch her for being an idiot.

It’s an entire Hawkeye show, lol. Imagine thinking there was an entire season’s worth of content around the most bland moron in the Avengers.

Also worth listening to is The Renner Files, a 6 ep podcast about the rise and fall of Jeremy Renner’s vanity smartphone app. Dude’s completely wacko.