Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Well I was drinking coffee all day at my new desk job and because its Friday I figured why not come home and smack out a good gym session. I took some pre-workout to get that extra edge and pump. I'm just realizing I've probably consumed around 300mg of caffeine and holy gently caress am I jittery.

Talk about your favorite ways to consume Earth's Favorite Stimulant itt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Butt-chug 2 to 3 peppermint mocha lattes a day.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro
Pills, lots of pills

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

no go on Quiznos posted:

Pills, lots of pills

I took too many caffeine pills in college once and it made me super paranoid. I was amazing at darts though, just nailing triple 20s like mad

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I got used to instant coffee living in Africa and working on boats but when I switch back on to it, it makes me jittery as gently caress. I don't know what it is about the instant stuff but it gives a weird buzz

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I've never felt the effects of caffeine. The only time I recall noticing anything was when I made some Vietnamese coffee by steeping an entire bag of coffee for 24 hours. I drank like, 2 or 3 cups and forgot about it at 2pm. 12 hours later I was lying in bed staring at the ceiling, eyes wide open.

Stuff like jitters, any alteration in concentration or perception though, never. Yet I know people wired by a single coffee. poo poo's weird.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Alcohol with Caffeine

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
I made a coffee negroni with this poo poo last night and got buzzed as gently caress because its got like twice as much caffeine as buckfast

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I once ate half a bag of fancy trail mix that had chocolate-covered coffee beans and whoopee

yeah wasn't really a coffee drinker until 2-3 years ago, but I'm hooked on the Vietnamese stuff now.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
For some reason I can drink everything with caffeine except for coffee, unless its loaded so full of crap it doesn't taste like coffee anymore.

And I'm probably getting too much caffeine anyway, my daily routine is 1 Monster can and 150 gram pre-workout. Thought it doesn't really bother me.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
i drink a 16oz c4 every morning. the 200mg caffeine doesn't jump off the print, but there's something else that must get me even more wired cause they get me going more than other energy drinks with similar or more caffeine. when i first started drinking em they kinda made my face feel itchy lol but that went away after i got used to them

i follow that up with skoal so im basically spiking my blood pressure every morning b4 it's time to brush my teeth lol

its_my_birthday fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Dec 4, 2020

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Also from time to time I've been having these weird moments where my heart starts beating 5-6 times really fast and hard, like firing a machinegun at full auto, then slows down again.

Probably unrelated to my caffeine addiction.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

its_my_birthday posted:

i drink a 16oz c4 every morning. the 200mg caffeine doesn't jump off the print, but there's something else that must get me even more wired cause they get me going more than other energy drinks with similar or more caffeine. when i first started drinking em they kinda made my face feel itchy lol but that went away after i got used to them

i follow that up with skoal so im basically spiking my blood pressure every morning b4 it's time to brush my teeth lol

C4 is the pre-workout I drank. That sounds insane. Its got Taurine and Creatine in it, also Citrulline Malate which gives you the itchy tingles. I cant imagine taking it and not working out hard afterwards. Do you retain a lot of water?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

drinking instant coffee right now because I got drunk after lunch today and i can't wait up properly

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

When you guys say "vietnamese coffee" do you mean the sweetened condensed milk and instant coffee blend drank in most of the developing world? That poo poo is so much sugar and caffeine its great.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sweetened condensed milk very yes, but the one that got me is brewed in a little metal filter rather than instant. Complete rocket fuel.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
caffeine sucks rear end compared to heroic doses of b12

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Muscle Wizard posted:

caffeine sucks rear end compared to heroic doses of b12

I prefer D12 tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uuq6HgKgEFQ

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

The_Continental posted:

When you guys say "vietnamese coffee" do you mean the sweetened condensed milk and instant coffee blend drank in most of the developing world? That poo poo is so much sugar and caffeine its great.

Yeah, condensed milk is the key. You can do it hot with a phin filter (little metal contraption on top of glass) which drips coffee, but the pro move is the iced coffee variant. You get like a bag or half a bag of beans, grind 'em coarse - more like flakes - and leave in not a massive amount more water overnight or 24 hours. Drain and you've got very strong coffee essence effectively, then you dilute with condensed milk and ice. Obviously not really the season right now, but it's great in the summer. Also as anecdote above, do _not_ underestimate the strength. The Vietnamese drink it in small glasses for a reason. Depending on how many beans, coarseness of the grind, and how much water you add, the coffee essence you get can be 2-3x stronger than a regular strong cup of coffee easily.

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014
caffeine makes me sleepy. not awake and then tired afterwards, just directly, consume caffeine and feel the urge to nap. is there any way to change this or?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Turpitude II posted:

caffeine makes me sleepy. not awake and then tired afterwards, just directly, consume caffeine and feel the urge to nap. is there any way to change this or?
is this a coffee-every-day problem because im up on caffeine 5 days a week and no problem

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

gary oldmans diary posted:

is this a coffee-every-day problem because im up on caffeine 5 days a week and no problem

no, literally the first time i ever had coffee i was out for the rest of the afternoon

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Turpitude II posted:

I get this because I prefer my coffee hot, and hot drink plus afternoon equals nap.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Turpitude II posted:

no, literally the first time i ever had coffee i was out for the rest of the afternoon
maybe the stimulant is causing a small-scale muscle exertion somewhere thats not used to it and thats causing feelings of fatigue. if i recall shrooms do something like that with your muscles

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
i like the light roast cold brew at the place down the street from me. i should start making it at home, though

and i also consume garbage energy drinks more frequently than I'd like to admit. the non-carbonated rockstar orangeade that's 2/$3 at every gas station is good cause you can chug em down quick

cookiefulloarsenic
Oct 30, 2011

Turpitude II posted:

You might be a fast metabolizer of caffeine. Caffeine inhibits adenosine receptors in the brain. Adenosine controls sleepiness/wakefulness. Adenosine continues to be produced while receptors are inhibited and then binds to receptors once caffeine wears off, making people feel sleepy when their coffee wears off.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/326443#how-can-coffee-make-you-feel-tired

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The capitalism drug

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I could really use a GOD DAMNED cup of loving COFFEE right now!!!!

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

I had a coworker that would drink two 5 Hour Energies over the course of one 8 hour shift.

My partner had a coworker that tried a 5 hour energy once, then went to the hospital because he thought he was having a heart attack.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

my brother drinks upwards of 15 cokes a day, he's gotta be getting a lot of caffeine

he told me his body requires it and he is just a naturally sleepy person

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Also Redbull tastes like Grinch farts, yes I said it.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

The_Continental posted:

I got used to instant coffee living in Africa and working on boats but when I switch back on to it, it makes me jittery as gently caress. I don't know what it is about the instant stuff but it gives a weird buzz

Kola nuts. hrrnngg

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I live in South America and it is a nearly universal custom here to drink this sort of green tea-ish infusion using a regional plant called yerba mate (pronounced mah-teh). I'm not sure if it's caffeine or an analogue (I've heard the term "mateína" tossed around vs cafeína which is caffeine). I started drinking it when I was a teenager a few years after moving here but it was then just a social ritual, once I started university it became part of my morning routine. I am drinking mate right now. It's great to wake up in the morning, but I've always wondered what the relative amounts of caffeine compared to coffee is like, as I go through about a liter or so over the course of a day. I don't drink coffee so I have no point of comparison.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

300mg is where i start every day and I work from there. I am destroying my brain and body but gotta go fast

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

yeah but was the coffee hot OP

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Yerba Mate is comparable to coffee but varies a lot.

Before COVID hosed it, I lived walking distance from an empanada place with full mate service. :smith:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Turpitude II posted:

I have the same reaction some times. This is what I've found out so far:

- caffeine makes some people piss like an elephant and leads to dehydration, which makes you tired. Try drinking a glass of water with the coffee and see if it gets better
- magnesium supplements interact with the caffeine, try some
- nicotine interacts with caffeine. Skip the cigarette/vape and see how the coffee affects you then
- carbs interact with caffeine. Try not eating them or drinking coffee on an empty stomach and see what happens

Basically, caffeine is a lovely stimulant that interacts with almost everything and gives inconsistent results if you even so much as look at it wrong

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

GABA ghoul posted:

Try not eating them or drinking coffee on an empty stomach and see what happens
I tell you "what happens" if I drink coffee on an empty stomach two hours later I'll set upon and devour any food at all that comes within reach is "what happens"

although maybe that's a blood sugar thing from the condensed milk

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i like Dr Enuf soda, just got a case ordered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

TheAardvark posted:

Yerba Mate is comparable to coffee but varies a lot.

Before COVID hosed it, I lived walking distance from an empanada place with full mate service. :smith:

Interesting! Do you enjoy it? I find it's an acquired taste for most people. Empanadas are also glorious and a food staple here and in Argentina.

I remember the last time I was in the US for my sister's wedding, some guy was drinking a carbonated beverage in a can that said yerba mate and I lost my poo poo and had to take a picture to show all my friends.

GABA ghoul posted:

I have the same reaction some times. This is what I've found out so far:

- caffeine makes some people piss like an elephant and leads to dehydration, which makes you tired. Try drinking a glass of water with the coffee and see if it gets better
- magnesium supplements interact with the caffeine, try some
- nicotine interacts with caffeine. Skip the cigarette/vape and see how the coffee affects you then
- carbs interact with caffeine. Try not eating them or drinking coffee on an empty stomach and see what happens

Basically, caffeine is a lovely stimulant that interacts with almost everything and gives inconsistent results if you even so much as look at it wrong

Re: caffeine and magnesium, what are those interactions like? I recently discovered some varieties of yerba mate are magnesium-fortified and have been pondering how that modulates the effect of caffeine ever since.