Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

gey muckle mowser posted:

It's extremely Cronenberg-y so if you like his father's work you should definitely check it out.

Well said. The Cronenberg vibe isn't totally my thing, but I certainly appreciated the movie. It seemed like it did a good job world-building that fed in nicely to the overall hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

I want to see a VFW-like horror movie but instead of old war veterans it's a local wrestling show and the whole locker room of pro wrestlers has to fight the zombies/vampires/goop monsters.

I can almost see the first monster kill being a powerbomb that leads to a goop explosion.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Halloween Jack posted:

Luchadores have a long history of fighting monsters, and I'm baffled why this genre has never made its way to the United States and bigger budgets.

If Del Toro would take a break from rocking so hard he could do it. He briefly touched on it with that Vampire show he EP’d.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Iron Crowned posted:

Maybe you should do more drugs, I would watch a movie where a dude wrassles Jason, Dracula, and Satan in a two hour span.

How hard is it to track down the Blue Demon films?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I can think of so many ways to kill monsters with wrestling moves that I don't even want to start listing them.

dorium posted:

If Del Toro would take a break from rocking so hard he could do it. He briefly touched on it with that Vampire show he EP’d.
Yeah, I feel like the closest we've ever gotten is Lucha Underground and that opening scene from the Neil Marshall Hellboy reboot.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Possible tag-line:
FULL MOON? FULL NELSON.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Stone Cold hits the ring and gives the Stunner to like ten zombies, decapitating each one in turn.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Uh we already have multiple wrestling horror classics

It even has Rey Mysterio!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Maybe I’m being overly harsh but forty minutes in I really hate this Castle Freak remake

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The small brain

Retro Futurist posted:

Uh we already have multiple wrestling horror classics

It even has Rey Mysterio!

vs the galaxy brain

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Does Undertaker chokeslam and tombstone some demons? Because if so I'm gonna watch that.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Kvlt! posted:

The small brain

vs the galaxy brain

It’s a superior movie, but kiss aren’t wrestlers :colbert:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Retro Futurist posted:

So what you're saying is that a Scooby Doo/Juggalo movie would be the ultimate combination.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Retro Futurist posted:

Its all relative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oufysydPP60

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

So what you're saying is that a Scooby Doo/Juggalo movie would be the ultimate combination.

Scooby Doo, as is its right, will crossover with all things before it is said and done

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Anyone interested in the history of MMA should watch Fighting in the Age of Lonliness, the YouTube documentary co-made by Chapo Felix and Jon Bois

Edit: oh I got scooped

MacheteZombie posted:

Here's a cool mini series on the history of mma

https://www.sbnation.com/a/mma-history

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

As soon as I said that I knew someone would find a clip, of course they did something like this. Shoulda known better

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I want to see a VFW-like horror movie but instead of old war veterans it's a local wrestling show and the whole locker room of pro wrestlers has to fight the zombies/vampires/goop monsters.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2240046/

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

I would love to see ICP team up with the Scooby Gang.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Chris James 2 posted:

Maybe I’m being overly harsh but forty minutes in I really hate this Castle Freak remake

Nah it's bad, and the guy who plays "The Professor" is one of the worst actors I've seen in a while. The last 15 minutes are hilariously off the wall but not really worth the first 90 to get there.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Kiss Sucks :colbert:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

dorium posted:

hey now, just because you havent had your first one yet doesnt mean it wont happen one day! Keep your head up sport!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kiss have some catchy tunes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I like "God of Thunder" and I thought Detroit Rock City was a good movie

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

The Berzerker posted:

Nah it's bad, and the guy who plays "The Professor" is one of the worst actors I've seen in a while. The last 15 minutes are hilariously off the wall but not really worth the first 90 to get there.

I've said it before but there is rarely a reason for a movie to be over 90 minutes long.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The chorus of Love Gun whips rear end

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

dorium posted:

Gene Simmons sucks. Kiss is fine for what it is. Their music and schtick is so out of whack though. Like their music is just catchy dad rock. They're not really metal or particularly demonic.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It always cracked me up that for all the makeup and act they're basically the posers who would get beat up if they went to the real metal concert. I assumed early on that that was the key to their success. You could feel tougher than you do when you listen to Journey but its still safe and won't hurt your ears.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Kiss doesn't claim to be anything close to metal. Its the elitist metalheads who think theyre too cool to enjoy some poppy hard rock and a fun show. Metalheads are the biggest posers.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Keep in mind, KISS has been around a long time, since arguably before metal was a thing. Metal was rising to prominence around the same time that KISS really got going so they just went in a different direction. The way the timeline is I don't think you can say they purposely were trying to do some sort of spin-off of metal.

But I can definitely see the argument that it's developed into part of their appeal though. You get some of the aesthetic of metal but paired with a lighter music. It was probably a perfect combination for some people.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The first Kiss album was what? 72?

The only metal band was Sabbath pretty much.

All your super brutal death metal heroes grew up listening to Kiss

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, "poser" was definitely a heavier loaded term than I should have used. I forget how much that word means to people who actually use it.

I just meant that discovering them in my life in the 90s it was funny because you see the makeup and spikes and blood and whole thing and think "ok, this is gonna be a lot" and then they actually turn out pretty mellow and the stuff your parents listen to. Which is fine, I don't judge people's music habits unless they're listening to neo nazis or something. And I don't even like metal. But KISS always struck me as that safe middle stage. Whether that was intentional or just a happy turn of fate.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Retro Futurist posted:

As soon as I said that I knew someone would find a clip, of course they did something like this. Shoulda known better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipYqj0jJI0A

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kvlt! posted:

The first Kiss album was what? 72?

The only metal band was Sabbath pretty much.

All your super brutal death metal heroes grew up listening to Kiss

And at that time Sabbath wouldn't have been considered metal either, the first few albums are heavily blues with distortion.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MORE

PISS

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

KISS doesn't suck because they're not metal enough; KISS sucks because they released action figures of themselves, and a disco album.

And their music is god awful.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

but what if Kiss is just boring and the most try hard poo poo possible... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kiss are a bunch of tryhard sellouts but they did play this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybmEK64OkjA

So it's impossible to say if they're good or bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

theyre the schroedingers cat of bands. you're better off not opening the box than finding out that they actually suck if you do open the box.

this is the box