Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Just fly planes that approach at idle. Or remove any temptation to modulate throttle by killing the engines ahead of time.

Especially when you aren't paying for engine maintenance your throttle in approaches can handily be binary: idle and TOGA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Adjust the throttle by engine sound and apparent descent rate like a real pilot

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Sagebrush posted:

Adjust the throttle by engine sound and apparent descent rate like a real pilot

This does work great in anything piston powered, but trying to adjust the throttle in something like the TBM with buttons is a recipe for frustration. It feels like the lever gets 'stuck' in flight idle, and then the engine response very quickly ramps up from idle to max in a couple of presses.

It's fine, you can work around it, but it's the only phase of flight where I actually feel hamstrung by a controller rather than my own incompetence. Hopefully I can go grab my joystick out of storage at the weekend and find out what this game is like with that.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I use a Warthog stick + throttle to fly the 152

Can't find out how to get the APU ignition switch to work on the 152 ;-)

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Just found a funny bug:

So I'm trying a dumb idea of flying a lap of the Pacific. I started in Anchorage, and have so-far island hopped my way across to Adak. That route is supposed to be me flying west across the date line, except it ricochets off and is trying to make me circumnavigate the entire globe to get to Russia. I'm curious to see what the plane actually does once I get there.

I guess we know where the person responsible for that F35 date line bug wound up working next.

*E* I take it back, the FMC had a little think about it as we crossed the date line, threatened to whip a u-turn for a moment and then re-plotted the rest of the route correctly. On my way to land on a tiny Russian airstrip in currently near-zero visibility. :toot:

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 4, 2020

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Any tips for helicopters? I got the AS350 for XP11 and even with very gentle and gradual movements, it's an even chance that I flip over on takeoff. Or I can maintain steady flight for a few minutes, move the cyclic a little bit to the right, and end up barrel rolling into the ground. It's hilarious, but not very productive.

I know the AS350 is naturally a really squirrely aircraft. I made progress with DCS Mi-8 but that too, I rarely feel like I'm in control and I could easily end up falling out of the sky. I kind of wish either of these games came with like, an R22 or some other small, basic helicopter to get a feel for flying them. Fixed wings scale well and I feel like (in sims) I can just pick one up of any siz and generally not spike the plane into the ground, but with helicopters a type progression is definitely warranted lol.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

skooma512 posted:

Any tips for helicopters? I got the AS350 for XP11 and even with very gentle and gradual movements, it's an even chance that I flip over on takeoff. Or I can maintain steady flight for a few minutes, move the cyclic a little bit to the right, and end up barrel rolling into the ground. It's hilarious, but not very productive.

I know the AS350 is naturally a really squirrely aircraft. I made progress with DCS Mi-8 but that too, I rarely feel like I'm in control and I could easily end up falling out of the sky. I kind of wish either of these games came with like, an R22 or some other small, basic helicopter to get a feel for flying them. Fixed wings scale well and I feel like (in sims) I can just pick one up of any siz and generally not spike the plane into the ground, but with helicopters a type progression is definitely warranted lol.

Yeah, the Mi-8 is much easier to fly, since it's a big pig. Little helicopters are way the hell harder to handle. Do you have sensitivity curves set in the software or your joystick profiler? It is very rare that you'll use anything close to the full breadth of your physical axis with a helicopter (especially small ones) unless you are either a super ace or are panicking as you plummet to your death, so you can bend the hell out of that response curve to make twitchy helicopters easier to fly. A desktop joystick has nowhere near the range of motion of an IRL cyclic, so you moving your hand an inch to the right will have a much stronger effect on the helicopter than if you moved your hand an inch to the right in an actual helicopter.

This is technically true for planes in sims as well, but as you noted, planes are much more forgiving and easier to fly in general. Helicopters hate flying and hate you for wanting to fly them (except the Black Shark :swoon: ).

Try making a sensitivity curve that seems like it's complete overkill, like 2-3 times as hard of a curve as you think you need, and see how that feels. Dial it back (or up!) as needed.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Shine posted:

Yeah, the Mi-8 is much easier to fly, since it's a big pig. Little helicopters are way the hell harder to handle. Do you have sensitivity curves set in the software or your joystick profiler? It is very rare that you'll use anything close to the full breadth of your physical axis with a helicopter (especially small ones) unless you are either a super ace or are panicking as you plummet to your death, so you can bend the hell out of that response curve to make twitchy helicopters easier to fly. A desktop joystick has nowhere near the range of motion of an IRL cyclic, so you moving your hand an inch to the right will have a much stronger effect on the helicopter than if you moved your hand an inch to the right in an actual helicopter.

This is technically true for planes in sims as well, but as you noted, planes are much more forgiving and easier to fly in general. Helicopters hate flying and hate you for wanting to fly them (except the Black Shark :swoon: ).

Try making a sensitivity curve that seems like it's complete overkill, like 2-3 times as hard of a curve as you think you need, and see how that feels. Dial it back (or up!) as needed.

I followed the recommended curve in the AS350 manual or Chuck's Guides, but yeah I bet I just need to tune the stick some more. I am overcorrecting even with small, more controlled movements than I ever fly fixed wing with already, so that makes sense.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

skooma512 posted:

I followed the recommended curve in the AS350 manual or Chuck's Guides, but yeah I bet I just need to tune the stick some more. I am overcorrecting even with small, more controlled movements than I ever fly fixed wing with already, so that makes sense.

To make helicopters truly enjoyable in sims you'd probably need something like this to get the sensitivity required. Hovering requires such subtle controls.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The DCS MI-8, KA-50, and UH-1 are pretty much the ultimate in helicopter realism at the moment, but the KA-50’s stabilization and coaxial aerodynamics make it a bit unique. The UH-1 is probably the most meat and potatos fling-wing sim there is right now. No assists, no stabilization, just cyclic and collective.

VeganEverestDeath
May 1, 2017

Lord Stimperor posted:

Use feet to control camera with mouse

Piloting is stored in the feet

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hello, I have an extremely stupid problem. My steam client is configured for streaming to other devices, and it thinks my joystick is a controller, and won't let ANY game load in the joystick properly, as it wants to give it a generic gamepad profile. Has anyone run into this before? How do I fix it? I want to play DCS properly. :(

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I really wish Take On: Helicopters hadn’t been such a disaster. I’d kill for a modern simcade-leaning-sim version of Simcopter.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Finally managed to get custom squadrons added and test 180+ planes in one mission.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hello, I have an extremely stupid problem. My steam client is configured for streaming to other devices, and it thinks my joystick is a controller, and won't let ANY game load in the joystick properly, as it wants to give it a generic gamepad profile. Has anyone run into this before? How do I fix it? I want to play DCS properly. :(

Not 100% sure, but if you right click the game in Steam and go to Properties, there's a "Steam Input Per-Game Setting" that you can set to "Force Off" that should remove any Steam controller handling from the game.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Finally managed to get custom squadrons added and test 180+ planes in one mission.

Is this Great Battles? How’d it play?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Taintrunner posted:

Is this Great Battles? How’d it play?

Mod for Il-2 1946.

Adds most everything available from like... 1928 to 1950s, but the modpack covers ww1 to vietnam (I think)

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

lobsterminator posted:

To make helicopters truly enjoyable in sims you'd probably need something like this to get the sensitivity required. Hovering requires such subtle controls.

Yeah, helicopter poo poo got way easier when I put my stick on a 200mm extension.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I really wish Take On: Helicopters hadn’t been such a disaster. I’d kill for a modern simcade-leaning-sim version of Simcopter.

Was that the one that had on-foot fps sections in the single player missions?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

uvar posted:

I never played more than like 30 minutes of it but absolutely probably.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Just installed the NeoFly mod / add-on. Can't wait to play tonight!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Isn't the A320 supposed to have liveries? I can't see any.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

They haven't been able to work out the licensing stuff yet with the airlines is what they've said on the topic.

There are a shitload of community-made liveries you can install, however.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Isn't the A320 supposed to have liveries? I can't see any.

Go to flightsim.to

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Ah OK. I thought there were supposed to be some already included.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
For those that play DCS, check out the Red Storm Rising (RSR) Dynamic PVP Campaign. It's pretty swell. Unlike 90% of the servers in DCS, it's PVP. You are able to sling units via helicopters or you can spawn small columns. You can attack towns and as you take them your side moves forward. The sides are balanced and it's pretty fun

https://www.redstormrising.net/

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

uvar posted:

Yes. The game could have been a lot better with small changes (repeatable missions, ability to own multiple helicopters, etc).

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Adjusted my control curves for way more dampening, and I'm doing a whole lot better. I was like "I wish I had a simpler helicopter" to practice with and I forgot the Huey is that helicopter lol. I can even sort of land the AS350 after practicing in the Huey.

One thing I'm starting to pick up on is that the rudder isn't a rudder, it's the tail rotor and I also need to compensate for that with pitch and roll.

uvar posted:

It's basically an Arma 2 conversion mod. So yeah the player exists independent of the aircraft and just exit the helicopter in midair if you want.

Don't bother buying it. The flight model sucks rear end and the gameplay isn't good enough to put up with it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

skooma512 posted:

One thing I'm starting to pick up on is that the rudder isn't a rudder, it's the tail rotor and I also need to compensate for that with pitch and roll.

Properly: Anti-torque pedals.

Also, every control input effects every other axis simultaneously, and continuously. :eng101:

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!
Chiming in to echo that NeoFly is a lot of fun. A great opportunity to learn the XCub and force myself away from the A320 / big airport crowds.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

beeker posted:

Chiming in to echo that NeoFly is a lot of fun. A great opportunity to learn the XCub and force myself away from the A320 / big airport crowds.

Worked myself up from a C152 to a C172 yesterday. Now the AI is flying the 152 and I'm saving up for a Bonanza or D62.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
This is the 2nd ever video that I have edited on youtube. I got an ace mission so I wanted to share. The first two minutes are a bit slow but I think you will see why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elWGQifXBUs

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Just started what promises to be quite the project over the next few months - Around the world in a Beechcraft Baron. A few ground rules: Limited fuel (obviously), no time compression, live weather and live time.

Here's the initial route plan.
https://imgur.com/a/Q2PHxkZ

The orange route is the primary one, with green being possible alternates.

Any suggestions about stops along the way would be appreciated!

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

marxismftw posted:

Just started what promises to be quite the project over the next few months - Around the world in a Beechcraft Baron. A few ground rules: Limited fuel (obviously), no time compression, live weather and live time.

What did you base your route around? Just different sights to see? The Atlantic crossing will be very exciting in a very non-exciting way but I believe in you.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Just some places in the world that would be really interesting to see but are generally impractical to visit - North and Saharan Africa, and Central Asia definitely fit that bill for me. I'm less interested in Europe simply because I spent a bunch of time there. Flying down through Japan before heading into the Koreas probably makes sense though.

I'm also going to run out of fuel about 200 miles off the Brazilian Coast.

marxismftw fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 8, 2020

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

marxismftw posted:

For Europe, take the green route across Southern Europe. Southern france, swiss alps, italy are really pretty.

When crossing between northern and southern Europe, consider to go via puerto rico and the caribbean islands. Lots of interesting ones there.

Good call to avoid greenland and iceland. Was there, not worth the trouble.

Did you plan stops on islands on the ocean?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Just started watching some Honeycomb Bravo Throttle quadrant unboxings and that thing seems like it kicks rear end

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Lord Stimperor posted:

For Europe, take the green route across Southern Europe. Southern france, swiss alps, italy are really pretty.

When crossing between northern and southern Europe, consider to go via puerto rico and the caribbean islands. Lots of interesting ones there.

Good call to avoid greenland and iceland. Was there, not worth the trouble.

Did you plan stops on islands on the ocean?

Planning on a stop on St. Lawrence Island in the Bearing Sea, the Azores, and the Cape Verde Islands. I may just grab a Citation for the leg between Cape Verde and Brazil, unless there's a route under ~1400 miles across the central/south Atlantic.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Loosely related to this thread, but you have to see it to believe it:

https://twitter.com/ChloeGMoretz/status/1336423277829361665?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

Loosely related to this thread, but you have to see it to believe it:

https://twitter.com/ChloeGMoretz/status/1336423277829361665?s=20