Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As someone who works at a cinema I kinda hope they don’t figure that one out too fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

As someone who works at a cinema I kinda hope they don’t figure that one out too fast

Have you been to work since March?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, we opened again at the end of August, then closed again at the start of Nov for UK lockdown 2, and are opening again tomorrow. It’s been quiet but (in my branch) steady enough to keep us open 7 days a week).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What kind of restrictions are y'all operating under

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
What's it like to live in a place with restrictions? They are trying to do a lockdown here and several restaurants just refused to close. The city revoked all of their licenses but they are still staying open and serving anyways. Assholes from out-of-state are coming in to "support" them, as if their ratlicking wasn't bad enough already...
:smith:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

What kind of restrictions are y'all operating under

Two seats minimum between each booking and 50% max capacity (but it’s mostly quiet enough that this isn’t an issue). Masks on for customers at all times unless someone is eating or drinking, but we can’t enforce this as much as I would like :(

Lockdown in general is fine. Most everywhere abides by it. I just stay at home and watch stuff like usual and get my shopping delivered. It was easier at the beginning before I got bored of Animal Crossing

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I will miss the large disease rooms.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Superstore is ending with season 6. I’ll be sad to see it go, although I think it’s a good end point.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Movies theaters are dying, malls are dying, skating rinks are dying. Where am I going to give that special someone my varsity jacket and ask her to go steady? At some new fangled hipster axe throwing range?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Escobarbarian posted:

Superstore is ending with season 6. I’ll be sad to see it go, although I think it’s a good end point.

:same:

It feels like it's been running out of steam, but 6 seasons is a good run

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

oh jay posted:

Movies theaters are dying, malls are dying, skating rinks are dying. Where am I going to give that special someone my varsity jacket and ask her to go steady? At some new fangled hipster axe throwing range?

Yes, that is where you axe her to go steady

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

oh jay posted:

Millennials are sick fucks

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
It's more like that dating app episode of Rick & Morty where you just rage-bang until you get a notification that someone more attractive wants to rage-bang and thus the wheel of time spins on.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Iron Crowned posted:

:same:

It feels like it's been running out of steam, but 6 seasons is a good run

Its sucks when your main actress leaves at the start of the last season, makes the entire thing a bit of a damp squib.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Azhais posted:

Yes, that is where you axe her to go steady

I love this but hate it also

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

Its sucks when your main actress leaves at the start of the last season, makes the entire thing a bit of a damp squib.

She was supposed to leave at the end of last season but pandemic shut down production two episodes to the end

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

EL BROMANCE posted:

I would love to see the internal numbers they're working with, because they must be super confident this is the way to go for maximum profit now.

One thing to keep in mind is that advertising costs will likely go down, at least as far as advertising single movies.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It sounds like most of the problems you people have are with other people and not cinemas themselves

I love going to the cinema in my area (Newcastle, Australia) the tickets are priced cheap and everybody knows how to not be a dick

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I love going to a good theater too but it's an outdated and asinine model to have that be the only way to see a new movie. Especially for people with legitimate conditions that prevent them from enjoying theaters, or prevent them from even being able to use them

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I guess I'm saying, theaters need an Easy Mode

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
After actually finishing The Good Lord Bird...

I really enjoyed that, but it was a really uneven series. It's carried by the terrific acting and production design, but the writing is a bit all over the place. It felt like every other episode was really solid, and then the next would be clunky. But to really work, the penultimate episode needed to be the high of the series but it ended up being the low. The whole series hinged on it, but it was a really shoddy episode from a writing, directing, and editing standpoint. Overall it leaned too heavily on its invented character and it compressed history too much, sanding off some of the more interesting edges. And I was really excited for Daveed Diggs as Douglass but he ended up feeling like a bit of a weak point with a more cartoony performance than everyone around him.

All that being said, when it's fun, it's fun. It's way more of a chill hangout series than I was expecting and I really liked the tone for most of it. I'd highly recommend it as long as you're okay with a show being a bit wonky, especially since it's only 7 episodes.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The Good Lord Bird as a whole didn't quite live up to the madness of the first episode, but overall I really enjoyed it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Definitely enjoying Industry a lot now I’m almost done with the season, even though I still have no fuckin idea what anyone is talking about half the time

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

zoux posted:

No idea but if I had to guess it's Dirty Dancing sequel

Hey! Leave room for CoronaJesus!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Robert Fett is featured heavily in the new Mando, and he’s got his armor back. Wrecking fools like no big deal.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
We Are Who We Are episode 4 might be my favorite episode of TV in 2020. It was so chaotic, raw, and real in a way that it reminded me some of the movie Kids. There are a couple of perfectly shot scenes that just stick with you (the renaissance like slow mo shot of the post paintball fight and especially the crazy dance orgy at the Russian’s house). It works so well that the episode itself would make a great movie if it was 30 minutes longer.

Oasx posted:

The Good Lord Bird as a whole didn't quite live up to the madness of the first episode, but overall I really enjoyed it.

That first episode felt like it was directed by Quentin Tarantino in the way it was able to walk that line with its tone on a serious subject. It was what that Amazon Prime Nazi hunter show tried to do, but failed at.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

nate fisher posted:

It was what that Amazon Prime Nazi hunter show tried to do, but failed at.

This drove me insane. It was so pulpy to start (secret Nazi southern politician!, ninja nun!, a character named Bootyhole!) then got more and more morose on the horrors of the Holocaust, but then there's a big whacky gunfight at the end and boom Hitler clone. It was extremely confusing working on it and wondering which kind of show I would be working on that day.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Man, that pot-inspired dance sequence to Still Alive, which gets crashed by concentration camp survivors?

What the gently caress did they think they were making? There's tonal confusion and then there's whatever the gently caress that was.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

theflyingexecutive posted:

This drove me insane. It was so pulpy to start (secret Nazi southern politician!, ninja nun!, a character named Bootyhole!) then got more and more morose on the horrors of the Holocaust, but then there's a big whacky gunfight at the end and boom Hitler clone. It was extremely confusing working on it and wondering which kind of show I would be working on that day.

The fun parts of that premise sound great, but it sounds like they did the worst the could with it.

I would love a 60s era nazi hunting A-team type show.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

IRQ posted:

The fun parts of that premise sound great, but it sounds like they did the worst the could with it.

It had seriously strange tone issues, veering between dead serious holocaust stories and poorly done inglorious basterds style action-comedy, and not just at the end, all over. really god damned strange, and not the good kind of strange, strange from a "why would they direct/write it like that" perspective

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Euphoria special was incredible

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

I really enjoyed all of Hunters but it did have weird tone issues. I'd still at least check out the first episode, which can be watched as more or less a self contained thing.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

a character named Bootyhole!

Dammit, that's my self-insert character in my Black Dynamite fan fiction

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chris James 2 posted:

The Euphoria special was incredible

I’m very excited to watch this aaaahhhhhhhh

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Gonz posted:

Robert Fett is featured heavily in the new Mando, and he’s got his armor back. Wrecking fools like no big deal.

is that like K Fed's cousin or did they actually decide to name the og guy "Bob"?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/THR/status/1334910300257218562

Lol I can’t even begin to describe how bad an idea a MGS movie is

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Predicting this is the villain

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The ending of Industry episode 7 is played in such a confusing way that I spent about 10 minutes googling around trying to figure out what I missed only to find out the answer was “nothing”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/lauren_wilford/status/1334926675914711040

Is it weird that Kyle McLachlan and David Lynch are two of our most wholesome celebritites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/lauren_wilford/status/1334926675914711040

Is it weird that Kyle McLachlan and David Lynch are two of our most wholesome celebritites

It’s what gives me hope for this world.