Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Pro-Wrestling Champion for November, 2020?
This poll is closed.
Jon Moxley (AEW Champion) 34 39.53%
:catstare: Mayu Iwatani (FORMER World of Stardom Champion) 1 1.16%
Utami Hayashishita (World of Stardom Champion) 2 2.33%
:nallears: Tetsuya Naito (IWGP Champion) 3 3.49%
:gitgudhorn: Hikaru Shida (AEW Women's Champion) 3 3.49%
:dance: Rich Swann (Impact Champion) 1 1.16%
Sasha Banks (Smackdown Women's Champion) 1 1.16%
Asuka (Raw Women's Champion) 1 1.16%
:snod: Go Shiozaki (GHC Heavyweight Champion) 15 17.44%
:geno: Randy Orton (FORMER WWE Champion) 0 0%
:scotland: Drew McIntyre (WWE Champion) 1 1.16%
:kiddo: Suzu Suzuki (ICEx∞ Champion) 0 0%
:mump: Tetsuya Endo (KO-D Openweight Champion) 0 0%
Yuka Sakazaki (PRINCESS of PRINCESS Champion) 20 23.26%
:yaycat: None of the Above 4 4.65%
Total: 86 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

For the third month in a row, and the 5th time this year, Jon Moxley stood tall at the head of a Championship poll after all the legal votes were counted and won the October Champ of the Month Poll. A match with Lance Archer was good, but what really sold it for him seemed to be the exceptional promo work between Moxley and old friend/current rival Eddie Kingston. The closest competitor, Bayley, who has been the best thing going in WWE all year, couldn't even manage half of what Moxley managed despite an ending to her year+ long title reign. Coming in at third place with a long overdue return to the polls was Mayu Iwatani, who defended her World of Stardom Championship for the first time in months and got plenty of votes for it.

Now it is time to decide Don't Post Puro Here's pro-wrestling champion for November. Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant. At the moment, the only major promotions whose title is not represented are ROH - whose champion RUSH has not yet defended the title since the COVID era began - AJPW's Suwama and WWE Smackdown's Roman Reigns, neither of whom defended the title this month

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you think does/doesn't deserve the votes of other posters in this thread. The monthly "None of the Above" option remains a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Jon Moxley (AEW Champion) - After an incredible build that easily overcame the fact they'd already had a match with a clear finish, Jon Moxley successfully defended his title against Eddie Kingston in an I Quit match at the Full Gear PPV. Moxley more than held his own against the promo king with his own promos, and the two delivered a violent match in which Moxley finally got Kingston to verbally quit by choking him out with barbed wire. Since then, Moxley is focused on what is going to be an incredible match against Kenny Omega in the first week of December, absolutely refusing to take any of Kenny's "reasonable heel" bullshit and just beating his rear end after getting jumped himself backstage the previous week.

:catstare: Mayu Iwatani (FORMER World of Stardom Champion) - After an incredible October, where Mayu fended off challenges from both Syuri and Takumi Iroha, Mayu's luck ran out in November. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

Utami Hayashishita (World of Stardom Champion) - The Big Rookie capped off a meteoric rise to the top of Stardom, claiming her first reign with the red belt just over two years into her career by defeating Mayu Iwatani. However, with a Nippon Budokan main event at stake, Utami looks set for a rough first few months as champion with no shortage of challengers. Her first defence comes on December 20th in Osaka EDION 1 against her stablemate and senpai, Momo Watanabe. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:nallears: Tetsuya Naito (IWGP Champion) - Things have been much quieter for Naito since the G1 ended, though he did have yet another title defense (which even he is sick of) against former friend and ally EVIL at Power Struggle. After 30+ minutes, Naito was able to overcome EVIL yet again, and is focused now on defending the title on Wrestle Kingdom's Night 1 against Kota Ibushi, after he offered Ibushi the title shot after Ibushi was screwed out of his title shot briefcase by the hated Switchblade Jay White, who insists he will fight whoever the champion is on Night 2.

:gitgudhorn: Hikaru Shida (AEW Women's Champion) - Shida promised after winning the title that she intended to defend it against anybody who wanted a shot, and she's lived up to that. In November at the Full Gear PPV, she once again defeated former Champion Nyla Rose before going on to a clear victory over the Dark Order's Anna Jay. With an enviable win-loss record, Shida should be on top of the world... if she wasn't also being haunted by an ichor-dripping monster called Abadon who is coming after her and her title!

:dance: Rich Swann (Impact Champion) - Having put away former champion Eric Young in a rematch (and in less than 4 minutes!) Rich Swann was ready to put his own imprint on the title. He did so successfull in November, with successful title defenses against Sami Callihan at Turning Point and Ken Shamrock on an episode of Impact.

Sasha Banks (Smackdown Women's Champion) - Sasha had won the big one at Hell in a Cell in October, but she's won titles before and then promptly lost them. Former champion Bayley was sure this would be the case again, but Sasha succesfully defended her title against her greatest rival on Smackdown in a close-to 20 minute match which didn't reach the highs of their Hell in a Cell match but was still very good. Unfortunately, the follow-up to this feud is one with Carmella which is... I mean, it's Carmella. At least she got a Champion vs. Champion match against Asuka at Survivor Series, which she won.

Asuka (Raw Women's Champion) - After a loss to Raw Women's Champion Sasha Banks at Smackdown, Asuka remained in a good mood and agreed to put her title up against the Raw Women's team sole survivor... Lana. Unsurprisingly, the match barely lasted a minute, though Asuka won by DQ since Nia Jax and Shayna Baszler interfered to attack Lana, with Asuka coming to her defense.

:snod: Go Shiozaki (GHC Heavyweight Champion) - Capping off a highly emotional month for CyberFight champions, Shiozaki successfully defended his championship in a 42 minute epic against his former tag team partner and "homie", Katsuhiko Nakajima to continue a championship reign that has seen him tipped to be the first non-NJPW wrestler to take home the Tokyo Sports MVP award in ten years. However, if he wants to make it to one whole year as champion, he faces one final hurdle in the form of the last man to claim that accolade - Takashi Sugiura. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:geno: Randy Orton (FORMER WWE Champion) - Orton defended his title for the first time... and lost it. To the man he won it from only three weeks earlier. Which begs the question... what the hell was the point?

:scotland: Drew McIntyre (WWE Champion) - Drew regained the title, though he lost a Champion vs. Champion match at Survivor Series against Universal Champion Roman Reigns. Now he's set to defend the title against AJ Styles, with the threat of The Miz with the Money in the Bank briefcase waiting to cash in at any time.

:kiddo: Suzu Suzuki (ICEx∞ Champion) - Suzu may not have lost her championship, successfully defending against Tae Honma at an Ice Ribbon vs Actwres girl'Z show, but she did manage to lose her belt, leaving it on a train in Akihabara, almost leading her to get stripped of the championship. Suzuki is set to have the very last championship defence of the year as she faces Saori Anou at Ribbonmania on New Year's Eve. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:mump: Tetsuya Endo (KO-D Openweight Champion) - Endo began the month with an emotional championship vs. career match at Ultimate Party against his former Damnation teammate, Daisuke Sasaki. However, even after defeating Sasaki, Endo allowed him to stay in DDT and readmitted him into Damnation after confessing his betrayal was merely an act to get Sasaki to take the match seriously. To celebrate their reunion, Sasaki announced that Endo will be the star of a fully nude photobook. Currently sitting top of his block of the D-Ou Grand Prix, things are looking very good for DDT's champion. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

Yuka Sakazaki (PRINCESS of PRINCESS Champion) - In one of the very best matches of the year at perhaps the very best show of the year, Yuka survived an emotional encounter with her best friend, tag team partner and fellow Magical Sugar Rabbit, Mizuki to continue her year long title reign. Her next challenge comes at Korakuen Hall on January 4th against Rika Tatsumi. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:yaycat: None of the Above - If you're just happy to be there, whether genuinely or in a desperate Ricochet way, or you just want to see the results, of your favorite champion is somehow missing from this incredibly comprehensive list... well then vote for None of the Above!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

voted for yuka sakazaki who headlined the best show of 2020 and had the best match on the card.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

It's Go. Holy poo poo that defense against Nakajima might be MOTY 2020.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

wanting to vote utami but will go ahead and attempt to help yuka

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Voting for Mox one last time before Omega’s coronation :getin:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Torn between Go and Yuka but voted for Yuka

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

shiozaki imo

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I mean it's Go. Every month it's Go Shiozaki. He's the wrestler of the year, he's overseen a steady resurrection of NOAH's business from the dark years & he's not had a duff title match this year. The match with Nakajima was absolute fire, not perfect of course (there were a couple of awkward moments but why focus on the negatives when everything else in the 40+ minutes is this good?) but as a pay off to the end of AXIZ (potentially. I'd not be surprised if this rivalry continues to simmer like how Kenoh & Kaito Kiyomiya have kept up a rivalry even as they aren't programmed against each other all the time. God, NOAH's booking is great), best tag team in the world, it was magnificent. Go's selling is out of this world good, it really has all clicked for him in this run, he's always been a top guy in NOAH but here he has established himself as the guy. "I am NOAH". drat right you are Go, Misawa would be proud of this run.

As an addendum to Go's case I'd also add he had some extremely good tag matches during November too that built up exquisitely to the Nakajima match. But y'know, that match with Nak is good enough & Go's performance in it is good enough that he could've done nothing the rest of the month & still ran away with it.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 2, 2020

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Mox is definitely wrestler of the year.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

yeah Go's just been putting out some real strong work as of late. glad to see a representative of Sweet n Sour Enterprises having the run he has been having. 12 large baby

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pylons posted:

Mox is definitely wrestler of the year.

Seeing as I've seen him wrestle singles 4 times this year, & 3 of those were before COVID ran wild, I am not likely to agree with that (especially as neither of his WK matches this year were particularly great. Archer match was fun but I'd sooner rewatch Go vs 54 year old 30 year veteran Akitoshi Saito than Moxley vs Juice. Which isn't a knock on Moxley, just that Go Saito was far better than it had any right to be)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

forkboy84 never misses an episode of AEW, as i understand it

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Go's match was the best title match of the month, and that's saying something given how good some of the other title matches are so easy vote for Go for me

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Vote 4 Yuka.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Has TJPW passed Stardom to be the most popular joshi promotion in the west? Just an observation comparing Yuka this month to Mayu last month. Very small sample size but still

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Has TJPW passed Stardom to be the most popular joshi promotion in the west? Just an observation comparing Yuka this month to Mayu last month. Very small sample size but still

this subforum may just be the most active western TJPW fan nexus tbh. Although it probably helps that Yuka really shone in her appearances on AEW.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I think it's mostly a this subforum quirk. A lot of us have Wrestle Universe subs so TJPW is readily available to watch. Going by the largest Joshi Reddit Stardom still dominates. And I think going from Twitter TJPW is growing in the west (and a lot of that is a combo of Yuka's AEW outings and the Twitter shitposting of people like Itoh) but Stardom is still talked about the most. But this is all just what I've seen anecdotally than anything else.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

i think this forum is an outlier, if not very often ahead of the curve one.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i see about equal discussion of both on my twitter feed. as someone who is a stardom fan but has trouble getting into tjp (or ddt for that matter) i could def see tjp continuing to gain as their streaming service is not only better but also bundled with other promotions

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Not having live broadcasts in 2020 is a major downfall of Stardom I think

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I would vote for Go, but Yuka has a better chance of knocking Moxley of the throne at this point. This is a problem with DPPH, theres so many great Champions running around Japan, whereas America only has the one for people to coalesce around since WWE is the shits

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

afaik Go, Suzu and Utami are the only champions on this poll defending in Japan in December so Go has a pretty decent chance, especially if Kenny wins and splits the AEW vote.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Not having live broadcasts in 2020 is a major downfall of Stardom I think

Well, the PPVs do change that for Japanese fans (and the presentation of the product VOD for American fans) but we'll see what 2020 brings. Both companies have had roster discontent in 2020, Stardom's seems mostly settled and Bushiroad is obviously investing heavily in the company where there is still grumbling about pay in TJP and the lack of investment in aspects of the company like training.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
In a just world, this is Yuka's month to lose.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I still haven't gotten around to watching the Go match but Yuka's I did see so I will have to go with her.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

It speaks to how good this month was that Tetsuya Endo doesn't have a single vote yet after the excellent November he's had.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Thought the promise of a naked photo book would win at least one vote

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well a day in and Moxley and Yuka are the clear frontrunners, with Go still well within reach. 3 days left to vote, so vote!

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

rs fuckin pussy

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
moxley vs kingston was really good

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

rotinaj posted:

moxley vs kingston was really good

:agreed:

Also, still 2 days to vote, so vote vote vote as many times as you can... which is once, but make sure you vote once!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Absolute disgrace that Go and Yuka will split the vote and let the 3rd best champ run away with it

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Go voters went with their heart, I can't fault them for that. Just gotta hope the Sugiura defence is good enough to penetrate the Mox/Kenny split next month

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SG Bamboo posted:

Go voters went with their heart, I can't fault them for that. Just gotta hope the Sugiura defence is good enough to penetrate the Mox/Kenny split next month

Hell I voted Go despite not watching any NOAH just cause of how much he's been talked up this month

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Go's the fuckin man, he'd be the undisputed WOTY if more people were watching NOAH's resurgence.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I would watch NOAH but if I took on another promotion STARDOM's already top of the list and I'm too busy watching stuff from 1991 :(

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SG Bamboo posted:

Go's the fuckin man, he'd be the undisputed WOTY if more people were watching NOAH's resurgence.

He definitely had the funniest match of the month as he would chop and then sell his arm for 20 minutes until he realized this was boring and they decided to have a cool bad rear end match.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Far be it from me to tell someone not to watch the wrestling that's hooked them, but for only 900yen/month a Wrestle Universe sub will get you NOAH, DDT (who are in the middle of their version of the G1 and have had some absolute bangers so far) and TJPW (which put on this forums card of the year with 7 MOTYC). It's absolutely absurd value for a ton on phenomenal wrestling.

Also NOAH has some of their shows available for free on Abema TV for anyone to watch up to a week after airing, which forkboy84 goes to great effort to catalogue weekly in the puro thread

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

We're getting down near the end of the voting period, so if you haven't voted, you should vote!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The competition looked stiff in November, with NOAH and TJPW both putting on incredible title defenses that had DPPH buzzing (the TJPW show blew away the record for most MOTYCs in a single show) but even in spite of all their plaudits, Go Shiozaki and Yuka Sakazaki would have needed to combine their votes to only JUST manage to get past the vote total of AEW's Jon Moxley. This marks the 4th month in a row and the 6th month this year that Moxley has won the monthly poll... not bad for a guy WWE tried to claim simply didn't have the mental fortitude to be a pro-wrestler. Moxley will be in December's poll too, though it'll be as a former Champion. He has a strong argument to be made for DPPH's Pro-Wrestler of the Year, though Shiozaki fans will surely argue vociferously against that. That's for the end of this month and the start of next year though, for now and for November, Jon Moxley is once again the Champion of the Month.

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.