Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Mister Whisker the Cheddar Risker +1

especially if the mouse is styled after a dashing rogue, with tiny mouse rapier and moustache

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Mister Whisker the Cheddar Risker +1

especially if the mouse is styled after a dashing rogue, with tiny mouse rapier and moustache

When I remembered I had a mouse, I told the party OOC and they were tuned toward being players having/doing weird poo poo.

"I have a pet mouse, you guys."

"Oh cool. What does it do for you?"

"What do you mean?"

"Is it like a familiar, or can it do things for us in or out of combat?"

"No. It's a mouse. Like, a regular-rear end mouse."

"Did you at least teach it tricks? Can it fetch things?"

"Guys. It's a fucken mouse."

Although whatever the name ends up being I am all about giving the mouse tiny accessories that it mostly just nibbles on. :kimchi:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
One time the campaign started with the local Adventurer's Guild repossessing our starting gear as "initial union dues."

The DM meant for us to get into hock with a merchant - services in exchange for credit in the guild (company) store.

Within two sessions the campaign went from dungeon crawling to a worker's revolution, and the DM just rolled with it. We ended up with a Thieves' Proletariat and the Local Minotaur Dungeon Builders 451.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

name the mouse simba and hold it up like simba and do the song

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

CobiWann posted:

One time the campaign started with the local Adventurer's Guild repossessing our starting gear as "initial union dues."

The DM meant for us to get into hock with a merchant - services in exchange for credit in the guild (company) store.

Within two sessions the campaign went from dungeon crawling to a worker's revolution, and the DM just rolled with it. We ended up with a Thieves' Proletariat and the Local Minotaur Dungeon Builders 451.

:allears:

Our party in Undermountain just lost 90% of our money. We foolishly gave all the coins and gems to our Goliath rogue simply to carry the weight and be our accountant. We all forgot about this when we got to a doorway with a random symbol effect etched above it. We identified it to select one of 16 runes at random, and then select either the good version of that rune, or the bad one. We had a discussion about who, if anyone, should go through it. We decided that we all had to agree to go through if anyone did, and when that was decided we drew lots. The rogue drew the black lot.

Most of the bad versions of the runes were significant but survivable at this level. A few were outright lethal. One blew up all of the target's money and gems. Naturally, our rogue Biggie McLargehuge rolled the money rune, and rolled the bad version. He had a 1/32 chance. So we lost all of the money he was carrying. Luckily, our monk had held out on us and barely spent any of her money before we went into the dungeon.

Doc Hawkins posted:

name the mouse simba and hold it up like simba and do the song

Haha I could do the Rafiki thing to give people Bardic Inspiration.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Railing Kill posted:

Haha I could do the Rafiki thing to give people Bardic Inspiration.
Perform (Iconic Disney Scenes) is a valid subskill.

TesseractMinotaur
Nov 6, 2012
+1 for Mister Whisker, the Cheddar Risker

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So I need advice - my Tanicus DM is doing a short three/four session campaign to help a friend playtest a 5e adventure. His exact words when it came to character creation were "PHB, Xanathar's, or Tasha's. Otherwise, get weird with it."

I went with a Gnome Ranger Swarmkeeper (friendly pixies). I need one or two weird character quirks. Previously when we've playtested, there was an Underdark campaign were played a dwarf rogue who spoke in nothing but nautical terms and a jungle crawl where my Paladin kept defending the (non-existent) virtue of the slutty Tiefling Cleric until they were back in the city where they proceeded to have sex in canon.

I'm thinking, either she gets VERY embarrassed at the slightest hint of her body (save her head) being exposed, to the point that seeing her without sleeves would cause her to blush and stammer profusely, or she's madly addicted to cheese since it's not found naturally in the forest.

Do they work? Any other suggestions?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I can't imagine not bring madly addicted to cheese.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

CobiWann posted:

Previously when we've playtested, there was an Underdark campaign were played a dwarf rogue who spoke in nothing but nautical terms and a jungle crawl where my Paladin kept defending the (non-existent) virtue of the slutty Tiefling Cleric until they were back in the city where they proceeded to have sex in canon.

Wait, is it the cleric's virtue that doesn't exist or the cleric herself? Worth asking, because a paladin that defends the virtue of a shameless libertine that doesn't actually exist might be the greatest character concept I have ever heard described.

How they could, in the latter case, have sex is a question above my pay grade.

wiegieman posted:

I can't imagine not bring madly addicted to cheese.

Same. I'm going to need a Ghouda fix soon; I'm getting curd withdrawal.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Character believes that the source of their strength comes from keeping their head shaved perfectly bald. Character keeps head obsessively smooth.

What about physiological quirks?

Whenever it rains the character loses hearing in one ear?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i thought of another one: the dark sun transfer student would find most local animal-based foods to be delicious, but visually disgusting. they would be horrified by cows, pigs, sheep, goats, etc, and probably call them all by the same name, insisting that the other students are just "making up" different animals. if beef was shown and explained to them first, they would call cattle "cows," pigs "poo poo-cows", goats "small-horn cows," and sheep "cows. those are the same animal. you cannot trick me this way."

fish, they would eat with silent reverence. in fact just lie and tell them everything is a fish. call cheese "fish-milk".

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

CobiWann posted:

So I need advice - my Tanicus DM is doing a short three/four session campaign to help a friend playtest a 5e adventure. His exact words when it came to character creation were "PHB, Xanathar's, or Tasha's. Otherwise, get weird with it."

I went with a Gnome Ranger Swarmkeeper (friendly pixies). I need one or two weird character quirks. Previously when we've playtested, there was an Underdark campaign were played a dwarf rogue who spoke in nothing but nautical terms and a jungle crawl where my Paladin kept defending the (non-existent) virtue of the slutty Tiefling Cleric until they were back in the city where they proceeded to have sex in canon.

I'm thinking, either she gets VERY embarrassed at the slightest hint of her body (save her head) being exposed, to the point that seeing her without sleeves would cause her to blush and stammer profusely, or she's madly addicted to cheese since it's not found naturally in the forest.

Do they work? Any other suggestions?

Dunno if it's enough of a quirk, but maybe they insist that the "pixies" are imaginary, and they just think that they have psychic powers?

The cheese one reminds me of the Lizard Priest from Goblin Slayer, but that's not a bad thing.

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

The same conditions that attract pixies also attract mosquitoes.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
The pixies are actually pictsies, a clan of nac mac feegle, and are violently anti-authority, especially if royalty is mentioned.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

JustJeff88 posted:

Wait, is it the cleric's virtue that doesn't exist or the cleric herself? Worth asking, because a paladin that defends the virtue of a shameless libertine that doesn't actually exist might be the greatest character concept I have ever heard described.

Well poo poo, I'm playing a Bard next campaign and I think I'm going to be comprising ballads to a non-existent libertine!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Tonight in Night's DX game! The next story arc kicked off with the angel Sammael walking into our office. ("Residents of 1932 Lahser Road, Office #4! Be not afraid, the Lord thy God is with thee. Heh. Haven't gotten to do that in centuries.") At the moment, Alex was wearing a Christmas sweater and explaining emoticons to Isabella, so their initial response was "oh no, he's hot and I'm not nearly as cool as usual right now."

But then he hired the team to go after one of the men that wanted Alex dead. Which was awkward, because they hadn't told their coworkers about that! Their composure was holding up, more or less, until Sammael said "This man is almost certainly going to try to kill you, as he's already trying to kill you (specifically, Alex). Enlisted a small army for it, actually."

After Sammael left, and Alex finished having an anxiety attack, they finally opened up to their teammates. Three years ago, a group of rich assholes, the Ivory Apes, nearly murdered Alex in order to sacrifice their soul to a demon for power. Alex barely survived, having been dumped in the river and left for dead. It turned out that the Apes had screwed up the ritual, meaning Alex got power in exchange for the Apes' souls, instead of vice-versa. And so the Apes were hiring assassins and whole armies to kill Alex, in order to undo the deal.

Which is why Alex had joined a detective agency with a werewolf and a fae knight. Luckily, Nuala and Isa were understanding of Alex's lie of omission re: likelihood someone would blow up the office because of them. (Getting 1.5x hazard pay to deal with it helped.)

And now we're going to London to fight a James Bond-style villain in league with Hell.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I love that the money legitimately has no game effect and never really comes up but the characters are very certain to collect their standard fees when negotiating with angels, fairy queens, crusading knights of the Inquisition, and the Detroit Institute of Art.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

CobiWann posted:

Dude. Your character is a beekeeper. Run with this.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Night10194 posted:

I love that the money legitimately has no game effect and never really comes up but the characters are very certain to collect their standard fees when negotiating with angels, fairy queens, crusading knights of the Inquisition, and the Detroit Institute of Art.

That reminds me, the post-credits scene of that last arc was definitely Alex waiting to be fitted for some bespoke clothes while reading the Sun and smirking.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm starting to think there should be a separate good and bad thread. I mean no offense to anyone, but I find myself scrolling by huge effortpost paragraphs amounting to "I had a good game". I mean no disrespect. I'm horrible.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Bieeanshee posted:

Dude. Your character is a beekeeper. Run with this.

Maybe they're bees pretending to be a gnome, and that's why no-one can ever see their """skin"""

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Night10194 posted:

All Contracts Must Be Fulfilled. That's what you get for letting a fairy knight into the game. :colbert:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Firstborn posted:

I find myself scrolling by huge effortpost paragraphs amounting to "I had a good game".

What do you expect? I mean this honestly.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Firstborn posted:

I'm starting to think there should be a separate good and bad thread. I mean no offense to anyone, but I find myself scrolling by huge effortpost paragraphs amounting to "I had a good game". I mean no disrespect. I'm horrible.

There was a thread for bad experiences, but it didn't get many posts so the "good games" and "bad games" threads got combined into this one megathread.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

happy gaming groups are all alike, but each unhappy etc etc

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Yawgmoth posted:

What do you expect? I mean this honestly.

Yeah, please don't take offense. I expect cat piss. This thread is more like campaign diaries for games that didn't have cat piss in them, and as such are ... notable? I won't ruin anyone's fun any longer, sorry.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Firstborn posted:

Yeah, please don't take offense. I expect cat piss. This thread is more like campaign diaries for games that didn't have cat piss in them, and as such are ... notable? I won't ruin anyone's fun any longer, sorry.

Yeah I am with you, I am mainly here for the cat piss. Exceptionally good, short experiences are ok. But the last year or two it has been a lot of campaign diaries that are maybe funny if you were there. And sometimes I don't even know if a particular story was meant to be a good or a bad experience?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Running man

So in order to be able to pay the repair bill for their broken down spaceship the party has made contact with Captain Ynedra Kor of the Hutt Cartels. Where the devaronian asked them if they knew something about the roguish Captain Vilka. Who it turns out has been a thorn in the cartels side for a while now. At first he went after slavers but has now started disrupting the fragile relationships between the gangs and made quite a mess as a result.

Ynedra's task for the party is to find Vilka and bring him to her. Either willingly, or in chains.

Captain Ynedra Kor posted:

"Preferably the latter."

The only lead they have on Vilka's whereabouts is Norrin, a Zeltron slicer that Ynedra tasked to find out where he's hiding. Problem is that he's now missing and it also seems like he's avoiding the cartel's people who have looked after him. But he has a crew of ex-slaves working for him at the base so if they ask around they might find something.

Kyrae Sisk posted:

Kyrae Sisk leans over to the others as they turn to leave and whispers somewhat awkwardly
"So, uh, what's a Zeltron?"

However the party remembers that they have other pressing issues to deal with, namely the fact that Tieron is slowly dying of radiation poisoning and is in need of proper medical treatment. Thankfully they have the name of another smuggler/corsair active on the station thanks to the doctors on Coral. A Nautolan named Malekk Zok'yss. Problem is that they didn't get more than that, and the fact he apparently operates with a sizeable crew on the station.

Wanting to cover more ground in finding information on their contact the party splits up. Tieron and Sirra goes for the classic approach, going cantina hopping and asking around. Meanwhile Kyrea and Ross go scouting after any local street docs or similar to see they know anything.

The results are... varying.
Kyrea and Ross meet some success and finds an clinic some levels below. Even if it looks more like a fortress than a hospital, the windows and doors barred with metal grates and front door is under constant camera surveillance.

Sirra and Tieron are less fortunate in their endeavours. Finding a relatively clean looking bar they ask around, only to be faced with drawn weapons by several patrons. Apparently Malekk is a "water-guzzling nautolan" and has managed to accrue several grudges towards one of the other gangs on the station. They're forced to beat a hasty retreat under fire, during which Sirra takes a grazing wound.

However things take a turn for the worse for the others when Kyrea suddenly notices that some people have a keen interest in her. A bunch of hooded warriors point in her direction and quickly reveal themselves to be Mandalorians. The pureblood, who is well aware of the sour history between the Mandos and the Sith, quickly decides to hide in an alleyway. Ross following due to being guilty by association with her. Even if he ends up tripping and falling into a pile of scrap and wires.
But ultimately that is what saves them from conflict. Ross' fumble acting as a distraction and preventing the Mandos to find the pureblood hiding nearby. After helping him with some wire caught around his legs they leave. At which point the other two manage to rejoin after having managed to loose their pursuers.

They quickly devise a plan to get into the clinic without looking too suspicious. Kyrae is forced to wait outside due to the Mandos still being nearby and now on the lookout for her. Being a gentleman as he is, Tieron lets her borrow his jacket just in case.
But as an alibi Ross slices Sirra on the shoulder, using his medical expertise to make it look bad without it being bad. Before slapping a haphazard stimm patch to dull the edge of it.

The interior of the clinic has seen better days as they step inside, the smell of alcohol and chemical cleaners is overwhelming. A few passed out pirates sitt in chairs whilst a duo of rodian orderlies pile up naked bodies on one side.
The desk is manned by a female chagrian, a bottle of (drinking) alcohol in her hand.
It's some time before the line clear outs that it's time for Sirra to get her wound treated. Even if the doctor at the desk isn't too convinced by what she sees. Either way while Sirra gets sent to the medical droid for treatment Ross asks about Malekk.

GM posted:

The chagrian glares at Ross, slamming an entire bottle of alcohol back for a long awkward minute.
"Yeah, I don't recommend him. Unless you like getting hosed and laid out to dry like some SCALLOPS."

It's becoming very clear that Malekk has a history on the Ring. But they do learn that the "fishy gently caress" works for the the Exchange. Who own one of the tall spires inside the station.
It is about this point Sirra emerges from a doorway, running at full tilt towards the entrance.

GM posted:

Stepping inside the room you find yourselves inside a alcohol smelling pristine surgical room, a pair of hovering medical droid cleaning the bloodstains and bits of flesh and bone from the ground as a multi limbed medical droid looks at you expectantly. The droid gently welcomes Sirra, indicating for her to site down for it to begin the procedure. A single cyclopean optic scans your body, arachnoid legs unfurling from the droid's chassis as it approaches the table.

The droid pulls out a large syringe full of a viscous green liquid and an industrial-grade stapling gun.

Sirra Iscandar posted:

"Nonononono"

With their questioning coming to an end the party rejoins Kyrae in the alleyway again. Despite Sirra not being too happy with how things turned out they still got another lead. But when the others mention where Malekk works, Kyrae adds that she saw the Mandos heading for that very same tower belonging to the Exchange before.

Realizing that one of their members is a rather obvious target the party decides to head down to the market district to get a disguise for Kyrea. Deciding to kill two birds with one stone by asking around for the Zeltron as well.

Descending down the station to the markets is not an easy affair. Even more so when their journey takes them through territories belonging to numerous small gangs and group.
They try to act tough as best as they can, but quickly they become aware that they're well out of their depth here. With gangers packing veritable arsenals on their where they look. Soon nasty looks and jeers turns into threats and they're forced to run away more than once.
Their luck finally comes to an abrupt end when a group of heavily cyborg'd pirates let loose their wardroids on them for a quick laugh and the trip turns into a frantic scarper trying to avoid them.

Thankfully their youth and nimbleness saves them, Sirra and Kyrae managing to find an empty turbolift tunnel that'll save them from the droids. Also managing to save the guys lives as they get dragged into the tunnel to avoid their pursuers. And after a few minutes of hiding the pirates get bored and recall their droids. Letting them resume their trip to the markets. Even if the experience has now left its mark on the party, in particularly with Kyrae whose swagger seems to have been kicked out from underneath her.

The market is what you'd expect, a large plaza lined with various shops. They quickly find a quiet little armor shop where everything seems to be made out of scrap and recycled equipment.
In a rare case of kindness they're allowed to shop for equipment with the pearls they got from Coral. At a very fair rate as well.

In the end most of the party decides to grab some new clothes. Kyrae getting an recycled flight suit and Tieron and Ross picking up some body armor for themselves.

The crew posted:

Kyrae Sisk leans over and whispers to Sirra as Tieron selects his armour.
Kyrae Sisk:"Man, this is really gonna ruin the scenery."
Sirra Iscandar:"It does look very imposing though"
Ross'ti Lan passes Kyrae a glance, grinning.
Ross'ti Lan:"Not fond of a man in uniform, Kyrae? I'm ssuprissed."
Tieron Ravenlocke is more or less oblivious about the whispers as he's putting on his new suit of armor.
Tieron's armour however has no undershirt, the plate fitted too tightly for his bulging pectorals to stand a shirt. The inner lining however has an insulating sheet.
Kyrae Sisk snorts and tries to toss her hair, only for the effect to be ruined by her new helmet
Kyrae Sisk:"Just makes a guy look like a stiff rear end in a top hat, if you ask me."

Now they finally look like they belong on the station, and asking about Norrin they get directed towards a small store further down where he usually works. They thank the shopkeepers for their help and quickly reach a small electronics store crammed into a corner. The front littered with crates of old junk and a small rodian girl works behind the counter.

This is where the GM trap slams shut on us.
Now imagine this, you're working behind the desk in a store when all of a sudden two meter tall Trandoshan wearing armor that belonged to a big game hunter steps through the entrance. Looking like he wants something from you.
What do you do?
You start running of course.

(We, or I guess Ross' player, walked right into that thing. Much to the GM's delight.)

A real hullabaloo breaks out as the rodian behind the counter bolts for the door at the back, screaming at the people in the backroom that the Hutts are here for them. Meanwhile the party is trying to dissuade them that this isn't the fact but their words fall on deaf ears as more doors are opened in a hurry. When the party manages to navigate their way through the store they manage to catch a glimpse of a young man running away and the chase is on.

What follows is an extended chase sequence where the party tries to catch up with the kids. While they manage to keep up the pace they're never able to really catch up to them.
Suddenly things go badly as one of the teenagers they're after manages to trip and fall off a ledge. While the others continue the chase, Ross stops and helps him. With the trandoshan doctor's help his life is stabilised but the fall has rendered him comatose.

Meanwhile the others keep pursuing the others, at one point one almost gets clipped by a errant blaster bolt as they run straight through a gunfight between gangers.
Despite the teenagers best efforts the party manages to keep apace with them and sees them disappearing into through a doorway where a man stands half-hunched over and with a blaster pistol. Kyrae, heedless of the blaster fire in her new armor, charges headlong through the doorway and barrels into the pink-skinned man standing in her way. Inside the small apartment there's suddenly a lot of screaming and scrambling for cover.

Kyrae Sisk posted:

Kyrae Sisk tears her helmet off, panting with exertion, and tries to shake her dishevelled hair away from her face as she turns to the two kids
"He's a bloody doctor, you idiots!"

Next time: Apologies and answers.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 4, 2020

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I like the good campaign stories and the catpiss stories, and I think both should keep getting posted in this, the Notable Gaming Experiences thread.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I have two cat piss stories for you.

I used to play on Roll20 a lot, and as such have a lot of games with people I don't know, who would not be my friends, or who the GM knew only by an open ad on the Looking For Players forum and probably a short Discord interview that was probably just "I'm not a dick, I promise."

One particular thing I like about Roll20 are some of the gaming experiences that are harder to replicate at a table. I like to DM horror games because I turn off the mic and laugh to myself at the absurdity or whatever, then go back "live" with a poker face and continue the tension.

Story 1:

I join a game of D&D 5E pretty much blind. There is a Roll20 gimmick to this game: if your character dies, you are kicked out of the party, and another recruit will come in. You are fired. I had a day off and the house to myself, so I searched for a sort of pick-up game and found one starting in two hours. I'm very familiar with the system, I asked the DM what the composition of the party was, and he pleaded that I should play a healer.

My concept was a Cleric of his homebrew God of Love with the Criminal background, and I wasn't overt about it, but i made the character a sort of omnisexual, just based on the idea that the God of Love wouldn't discriminate. I mentioned this to my DM, but at no point did I say anything of the sort during the game. I let it be a background detail, and my character was imagined as a sort of a cross between Gambit from the X-Men and a Guy Richie character.

The game begins and I'm in a bar with the two other player characters, a stock ninja in black pajamas and the DM's girlfriend playing barbarian boobplate. The DM is describing in his super Canadian voice the exact bar scene from Desperado, down to the name of the beer (Piss Wongchongo? Or something?), and when I act out Tarantino's response, he howls with laughter and gives me a point of Inspiration.

What I'm noticing is how absolutely shell shocked the player of this ninja is. He is appropriately paranoid, distrustful of my character, and bristles with what i assume is jealousy or some possessive need to protect the barbarian from conversation with my character. There have been players who joined this game just to antagonize the other PCs for a time before being thrown out, and the DM makes sure to note that it's all canon, no take-backs, yes that guy who joined the game for 1 day stole all of your gear you've accumulated for months and quit the game.

The first combat begins, as pirates come into the bar. Through a series of checks, they grapple my character and I'm rolling for my life already. The ninja and barbarian player go silent on Discord as the DM starts making a few very choice insults towards my character's sexuality. It's a little subtle at first, as my character is kind of a "pretty boy". So anyway, when he starts describing how the pirates graphically rape my character, I silently closed Discord and noped out. The other two players being so quiet makes me think they either really liked it or really didn't.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Story 2:

Growing a little bored of D&D, and looking to learn a new system, I joined a group playing Deadlands on Roll20. Not just a regular Deadlands, though, this was the special version that was post-apocalyptic. I do not recall the Deadlands: (name) of it.

Anyway, this game has been going on for what seems like years on top of years. The DM, who we will call Murphy, shares a dropbox with me when I go to make my character, and this guy has taken every state map and drawn over it with the new post-apoc map. Read that again. Every. State. Map. Painstaking detail. Thinking I want to see this weird wasteland, I make a road warrior (this may or may not have actually been the name of the class), a class that trades most of it's power for the ability to drive a car well and start with one. It's kind of like being a cavalier in a D&D game, knowing that eventually a DM will make you go in a cave or just in general is going to try to separate you from your mount as often as he can.

My guy is pretty much Snake Plissken driving the Mad Max Interceptor. When I'm building my character (and my car), I take time to make the often suboptimal choice to replicate the Interceptor. I skip putting turrets and flamethrowers and all that poo poo on it. It's much easier and better to make your road warrior's car a bulletproof humvee then it is to make a v8 muscle car.

Murphy also asks how old my character is, and then a dozen tables unfurl for me to roll on for noteworthy experiences in my life, which give me a ton of little things, injuries, perks, background NPCs, the works.

The other players in this game:
- A guy who I can unfortunately hear his chair squeak under the immense weight of his rear end whenever he leans back to rub his chins in satisfaction from a particular good play he think he made. You can no poo poo hear him smugly declare something, then hear the chair groan as he does the Antonio Banderas meme. Tacticool character dressed in full SWAT gear with facemask and everything else, min-maxing and proud of it.
- A gal who writes sub Chuck Tingle porn books, but is still somehow the worst writer in the group. She is playing a very flirtatious character that borders on sexual loving misconduct and the other players don't want to say anything because they think it's hot.
- A turbonerd who is always arguing with the DM. He's playing some sort of psychic wasteland karate assassin using all of the fringe splatbooks that came out for this game that tried to incorporate poo poo like Fist of the North Star unsuccessfully.

The DM, who in this game is called the "Marshall", is a guy named Murphy. He sounds like Earl from the Squidbillies, and if you think of a particular style of DMing as "cinematic", this is a DM who wants to make the game like a television show. Some games approach this (Monster of the Week is a good one), but this DM is describing opening credit scenes and directing freeze frames with voiceovers and "on-screen" text.

He sets the first game for 6 PM, and I join up, ready to get started. 6 PM comes, everyone piles into Discord. As we are waiting to play, the players and DM began to regal me with their stories of past sessions. They tell me about the time they went to X city, X monument, they fought X enemy. Sounds cool.

7 PM. They are still talking about past games and reminiscing. This is what a lot of Discord Roll20 groups do in between games to try and keep communication open. If you don't say a word to someone for 2 weeks on Roll20, it's likely they may feel on the outs and leave. With hundreds of games, people no-show and quit for no reason all the loving time.

9 PM. THEY ARE STILL CHUCKLING TELLING ME STORIES ABOUT PAST GAMES. At this point, as the new guy, I've been listening and laughing politely, but I finally ask if we are going to play tonight. Everyone gets kind of pissed. The DM does the opening credits, describes my character for me, tells me what I'm doing, etc.
Note: I should note here that ole Murphy doesn't respond unless you call him Marshall. He also will sometimes play your round for you if you decided to do something he didn't want you to do, and still waited on your applause when he then introduced a wrench to the scenario he created and the reaction he took from you to make it.

The most stock boring unprepared nothing story begins as we are tasked to drive into town and grab a macguffin. I think it may have been medicine, or a battery. The NPCs provide the other characters cars that Marshall Murphy makes sure to note are way cooler than mine, way more battle ready. We roll into town, and immediately see a terminator t-800. Like not an actual one, but this game is so full of pop culture references it may as well be a Bethesda Fallout game, right? We see a full on loving terminator.

Deadlands uses a system where you draw playing cards based on your Initative which gives you multiple turns. I'm excited to use it. Murphy (remember the maps?) has tables upon tables upon tables. Whenever you fire a gun, he cross-references the tables he made about bullet type, wind, material it's penetrating, etc. Dozens of subsystems weighing everything down and making everything as granular as possible. In a way, with him doing the work, I'm ready to watch the Garry's Mod of effects go whacky. The stories they told me of bullets bouncing off of X, setting the whole town on fire, we rolled to hit him in the ear canal! etc.

My character, Jack, sees the terminator. Murphy rolls a reaction for me. He laughs. He rolls on another table. Another one. Another one.

"Jack, you collapse as you have a heart attack upon seeing the robot." My hardened road warrior in the first round of combat collapsed in a heart attack.

I don't want to be rude, so I listened in silence for the next hour and a half as they killed the terminator and raided the McDonalds to find the medicine. Didn't get to play at all session 1.

I took the punch on the chin and renamed my character "Heart Attack Jack", and would play another session in Murphy's game, but that was it. I still had access to his dropbox, and when I went to check it absently a few months later, I found a sheet with Jack's car, now belonging to chair squeak. Just another story to tell the next guy about how they got a cool car.

E: I crit failed on a bunch of tables and got the comedy "you actually die from a heart attack" on the d10000 table made only for reference and as a extreme case to show what could possibly happen, maybe, to someone, somewhere. I say die, because this seriously handicaps your character. If I remember correctly, all my stats were halved or more.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 4, 2020

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Podima posted:

I like the good campaign stories and the catpiss stories, and I think both should keep getting posted in this, the Notable Gaming Experiences thread.

Part of it is that goons are older and waaaay less willing to subject themselves to bullshit than they used to be so the stories have gotten less terrible on average.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

imo people should feel free to post stories they've seen elsewhere on the internet

like this:

quote:

I have played D&D with the same group for a few years and I have decided to dm. We tend to use a lot of tropes in our campaigns so I thought I should try something “different”. My idea was to set up a very basic campaign where the players hear of a prophecy where there are the 4 hero’s of legend (there are four player) and they are destined to defeat the dark lord who attacks the world every 1000 years. So now the player believe they are the destined heroes so they voyage on this quest to destroy the dark lord but a few cessions in they hear that the dark lord was defeated by another group of adventures. The point is to shows my players that they aren’t destined heroes, I want my campaign to be open world I I thought this would show them that the world will move around them no matter what and won’t wait for them to get around to solving the problems.

good advice: make the world feel real!

reality: you hear about exciting things happening elsewhere, nothing you do makes much of a difference on them

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 4, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i can't believe it took me so long to do this

quote:

Sorry if I went on a bit of a rant here.Ok, so I have a small problem in the game I am running. I am a moderately long time narrator, but I mostly run short heavilly improvised action stories. One game is quite different though. For many years I play a game with my cousin when we meet up. It is often just 1v1 me narrating and he playing.

Several years ago he wanted romantic interest for his character, only requirement, it had to be a dragon which can change into human form. Ok, I can roll with that. I made her this badass former general of her aunt´s (dragon lord) army. She was angry with how dragon society was run, so she pretended to die in battle and joined the dragonriders of an empire which basically viewed dragons as animal companions, livestock, pets as well as gods. Their worldview was closer to her. She became a captain there too.

It was a nice arc. Which ended by my cousin completely destroying everything his love interest stood for, killing all her friends and kidnapping her! (He didn´t know the human looking captain of dragonriders was his prospect love interest, he met her only in her dragon form before then)

She also developed sort of friendship with my cousin´s character secret "fursona" (his character can change into dragon). When she discovered his fursona and his character were the same person, she was angry, but I planned some character development for her. Nope, my cousin freaked out and wiped her memory with an artifact he had. Subsequently he made his fursona look as a total rear end in a top hat when he trampled all over her worldview and basically called her opinion on everything stupid and tried to get her join his squad saying something about how his character can teach her the right opinions on things. I had to narrate her in character so she ended her friendship with the fursona, walked away and joined the dragon worshiping empire again.

They have met several times since then. But I just can not get the romance going even though me and my cousin want to. I even retconned some of her aspects to find cousin´s character´s personality imposing. But he just always acts like she is dumber than him, like his opinions on things are always better. He says he likes her „strong will“, but if I narrate her like a strong will character she always was, there is just no way she can end up with him if it goes like this.

Main problem I think is her opinion that dragon society is flawed, which it is, trust me. She fights against the dragon establisment etc.. But my cousin has a totally different vision about that, as he wrote fanfiction about the founder of the dragon race whom he retconned to poo poo from an apathetic rear end in a top hat to „One of the only few morally pure beings in the universe“ I repeatedly said to him that is not how I see it. (but I foolishly somehow retconned that founder of dragon race to please him anyway, hosed up dragon society stayed the same though).

Can I get your opinion on how to get them together? This campaign of mine is coming to an end and I don´t know how to end this plot thread.

Thank you for reading all this and for your answers.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Doc Hawkins posted:

good advice: make the world feel real!

reality: you hear about exciting things happening elsewhere, nothing you do makes much of a difference on them

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Firstborn posted:

The DM is describing in his super Canadian voice the exact bar scene from Desperado, down to the name of the beer (Piss Wongchongo? Or something?)

"Piss-warm Chango", Chango being a fictional beer brand Robert Rodriguez likes to throw into his movies

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Dude did the full bit from Desperado, without shame. A great movie. I watched it a ton as a kid, but he didn't even try to put a fantasy twist on it. Cheech saying "we know! we piss in it!" everything.
There was probably a poo poo covered stall in the bathroom.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Doc Hawkins posted:

i can't believe it took me so long to do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Dragon lady sounds rad. Sounds like a cool if wasted setting.

TBF most of my session summaries are me being the catpiss even though I enjoy the campaign so like, take that as you will.