Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Ricketts suck and Chris Meyers is a step down, but calling Len Vanilla is overselling vanilla. Nice guy, but an example the perfectly modern cookie cutter broadcaster who says nothing of consequence and thinks reading you stats is somehow interesting. Finally some revenge on the Sox for the Quintana trade. His style probably works better on radio though.

Good way for AM 1000 to get some fanfare for bringing the Sox back from WGN. Was always odd hearing them on the Cubs radio station. Too bad for Andy Masur, he was good enough on the radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

last night i had a dream that, in an act of retaliation, the cubs brought in Hawk Harrelson

KDdidit posted:

The Ricketts suck and Chris Meyers is a step down, but calling Len Vanilla is overselling vanilla. Nice guy, but an example the perfectly modern cookie cutter broadcaster who says nothing of consequence and thinks reading you stats is somehow interesting. Finally some revenge on the Sox for the Quintana trade. His style probably works better on radio though.

Good way for AM 1000 to get some fanfare for bringing the Sox back from WGN. Was always odd hearing them on the Cubs radio station. Too bad for Andy Masur, he was good enough on the radio.

Len Kasper is really good for a local announcer, did you ever have MLB TV back when you could only watch home team broadcasts and see what kinds of buffoons and maniacs are out there for other teams? Not everyone can have Bennetti, who is in my opinion the best in the business.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 4, 2020

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Awful Announcing confirms it will be Chris Myers, whoever that is.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

Awful Announcing confirms it will be Chris Myers, whoever that is.

Chris Myers is the man who gave us this legendary moment, unless there's another one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wIm_41OIOM

I don't think I've ever heard him call baseball but he's like a replacement level football and basketball play play man he's fine

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 4, 2020

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it is almost impossible to gently caress up broadcasting baseball more than the cubs have in the last year.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

R.D. Mangles posted:

it is almost impossible to gently caress up broadcasting baseball more than the cubs have in the last year.

The Ricketts, loving a good thing up? Surely you jest!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

well, the myers hiring makes sense, he's definitely what the Cubs are looking for:

quote:

Fox broadcaster Chris Myers apologized Thursday to the people of New Orleans for disparaging remarks he made about the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Mayor Mitch Landrieu sent a letter to Fox Sports president Ed Goren demanding the apology from Myers for comments made Monday on the Dan Patrick Radio Show. Myers talked about the flood victims in Tennessee pulling together to help themselves, instead of standing on roof tops and blaming the government -- an obvious reference to Katrina victims.

The mayor, in his letter dated Thursday, said he was especially disappointed in what he called “offensive and unacceptable” comments by Myers, because Myers once lived and worked in New Orleans.

“I would very much like to apologize to you and the people of New Orleans for the inappropriate and insensitive remarks I made this past Monday,” Myers said. “Clearly, these remarks demonstrated poor judgment and I sincerely regret making them.”

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

last night i had a dream that, in an act of retaliation, the cubs brought in Hawk Harrelson

Len Kasper is really good for a local announcer, did you ever have MLB TV back when you could only watch home team broadcasts and see what kinds of buffoons and maniacs are out there for other teams? Not everyone can have Bennetti, who is in my opinion the best in the business.

I’d rather have Tommy Williams out of the Gary Railcats booth giving me a “Howdy Padnah” home run call than’s Kermit’s call. JHood does a great Len impersonation. A buffoon or a maniac would at least be interesting.

If the Sox could get Bennetti and Walton to broadcast every game that’d be cool. Jason gave a keynote speech at a conference I was at in Galena once. Was planned well in advance, but earlier in the week something came up and he got asked to a radio broadcast of the Bears Packers game. Was a noon kick in Chicago but he still made it out to Galena by 7. Told a great anecdote about interviewing Ed Orgeron while Ed was downing those little paper coleslaw cups like shots.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

well, the myers hiring makes sense, he's definitely what the Cubs are looking for:

Myers is a huge chud so this makes sense with Ricketts and Sinclair calling the shots. Was always fishy that they brought him in last year in a part time role.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Niwrad posted:

Myers is a huge chud so this makes sense with Ricketts and Sinclair calling the shots. Was always fishy that they brought him in last year in a part time role.

At least he'll have to put up with drunk rear end Jeff Garlin from time to time.

What else they gonna do? Change Wrigley Field to gently caress the poors stadium?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Late to the party but lmao at the Cubs just burning every ounce of good will they had from 2016 as fast as possible.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm surprised the job isn't going to Dempster, it felt like they were trying real hard to groom him for the role this year.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
God dammit I'm starting to miss the Cubs not doing jack poo poo during the offseason

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

R.D. Mangles posted:

EAT poo poo

you loving ted cruz looking motherfucker

"We're looking at 30 teams with zero revenue." is why I refuse to entertain even good-faith talk from (non-FO) people about salary cap/floors. Teams have sliced their revenue streams up so finely that they can pick any number for "baseball revenue" and have it be technically true.

Or are the Cubs saying Marquee made literally 0 dollars which seems like A Bigger Problem than non-tenders.

Also describing COVID lockdowns as a loving "work stoppage" gently caress all the way off you dipshit.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

R.D. Mangles posted:

FUUUUUCCCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUUU

EAT poo poo

you loving ted cruz looking motherfucker

I wish someone would have told poor Steve Cohen before he flushed 2 billion down the toilet on a guaranteed money-loser. What an idiot!

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Ken Burns told me that owners have been trying to kill the sport for more than a hundred years, yet here it stands. Hopefully we get through the next CBA with minimal damage.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

"We're looking at 30 teams with zero revenue." is why I refuse to entertain even good-faith talk from (non-FO) people about salary cap/floors. Teams have sliced their revenue streams up so finely that they can pick any number for "baseball revenue" and have it be technically true.

Or are the Cubs saying Marquee made literally 0 dollars which seems like A Bigger Problem than non-tenders.

Also describing COVID lockdowns as a loving "work stoppage" gently caress all the way off you dipshit.

I mean, there's no way a salary cap or floor would work without MLB and all the teams completely opening up their books, if not to the public then at least to some kind of independent panel that reviews and then pegs the floor/ceiling appropriately.

But that'll never happen so lol

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The funniest quote from Ricketts there is "Who would invest at the moment?" in regards to selling equity.

The stock market is juiced to the gills because wealthy people literally can not find anywhere else to invest their (free from the government) cash right now. MLB teams have appreciated at remarkable rates for the past several decades.

There are few asset classes more attractive to wealthy investors right now than an MLB franchise would be.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

one man booth with coomer

Ron Coomer eating an Italian beef sandwich ASMR

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
"Who would invest in MLB right now???" I scream as one of the wealthiest people in the world has literally, within the past several weeks, invested in purchasing a major market MLB team and immediately started pouring money into its staff.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

to be fair, this was an article from July 2. But the "biblical losses" quote is deserves to be roasted again.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb_iOQrPWOw

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I hate you

You too.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sam Miller cut from ESPN, hopefully he lands somewhere better. He has always been my favorite of the EW crew

https://twitter.com/SamMillerBB/status/1334928469155704832

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/extrabaggs/status/1334689580105097216

How do we still not know if the NL will use a DH next year. Free agents are already signing.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Because the longer it's in limbo the more of a squeeze it puts on existing FA's. Schwarber or Cruz's values shoot up a lot of NL teams can be in on them as well as AL teams for example. It only helps owners for the situation to be unclear for as long as possible.

In addition, since it sounds like the overwhelming majority of players want the DH in the NL, Manfred can use it as a bargaining chip to extract concessions from the MLBPA vs just throwing them a bone for free.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

bawfuls posted:

Sam Miller cut from ESPN, hopefully he lands somewhere better. He has always been my favorite of the EW crew

https://twitter.com/SamMillerBB/status/1334928469155704832

Sam was always way too good for ESPN and the comments on his articles proved it. I'm sure he'll land on his feet, hopefully in a way that lets him keep doing EW. Although I will say I've enjoyed the Meg & Ben episodes more than the Sam & Ben episodes since they started doing them. Meg is just great.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

definitive EW host rankings

Sam
Meg
Jeff
Ben

I could see putting Ben ahead of Jeff, but the other two are clearly better than both. I like Meg a lot but I prefer Sam because imo he comes up with the most creative/unusual ways of thinking about things.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Mustached Demon posted:

What else they gonna do? Change Wrigley Field to gently caress the poors stadium?

Have you seen their ticket prices from 2015 to today? They already did, and took the surrounding area with it.

Gotta dust off this gem.

https://twitter.com/madkenney/status/1218535475079593984?lang=en

Monkey's paw curls and you won't be booing Marquee Network in a year because nobody is watching...

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

The Cubs are making a few bucks a month off every cable subscriber in the Chicago area to run poker and tape delay tennis matches right now.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/MLBastian/status/1334909204293955587

Yeah somehow not buying that this is the first opportunity to move to radio for Len in his what, 16 years of being a broadcaster? Definitely getting the sense this isn't a move he makes if he weren't unhappy with Marquee.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The Athletic should be blowing up Sam's phone right now if they know what's good for them.

bawfuls posted:

definitive EW host rankings

Sam
Meg
Jeff
Ben

I could see putting Ben ahead of Jeff, but the other two are clearly better than both. I like Meg a lot but I prefer Sam because imo he comes up with the most creative/unusual ways of thinking about things.

Ben's job (I think he's actually said this before) is to be a steady hand on the tiller, so people usually rank him at the bottom because he kind of subsumes his personality in the name of consistency.

Niwrad posted:

The Cubs are making a few bucks a month off every cable subscriber in the Chicago area to run poker and tape delay tennis matches right now.

See, not baseball revenue!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://twitter.com/RangerBlake/status/1334969072979685379?s=20

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/MLBastian/status/1334909204293955587

Yeah somehow not buying that this is the first opportunity to move to radio for Len in his what, 16 years of being a broadcaster? Definitely getting the sense this isn't a move he makes if he weren't unhappy with Marquee.

Kasper is way too professional to say anything negative on the way out. Just seems like if he's had an itch for radio, he'd be looking for a bigger opportunity. Cubs PbP has to be one of the more sought after jobs on the market. And filling that with Chris Myers of all people is brutal.

Sad part is him and Deshaies were so good together. Both embraced analytics with a mix of old-time stories. They both knew their baseball history well.

What an embarrassing moment for the Ricketts.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Apparently December 8th is when we find out what the new minor league structure looks like

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Editing my 2016 World Series Blu-ray to end with “NOTE: The Chicago Cubs died on their way back to their home planet.”

idontpoast
Jul 10, 2020

by Athanatos
The only good thing baseball wise for 2020 has been the jays finally getting rid of Mike Wilner

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Splint Chesthair posted:

Editing my 2016 World Series Blu-ray to end with “NOTE: The Chicago Cubs died on their way back to their home planet.”

Bracing for the inevitable Kris Bryant trade for a bust prospect and some utility guy with team control.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/AP_Sports/status/1335022576716947459

Buh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

idontpoast posted:

The only good thing baseball wise for 2020 has been the jays finally getting rid of Mike Wilner

I feel like I am in the minority in actually enjoying Wilner. When I still listened to his Jays Talk after the game, it was always fun to listen to him dunk on callers.