Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

He can win an emmy but he still can't build a real rewind remote for Morty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

As Nero Danced posted:

He can win an emmy but he still can't build a real rewind remote for Morty.

Sure he could. He just didn't want to. Did you even WATCH the Emmy-award-winning episode!?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

oh come on of all the episodes, THAT one?

must've been the morty's-happy-relationship montage.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That episode actually really rules because IIRC the entire montage sequence was more or less a bit the director sort of suggested or put together that wasn’t in the original script... drat I wish I could remember, but there’s a video out there explaining it or maybe a goon post, but I remember being blown away by that scene and then blown away again when I found out it almost wasn’t in the script and then BLOWN AWAY a third time when I realized they were all dressed like South Park.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Excelzior posted:

oh come on of all the episodes, THAT one?

must've been the morty's-happy-relationship montage.

You win for an episode the show selects - each show only gets to choose 1 I believe. Even for non-animated stuff, each show submits one show for voters, just like actors/actresses choose one episode to be nominated from.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

It's also really likely that the only episode of the season / perhaps the series that any given emmy voter will watch is the one you submit. So it's best to submit the episode that not neccesarily represents your show best, but the one that will appeal the most to someone only watching one episode.

And that's ignoring the voters who will not watch anything and vote for a) the popular one b) the show that won before c) the show they were paid or told to vote for. The Emmys are not thought to be as blatantly corrupt as, say the golden globes, but it's part of the equation.

Industry awards are not the best indicator of quality, and everyone in the industry knows that, but you still feel good if you win an Emmy all the same.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 20, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Will Ferrell ones described the Emmys as the jury duty of Hollywood

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's pretty common with awards that the judges literally don't watch most of the animated candidates unless their kids did.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

That episode actually really rules because IIRC the entire montage sequence was more or less a bit the director sort of suggested or put together that wasn’t in the original script... drat I wish I could remember, but there’s a video out there explaining it or maybe a goon post, but I remember being blown away by that scene and then blown away again when I found out it almost wasn’t in the script and then BLOWN AWAY a third time when I realized they were all dressed like South Park.

They talk about it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoPLtwr-OPg&t=72s

They came up 5 minutes short and the director came up with that whole sequence to fill it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ashpanash posted:

It's also really likely that the only episode of the season / perhaps the series that any given emmy voter will watch is the one you submit. So it's best to submit the episode that not neccesarily represents your show best, but the one that will appeal the most to someone only watching one episode.

And that's ignoring the voters who will not watch anything and vote for a) the popular one b) the show that won before c) the show they were paid or told to vote for. The Emmys are not thought to be as blatantly corrupt as, say the golden globes, but it's part of the equation.

Industry awards are not the best indicator of quality, and everyone in the industry knows that, but you still feel good if you win an Emmy all the same.

J.K Simmons on Marc Maron's podcast a week or so ago said that getting an Oscar to him is not "for you" as much as other people can say "I worked with Oscar winner X" and it helps create good memories for others.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Maybe not him since he's kind of a perennial supporting actor, but an Oscar tends to bump a lead actor's asking price 3-4 million.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

You win for an episode the show selects - each show only gets to choose 1 I believe. Even for non-animated stuff, each show submits one show for voters, just like actors/actresses choose one episode to be nominated from.

Yeah, it's good in concept because then voters don't technically have to watch an entire series to make an informed vote (assuming they were anyway). Then you end up with dumb situations like Cecily Strong from SNL getting a nomination for an episode she's barely in.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

What the fuuuck, just got the blu ray season 4, and there is no goddamn commentary tracks

Did they not do them?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Corona Hellworld

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

BrotherJayne posted:

What the fuuuck, just got the blu ray season 4, and there is no goddamn commentary tracks

Did they not do them?

Yeah, I just discovered this as well. Unfortunate.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Why is the animation so weird in the pilot episode? I can’t figure it out but it’s definitely weird.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It was made in Flash.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I thought the second to last episode was the last episode up until tonight somehow and just watched the finale a minute ago despite owning it for months. It was good.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

BrotherJayne posted:

Did they not do them?

Well, this was basically the reason I was buying the Blu-Rays, so good to know I can skip this season!

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Faustian Bargain posted:

Why is the animation so weird in the pilot episode? I can’t figure it out but it’s definitely weird.

it looks different because the character puppets and designs were slightly more rudimentary and less refined. this is typical of any pilot as your making the show with a skeleton crew and more experienced artists are harder to come by for short term projects. there was also less oversight for the scenes that had to be traditionally animated. if you look at the opening credits there is still the giant frog scene which has some super unrefined designs and the line weight is going crazy. its still from the original pilot and we never adjusted it to our current day standards.

everything about this scene is mismatched, patched together and off style. notice how unresolved the frogs feet are, and how simple the tree is in the background. the original artist is not to blame of course, they were working with what they had on a super tight budget and the scene is animated extremely well considering. and that's pretty much the reason we never replaced it. its not broken so we have never fixed it.

we have a much higher standard for the initial designs nowadays, compare that frog to the king rat from the pickle rick episode

Also no part of the show is animated in flash. the production has always been animated in toon boom harmony from the beginning except for the original channel 101 shorts which were mostly photoshop and after effects. flash is a great traditional animation program that i personally use all the time, and you could conceivably animate some shots in it and have it look correct. but the main issue with flash aside from the rudimentary rigging tools/lack of network assets, is the limitation of animated characters you can have on screen at once in one file. that is why shows like bojack/tuca and bertie/teen titans go can exist in flash pipeline, but rick and morty cannot.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Isn't flash also notoriously inefficient? In the Long Long Ago, I remember Newgrounds used to shred my CPU worse than Crysis ever did. :pcgaming:

I think Metalocalyse also used flash? Maybe that's why we never got any more... :tinfoil:

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
They made a butterbot
https://thebutterrobot.com/#top-fold

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Rewatched S4 last night because frankly I just missed the show and holy poo poo the writing is fuckin’ tight last season I fuckin cannot wait for S5, I feel like it’s gonna hit a whole new level of weird.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Typical posted:

it looks different because the character puppets and designs were slightly more rudimentary and less refined. this is typical of any pilot as your making the show with a skeleton crew and more experienced artists are harder to come by for short term projects. there was also less oversight for the scenes that had to be traditionally animated. if you look at the opening credits there is still the giant frog scene which has some super unrefined designs and the line weight is going crazy. its still from the original pilot and we never adjusted it to our current day standards.

everything about this scene is mismatched, patched together and off style. notice how unresolved the frogs feet are, and how simple the tree is in the background. the original artist is not to blame of course, they were working with what they had on a super tight budget and the scene is animated extremely well considering. and that's pretty much the reason we never replaced it. its not broken so we have never fixed it.

we have a much higher standard for the initial designs nowadays, compare that frog to the king rat from the pickle rick episode

Also no part of the show is animated in flash. the production has always been animated in toon boom harmony from the beginning except for the original channel 101 shorts which were mostly photoshop and after effects. flash is a great traditional animation program that i personally use all the time, and you could conceivably animate some shots in it and have it look correct. but the main issue with flash aside from the rudimentary rigging tools/lack of network assets, is the limitation of animated characters you can have on screen at once in one file. that is why shows like bojack/tuca and bertie/teen titans go can exist in flash pipeline, but rick and morty cannot.
This is really cool. Thanks for sharing.

By the way, I wasn't meaning to criticize, I was genuinely asking why it feels so different and you explained it very well.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Bust Rodd posted:

Rewatched S4 last night because frankly I just missed the show and holy poo poo the writing is fuckin’ tight last season I fuckin cannot wait for S5, I feel like it’s gonna hit a whole new level of weird.

I was stuck in hospital and Cartoon Network marathoned it and, yeah: S4 slaps. :hmmyes:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Trolling around different scraps of internet and found a very interesting and honestly pretty compelling argument being made for Jerry just being Beth’s Morty and I’m gonna run with that because it makes way, way more sense than anything else I can put together in my head.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Trolling around different scraps of internet and found a very interesting and honestly pretty compelling argument being made for Jerry just being Beth’s Morty and I’m gonna run with that because it makes way, way more sense than anything else I can put together in my head.

But Space Beth seems to get along fine without him and she's the Beth that would need protection the most!

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I always notice the weird cartoon frogs and I love them.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

PostNouveau posted:

But Space Beth seems to get along fine without him and she's the Beth that would need protection the most!

She’s also not hiding from the Federation, she’s directly attacking them

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I don't think Rick was being honest that the reason he keeps Morty around is the psychic protection. Lying with a truth there.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Huh?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Rick said the reasons ricks need mortys is a sort of psychic camoflage

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ikanreed posted:

I don't think Rick was being honest that the reason he keeps Morty around is the psychic protection. Lying with a truth there.

Then why did Evil Morty have so many Morties strapped to his Morty Dome?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Then why did Evil Morty have so many Morties strapped to his Morty Dome?

The psychic protection thing does exist, but OP is saying that it isn't the entire reason our Rick keeps Morty around (that's why the phrase "lying with a truth")

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

PostNouveau posted:

For all we know she has a Space Summer with her, but she just plays the loner shtick like her dad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pretty sure the idea is more that Morty's crushing averageness makes Rick feel all the more special and smart, and Jerry is very similarly so to Beth, making her feel better because he's so meh.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The show also sort of goes out of its way to imply that she's never cheated on Jerry despite being a superhot blonde mega-genius, and the marriage counseling episode sort of just spells out that she needs Jerry to elevate her self-esteem because Rick destroyed it in the first place. She didn't even go on a date during their separation, did she? While Jerry was out grabbing all kinds of alien box?

Rick hates Jerry for stealing Beth's potential away from her, but he actually destroyed her potential by abandoning her instead of nurturing her to his level.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rick is a narcissist who deflects blame for his own failings onto others, yes. Do get the impression that Beth doesn't really have much of a sex drive. Though their relationship is spelled out as co-dependent in that whole marriage counselling episode; Jerry is aware of Beth's potential and both fears and admires it, while Beth finds him useful and unthreatening.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I don't think there was a prior announcement, but Solar Opposites was added to Disney Plus in the UK with the Star expansion. Don't think it's been available here before now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
https://twitter.com/atrubens/status/1363206701596303367?s=21