Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Lord_Magmar posted:

She's been super hardcore christian on twitter for ages at this point as far as I can tell. Like deep in the everything christian is good and Jesus saves your soul levels, as opposed to just generically christian because it's there.

Which yeah, puts her in a position to experience, and believe in, these sorts of points of view. Now she herself hasn't actuallys aid anything strictly speaking wrong, but it's not a great look right now or ever, first with the Anti-COVID vaccine thing, and then turning out her source on that is the dude just shown a few posts up.

"idg why everyone is so mad at me, I just suggested the COVID vaccine is created with the assistance of Lucifer himself?"

Her agent must be smacking their head against their desk rn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sounds like a good reason to become Satanist.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Mordiceius posted:

I remember going and seeing a midnight showing of Watchmen and when I was walking back to my car there were two very large, angry, neckbeards in the parking lot loudly talking about how the movie was ruined because Zack Snyder refused to do the giant alien squid and how it was basically a crime against humanity because there was no stupid squid..

That's correct though?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Watchmen is a shallow, cynical and boring mess of a movie and the absence of mega squid is not even close to the biggest problem in it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Necrothatcher posted:

Her agent must be smacking their head against their desk rn.
"Think for yourselves steeple! Here, watch this YouTube video where some guy tells me what to think!"

:chugs diesel: Oh, guess I'm ~*cancelled*~ for doing my own research!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ryan Coogler sighs and creates new Final Draft project titled Black Panther 2 v3.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

getting rid of the squid was an excellent decision and I stand by this. i will not be accepting questions thank you

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The issue people tend to have with the squid not being in the movie is that they substituted something that breaks the plot if you think about it a little bit. If they'd swapped the squid out for another outside force instead of Manhattan himself, I don't think we would've seen those complaints.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Basebf555 posted:

The issue people tend to have with the squid not being in the movie is that they substituted something that breaks the plot if you think about it a little bit. If they'd swapped the squid out for another outside force instead of Manhattan himself, I don't think we would've seen those complaints.

Yeah, they could have seeded a fake energy signal coming from space and have the same ending with the explosions.

Squid was still better because the absolute weirdness of it is kinda the keystone of it working.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Basebf555 posted:

No. The issue is the lack of giant squid.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah, they could have seeded a fake energy signal coming from space and have the same ending with the explosions.

Squid was still better because the absolute weirdness of it is kinda the keystone of it working.

I don't know about that. Humans are really good at otherizing threats and "threats," and no one hates an outsider quite as much as they hate apostates.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Most of the world already hates and fears Dr Manhattan, so all you've got to do is make the Americans hate him too. I imagine the unspoken next step of the plan would be for all the world's governments to give massive amounts of money and power to the one person on earth who worked most closely with Manhattan and would have the best idea on how to develop weapons to fight him, one Adrian Veidt

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

2house2fly posted:

Most of the world already hates and fears Dr Manhattan, so all you've got to do is make the Americans hate him too. I imagine the unspoken next step of the plan would be for all the world's governments to give massive amounts of money and power to the one person on earth who worked most closely with Manhattan and would have the best idea on how to develop weapons to fight him, one Adrian Veidt

The key is that you need something where there isn't one specific country to blame, so that everyone is united and nobody gets trigger happy and sparks the nuclear apocalypse. Manhattan as a threat doesn't do that, he's too identified as an American weapon so it's hard to see why Veidt would choose that method and risk some other country just saying gently caress it we can't take a chance let's just nuke the Americans.

Veidt actually seems to not care about gaining more money and power. He's perfectly confident that his intellect and ability make money and power a simple thing, he can get them whenever he chooses to. He really does honestly want to prevent the end of the world, he's just incredibly ruthless about accomplishing it.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 4, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Basebf555 posted:

The key is that you need something where there isn't one specific country to blame, so that everyone is united and nobody gets trigger happy and sparks the nuclear apocalypse. Manhattan as a threat doesn't do that, he's too identified as an American weapon so it's hard to see why Veidt would choose that method and risk some other country just saying gently caress it we can't take a chance let's just nuke the Americans.

Veidt actually seems to not care about gaining more money and power. He's perfectly confident that his intellect and ability make money and power a simple thing, he can get them whenever he chooses to. He really does honestly want to prevent the end of the world, he's just incredibly ruthless about accomplishing it.

Yeah, he wants to prevent the end of the world, and he also wants to be the one to do it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, he wants to prevent the end of the world, and he also wants to be the one to do it.

Yea he wants credit and adulation, not money and more power. Not much credit to be had if you actually end up causing the apocalypse you were trying to prevent.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Wait, I'm confused, I thought the point, regardless of whether it's space squids or Manhattan nuking major cities, was that Ozymandias thinks he's right but he's going to be wrong and he will become like the statue in the poem.

Are people in here claiming he's actually right and the squids would prove him right but the Manhattan project wouldn't?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Aces High posted:

Wait, I'm confused, I thought the point, regardless of whether it's space squids or Manhattan nuking major cities, was that Ozymandias thinks he's right but he's going to be wrong and he will become like the statue in the poem.

Are people in here claiming he's actually right and the squids would prove him right but the Manhattan project wouldn't?

He probably will end up being wrong(Rorschach's diary being delivered at the end seems to indicate that), but it's just a matter of whether or not the actual plan has some logic to it. He's a super genius, I think the story works better if you don't have a big logical hole in his grand plan.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Basebf555 posted:

In the movie, every country capable of nuclear strikes just had a taste of what nuclear war actually means. I'd say it is very likely they would be more hesitant to pull triggers than before.

Also, I prefer the movie ending because America needed to be humbled for the plan to work*. Before the squid, international politics consisted of Nixon swinging his big blue dick around, I don't see how the squid would change that mindset for long enough to foster meaningful cooperation.

Or did I miss/forget that the squid finally made Nixon step down somehow?

edit: To clarify, "work" as in put a temporary stop to the immediate threat of nuclear war, not the way Ozy means.

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 4, 2020

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Also, I prefer the movie ending because America needed to be humbled for the plan to work.

Right. My recollection is that the movie makes the nuclear doomsday threat a problem predominantly caused by America. Placing extra pressure on it to fall in line is a benefit of the plan, not a problem with it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Grendels Dad posted:

In the movie, every country capable of nuclear strikes just had a taste of what nuclear war actually means. I'd say it is very likely they would be more hesitant to pull triggers than before.

Also, I prefer the movie ending because America needed to be humbled for the plan to work*. Before the squid, international politics consisted of Nixon swinging his big blue dick around, I don't see how the squid would change that mindset for long enough to foster meaningful cooperation.

Or did I miss/forget that the squid finally made Nixon step down somehow?

edit: To clarify, "work" as in put a temporary stop to the immediate threat of nuclear war, not the way Ozy means.

No. Seymour mentions that Robert Redford is planning to run in 1988, and in the TV series we learn that he won, but at the end of Watchmen #12 Nixon is still president.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

BigglesSWE posted:

Watchmen is a shallow, cynical and boring mess of a movie and the absence of mega squid is not even close to the biggest problem in it.

Watchmen is a very cynical book so it sounds like your problem is with the source material.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I like that Lindelof invited Redford to cameo in a letter he totally ignored:

quote:

“We wrote Robert Redford a letter, describing our intention with his usage in the show. And, also, what our general sense of what Watchmen was to us. And, an incredibly high esteem in which we hold him both as an actor, and a purveyor of the arts. And, also, as a prominent progressive liberal, who shares many of the same ideologies with a number of us, behind the scenes. And, we left the door open in that letter, should he choose to respond to it, that we would invite him to come and play on the show, if he were game. He’s a very busy man, and he has yet to respond to the letter. But, hopefully, one day we will cross paths, and that door will always be open.”

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It's also worth mentioning that in the Watchmen TV show, Veidt is still following through on the squids. He teleports a bunch of tiny squids that rain from the sky every so often just to keep people on their toes. Otherwise they would just forget over time.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It's also worth mentioning that in the Watchmen TV show, Veidt is still following through on the squids. He teleports a bunch of tiny squids that rain from the sky every so often just to keep people on their toes. Otherwise they would just forget over time.

lol

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Watchmen is a very cynical book so it sounds like your problem is with the source material.

If the movie had an inkling of the cynical depth that the book has then you’d have a point. But it don’t, so you don’t.

It’s cynical in the same way it’s shallow: it treats the source material like it’s “cool” and obsesses over visual representation, without giving a moments thought to what the visuals means other than “cool suite, dude!”

I guess a neater way to put it is: the book has a cynical view on superheroes. The movie, IMO, has a view of superheroes that is cynical in the context of it being an adaptation.

Movie bad. Book good.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 4, 2020

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I would think sticking the words of Trump into the mouth of Marvel’s leading superhero is way more cynical and shallow, but bss loves that movie, so

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

BigglesSWE posted:

It’s cynical in the same way it’s shallow: it treats the source material like it’s “cool” and obsesses over visual representation, without giving a moments thought to what the visuals means other than “cool suite, dude!”

Look man, if I wanted io9's take I would just visit the website. You don't have to parrot it back to us.

It's very obvious that Watchmen: the Movie does not think that its source material is exclusively "cool" because otherwise there's no reason to show one of the protagonists getting horny from giving some street thug a horrific gruesome compound fracture. That one scene detonates this whole premise.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 4, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Batman and Catwoman FOR SURE get off on that poo poo

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

teagone posted:

Noticed Letitia Wright is trending on twitter. Apparently she's an anti-vaxxer?

:negative:

Do celebrities just not have PR people anymore? You'd think at this point Disney/Marvel would just just make as a condition of employment turning over "official" social media accounts to their in house comms department for as long as someone is under contract.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I enjoyed the Watchmen TV show's portrayal of old Ozymandias as someone who, being successful in his life's work, drops any pretence of being altruistic in his goals and is just arrogant and bitter toward people who are not sufficiently grateful to him for killing millions of people.

To me it was a natural place to go with the character given how he's written in the comic.

I had problems with the show and some of the plot around his character but I though they nailed that aspect of it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Flying Zamboni posted:

I enjoyed the Watchmen TV show's portrayal of old Ozymandias as someone who, being successful in his life's work, drops any pretence of being altruistic in his goals and is just arrogant and bitter toward people who are not sufficiently grateful to him for killing millions of people.

To me it was a natural place to go with the character given how he's written in the comic.

I had problems with the show and some of the plot around his character but I though they nailed that aspect of it.

It does nicely dovetail with the comics depiction of these superheroes getting old. They're all has beens, either having sold out to a tyrant, like the Comedian, or just fallen apart physically like Olson. Veidt's holding it together better than the others at the time of the comic, but i like the idea of the TV show one having fallen apart too. Times makes fools of them all.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The comic strongly suggests that Ozymandias is motivated for his mass murder in large part by the Comedian having humiliated him that one time.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Veidt's character just immediately does a 180 as soon as the comic ends though, to the point of recording a video confession for the president pretty much just to flex. It just does not seem like the same character in the slightest, who is incredibly cautious and reserved in his actions at every point in his scheme, and then just becomes a vainglorious blowhard who can't bear people not knowing how epicly clever he is.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

josh04 posted:

The comic strongly suggests that Ozymandias is motivated for his mass murder in large part by the Comedian having humiliated him that one time.

That was a fun bit in the movie too, with Comedian insulting his grand plans and setting fire to the map as a mic drop moment.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

multijoe posted:

Veidt's character just immediately does a 180 as soon as the comic ends though, to the point of recording a video confession for the president pretty much just to flex. It just does not seem like the same character in the slightest, who is incredibly cautious and reserved in his actions at every point in his scheme, and then just becomes a vainglorious blowhard who can't bear people not knowing how epicly clever he is.

I think it's because his plan is off track. He isn't the beloved saviour he wanted to be. He's just some old dude that no one listens to any more. It's a shift that actually makes a fair bit of sense.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

josh04 posted:

The drawing of Ozymandias' face when he's about to throw the Comedian out of the window is one of the best in the comic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

This is totally going to end in Splatoon.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

BigglesSWE posted:

If the movie had an inkling of the cynical depth that the book has then you’d have a point. But it don’t, so you don’t.

I guess a neater way to put it is: the book has a cynical view on superheroes. The movie, IMO, has a view of superheroes that is cynical in the context of it being an adaptation.

Movie bad. Book good.

I personally just found the Watchmen film to be tremendously boring. It's a goddamn 3.5 hour film and I was bored for at least 3 hours of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Look man, if I wanted io9's take I would just visit the website. You don't have to parrot it back to us.

It's very obvious that Watchmen: the Movie does not think that its source material is exclusively "cool" because otherwise there's no reason to show one of the protagonists getting horny from giving some street thug a horrific gruesome compound fracture. That one scene detonates this whole premise.

Look man, if I wanted condescending implications that my opinion on a Zack Snyder movie could only be part of a corporate mainstream instead of, you know, my personal opinion, I’d go to the Snyderdome.