Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Truman Peyote posted:

in the past couple of days I have seen yosposters argue that the sopranos is bad and the matrix sequels are good. very disturbing
i am not saying it is bad, in fact it is quite good, but probably not for the same reasons that people raved about it 15-20 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
2nd post for aliens related content

burke was cocooned but that didn't get out until the 2011 BR release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMC3eX8mEM0

actually think i saw stills of that a long time ago but lol mad about you aliens

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I feel like it was a callback to aliens honestly

and probably a bunch of anime

it was anime, because the wachowski's are obsessed with anime like they think it's this really obscure untapped vein of pop culture that only they know about. hence why matrix 3 was 40 minutes of characters you don't give a poo poo about talking about how they're going to have a dumb anime mech fight, then 40 minutes of a dumb anime mech fight, then 40 minutes of "this is really subtle and you might have missed it, but Neo is jesus, do you get it? <wink wink>"

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
SANDLER: Do you take naps during the day like me?

PLAZA: No, I can’t take naps. I don’t know how to do that. I’m a psycho.

SANDLER: When your parents told you to go take a nap, you just had your eyes wide open, staring at the ceiling?

PLAZA: Probably. I need to learn how to meditate or something.

SANDLER: I don’t have good naps. I have sad, sweaty naps, and I wake up upset.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sweevo posted:

it was anime, because the wachowski's are obsessed with anime like they think it's this really obscure untapped vein of pop culture that only they know about. hence why matrix 3 was 40 minutes of characters you don't give a poo poo about talking about how they're going to have a dumb anime mech fight, then 40 minutes of a dumb anime mech fight, then 40 minutes of "this is really subtle and you might have missed it, but Neo is jesus, do you get it? <wink wink>"

wait, which of the wachowskis is smoka?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/i/status/1334536958974914561

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sweevo posted:

it was anime, because the wachowski's are obsessed with anime like they think it's this really obscure untapped vein of pop culture that only they know about

in 1999 they were right, by 2003 significantly less so. if they still believe it today then lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Chris Knight posted:

matrix sequel is already here it's called the regraded "in the mood for love" :(

https://twitter.com/zizz_0/status/1307404772966912005

this reminds me, I watched "long day's journey into night" and it's a weird super atmospheric movie

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Those robots were cool but I feel like they should have had some actual armour instead of being open cockpit death traps

eh, I could see the argument for this. the squids didn’t have projectiles but their cutting lasers made short work of even ship hulls, so once one got to you you were immediately hosed either way, and they could use the resources saved on armor to build a few more mechs

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGwz1s1E1aw

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

probably the most organic matrix 4 is if the ‘real world’ is also the matrix, humans as computational power etc. and neo as a program is just restarting the cycle again

given the footrakes each sequel has found im sure it’ll be dumber and disappointing

oh poo poo he’s transcends the matrix and sees on code gonna free them

reloaded: nah just means he can cosplay superman and he’s got the sadbrains lol

reloaded cliffhanger: like oh wait neos powers work outside the matrix? maybe it’s all matrix?

revolutions: nope, gotta go to a specific physical location instead of just persistent, distributed network that surrounds everything, for some reason?

anyway time for le epic clone tool battle

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

indigi posted:

eh, I could see the argument for this. the squids didn’t have projectiles but their cutting lasers made short work of even ship hulls, so once one got to you you were immediately hosed either way, and they could use the resources saved on armor to build a few more mechs

also would provide greater mobility and field of view

and most importantly not obscure the actors' faces (being pasted onto the cgi)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

i am sympathetic to marvel tv fans who were disappointed because their show characters didn’t get a cameo in the big mcu movies

but matrix sequels are a good counter argument to keep it contained

these guys were really crazy in the manga! they’re Universal monster movie crew! gotta set up this crew for the mmo!

still not as hilarious as fortnite palpatine tho

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PCjr sidecar posted:

revolutions: nope, gotta go to a specific physical location instead of just persistent, distributed network that surrounds everything, for some reason?

that part actually makes sense, if matrix security policy is anything like high-security real-world networks there will be services so important that remote management is entirely forbidden so you have to go to where the hardware is and pass through real-world security

plus it gave us the shot of the hovercraft breaking through the clouds into blue sky, which is the best moment in movie 3

PCjr sidecar posted:

i am sympathetic to marvel tv fans who were disappointed because their show characters didn’t get a cameo in the big mcu movies

these people should also remember how the first half of agents of shield season 1 sucked precisely because they tried to sync it to the movies

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

infernal machines posted:

wait, which of the wachowskis is smoka?

ms. dustbowl

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Jupiter Ascending deserved a sequel more than Matrix deserves a 4th.

poo poo, Speed Racer deserved a sequel more than Matrix deserves a 4th.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Schadenboner posted:

Jupiter Ascending deserved a sequel more than Matrix deserves a 4th.

i actually quite liked jupiter ascending ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

mediaphage posted:

The visuals were 11/10, story was ...maybe 5/10?, but Bureaucropolis deserved an Office-like spin-off series of it's own.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Schadenboner posted:

:haibrow:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

mediaphage posted:

i liked it but it needs trimmed down so there is way less downtime between weird poo poo happening and eddie redmayne screaming

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

why isn’t Morpheus in the sequel :mad:

fat Morpheus would be amazing :mad: :mad:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i liked it but it needs re-editing so it's all about the foibles of the drones on Bureaucropolis and eddie redmayne screaming

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9B7BQWnZJs

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

2nd post for aliens related content

burke was cocooned but that didn't get out until the 2011 BR release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMC3eX8mEM0

actually think i saw stills of that a long time ago but lol mad about you aliens

love the true crime podcast style youtube about a non-existent movie scene lol

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
My hope for Matrix 4 is that it is just one movie. A single, focused, complete story which doesn't try to set up two sequels. That was what got them in 2 and 3, too much universe. Scale it back, stop explaining things that don't need it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I want to believe Keanu wouldn’t have come back if it wasn’t a really compelling story, but he also came back for 2 and 3 so

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
lmfaoo’ “grogu”

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
That was back when Keanu was still kind of a joke in the biz, iirc. I don't think he has anything to prove these days. He could probs retire on John Wick megabux alone.

Who knows though. Hollywood studios never pass on a chance to gently caress up something that should be an easy win.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

bump_fn posted:

lmfaoo’ “grogu”

lool

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

bump_fn posted:

lmfaoo’ “grogu”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTfsUDNeEpE

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Fool posted:

someone please tell me they have a copy of the pizza matrix

https://youtu.be/kzYulkD13D0

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

indigi posted:

I actually think maybe in the animatrix there was some "machine war" bit where the suits did have armour and it was useless so maybe? otoh why didn't the machines just have guns?

also it had bombers flying across the sky blocking out the sun with smoke to stop the solar power because that was gonna work

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

bump_fn posted:

lmfaoo’ “grogu”

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I otoh why didn't the machines just have guns?

otooh, why not just build booby traps into Zion when you let the next iteration of free humans rebuild so you don’t have to waste a hundred thousand squids to a futile battle every 25 years or whatever

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

otooh, why not just build booby traps into Zion when you let the next iteration of free humans rebuild so you don’t have to waste a hundred thousand squids to a futile battle every 25 years or whatever

the robots have infinite resources but the humans keep trying to genocide themselves

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i think keanu just likes to do movies that are fun to do for him

he probably hasnt been strapped for cash for a good while, so why not?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I don't care about nerd 40k I just want to post cool anime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7hgjuFfn3A

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

indigi posted:

having EMPs good to go seems like a p foolproof defense, i didn't get why setting one off in zion was able to wreck both sides so badly

like just turn all your poo poo off and roll the next one out, drat

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Carthag Tuek posted:

i think keanu just likes to do movies that are fun to do for him

he probably hasnt been strapped for cash for a good while, so why not?

i remember being in a doctor's office and reading a magazine (where else are you gonna find one?)

and keanu was trying to get past playing a dumbass in well, frankly a lot of movies but mostly bill & ted

he came off as a fairly intelligent dude trying to better himself through *shock* reading and meditation and it didn't seem like he was trying to be better than he was just on a self-improvement trip

and yeah he doesn't seem like the type to blow through money

if you were keanu what would you do? go surf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

what movies has he even played dumb in besides Bill & Ted? all his big movies - Speed, The Matrix, John Wick, Point Break, the Devil’s Advocate, hell even The Replacements, he’s portrayed as a very competent dude