Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Empty Sandwich posted:

true, but that was loving hilarious

tbh I feel like that scene has not aged well at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AHH F/UGH posted:

Probably more that Family Guy ran the 'gag just keeps going til the length and repetition makes it funny again' thing straight into the ground.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
God, I watched an episode of Family Guy the other day and one joke was that this woman has an absurdly long name that takes about 40 seconds to recite the whole thing. See, it's funny because her name is long and the joke is that we say the name and then say it again immediately after...and the longer it goes on the funnier it gets because it's so long and we know it's too long and you know it's too long...and that's the joke.

The character's full name is given as "Margaret Woolworth Carrington von Schumacher Chanel Astor Livingston Compte de Saint-Exupéry Mountbatten Windsor Armani Roosevelt von Trapp Wickenham Hearst Montgomery Rothschild Johnson & Johnson Twilsworth Dolce Gabbana Von Zweiger second Montgomery Delaroche Geico Vanderbilt Lannister van Buren Butterworth How I Met Your Mother Wrigley Louise Dreyfus Ludwig Morgan Stanley Dumont Lamborghini Forbes Higby Winthrop Chanel Rémy Martin Fitzwilliam Kennedy Motel 6 Fairchild Brook Pritzker Davenport von Stolen Monty Python Ellisworth Aston Martin Haverbrook Ziff Lauder Hilton DuPont Kincade Winslow Coors Oviatt Marlboro Pembroke Huffington Bush Mellon Sinclair Mellencamp Starbucks van Dyke third Montgomery Marriott Barrington Chatsworth Big League Chew Chesterfield Kensington Booth Bishop Longbottom Nottingham Meisterburger Burgermeister Tudor Hapsburg Rockefeller Onassis".

They repeat her name three times.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The joke with modern day Family Guy is that the writers are fully cognizant of their zombie show status and so now they just gleefully burn Fox’s/Disney’s money on screen with no pretense, like the aforementioned long name joke.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Family Guy doing a reheated Monty Python joke badly and not understanding why it was funny in the first place? What a shocking development.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Honestly, I had it on in the background and was only half paying attention and I still feel like it wasted my time

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Probably more that Family Guy ran the 'gag just keeps going til the length and repetition makes it funny again' thing straight into the ground.

I caught a New Simpsons a while back waiting for something else to come on, and it had an honest-to-god smash-cut Family-Guy-style cutaway - you know the ones where they visualise what the gag just said aloud was - because god forbid we leave anything to the viewer's imagination. It isn't a joke unless you explain it, that's basic Comedy 101, right?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Happy Landfill posted:

God, I watched an episode of Family Guy the other day and one joke was that this woman has an absurdly long name that takes about 40 seconds to recite the whole thing. See, it's funny because her name is long and the joke is that we say the name and then say it again immediately after...and the longer it goes on the funnier it gets because it's so long and we know it's too long and you know it's too long...and that's the joke.

The character's full name is given as "Margaret Woolworth Carrington von Schumacher Chanel Astor Livingston Compte de Saint-Exupéry Mountbatten Windsor Armani Roosevelt von Trapp Wickenham Hearst Montgomery Rothschild Johnson & Johnson Twilsworth Dolce Gabbana Von Zweiger second Montgomery Delaroche Geico Vanderbilt Lannister van Buren Butterworth How I Met Your Mother Wrigley Louise Dreyfus Ludwig Morgan Stanley Dumont Lamborghini Forbes Higby Winthrop Chanel Rémy Martin Fitzwilliam Kennedy Motel 6 Fairchild Brook Pritzker Davenport von Stolen Monty Python Ellisworth Aston Martin Haverbrook Ziff Lauder Hilton DuPont Kincade Winslow Coors Oviatt Marlboro Pembroke Huffington Bush Mellon Sinclair Mellencamp Starbucks van Dyke third Montgomery Marriott Barrington Chatsworth Big League Chew Chesterfield Kensington Booth Bishop Longbottom Nottingham Meisterburger Burgermeister Tudor Hapsburg Rockefeller Onassis".

They've been killing time under the guise of jokes about wasting your time for over a decade. They used to play entire Conway Twitty songs in episodes. Peter's long fights with the giant chicken are another one. Kill 2-3 minutes of the episode without having to write all that much, just let the animators handle it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

simplefish posted:

I caught a New Simpsons a while back waiting for something else to come on, and it had an honest-to-god smash-cut Family-Guy-style cutaway - you know the ones where they visualise what the gag just said aloud was - because god forbid we leave anything to the viewer's imagination. It isn't a joke unless you explain it, that's basic Comedy 101, right?

One of the best jokes in classic Simpsons was in the Itchy and Scratchy Land episode, when Marge says "see all that stuff in there Homer? That's why your robot didn't work." It immediately puts an entire episode of the show they never made into your head.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

simplefish posted:

To be fair, Classic Simpsons did lots of cutaway jokes. I think it was in the Mirkin years but maybe I'm wrong and it was under Oakley and Weinstein. It wasn't something that they did nearly as often as Family Guy though, Classic Simpsons never ran it into the ground. So Family Guy was ripping off the Simpsons, which is now ripping off Family Guy. The Simpsons truly is the Human Centipede of shows.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

i cant remember is the Rake Joke an act break? i feel like if you're waiting for a commercial cut there it works so much better.

I do admit I have problems watching a comedy thing that does a Rake Joke and not just instantly recognizing it as essentially a comedy image macro.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 5, 2020

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

AHH F/UGH posted:

agreed with the others. it was a really daring scene for a sitcom at the time, and apparently controversial in the writers' room. it's become almost a cliché

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Krusty pretty much spells it out that Sideshow Bob is the perfect target for slapstick comedy because he takes himself so seriously.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

PostNouveau posted:

They've been killing time under the guise of jokes about wasting your time for over a decade. They used to play entire Conway Twitty songs in episodes. Peter's long fights with the giant chicken are another one. Kill 2-3 minutes of the episode without having to write all that much, just let the animators handle it.

The chicken fights, while terrible and not funny, aren't easy to write. You can write a bad 30 second space filling joke in a minute or two if you have an idea for it.

Story boarding out minute long action scenes sufficient to hand off to production takes hours

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They're a pointless waste of fairly competent choreography. But they're at least interesting to look at. There's a ton of "jokes" where the characters will be standing there for a minute plus while NOTHING loving happens. It's by far the most annoying part of the show.

And I'd still watch current family guy than current simpsons

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
IIRC Cape Feare was running super short, and this was even after they used the old trick where they'd just slot in an Itchy and Scratchy cartoon to pad things out, hence the rakes and Mr Thompson and the elephants and the HMS Pinafore, etc. The trick was that these were all funny, and with the arguable exception of the rakes I don't think any of them wear out their welcome either. Not a fan of the wacky ending where Grampa turns into a woman though, that seems like Zombie Simpsons. I don't think Groening liked it either, I seem to remember his comments on the DVD being a resigned "... I forgot about that ending". I think this was plan B after they decided not to do their original ending (which I can't remember)?

sweet geek swag posted:

To be fair, Classic Simpsons did lots of cutaway jokes. I think it was in the Mirkin years but maybe I'm wrong and it was under Oakley and Weinstein. It wasn't something that they did nearly as often as Family Guy though, Classic Simpsons never ran it into the ground. So Family Guy was ripping off the Simpsons, which is now ripping off Family Guy. The Simpsons truly is the Human Centipede of shows.

There'll be no hospital then, I'll tell the children. :(

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think in the commentary they said Kelsey Grammer called them after seeing the episode and was dumbfounded saying something to the effect "what the hell, I only recorded that groan once!"

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think in the commentary they said Kelsey Grammer called them after seeing the episode and was dumbfounded saying something to the effect "what the hell, I only recorded that groan once!"
I have it here! (It has the commentary track)
https://i.imgur.com/OFdoVwo.mp4

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Not a fan of the wacky ending where Grampa turns into a woman though, that seems like Zombie Simpsons. I don't think Groening liked it either, I seem to remember his comments on the DVD being a resigned "... I forgot about that ending". I think this was plan B after they decided not to do their original ending (which I can't remember)?

https://i.imgur.com/cm3poND.mp4

Stingwing fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 5, 2020

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Happy Landfill posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck I knew it was long, but I didn't realize it was "seven lines across my browser window" long. :stonk: The worst part is that the rest of that episode wasn't even THAT terrible, but if I'd seen it live, I would probably have turned to something else. Didn't Seth MacFarlane have to record that as Stewie, Brian, and Quagmire? If I were him, I would have stabbed all the writers in the neck with a letter opener, especially if he had to do several takes of each.

The knee joke was at least vaguely amusing, but this was some bullshit.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ikanreed posted:

The chicken fights, while terrible and not funny, aren't easy to write. You can write a bad 30 second space filling joke in a minute or two if you have an idea for it.

Story boarding out minute long action scenes sufficient to hand off to production takes hours

I think it's easier to write than actual jokes and plot. Of course story boarding it would be hard, but I assume the writers don't do that.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

YeahTubaMike posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck I knew it was long, but I didn't realize it was "seven lines across my browser window" long. :stonk: The worst part is that the rest of that episode wasn't even THAT terrible, but if I'd seen it live, I would probably have turned to something else. Didn't Seth MacFarlane have to record that as Stewie, Brian, and Quagmire? If I were him, I would have stabbed all the writers in the neck with a letter opener, especially if he had to do several takes of each.

It was as stewie and brian, and then the next time it's a bunch of waiters singing happy birthday to the lady which means they have to say out her whole name in the birthday song because joke :rolleyes:

The thing with the knee joke was that, yeah, it was long, but it was as long as it needed to be. Just long enough for you to go, "wow this is getting kind of long" and then it ends. The problem with the recent time-padding jokes is that it makes you go, "haha this is kind of long...and they're still going...and now they're doing the joke again..." like, they go way beyond the point that they were trying to make and it stops being funny. And the joke usually isn't that funny to begin with.

I'm remembering the one episode where they had to show the entire David Bowie and Mick Jagger Dancing in the Street video because "lol it's so ridiculous :downs:" The whole entire episode breaks away to show this entire 3 min music video from the 80s. I was watching this with a guy I was trying to sleep with and he thought it was hilarious .

And yes, as mentioned above, Conway Twitty. It was actually kind of funny the first time but then they kept doing it and kept doing it until (I think this was the final time they did it) they showed the entire Twitty song. I actually changed the channel to something else for a minute or so and when I switched back they were still playing the loving twitty song

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 6, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What if, and hear me out here, after the joke goes on long enough that it has stopped being unfunny and has “come around” to being funny again, after another amount of time it yet again becomes unfunny

We’re through the looking glass people

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

What if, and hear me out here, after the joke goes on long enough that it has stopped being unfunny and has “come around” to being funny again, after another amount of time it yet again becomes unfunny

We’re through the looking glass people

Kurt Braunohler and Kristen Schaal used to do a sketch like this that would go on for 10-15 minutes.

They did a Radiolab about it: https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolab/articles/kristen-schaal-horse

It's impossible to find a version of it that long but just multiply this by 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvd6MBsiDBo

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

Kurt Braunohler and Kristen Schaal used to do a sketch like this that would go on for 10-15 minutes.

They did a Radiolab about it: https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolab/articles/kristen-schaal-horse

It's impossible to find a version of it that long but just multiply this by 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvd6MBsiDBo

Fun fact, in one of the later episodes of Bojack, a picture of Kristen Schaal is seen in the background.

She's a horse.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Detective No. 27 posted:

One of the best jokes in classic Simpsons was in the Itchy and Scratchy Land episode, when Marge says "see all that stuff in there Homer? That's why your robot didn't work." It immediately puts an entire episode of the show they never made into your head.

And often when the old guard did do cutaways--Homer and Barney on the Gong Show, for instance--it was not only quick and ridiculous, but they'd top it with another unseen joke. "We got more gongs than the breakdancing robot that caught on fire."

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Kristen Schaal is a perfect example of something funny that just got way too much exposure and now for me it's impossible for me not to notice it in a, "oh, that's a rake joke" kind of depressed goony way where nothing brings joy anymore

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Grandpa turning into a woman without his pills is loving hilarious

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

bus hustler posted:

Kristen Schaal is a perfect example of something funny

Really?

Seriously though, I think she had already gotten so much exposure by the time I learned who she was that she's never been funny for as long as she's been on my radar.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

AHH F/UGH posted:

Grandpa turning into a woman without his pills is loving hilarious

abe simpsons milkers

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

She is perfect as Mabel in Gravity Falls. But that's her basically doing her own voice and I imagine it doesn't work in much else.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
She’s gotten much better as Louise Belcher because they’ve toned down the character from “screams all the time” to “screams occasionally.” Still, unlike Jon Benjamin, she isn’t fun to hear all the time and it’s reached a point where it detracts from whatever she’s in.

I’ve never understood the industry’s hard-on for Tress MacNeille either, but at least she has some range.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hot Rod literally ran it into the ground and it was still funny :colbert:

Happy Landfill posted:

This is one of the four episodes FXX shows every goddamn day.

simplefish posted:

and it had an honest-to-god smash-cut Family-Guy-style cutaway

There's one of those that remains funny to me: the one where they get to where the smash cut should be, Peter stands there awkwardly for a minute and says "we don't have the clip? okay, clip's not ready"

Detective No. 27 posted:

On that note, I wanna know what happened to make Homer persona non grata in Riverdale

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Phineas and Ferb comes to mind as having been made by some people who worked on Family Guy, mostly in that they actively try to avoid a lot of FG's pitfalls, but they also have a few cutaway gags that usually pull it off. And musical numbers, by Disney's request, which worked out absolutely fantastic.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

On that note, I wanna know what happened to make Homer persona non grata in Riverdale

Maybe Homer killed Jason Blossom!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think gratuitous music in shows can work when you have the people working on the show who are actual good musicians and enthusiastic about it, and mix it up with a lot of variety. Steven Universe goes to an effort to cast musicians even in roles unlikely to get their own song (kinda bites them in the butt sometimes like with Nicki Minaj) and gets the most out of having singers in the main cast. Phineas and Ferb has the songs be all over the place and in all kinds of different contexts, so they don't get repetitive.

It can get bad in shows that are trying too hard to ape the Disney style (including actual Disney stuff) and end up using generic songs basically as filler, and/or in place of emotionally charged scenes that probably would be much better just as dialogue. Especially bad (or sometimes funny) when a character's singing voice is obviously a different person from their speaking voice. (Recess has a gag about this)

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

They have "stolen monty python" in the name itself, family guy knew exactly what it was doing.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I watched the Scorsese Cape Fear not long ago and was very disappointed Robert De Niro didn't step on any rakes

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Phineas and Ferb comes to mind as having been made by some people who worked on Family Guy, mostly in that they actively try to avoid a lot of FG's pitfalls, but they also have a few cutaway gags that usually pull it off. And musical numbers, by Disney's request, which worked out absolutely fantastic.

Phineas and Ferb has a lot of fun stuff but the title characters are complete voids of personality or interest. They're like Dexter from Dexter's lab without any of the stuff that made him funny or likable.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Moon Monster posted:

Phineas and Ferb has a lot of fun stuff but the title characters are complete voids of personality or interest. They're like Dexter from Dexter's lab without any of the stuff that made him funny or likable.

Yeah, they're pretty much plot devices as protagonists. Probably a reason why almost all of the real emotional arcs involve the 'antagonists' Candace and Doofenshmirtz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

bitterandtwisted posted:

I watched the Scorsese Cape Fear not long ago and was very disappointed Robert De Niro didn't step on any rakes

It's a decent film, but impossible to take seriously after The Simpsons. Try as I might, my brain will be saying "Boat's on the other side..." and "WANNA DRIVE THROUGH THAT CACTUS PATCH" at the appropriate moments.

That probably says something about what a good parody it is. The Bernard Herrmann/Elmer Bernstein score is iconic and I still associate it with The Simpsons first and foremost.