Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Isn't lunatic pandora emphasized the same way as pneumatic because it has to do with the moon? It's not saying pandora is a lunatic, it's a pandora coming from the moon. As in Pandora's Box.

You know, because monsters were literally falling from the moon (Luna) onto the planet.

GoGoGadget fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

GoGoGadget posted:

Isn't lunatic pandora emphasized the same way as pneumatic because it has to do with the moon? It's not saying pandora is a lunatic, it's a pandora coming from the moon. As in Pandora's Box.

You know, because monsters were literally falling from the moon (Luna) onto the planet.

What do you think the etymology of the word lunatic is?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the combat system in Crisis Core really doesn't hold up well imo. It's very slow and repetitive and it originated that weird auto-run thing that was also in Type-0 and FFXV that makes attacking feel really awkward

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I messed around some with FF15 and it's clear that whatever action RPG formula they've been trying to move toward for some time was really done best here. Kept the spirit of Final Fantasy combat but was very exciting and in mostly real time.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

hi liter posted:

I messed around some with FF15 and it's clear that whatever action RPG formula they've been trying to move toward for some time was really done best here. Kept the spirit of Final Fantasy combat but was very exciting and in mostly real time.

Until VIIR, you mean?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
7R's combat is really good but a whole bunch of people seem to, I dunno, immediately go into a Dark Souls mindset, mash through all the explanation text, then complain that the battle system doesn't match their preconceived notions. Yes the first chapter does throw a lot of game mechanics at you. Perhaps it's an over-compensation from FFXIII which spent half the game tutorializing but also accomplished this by killing the player over and over again until they demonstrated sufficient of each lesson that it's trying to teach you.

7R is more forgiving in that it will let you brute-force your way through every encounter, although it will take a long time and it won't be as fun. So a lot of people keep trying to brute-force every fight they come across instead of re-evaluating their strategy.

(I'm as guilty as anyone as seen by my whining about Smoggers up-thread)

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
7R's combat was good but still has room for improvement. Improve the aerial combos, allow spells and abilities to be used in the air, and make the deadly dodge and parry materias part of the default moveset.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It annoyed me that Hard Mode didn't allow you to use elixirs, since I had Cloud using Mithril Blade throughout most of the main campaign and liked that setup. Seemed unnecessarily limiting.

There was also no way to quickly switch between loadouts, which was irksome when the game encouraged you to min-max Materia on a per-encounter basis.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
And you just sorta had to hope you were equipped with the appropriate materia when running into a tough fight.

But I guess it's faithful to the original. Some sorta of Materia Switch ability with a cooldown would've been nice.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Make Counterstance available much much earlier imo, punt Blade Beam onto the last weapon instead.

It makes such a big difference to Cloud's play style yet it's only really available in NG+

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

7r is obviously an iteration on the XV system and it’s way better. It’s not so autopilot and requires some sort or management while being engaging on a granular level. Each character having their own style went a long way in making it feel like every choice you made affected the fight and it was really good.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I just wish dodging actually dodged. That was my biggest beef. You seemed a lot more mobile than you actually are.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

WaltherFeng posted:

And you just sorta had to hope you were equipped with the appropriate materia when running into a tough fight.

I shared this complaint at first too, but I've reached the conclusion that it's not possible to have any kind of challenge mode in a game with this kind of system where this doesn't happen - either you have lots of different materia that do different things and sometimes you have a bad loadout for an encounter you didn't know was coming, or you have lots of samey materia that do mostly the same thing and then the system is basically without purpose.

For player choice to matter, there needs to be a wrong choice sometimes, you know?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

My gripes with the FF7R combat system:

1. Enemies did too much random dancing when they're not doing anything - this strains the combat camera and kinda makes it a pain to track
2. Enemies had way too much down time between attacks where they were just posing
3. Attack animations were too long
4. Dodging doesn't do anything useful 50% of the time
5. It isn't clear which attacks you can counter by attacking and which you could block

All the points combined pretty much meant that blocking became the "best" thing to do by default because auto-attacking into an enemy attack was extremely punishing. Just running around in circles or blocking was also kinda uninteresting because you had to do it for so long. If you tried to attack out of turn you just got smacked and punished a good portion of the time.

Players should have more things to do when the enemy wasn't doing anything. Extreme examples are the phantom enemies that just disappeared off the map when they're not attacking. If you don't track them well you can start a cast into a siphon field which is extremely punishing. But the window where they disappear is incredibly long. Standing around blocking was 100% the correct play most of the time.

Cloud is kinda the most interesting character to play because you actually had some decisions to make in the off time because you're trying to predict when an enemy was going to attack and counter. The other characters all should have had a mechanic like that so that you have something to do while waiting for the enemies to do their bullshit so you can respond in kind.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Sorry if I wasn't clear - 7R is much more fun and fluid than any of the KH games or 15 which I feel like had a similar goal.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

But I guess it's faithful to the original. Some sorta of Materia Switch ability with a cooldown would've been nice.

Bleck posted:

I shared this complaint at first too, but I've reached the conclusion that it's not possible to have any kind of challenge mode in a game with this kind of system where this doesn't happen - either you have lots of different materia that do different things and sometimes you have a bad loadout for an encounter you didn't know was coming, or you have lots of samey materia that do mostly the same thing and then the system is basically without purpose.

For player choice to matter, there needs to be a wrong choice sometimes, you know?

Yeah, and then you be weird like me and go 'Oh, they're weak to fire? Well, lemme just retry this fight and set my materia up to exploit weaknesses since you can get out of boss fights right to the last checkpoint you hit.'

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bleck posted:

Yeah I didn't really see it as a bad thing. I quite enjoyed dying and having to work out what went wrong and how to change my loadout to fix it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Unless the boss happened to be a gigantic slog without the right tools (hell house for instance), I usually prefer to fight on with a suboptimal setup to see if I can win anyway. I find it more fun in general to not be totally prepared for everything that's gonna happen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WarpedLichen posted:

My gripes with the FF7R combat system:

1. Enemies did too much random dancing when they're not doing anything - this strains the combat camera and kinda makes it a pain to track
2. Enemies had way too much down time between attacks where they were just posing
3. Attack animations were too long
4. Dodging doesn't do anything useful 50% of the time
5. It isn't clear which attacks you can counter by attacking and which you could block

All the points combined pretty much meant that blocking became the "best" thing to do by default because auto-attacking into an enemy attack was extremely punishing. Just running around in circles or blocking was also kinda uninteresting because you had to do it for so long. If you tried to attack out of turn you just got smacked and punished a good portion of the time.

Players should have more things to do when the enemy wasn't doing anything. Extreme examples are the phantom enemies that just disappeared off the map when they're not attacking. If you don't track them well you can start a cast into a siphon field which is extremely punishing. But the window where they disappear is incredibly long. Standing around blocking was 100% the correct play most of the time.

Cloud is kinda the most interesting character to play because you actually had some decisions to make in the off time because you're trying to predict when an enemy was going to attack and counter. The other characters all should have had a mechanic like that so that you have something to do while waiting for the enemies to do their bullshit so you can respond in kind.

You really don't need to do that. Being hyper-aggressive is rewarded by the system and constantly switching characters drags aggro away so you don't have to worry about attacks.

I don't recall even just sitting around and blocking and honestly can't imagine bothering with it when doing literally anything else is faster.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Biggest change the combat system needs to make is not making you lose health, ATB and MP when you get hit in the middle of a spell, just pick one jeeze.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
On the subject of items, hard mode without items was really good, but if they want to make items meaningful they should make them limited use but recharge between battles or chapters or something. That way actually collecting (which you would do only once or something) is a bit more meaningful, like the weapon system, which was really good.

Encounter design and pacing could be better but I'd expect those things to improve as the series goes along. And as other people have mentioned, if you're going to have a multi-stage boss, use layered health bars because burning a limit break just as you hit a transition feels bad man.

They really nailed the materia system, with lots of ways to build characters and a whole bunch of cool interactions with the ATB system that work pretty well. A challenge through the next few games how they handle a larger party and keep all the characters feeling distinct.

Cloud was a great baseline but I'd argue Tifa is the most interesting character to play, although a lot of what made her really fun was based on animation cancelling through equipping some materia. Still, more of that please.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 5, 2020

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

You really don't need to do that. Being hyper-aggressive is rewarded by the system and constantly switching characters drags aggro away so you don't have to worry about attacks.

I don't recall even just sitting around and blocking and honestly can't imagine bothering with it when doing literally anything else is faster.

Edit: oops posted before I finished typing

There are some fights that reward aggression because you can pressure enemies and take them down, those fights can be ended with a first strike triple slash the majority of the time.

Bosses and stuff have get off me close range attacks that punish you and they don't really get pressured. Other enemies that you're just better off being reactive to:

1. drat crabs
2. Riot troopers
3. Flying things in general
4. Turrets
5. Sahaigan
6. Most of the bandits

I dunno, maybe there's a reward for aggression against those dudes but it feels like most of the time you should just wait until you can unload on them because autoing is not worth your time.

WarpedLichen fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 5, 2020

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

WarpedLichen posted:

There are some fights that reward aggression because you can pressure enemies and take them down, those fights can be ended with a first strike triple slash the majority of the time.

Bosses and stuff have get off me close range attacks that punish you and they don't really get pressured. Other enemies that you're just better off being reactive to:

1. drat crabs
2. Riot troopers
4. Turrets
5. Sahaigan
6. Most of the bandits

I dunno, maybe there's a reward for aggression against those dudes but it feels like most of the time you should just wait until you can unload on them because autoing is not worth your time.

Every fight rewards aggression, nearly every speed-kill on bosses and enemies involves being hyper-aggressive.

You're going for what worked out for you, I.E. playing defensively, and ignoring that being hyper-aggressive is itself a sign of high skill.

EDIT: Specifically you bring up a lot of bosses having a close range attack to punish being in melee range. Almost all of those attacks can be Punisher-countered.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 5, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I was about to say majority of the enemies in that list fold to a well-timed Punisher-counter or Counterstance.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WarpedLichen posted:

1. drat crabs
2. Riot troopers
4. Turrets
5. Sahaigan
6. Most of the bandits

Are you using Punisher mode at all? Knowing when to quickly swap in/out of that is a big part of success.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Onmi posted:

Every fight rewards aggression, nearly every speed-kill on bosses and enemies involves being hyper-aggressive.

You're going for what worked out for you, I.E. playing defensively, and ignoring that being hyper-aggressive is itself a sign of high skill.

EDIT: Specifically you bring up a lot of bosses having a close range attack to punish being in melee range. Almost all of those attacks can be Punisher-countered.

If your criteria for skill is winning as fast as possible, then yes, you'll go hyper aggressive. I don't think that counters my statement that the easiest way to win is to play defensively. In the same way that a speed run of a game isn't really the same as a no hit run, the criteria for judgement is just different.

And the enemies I listed, only Sahaigan can be punisher countered really? Unless I missed something and you can punisher counter ranged attacks and mines. Counterstance is great and I wish it was built in to the kit at the beginning.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

WarpedLichen posted:

And the enemies I listed, only Sahaigan can be punisher countered really? Unless I missed something and you can punisher counter ranged attacks and mines. Counterstance is great and I wish it was built in to the kit at the beginning.

Riot troopers, bandits, crabs and flyers who swing in for melee atacks can all be Punisher-countered.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

a) what

and b) where is Aeris a real name?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eris_(mythology)

Eris (/ˈɪərɪs, ˈɛrɪs/; Greek: Ἔρις Éris, "Strife") is the Greek goddess of strife

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Anyone genuinely devoting time and energy to Aeris in the year 2020 is extremely old

Like, the same type of person who still feels the need to call FF6 "Final Fantasy 3/6"

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I was just answering a question

I'm not that old :(

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Blockhouse posted:

Anyone genuinely devoting time and energy to Aeris in the year 2020 is extremely old

Like, the same type of person who still feels the need to call FF6 "Final Fantasy 3/6"

They should've just called FFVII Final Fantasy in Europe, FFVIII should be FFII and so on. :colbert:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Shoulda called it First Fantasy you mean

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

WarpedLichen posted:

If your criteria for skill is winning as fast as possible, then yes, you'll go hyper aggressive. I don't think that counters my statement that the easiest way to win is to play defensively. In the same way that a speed run of a game isn't really the same as a no hit run, the criteria for judgement is just different.

A safe way to win is to do what you suggest, but that doesn't make it right - most of the time you're better off being aggressive to build up atb, switching characters to build up their atbs and keeping an eye on everyone to make sure you can actually do something when you need to.

This isn't like shields in Dark Souls where the gameplay systems encouraged a less fun way to interact with the game, you have to work against the gameplay to play like that. Blocking is included as a meaningful action for certain attacks but there are so many ways the game encourages you to only use it for that it's clearly not the intended way to experience the game.

Which is fine and indicates the combat system didn't do a good job of training you to engage in the intended way. But that is more a criticism of the meta combat system.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The first time I played on Normal I tried to play as aggro as possible but I felt like there was a bunch of knowledge I really should have known and that I was doing everything wrong because every boss fight took a lifetime.

I was so close to dying every fight, I have no idea how I beat the game. I think I had a bit of boss exhaustion by the end.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Give me a dedicated jump button

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Nihilarian posted:

Give me a dedicated jump button

OK. *binds Jump to Triangle*

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Simone Magus posted:

I was just answering a question

I'm not that old :(

Sorry that was aimed at the person who started it, not you.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Blockhouse posted:

TLDR "Ok BoOmEr."

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Arkage posted:

TLDR "Ok BoOmEr."

Yeah let's go with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If they continue to insist on spitting upon the pedigree of the original by further changing things as we go forward, I hope they lean even harder into the synthetic summons thing.

I wanna have an Airbuster and Arsenal summon helping me in fights!