Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Hey folks. I posted about this earlier but I'd like for gip to do their own thing since you can sign up as a team to adopt a kid this year.

USPS's website has what is called "Operation Santa." Kids will write letters to Santa asking him for things. Here's a tweet that highlights how awesome this country is:

https://twitter.com/hilaryagro/status/1333770864383434758

This year, they are letting people adopt letters as a team, and I wanted to see if gip has any interest in doing this.

The catch is that to be on the team you have to give your real name and address, and the admin/creator will be able to see it. If I end up being the admin/creator, I have no problem giving you guys my name and address just to make sure it is fair. I won't blame anybody if they don't want to give up that information; we can figure out another way to get you to participate (send money to someone else who is involved or something, idk).

Is there any interest in this? I am going to participate regardless, but strength in numbers and all.

https://www.uspsoperationsanta.com/

Let's help kids since the richest nation on earth is letting them down. There's 15 days to adopt a letter, and I'd like for us to find some that are disadvantaged. Most of the letters are kids asking for normal kids stuff, but like last year, I am sure we will see some heartbreaking letters if we look hard enough.

Either way, lets help some kids have a good Christmas in this lovely, lovely, lovely, loving year we are having.

Gipdoinggood at gmail if you want to stay anonymous but contribute. If anyone has any ideas about how to pool money from people who don稚 sign up, let me know. I知 new at this organizing thing and am realizing I suck at it.

E: McNally can you give this a better thread tag please?

Woofer fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I'll be doing this one way or another. Have a baby due any day now though so I may just have to take care of it on my own due to lack of time.

Thanks for bringing attention to it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I知 in.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Happy to join Task Force Santa痴 Magic Delivers For The Best. Thanks for organizing, Cole.

Murcor
Dec 1, 2007

It's a hell of a thing
Im not gip, but im down.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I値l sign us up at the end of the day and hopefully we can agree on who to help by the end of the weekend.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Someone please explain this in detail to me because I guess I'm being a little dense even after reading the "learn more" thing on the USPS site.
The goal of this is to "adopt a letter" (or more than one) as a team and then facilitate those wishes being realized through donations, yes? Or am I reading that completely wrong?

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
You can count me in.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Tell me what to do and I'll do it, I'm in

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
So I got a little group of European friends who want to contribute to this thing with me, but we're kinda stumped on the signup process where it wants our american address. Any way we can contribute to this by throwing money after your team and having you do the shopping and shipping part for us?

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

https://www.uspsoperationsanta.com/team/4e47b771

I set the team up here. I didn't put a goal on how many letters we will do because I'm as new to this as all of you.

One thing that might hold you up when signing up is the address portion. I had to put in my address from pre-August for them to be able to find me in the system (I've moved twice since then).

Lets start finding some letters to adopt and make some dreams come true, yall.

I was super poor growing up, so doing this for some kids means a lot to me. Thanks for all of your help.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

SerthVarnee posted:

So I got a little group of European friends who want to contribute to this thing with me, but we're kinda stumped on the signup process where it wants our american address. Any way we can contribute to this by throwing money after your team and having you do the shopping and shipping part for us?

Let's get some experience with it over the next few days and we will definitely figure out how to get you and your pals to help.

E: Send them the link and see if they can sign up and we can go from there.

Woofer fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 5, 2020

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I値l sign up later today. I also don稚 know how this works, but in the interest of not putting out our own PII or describing the letter(s?) that we値l adopt in this thread, should we coordinate this over email or something?

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Went ahead and set up an email for that purpose

Gipdoinggood at gmail

I値l add it to the OP

I知 sorry I didn稚 do more homework with this. I知 still learning how it works.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Woofer posted:

I was super poor growing up, so doing this for some kids means a lot to me. Thanks for all of your help.

:same:

I'm in.

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat
I'm in as well

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
I might have to get in touch with the post office to figure out why they don't have my of my address on record. I'm still in, this just might take me a few days to get sorted out.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Joined. Plan on doing what I can, might not be much.

Disappointed group name wasn't "Santa's Ho Ho Ho's" or "Gip unloads Santa's sack."

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Jeez. I had to keep trying addresses until I found a place that I lived in 2014. USPS evidently still thinks I live there in 2020, two moves later.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Woofer posted:

Let's get some experience with it over the next few days and we will definitely figure out how to get you and your pals to help.

E: Send them the link and see if they can sign up and we can go from there.

I've tried the link you provided and I get stuck on the part where it wants my american address.
I and the group of friends i mentioned are all either Europeans or Americans living in Europe, so none of us can finish the signup process.
Please advise on how we can contribute.
I trust you Cole, so I got no problem wiring the money to you and having you dispense the donations to whichever children you feel are in legit need of help.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
I got told to verify my address using my mobile information (?). The person who responded said that they'd had a similar issue because of their name (married and hyphenated). That isn't my problem at all. Never married, no name changes, just different addresses.

Even fully typing out road, street, or drive hasn't helped.

If I can't get verified, Cole, I'd be willing to support through a monetary donation.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

I'm not GIP but I've followed the CE thread for years, I'd be happy to toss some money in.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I plan on sitting down tonight and hammering out the logistic details of this whole thing, hopefully including an idea for how to get people to help without having to sign up.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I'll donate what I can.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

All of the letters have been adopted -- that's why I haven't posted any updates -- so there may be no work to be done. If that is the case, we will come up with something else and maybe donate to a charity or something if that is cool with everyone. I'll give it til Friday.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Still in for whatever we can do.

If you need a suggestion of a charity that's doesn't really help the same group but does good work that I can vouch for (had lunch with the founder when he was in town years back) https://www.freewheelchairmission.org/

Realize there maybe be more GIP appropriate charities you can do so I'll support whatever. Just trying to help in some way with the info.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

I've been trying to look at the letters when I can, I think I can adopt for the team as part of the team? It's not explained very well.

One kid's letter wants a french horn but I don't know anything about that instrument. There's a 3 person family where every kid wants a kindle and a toy that could be doable.

And just as soon as I typed that they are all gone. :shrug: But new ones keep popping up.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Ok, Woofer this seems to be your baby so I don't want to step on your toes. But, I work at my schools campus vet center and after my last final tomorrow I will have nothing to do for 5 hours a day. If I see a doable letter do you want me to try to adopt it for the group? Like I was browsing on and off today and there was a girl just asking for dolls and dresses, would have been a good test run. If I see something like that do you care if I put it in the group (assuming it will let me). There is a page called team letters so I think that's how it works.

Also do we have anyone with connections to something specific? Like if you could get instruments on the cheap there was a brother and sister I saw who both wanted an electric guitar each. Or if you know about specific things I guess. Like if a kid likes trains I can run across the street to my LGS and pickup Ticket to Ride kids edition (train based board game). I know a bit about boxing and could make a gift set based off that pretty easy, I think. I understand most of us can't do the PS5s and iPhones, teens are always hard to shop for. Trying to get ideas of what to look for and what we can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I知 really bad at organizing it seems, so I知 down for any ideas to help people for the holidays. The USPS letters seem to be getting scooped up as fast as they get posted now.