Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
it could have been the third best one if the ending wasnt so stupid

its illegal to think the best episode is anything other than the visitor or far beyond the stars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Actually it's Little Green Men.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

CptAwesome posted:

Waltz is the best episode of DS9. :colbert:

I'd put Magnificent Ferengi and Pale Moonlight over.

e: Little Green Men is a contender

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

The ending line of Waltz is pure ham and it makes me cry

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

It's Our Man Bashir

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

My man Bashir :swoon:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
siddig v handsome

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I'm rewatching with a friend who hasn't seen any trek before, and introduced Bashir as "Dr. Bisexual Disaster". I would die for him.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Those are all great but "In the Pale Moonlight" still walks away with the prize then deletes the record of having won.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
well i called the police. hope you all like jail

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I enjoyed Troubles and Tribble-ations last night. It was terribly corny in a great way.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Move Along Home is my favorite DS9 episode because I live for trash

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Barudak posted:

Move Along Home is my favorite DS9 episode because I live for trash

*hand hovers over probate button*

no, he'd just watch more trash with his time out

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Half ferengi, half klingon

it is a good day to buy

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Jake Sisko spends an alternate life researching how to free his father from quantum entanglement nonexistence and then kills himself to make it happen because he realizes he needs his father as a kid.

His father proceeds to go mad with power at the Maquis, mad with paranoia about changelings, helps foment a coup, then goes mad on prophet juice multiple times and kills himself anyway. Jake turns into a gambler, womanizer and a depressed writer. Again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cranappleberry posted:

Jake turns into a gambler, womanizer and a depressed writer. Again.

Why did you say the same thing three times

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Emphasis.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actually says something that Quark genuinely likes Jake and considers him more like what he wishes Nog was.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Actually says something that Quark genuinely likes Jake and considers him more like what he wishes Nog was.

Everybody likes Jake. He’s one of the few characters in all of Star Trek- and I mean all of the shows- that doesn’t appear to have been programmed with a career path at birth, which I imagine makes him the most relaxing person to spend time with in the quadrant. Before him the most down to earth failson guy was Wesley, the genius level homeschool burnout who left the Academy and pursued his backup career, being a minor dimension traveling deity.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cCTgRax94o

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

mysterious frankie posted:

Everybody likes Jake. He’s one of the few characters in all of Star Trek- and I mean all of the shows- that doesn’t appear to have been programmed with a career path at birth, which I imagine makes him the most relaxing person to spend time with in the quadrant. Before him the most down to earth failson guy was Wesley, the genius level homeschool burnout who left the Academy and pursued his backup career, being a minor dimension traveling deity.

I mean, Nog is very much a failson in the eyes of his uncle and his culture.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Failson generally implies having privilege to fail upwards regardless of sheer incompetence (so very fitting for Wesley), Nog is just a delinquent seen as a resource to be exploited at best.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Nog’s the son of a single father who is pretty low in Ferengi society (space station engineer, former barback for his punchline of a brother), who works his rear end of to become the first of his race to enter Starfleet.

Jake by comparison is a child of privilege who’s entered into a period of drifting. He’s the son of a famous and successful Starfleet officer/Bajoran cultural figure who turned down gift wrapped education opportunities both with Starfleet and Pennington, seems to mainly hang out in bars, and at best is infrequently published as a writer and reporter. Dude’s a major loser, but he’s a pleasant, carefree loser in a galaxy of high strung strivers and I imagine that’s a breath of fresh air.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

mysterious frankie posted:

Nog’s the son of a single father who is pretty low in Ferengi society (space station engineer, former barback for his punchline of a brother), who works his rear end of to become the first of his race to enter Starfleet.

Jake by comparison is a child of privilege who’s entered into a period of drifting. He’s the son of a famous and successful Starfleet officer/Bajoran cultural figure who turned down gift wrapped education opportunities both with Starfleet and Pennington, seems to mainly hang out in bars, and at best is infrequently published as a writer and reporter. Dude’s a major loser, but he’s a pleasant, carefree loser in a galaxy of high strung strivers and I imagine that’s a breath of fresh air.

Put it that way, he's basically an Oscar Wilde type, or other typical Great Writers who are usually privileged drifters. And he's also had a stint as a war reporter and seen bloody action.

I do wonder if he influenced Sisko's alter ego as a writer. (or of course, vice versa. Or both at once!)

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

thank you

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmrMuwcpKkY grace à l'algorithim

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Verisimilidude posted:

I enjoyed Troubles and Tribble-ations last night. It was terribly corny in a great way.

great ep, probably one of the last things i can recall watching that embraced camp without being up its own rear end about it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Just realised that the ds9 baseball episode ends very similarly to the Simpsons softball one

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

just finished ds9, great ride. actually kinda glad i heard people bitching about the prophets arc because while it was still dumb it was less awful than expected. also glad to see o'brien representing wargame nerds

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Fluoride Jones posted:

great ep, probably one of the last things i can recall watching that embraced camp without being up its own rear end about it

Right, it really hits the sweet spot.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just realised that the ds9 baseball episode ends very similarly to the Simpsons softball one

That's a forehead prosthetic, not gigantism.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just watched S2 E15 Paradise. It's a decent enough episode but at the end nobody wanted off the planet? They were lied to and people needlessly died, but that's OK because they had gotten "back to nature"?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yeah, that still sours the ending to me. People whose family/friends died of pneumonia or childbirth or her Joe Arpaio prison box should be livid and ready to GTFO, gently caress that pat bow-wrapped "oh we learned so much about ourselves slaving away in the Iron Age for decades" bullshit.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

McSpanky posted:

Yeah, that still sours the ending to me. People whose family/friends died of pneumonia or childbirth or her Joe Arpaio prison box should be livid and ready to GTFO, gently caress that pat bow-wrapped "oh we learned so much about ourselves slaving away in the Iron Age for decades" bullshit.

Also thought it was a bit strange that she had to trick these people into going along with her plan. The Federation is a big organisation surely she would have been able to find people that would go along with her willingly.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Odo murdering their future past kids was hosed up

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Royal Updog posted:

Odo murdering their future past kids was hosed up

That whole episode aggressively makes no sense

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

how about that one episode where Odo marries Lwaxana and Jake almost gets his soul eaten by a Slanneshi daemon

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Feldegast42 posted:

how about that one episode where Odo marries Lwaxana and Jake almost gets his soul eaten by a Slanneshi daemon

I prefer the episode where Odo is possessed by Curzon's memories and ends up fusing with them to become creepy old man Curzon-Odo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The one where Jake and Nog do a bunch of chores to try and get a baseball card from a mad scientist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Nog acquires a small parcel of land