Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Maxwell Lord posted:

Man so there won't even be a chance of it being safe to see in theaters by then.

should really watch that first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Pacific Rim: Uprising: Ascension: The Official Prequel of the Movie is disappointing. It's a prequel to Pacific Rim: Uprising and rather than detailing the Star War guy's transformation from hotshot Jaeger pilot to illegal Jaeger part dealer living it up in abandoned seaside mansions, or showing Charlie's descent into madness, they decided to really get into the cadet's first days of Jaeger training.

At one point, in order to show how troubled one of the cadets is, he gets into an illegal street fencing match. Not fencing like buying and selling stolen goods. Fencing as in it's explained that they grind down the tips of their epees to make them sharper.

I got half the book left to go and I gotta say, if that doesn't show up again I'm gonna be pissed. If you're going to introduce something as stupid as teenage underground illegal fencing matches, then at least have the courage to make it an integral part of the plot.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Pacific Rim: Uprising: Ascension: The Official Prequel of the Movie is disappointing. It's a prequel to Pacific Rim: Uprising and rather than detailing the Star War guy's transformation from hotshot Jaeger pilot to illegal Jaeger part dealer living it up in abandoned seaside mansions, or showing Charlie's descent into madness, they decided to really get into the cadet's first days of Jaeger training.

At one point, in order to show how troubled one of the cadets is, he gets into an illegal street fencing match. Not fencing like buying and selling stolen goods. Fencing as in it's explained that they grind down the tips of their epees to make them sharper.

I got half the book left to go and I gotta say, if that doesn't show up again I'm gonna be pissed. If you're going to introduce something as stupid as teenage underground illegal fencing matches, then at least have the courage to make it an integral part of the plot.

There has got to be better literature out there for you, dude.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Can HBO max stream in 4k to computers? Reading these press releases I'm not entirely sure.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Honestly I'm still confused on how to go from HBO Now to HBO Max. But Max isn't supported on Roku anyway so :shrug:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

drat I am owned. They ended that poo poo quick.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gripweed posted:

Pacific Rim: Uprising: Ascension: The Official Prequel of the Movie is disappointing. It's a prequel to Pacific Rim: Uprising and rather than detailing the Star War guy’s transformation from hotshot Jaeger pilot to illegal Jaeger part dealer living it up in abandoned seaside mansions, or showing Charlie's descent into madness, they decided to really get into the cadet's first days of Jaeger training.

his name is John Boyega

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'll have you know there is no greater condemnation of a movie than pretending you don't know an actor's name to look like you don't care.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

John Boyega is a name worth knowing.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Attack the Block is the best Doctor Who episode released in the past twenty years, and even after clearing that very low bar is a drat fine movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I genuinely couldn't remember his name, and would've said Attack the Block guy but I thought more people would know Star Wars. And everybody understood who I meant so communication achieved.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ve been slowly watching my way through Ultraman two episodes at a time, and last night had the worst tonal whiplash. First up was Oil SOS, an episode that had a really lovely monster but some fantastic model work and some of the most dynamic camerawork I’ve seen on the show yet.

And then it was followed by The Pearl Defense Directive, an episode that felt impressively sexist and condescending even by 1960’s standards. :cripes:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Pestar from Oil SOS, design wise, is one of those kaiju that perfectly balances on the razor's edge of "this is genius" and "this is incredibly stupid".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Pestar from Oil SOS, design wise, is one of those kaiju that perfectly balances on the razor's edge of "this is genius" and "this is incredibly stupid".

It

Helps?????

That you never *really* see him like this in the episode proper. Also you'll never run into this watching it in order, but the best whiplash in the entire franchise is watching Present from the Sky and My Home Is Earth back to back in that order.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

By the way, Pestar is one of my favorite OG Ultra kaiju.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Burkion posted:

It

Helps?????

That you never *really* see him like this in the episode proper.

You do see one of the guys in the suit almost trip tho

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I do admire Tsubaraya studios always trying designs that pushed the limits of suitmation.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I feel like I've never seen anyone here or in other forums acknowledge the existence of Spectreman. I had bootlegs of that show before I was in high school. Looked it up to make sure I didn't hallucinate that low budget junk.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gripweed posted:

You do see one of the guys in the suit almost trip tho

I like to imagine the two guys in the suit just doing a constant Bill & Ted pose as they try not to trip over all the flaming modelwork.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I feel like I've never seen anyone here or in other forums acknowledge the existence of Spectreman.

hi yes how are you I'm Burkion

Spectreman isn't even the lowest rent Ultraman knock off that's Iron King

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Bring back Super Inframan imo

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Ok, I’m laughing my rear end off at the ending of Terrifying Cosmic Rays. These psychopath children have been demanding carnage and destruction from their 2-d chalk monster all episode and the camera just slowly zooms out on the dismayed and horrified SSSP as dozens of kids draw dozens of new monsters without a care in the world.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ok, I’m laughing my rear end off at the ending of Terrifying Cosmic Rays. These psychopath children have been demanding carnage and destruction from their 2-d chalk monster all episode and the camera just slowly zooms out on the dismayed and horrified SSSP as dozens of kids draw dozens of new monsters without a care in the world.

I loving love this episode because it feels like the show descending into self-parody. "There's a giant monster, this calls for the Science Patrol!" "Well yeah, but it's not doing anything, it's just kinda peacefully sleeping all day" "Well yes, but it's disrupting traffic and being distracting, so it HAS TO DIE :black101: " "Okay, okay...wait, it's just a chalk drawing during the day, can't we just erase it then and not have a big battle?" "We could, but that's not sporting, we have to do it by the book otherwise it doesn't count. We have to justify the pyrotechnics budget somehow, damnit!"

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I feel like I've never seen anyone here or in other forums acknowledge the existence of Spectreman. I had bootlegs of that show before I was in high school. Looked it up to make sure I didn't hallucinate that low budget junk.

Spectreman was legit one of my favorite TV shows as a kid and it sucks that you can’t really find it through any reasonable channels these days.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

we have a 3 second clip of GvK

https://v.redd.it/3soh04bw1m361/DASH_1080.mp4

wow... is that Godzilla?! and King Kong?!!... turns out all my predictions for this movie were wrong

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Mantis42 posted:

wow... is that Godzilla?! and King Kong?!!... turns out all my predictions for this movie were wrong

Show me Mecha-King Ghidorah, you cowards :argh:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Word on the street is trailer drops today

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Mantis42 posted:

Really want to see G fight a shai-hulud now.

edit:

I love Godzilla's crocodilesque swimming in these movies. :kimchi:

Jeremiah Flintwick fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 6, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just noticed Kong has a collar.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Don't kink shame him

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

yea I have a feeling they're gonna go with the classic King Kong thing where some idiot brings Kong to New York for...some kinda monkey show? I don't know what people were really buying tickets for, it was just a big ape on a stage....Then he busts out and starts doing bad ape things so Godzilla's gotta save his pets.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Are those spaceships at the end? They move a little too fast to be subs; I can't tell if they are in the sky or under water.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Are those spaceships at the end? They move a little too fast to be subs; I can't tell if they are in the sky or under water.

here's hoping for the return of Planet X

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
It would be fun if instead of seeing KOTM and going "this only appealed to a subset of diehard G-Fans, let's retool to make it more accessible to the mass audience," they just triple down on making it pure gojiraboo fodder.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Shiroc posted:

It would be fun if instead of seeing KOTM and going "this only appealed to a subset of diehard G-Fans, let's retool to make it more accessible to the mass audience," they just triple down on making it pure gojiraboo fodder.

that it's Adam Wingard makes it at least plausible if still a long shot

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
God, imagine how incredible it would be if the delays and reshoots were the studio going, "guys, this is fun but we gotta put some shiny jumpsuit aliens in this thing."

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

That's a clip from the Dune movie trailer. This 3 second GvK clip must be from some highlight reel for HBO Max

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It appears WB has done an oopsie

https://twitter.com/filmupdates/status/1335940753420398592?s=10

Violator
May 15, 2003

Sounds like it’s coming to streaming one way or the other for release, they just want dat money. Whole article is interesting.

quote:

Legendary reportedly had Netflix ready to pull the film from Warner Bros for around $250 million, before WarnerMedia blocked it. Sources said Legendary had no advance notice before last week’s announcement that both Dune and Godzilla Vs. Kong were part of the HBO Max plan.

Legendary certainly seems to have the right to challenge WarnerMedia on its decision: Legendary and its partners provided 75% of the $165 million or so net budget of Dune, the Denis Villenueve-directed adaptation of the Frank Herbert novel that was envisioned to be the first of multiple films exploiting the six-novel series. It put up a similar amount of the funding on the Godzilla Vs. King film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

sexpig by night posted:

yea I have a feeling they're gonna go with the classic King Kong thing where some idiot brings Kong to New York for...some kinda monkey show? I don't know what people were really buying tickets for, it was just a big ape on a stage....Then he busts out and starts doing bad ape things so Godzilla's gotta save his pets.

You don't think people would pay money to see a god damned 35 foot tall ape?