Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GugsCdLHm-Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Bikes are fun, you all should try to ride them!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
One time I was riding a bike, got off to adjust my seat, and realized a second too late I adjusted it too high. I wobbled, fell over into a ditch, rolled my ankle (Fortunately it just ended up being sprained), and then watched as a bus full of tourists drove past. I then had to get back on the bike, ride home, and then hobble up a flight of stairs to my apartment.

well that's my story

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I was riding a bike into town to get a haircut in outback Australia and some prick in a van ran me off the small gravel track and then sped off after seeing me bleeding on the ground.

I was mostly into town so I went and got a haircut anyway and had to borrow some towels to not cover the hairdressers in blood. Was nice of em to give me a cut still.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I know this is a joke thread and it's gonna be closed in a day or two, but I just wanna say that I replaced my frame shifters with NOS Shimano 2300 brifters. I did my own adjustments and bar wrap, and my bike looks fantastic and it shifts smoother than when I bought it a decade ago.
I'm very proud of myself and dammit you should be proud of me too.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
MAKE SURE TO GET WINTER TIRES, ALL-SEASONS CAN'T HANDLE SNOW OR ICE AS WELL

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I still want a Cannondale topstone but i havent sold my motorcycle yet

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Sincere post, because its 3AM an I'm bored.

I wish people understood exactly how much money, planning, and energy went into multi-modal, pedestrian, and cyclist accomodation in transportation projects right now. In a good way.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I mean money wise as a nation we spend almost the entirety of our transportation budget on car stuff like limited access highways or overly wide stroads. I do agree that there has been a bit of positive movement towards multi-modal stuff (e.g. Complete Streets & Vision Zero) but it's a glacial pace and still not up to the inequity in attention & funding given.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

We could’ve been continuing that stupid conversation right now in this thread but noooooooooooooooo

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Bikes rule, cars drool

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Having spent most of my life in the South, WA is by far the most bike friendly place I've lived. Like bike lanes actually exist here, I can't remember seeing any at all in Florida except for some of the newer subdivisions.

I'd like to see more bike lanes that are completely separate from vehicle lanes, I have a bike myself but I don't go on any major roads, just side streets.

As far as public transportation I've noticed that Tacoma has added a lot of new rail for it's street car system this year, which is also interesting historically since about a century ago streetcars were the main way to get around Tacoma.

I think this thread would get more action if it was about transportation infrastructure in general rather than just bikes.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I've only ever seen a recumbent bicycle on the road once in my life. I've seen 4 first-gen NSX's. How is the lazyboy bicycle more rare than the best supercar of the 90s?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfqMvdqPXeE

I've been hit by a car riding my bike. Wasn't fun but I walked away with minimal damage so that was nice.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

bengy81 posted:

I know this is a joke thread and it's gonna be closed in a day or two

Well, there IS an entire subforum for it.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

As Nero Danced posted:

I've only ever seen a recumbent bicycle on the road once in my life. I've seen 4 first-gen NSX's. How is the lazyboy bicycle more rare than the best supercar of the 90s?

I watched a video about recumbent bike racing, and that poo poo looks nuts. They put an aero frame on it, and they can hit 45+ mph. No thanks.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Is this the quarantine thread for folks that don't want to ignore cars murdering folks?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Well, there IS an entire subforum for it.

This is also the pedestrians thread now, and there's no forum for it. Pedestrian deaths are rising rapidly, contrary to motor vehicle deaths trends. Healthcare and vehicle design has generally made operating a motor vehicle safer, but the contrary is true of being a pedestrians. At best, nothing has happened to improve the safety of pedestrians while the number of people and vehicles has increased. In plenty of areas, the continued catering to car culture combined with urbanization has increased the interaction between walking to businesses, entertainment venues, etc, while retaining unsafe civic design and enforcement.

So yeah, about 6,500 pedestrians are killed by motorists every year, and this number has increased since the late 90s and is likely to continue to increase unless Americans and civic planners prioritize safety of people outside of motor vehicles over the convenience of people operating motor vehicles.

To get through to motorists, it is possibly better angle to point out how many people just walking around get killed by motorists. Americans may have an irrational hatred for bicyclists, but they probably don't have that same emotional response to someone just using their feet to walk around.

WaPo posted:

The analysis from the Governors Highway Safety Association estimated that pedestrian deaths totaled 6,590 in 2019, an increase of 5 percent over 2018.

It is the highest number in more than three decades, the report said, and underscores a historic reversal that has deeply disturbed safety experts.

“Pedestrian deaths were declining for 30 years and then in 2009, a complete reversal of progress became evident,” said Richard Retting, director of safety and research for Sam Schwartz Engineering, who wrote the report for the group, which represents state safety officials.

The report pointed to a host of long-established and other likely contributors to the grim tally, which has seen the number of pedestrian deaths in the United States rise from a rate of 1.3 per 100,000 people in 2009 to an estimated rate of 2.0 in 2019.

Among them: Cellphone use has soared, distracting drivers; Americans have moved toward heavier, less forgiving SUVs; drivers and pedestrians are too often intoxicated; many roads were designed with cars, not people, in mind; and walking in the dark has become increasingly deadly, according to the report.

“Increases in pedestrian fatalities are occurring largely at night,” the report said, noting that nighttime deaths shot up 67 percent from 2009 to 2018. Deaths occurring during the day were up 16 percent in that period. Now, about three-quarters of all pedestrian deaths happen when it is dark out.

That trend “suggests a need to prioritize engineering and enforcement countermeasures,” the report said, including better street lighting and more nighttime patrols.

Most pedestrians were killed away from intersections, the report notes, adding that cutting speeding can help. At busy crossings, adding flashing beacons and “pedestrian refuge islands” would make things safer. So, too, would reducing impairment, the report said.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 5, 2020

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Every time I see a modern pickup truck, I wonder what sort of pedestrian safety tests they do on those things , because the front of all of them now is a 5'x7' steel wall.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

A Bad Poster posted:

Every time I see a modern pickup truck, I wonder what sort of pedestrian safety tests they do on those things , because the front of all of them now is a 5'x7' steel wall.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2018/06/28/suvs-killing-americas-pedestrians/646139002/

Follow the rules of the road, children!

(But let us have gigantic murder trucks & drive at unsafe 30+ mph speeds on city streets while building no meaningful safe pedestrian/bike infrastructure)

E: thanks to whatever fuckwad bought this avatar of a bunch of cyclists in an accident that if I recall resulted in numerous deaths. You’re a piece of poo poo.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Uhhhhhh yeah that’s super not cool and worth asking McNally for a change. Taking the piss with av changes is usually funny but that wreck- which iirc was a drunk driver crashing into an organized and permitted race in Mexico- did kill people. This isn’t the place for snuff and if whoever bought this is reading this, go stick a bicycle spoke in your dickhole and wiggle it around a bit.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hey, that image was shared as a meme by the neo-nazi who murdered Heather Heyer when he drove his car into a group of protesters.

https://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/...-501649871.html

Feels great that not only do people need a safe space quarantine thread, but also they'll pay money to post up an image of a motorist killing a person and injuring about 15 others, because their fragile feelings got hurt by the mention of motor vehicle safety.

The image used for that avatar is from a drunk driver saying he fell asleep at the wheel and then fatally crashing into bicyclists, who were engaged in a legally sanctioned bicycle race. So some fragile little feelings-hurt poster felt the need to pay money to get in a "sick burn" by posting up an image of a drunk driver killing people.

Pro-tier posting up an image of a drunk driver, who said he was American (I don't know if he was being truthful), killing people in another country through lovely motoring habits.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Uhhhhhh yeah that’s super not cool and worth asking McNally for a change. Taking the piss with av changes is usually funny but that wreck- which iirc was a drunk driver crashing into an organized and permitted race in Mexico- did kill people. This isn’t the place for snuff and if whoever bought this is reading this, go stick a bicycle spoke in your dickhole and wiggle it around a bit.

it's really gross, but also changing it covers up the fact that some fuckstain got so boohoo mad about their car that they paid $10 to celebrate a drunk driver killing someone.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 5, 2020

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Yep.

For the record: Whoever changed Flying_Crab's av is, officially, a piece of poo poo.

Flying_Crab, PM me for a new av.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

A Bad Poster posted:

https://twitter.com/Iam_Canadian/status/1332878942345207808
https://twitter.com/QAGreenways/status/1216756397045514245?s=20

It's weird: ask me four years ago about how America structures its transportation and I'd have given you a big :shrug:

At some point, something clicked and dropped the blinders of growing up in auto-dependent suburbia from my eyes. The policies, infrastructure, and mindset we have now aren't some immutable law of the universe and we can work to make safer and cleaner roads for everyone, but challenge the privileged place the car holds in our society and some folks get viscerally angry. They reject awareness-raising about preventable vehicular violence as just zealous, lycra-clad cyclists advancing their niche cause. Hell, look no further than Flying_Crab's avatar.

I can't imagine this quarantine thread will see much traffic, but still feels good to yell into the void.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

The episode of The Dollop about what happened when cars first started taking over the roadways is a really useful insight into how we sort of got where we are. Minor spoiler: lots and lots of dead children.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

E; NM.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I used to race bikes but now I eat solid bricks of sharp cheddar cheese.

AMA

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Nice and hot piss posted:

I used to race bikes but now I eat solid bricks of sharp cheddar cheese.

AMA

Can your farts peel paint y or n?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

bengy81 posted:

Can your farts peel paint y or n?

No I literally suffer from bowel obstructions weekly because of my massive cheese ingestion.

If only I could fart

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Cugel the Clever posted:

https://twitter.com/Iam_Canadian/status/1332878942345207808
https://twitter.com/QAGreenways/status/1216756397045514245?s=20

It's weird: ask me four years ago about how America structures its transportation and I'd have given you a big :shrug:

At some point, something clicked and dropped the blinders of growing up in auto-dependent suburbia from my eyes. The policies, infrastructure, and mindset we have now aren't some immutable law of the universe and we can work to make safer and cleaner roads for everyone, but challenge the privileged place the car holds in our society and some folks get viscerally angry. They reject awareness-raising about preventable vehicular violence as just zealous, lycra-clad cyclists advancing their niche cause. Hell, look no further than Flying_Crab's avatar.

I can't imagine this quarantine thread will see much traffic, but still feels good to yell into the void.

Now they need to do this test with the 4'8" soccer mom in the driver's seat. I swear there should be a legal height limit for some vehicles, WAY to many people attempt to drive a vehicle that is to large for them.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITY-fJJnPNQ

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/12/10/nevada-highway-bike-crash-bicyclists-killed-injured/3885268001/

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

What really pisses me off is that the safety arms race necessitated by slab-grilled brodozers is causing cars to have all the same problems. I recently traded out a 1998 Accord for a 2012 sonata and have been appalled to realize the closest point on the ground I can see out the windshield is 27' from my face.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
Reminder that, while kinda unethical, you can find really expensive bike frames on craigslist/facebook marketplace from people who have no idea what they stole. There's not much you can do to get the item back to the owner nor can you say with any certainty that it's stolen to begin with, but when I see a $2,000 frame for $300 I know something is up. Plus, building your own bike teaches you proper maintenance and tuning skills. I felt bad buying a frame I knew was likely stolen but I don't think law enforcement can actually do anything.

Anyways, my only time where I had a close call was by a police officer who ignored the crosswalk sign and literally stopped to where his car lunged within inches of my leg. I kinda wish the guy hit me but he immediately stopped, got out of his car, and started apologizing profusely and made sure I was okay. That would've been a hell of a settlement.

Calvin Johnson Jr. fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 19, 2020

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Speaking of cops and bikes

https://youtu.be/QoSOEtzWPlU

“I wasn’t texting; I was looking at my phone.”

Okay that makes it all better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

Anyways, my only time where I had a close call was by a police officer who ignored the crosswalk sign and literally stopped to where his car lunged within inches of my leg. I kinda wish the guy hit me but he immediately stopped, got out of his car, and started apologizing profusely and made sure I was okay. That would've been a hell of a settlement.
Not in all places, unfortunately. From what I've heard, the NYPD is extremely aggressive against cyclists and continues to be so despite causing injury and death. They're also notorious for rampant and documentable parking in no-parking zones, on sidewalks, and in bike lanes, with no repercussions because the mayor and every other power broker in the city takes giant black SUVs everywhere. Despite being an ideal environment for alternative forms of transport, the people who decide policy often either willfully neglect or actively fight it.

Doesn't help that it's a self-reinforcing problem. Prioritizing car traffic over all else ensures most people get cars, who are then vocal constituents for the perpetuation of the dominance of the automobile. If they've been conditioned to believe that everything else is unsafe or inconvenient, people freak the gently caress out at the idea of losing "their" street parking to transit or bike lanes.