Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm so glad they (mostly) dropped Renner in the M:I movies after Ghost Protocol. Was worried he'd be the secondary lead going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I remember first noticing Renner in an episode of Angel, where he was a tortured artist/fanboy of the titular character.

David Boreanaz cosplayer is still his best role.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

A year I ago I caught S.W.A.T. on the telly and I was amazed to see him in a decently sized role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raSWINBYtuc&t=22s

I remember looking at his IMDB profile at the time and noticing he also had a voice acting role the video game for the Catwoman movie :thumbsup:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Also wow:

He is also set to star in and produce the adaptation of Brian K. Vaughn’s Ex Machina comic retitled The Great Machine

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I hate JW as much as the next guy, but it's worth pointing out that Connolly was also on Skull Island.

The script for Skull Island is atrocious.

The beginning was so stereotypical with the Vietnam poo poo I thought it was parody.

And its chock full of underwritten characters as well.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

It wasn't parody?
I thought that was the point, a formulaic Vietnam movie when blammo giant ape!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mierenneuker posted:

A year I ago I caught S.W.A.T. on the telly and I was amazed to see him in a decently sized role.

Pretty sure he's like 5'7"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Renner definitely lucked into hollywood. I mean not a horrible actor but def a stagnant-career-make-a-deal-with-the-devil vibe

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raSWINBYtuc&t=22s

I remember looking at his IMDB profile at the time and noticing he also had a voice acting role the video game for the Catwoman movie :thumbsup:

For the longest time, I thought that was Devon Sawa in S.W.A.T..

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
How does his head keep getting bigger? Go back and look at him in Senior Trip.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pope Corky the IX posted:

How does his head keep getting bigger? Go back and look at him in Senior Trip.

He's got some Irish blood.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm so glad they (mostly) dropped Renner in the M:I movies after Ghost Protocol. Was worried he'd be the secondary lead going forward.

IIRC back when that movie was first being talked about the idea was that Renner was supposed to just take over the series from Cruise.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC back when that movie was first being talked about the idea was that Renner was supposed to just take over the series from Cruise.

Didn't this happen with the Bourne movies too? Why do people keep trying to make Renner happen?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So I watched the new version of The Witches last night, and uh... I read the book years ago as a kid so I don't know how much of this is from the book, but this is the first time I've seen a Roald Dahl adaptation since learning he was a raging anti-Semite, and that could not have been any clearer in the movie. Big-nosed demon-spawn with vaguely Eastern European accents hunting down our precious children to poison as part of their plot to take over the world... hmm, wonder where Dahl got those ideas from?

Also I can't believe that movie came from a combination of Zemeckis and Guillermo del Toro.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Remember when they tried to restart the Bourne series with Renner? That was funny

E:f,b but it still makes me chuckle

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I liked Renner in Tag.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Chairman Capone posted:

So I watched the new version of The Witches last night, and uh... I read the book years ago as a kid so I don't know how much of this is from the book, but this is the first time I've seen a Roald Dahl adaptation since learning he was a raging anti-Semite, and that could not have been any clearer in the movie. Big-nosed demon-spawn with vaguely Eastern European accents hunting down our precious children to poison as part of their plot to take over the world... hmm, wonder where Dahl got those ideas from?

Also I can't believe that movie came from a combination of Zemeckis and Guillermo del Toro.

Del Toro doesn't exactly have a great track record for the movie he produces.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
If we just started naming guys who were basically interchangeable with Jeremy Renner active in Hollywood right now, how long do you think the list would be? 50 names? 100?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
There can be only Renner

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Vandar posted:

I liked Renner in Tag.

What about ULTIMATE TAG?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jimmeeee posted:

Didn't this happen with the Bourne movies too? Why do people keep trying to make Renner happen?

Oscar Isaac had a small part in that movie and even in that little bit he stole the show from Renner.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tag's the one where they had to CGI his arms right.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Tag's the one where they had to CGI his arms right.

Does he not actually have arms? Like Henry Cavill’s mustache in reverse?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

His guns were distractingly big, like Willem Defoe's dilz

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I dunno about you guys but I’ll take Jeremy Renner over the likes of Sam Worthington or Jai Courtney any day of the week.

He had broken his arms which is a problem in a movie called “Tag”.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 5, 2020

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Vandar posted:

I liked Renner in Tag.

He was great in The Town. But maybe anyone will look great next to Ben Affleck.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jai Courtney in Terminator Genisys will always be worth it just because of the implication that the gigantic bodybuilder death machines keep successfully sneaking into the resistance camps because hey, just look at Reese over there

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

He broke his arms during filming I think. There are even points in the film you can see his broken arms and the CGI ones like some weird Goro.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Groovelord Neato posted:

He broke his arms during filming I think. There are even points in the film you can see his broken arms and the CGI ones like some weird Goro.

I must watch this movie

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

Suddenly I'm envisioning a scenario where due to SAG rules an actor who has broken his body to pieces is still required to continue filming to get credit so they Weekend at Bernie's it and use CG to fill the rest in like moving his arms or interacting with the environment.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I cant say I've liked Renner in much of anything other than American Hustle...which I feel like was a pretty lovely movie overall (other than like, Jennifer Lawrence). His weird Pesci vibes and stupid hair in that were great.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't think he's a bad actor but he's a piece of poo poo person so maybe Hollywood doesn't need to keep giving him work?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think he's a bad actor but he's a piece of poo poo person so maybe Hollywood doesn't need to keep giving him work?

Yeah, I think his current hatedom is the double whammy of the abuse news and his ridiculous app.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

yea Renner's fine as an actor but his 'thing' of just being a kinda bland white dude who can do action stuff is so common I just don't see why he's worth giving roles when he's such a sack of garbage.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
He's a modern day Robert Ginty.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's like with Sam Worthington, Hollywood can't stop trying to push bland white goobers as action stars despite absolutely everyone considering them completely interchangeable and forgettable.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Apparently the Monster Hunter movie has been completely pulled from theaters in China shortly after its release because of online backlash to this really lovely line
https://twitter.com/zhugeex/status/1334794969727569924?s=21
https://twitter.com/zhugeex/status/1335261989292175360?s=21
Variety reported that even the edited version may be prohibited from distribution

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's amazing how Hollywood keeps finding new ways to make video game movies crash and burn.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Enos Cabell posted:

Remember when they tried to restart the Bourne series with Renner? That was funny
The Bourne Legacy is such a weird tangent to the Damon films. They're kinda-grounded action conspiracy thrillers about a guy who's been brutally trained into a killing machine. Legacy, meanwhile, goes full sci-fi with genetically modified super-soldiers. (All the weirder because for it to be contemporaneous with Ultimatum, it would have to be set in the early 2000s.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

AceOfFlames posted:

I dunno about you guys but I’ll take Jeremy Renner over the likes of Sam Worthington or Jai Courtney any day of the week.

He had broken his arms which is a problem in a movie called “Tag”.

I feel like both those guys are way nicer though, something about Aussies. Maybe it's because we expect them to put holes in walls everywhere they go and they dont actually do that

idk maybe if you like Renner's "ashtray-in-a-car scented cologne" smoulder i guess