Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bracket & Noms Spreadsheet
Letterboxd List

Tokyo Conference / Doubles Conference

Itallian Conference / American Slasher Conference

Where We're At:
The Championships!
4. MacheteZombie’s The One n Dones vs. 5. Deb’s Queer as in gently caress You
- James Bond III’s Def by Temptation vs. Hélène Cattet & Bruno Forzani’s Amer
- Lesley Manning’s Ghostwatch vs. Nikos Nikolaidis’ Singapore Sling
- Kathryn Bigelow’s Near Dark vs. Hélène Cattet & Bruno Forzani’s The Strange Colors of Your Body

Vote or change your vote until 3 AM EST Sept 10th (or when I wake up)

-------------------
Happy Holidays my fellow Spook-a-Doodle fans! Its been a couple of months since we ended our epic summer long Director Bracketology Tournament/Movie Club and we had plenty of Halloween Challenges and Sunday Chill Streams but we’re all nerds so we’re itching, aren’t we? So I volunteered to do Bracketology II and I have an idea. You know me, I can be an over complicated crazy person so I’m gonna do my best to keep this simple.

We keep the same basic format Shrecknet established. Open nominations for Directors and their lists of movies. A big vote to see who gets in and seeding. A council of folks to pick the top seeds and troubleshoot problems. Weekly rounds. All what we’re used to and what Shreck established and ran so well. Here’s where I get involved and it gets a little complicated.

Eligibility: Every director is eligible even if they played last round, but only films that didn’t get played last round are eligible. So Dario Argento is eligible but Suspiria and Deep Red are not. You can still put together a ballot for Argento but not including those two heavyweights since they got played last round.

Ballot Size: Every ballot/nomination/list must have a minimum of 6 films on it but no maximum. The minimum avoids us repeating movies and the maximum assures that there’s no way to weight a ballot one way or another for a director by either cherry picking their 6 best films or their 6 worst. Instead if someone like Wes Craven has a large and uneven catalogue its gonna be a wild card each round for what he draws.

Teams: Argento and Craven will be able to find 6+ films easy but others like David Cronenberg, Sam Raimi, Brian Yuzna, or David Lynch went deep and won’t. And there’s still plenty of directors who don’t have 6 films in total. That’s where it gets fun. You can team 2-6 directors up for one list provided they have 5 or less eligible films each. So you can team up 6 directors with 1 eligible film, 3 with 2, or 2 with 5. The math just has to work out but you can’t cherry pick. If a director has 6 films they have to be on their own, and if you get to 6 with 2 directors you can’t add a 3rd. Make sense?

That opens the door for all kinds of interesting things. You could team Cronenberg’s remaining horrors up with his son’s. Or team Raimi’s Evil Dead up with Matt Guertz’s Tonight She Comes and Fede Alvaraz’s Evil Dead ’13. Or team Robert Rodriguez, Quentin Tarantino, and Eli Roth up as the “Grindhouse” team. One Hit Wonders like Night of the Hunter and Carnival of Souls? A couple of directors from the same country? Some real trash stuff? Your primary limitation is what you can theme up and make work.

But “No Cherry Picking” is key to keep this “fair” I think. You have to make a good faith effort to fill your team with a director’s eligible films. If something is especially obscure or a short or something that can be skipped, but if you did do that Raimi/Guertz/Alvarez teamup you’d also have to include Raimi’s The Gift, Alvarez’s Don’t Breathe, and Guertz’ RWD.

So does that all make sense? I think its a simple enough twist on what we already made work that both keeps this going and adds a new wrinkle people could have fun with. It lets you put together teams, have a vested rooting interest in your team(s), and creates potentially wild card entries if you can make the right combination. And again, I propose a Council of 8 like last time to deal with any problems and pick 8 top seeds. I would suggest disqualifying myself in the name of fairness and nominate the 8 top posters in the last thread. Provided they’re all interested and still engaged.

Debbie Does Dagon
TrixRabbi
Basebf555
Franchescanado
married but discreet
Shrecknet
Burkion
MacheteZombie

The other question is when? We can start this Jan 1st if we want or we can delay it if people’s schedules ask for it. The goal is participation and fun so if delaying this makes sense I say we delay it. But if we’re ready to go, I’ll get the ball rolling.

For the sake of reference here are links to Shrek’s spreadsheet of movies played last time and now ineligible, a quick a dirty spreadsheet I compiled of what nominated directors/movies are still eligible, and the thread itself.

Last Year’s Thread
Last Year’s Spreadsheet
Last Year’s Holdovers

This Tourney's Noms

So what does everyone think?

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm definitely still interested! The teamup thing is intriguing, but it might be putting a huge advantage towards those vs single directors.
We had a big list of directors left out from the last tournament, anyone able to dig that up?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the "no cherry picking" thing helps counter a bit. Like if you can put together a team of 2-6 directors with really tight and great catalogues and no trash, yeah, you might have an edge. But that's at least harder than last time with the 2 film directors. And maybe the big time director gets unlucky and draws a bad film but I think the randomness of the movie pick is more appealing to the "movie club" aspect. And everyone loved the upsets last time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The tournament itself sounds like it would be great but I'm worried that nomination process would be very complicated.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm just going to dive in headfirst and nominate myself a squad I can root for:

The Brutal Brits - Ben Wheatley & Neil Marshall

Kill List
Sightseers
A Field in England
Dog Soldiers
The Descent
Doomsday

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

The tournament itself sounds like it would be great but I'm worried that nomination process would be very complicated.

Its certainly possible and was my concern. I always overcomplicate things. But I'm gonna try and stay hands off and not nitpick things. Hopefully it won't be an issue much. Like Tarnop's nom seems like it checks out fine.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Team Name: Queer as in gently caress You

Directors: Yann Gonzalez, Bertrand Mandico, Hélène Cattet/Bruno Forzani, Alejandro Jodorowsky, Nikos Nikolaidis

Films:

Knife + Heart
Les garçons sauvages
The Strange Color of You Body's Tears
Amer
Santa Sangre
Singapore Sling

Possible nitpicks:

Let the Corpses Tan - which is a thriller
See You in Hell, My Darling - which is very hard to find

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
drat, I had a really lesser known giallo director lineup before I realized I can't include directors who would qualify on their own.

It would have been this:

What Have You Done to Solange? (1972) - Massimo Dallamano
The Bloodstained Butterfly (1971) - Duccio Tessari
Death Laid an Egg (1968) - Giulio Questi
Short Night of Glass Dolls (1971) - Aldo Lado
Who Saw Her Die? (1972) - Aldo Lado
Eye in the Labyrinth (1972) - Mario Caiano

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Team Name: Queer as in gently caress You

Directors: Yann Gonzalez, Bertrand Mandico, Hélène Cattet/Bruno Forzani, Alejandro Jodorowsky, Nikos Nikolaidis

Films:

Knife + Heart
Les garçons sauvages
The Strange Color of You Body's Tears
Amer
Santa Sangre
Singapore Sling

Possible nitpicks:

Let the Corpses Tan - which is a thriller
See You in Hell, My Darling - which is very hard to find

We watched Cattet/Forzani for the last tournament, didn't we?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Basebf555 posted:

Would be fun just to theorycraft for a while, no need to start this in January.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

married but discreet posted:

We watched Cattet/Forzani for the last tournament, didn't we?

We didn't, they didn't even get through the nominations process :colbert:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Would be fun just to theorycraft for a while, no need to start this in January.
Yeah, that's what I figured. Best to just post it and see what happens. If it proves too much we can scrap it and figure out a simpler idea. Right now the work seems to be on me to double check and I'm fine with that.

drat, I had a really lesser known giallo director lineup before I realized I can't include directors who would qualify on their own.
I just think that restriction is probably necessary to avoid people just putting together cherry picked super teams.

edit:

Noms Spreadsheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rzRuxycZQQAkq1VjkgDyqTpmhrN_uVRSyk5d4D0I7Ig/edit?usp=sharing

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Hell, Joel Schumacher isn't on any list?

Lost Boys
Flatliners
8MM
Blood Creek
Phantom of the Opera
The Number 23

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Obviously Bava needs to have another crack at this. I believe the only two movies he burned last time were Kill, Baby Kill!, and Twitch of the Death Nerve. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think his eligible films would be:

The Girl Who Knew Too Much
Black Sunday
Black Sabbath
Blood and Black Lace
Planet of the Vampires
Five Dolls for an August Moon
Hatchet for the Honeymoon
Baron Blood
Lisa and the Devil
Shock

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm working on a list of one horror film directors for a team.

Charles Laughton- night of the hunter
Kathryn Bigelow- near dark
Fran rubel kuzui - Buffy the vampire slayer
Bill gunn - ganja n hess
James bond iii - def by temptation
Gerard mcmurray- first purge
Mati diop - Atlantics
Julia Ducournau- raw
Anna biller - love witch (tho viva may be horror)
Coralie fargeat- revenge

I also want to get koji back in this tourney but he has enough for himself again though many of them aren't easily accessible. So maybe he'd qualify for a team up?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Adding my two heavyweights both to get them off the board and address the "no maximum" factor.

John Carpenter
1) The Thing
2) Halloween
3) In The Mouth of Madness
4) The Fog
5) Vampires
6) Village of the Damned
7) Ghosts of Mars
8) The Ward
9) Cigarette Burns
10) Pro-Life

Wes Craven
1) Scream
2) A Nightmare on Elm Street
3) Scream 2
4) Scream 4
5) Scream 3
6) New Nightmare
7) The Hills Have Eyes
8) Red Eye
9) The People Under The Stairs
10) The Serpent and The Rainbow
11) Swamp Thing Shocker
12) Cursed
13) Vampire in Brooklyn
14) My Soul to Take
15) Deadly Blessing
16) Deadly Friend
17) The Hills Have Eyes Part 2
18) Summer of Fear
19) Invitation to Hell
20) Chiller

So like obviously those are crazy lists, especially Wes. But I kind of like that because it increases the randomness of the draw each round and puts no bias on their choices. And wouldn't it be kind of funny if we did this thing over and over and Wes kept drawing his bad films every time? I love him but I can appreciate that.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I guess this brings up the intersection of the No Cherry Picking rule with Thrillers:Y/N?

If thrillers are included and there's no cherry picking then that Joel Schumacher list doubles in size and includes a John Grisham adaptation

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I guess I'm seeing Thrillers as bubble movies. So I guess that is "cherry picking", which is unfortunately contradictory. But I figure if people feel strongly one way or another about a movie in particular then we can hash it out. Like if someone felt strongly that Phonebooth and Falling Down should count as much as 8MM? I can see that case. But like A Time to Kill and The Client? Not so much. So we hash it out and if necessary put it up to a council vote before we finalize noms.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

A sensible ruling

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Just to clarify, Teams must be composed of directors with an exact total of 6 movies, right?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Minimum 6, no maximum

There's an implied maximum because you can't just keep adding directors to a team that's already at 6+

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Tarnop posted:

Minimum 6, no maximum

There's an implied maximum because you can't just keep adding directors to a team that's already at 6+

Aye, in that case we gotta add all eligible movies to Brutal Brits to avoid nitpicks, no?
Neil Marshall has 5 full horror movies so we should add The Reckoning (2020) and Hellboy (2019).
Ben Wheatley could perhaps also have High Rise (2016) and Rebecca (2020) added? They're at the very least horror adjacent.

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 5, 2020

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I just went off stuff tagged as horror on letterboxd. I didn't realise The Reckoning had seen general release yet.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Just to clarify, Teams must be composed of directors with an exact total of 6 movies, right?

This is definitely the most complicated part of this and I'm not sure how to phrase it properly. You're maxed at directors at 6. You're not maxed at films at 6. But you're maxed at ADDING directors when you get to 6 films.

So if Director A has 5 films you can add 1 more director. Director B could have 1-5 films for a total of 6-10 films, but whatever Director B's total is will get you to 6 so you can't add a 3rd.

If Directors A and B have 2 films, Director C has 3, and Director D has 1 then there's a few ways you can work it. You could put A, B, and C together for a total of 7. Or you could put A OR B with C and D for a total 6. But you couldn't put all of them together because you could reach 6 without D.

Aye, in that case we gotta add all eligible movies to Brutal Brits to avoid nitpicks, no?
Neil Marshall has 5 full horror movies so we should add The Reckoning (2020), Hellboy (2019) and Doomsday (2008)
Ben Wheatley could perhaps also have High Rise (2016) and Rebecca (2020) added? They're at the very least horror adjacent.

Doomsday is on. I think Reckoning is theoretically dismissible since it doesn't seem to have any distribution. So its up to what people thing about those. But if we included them all it would still be a valid team since Marshall has 5 and Wheatley has 5.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, Tried to make Team Grindhouse work but Eli Roth and Rob Zombie have too many films. So adding them and then trying for my team with what’s left.

Eli Roth
1) Hostel
2) Knock, Knock
3) Green Inferno
4) Cabin Fever
5) The House With The Clock In The Walls
6) Hostel Part II

Rob Zombie
1) House of 1000 Corpses
2) Halloween
3) The Devil's Rejects
4) Lords of Salem
5) 3 From Hell
6) 31
7) The Haunted World of El Superbeasto

Team Grindhouse
Robert Rodriguez
1) From Dusk Til Dawn
2) The Faculty
Quentin Tarantino
3) Death Proof
Edgar Wright
4) Shaun of the Dead
Jason Eisener
5) Hobo With a Shotgun
Allison Anders, Alexandre Rockwell, Robert Rodriguez, and Quentin Tarantino
6) Four Rooms

Ok, that last one is a reach but it has witches, Hitchcock, desiccated corpses, and torture. I dare you to tell me its not at least horror adjacent. Why’d we have to burn Planet Terror? if people really object I’ll pull it until I can find a 6th

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 5, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, I don't want to spam this and do them all but I feel like this is a super obvious one everyone will like that helps defuse the idea that this "team" thing has to be complicated. It can be as simple as finding 2 directors with small catalogues who fit well together.

Team Exorcist (William Friedkin & William Peter Blatty)
William Friedkin
1) The Exorcist
2) Bug
3) The Guardian
4) The Devil & Father Amorth

William Peter Blatty
5) The Exorcist III
6) The Ninth Configuration

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Lloyd Kaufman

The Toxic Avenger
The Toxic Avenger Part II
The Toxic Avenger Part III: The Last Temptation of Toxie
Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV
Class of Nuke 'Em High
Return to Nuke ’Em High Volume 1
Return to… Return to Nuke ’Em High AKA Vol. 2
Tromeo & Juliet
Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead
Terror Firmer
Parts of the Family

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Team: The NYC Grime Connection
(Frank Henenlotter, and Abel Ferrara)

(Frank Henenlotter)
Basket Case
Basket Case 2
Brain Damage
Frankenhooker
Bad Biology

(Abel Ferrara)
Ms. 45
Driller Killer
Body Snatchers

If Abel loses because of Bad Biology, I apologise unreservedly.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

MacheteZombie posted:

Bill gunn - ganja n hess
Mati diop - Atlantics
Julia Ducournau- raw
Coralie fargeat- revenge

The Shining?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Tarnop posted:

The Shining?

I'd say A Clockwork Orange and Eyes Wide Shut are both horror films

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Predation
Jonathan Glazer - Under the Skin
Tomas Alfredson - Let the Right One In
David Robert Mitchell - It Follows
Michael Powell - Peeping Tom
Gerald Kargl - Angst
Steven Spielberg - Jaws

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Tarnop posted:

Steven Spielberg - Jaws

Spielberg needs Duel and some big dinos rolled up in there too.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

*throws toys out of pram*

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Bill gunn - ganja n hess
Mati diop - Atlantics
Julia Ducournau- raw
Coralie fargeat- revenge

I also want to get koji back in this tourney but he has enough for himself again though many of them aren't easily accessible. So maybe he'd qualify for a team up?

Another for the Ones
Na Hong-jin - The Wailing

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

I'd say A Clockwork Orange and Eyes Wide Shut are both horror films

Hell, teaming up Kubrick and Spielberg might be unfair but it would be one heck of a duo.

Trying to come up with a lineup for my homecountry, work in progress. Not very competitive but should probably make for at least one interesting watch.

Austrian Oscar Winners who also do horror

Cold Hell (2017) - Stefan Ruzowitzky
Patient Zero (2017) - Stefan Ruzowitzky
Anatomy (2000) - Stefan Ruzowitzky
Anatomy 2 (2003) - Stefan Ruzowitzky
Funny Games (1997) - Michael Haneke
Funny Games (2008) - Michael Haneke
Benny's Video (1992) - Michael Haneke
The Time of the Wolf (2003) - Michael Haneke
Caché (2005) - Michael Haneke

I don't quiiiite know if Time of the Wolf and Cache would be appropriate (not seen, but they sound at least horror adjacent). Plus Haneke has an experimental documentary of sorts that sounds like it could apply:

[url posted:

https://iffr.com/en/1993/films/nachruf-f%C3%BCr-einen-m%C3%B6rder[/url]]
Nachruf für einen Mörder
An exceptionally experimental work in Haneke's oeuvre. He painstakingly confronts the medium television with itself. The film is built up of existing TV shots taken from different broadcasts all on one day.On 8 September 1990 Felix Zehetner (21) from Wien-Floridsdorf shot his parents dead in their sleep, inflicted a bloodbath at a neighbour's party, shot two policemen and finally killed himself. This trail of killing shocked the whole of Austria.The motive for Nachruf für einen Mörder was not the murder itself, but a discussion programme, Club 2, broadcast in Austrian television three days later. The theme of the debate was: death instead of speaking about the 'intoxication of violence' among young people. Participants in the discussion were not just the usual psychiatrists and social-workers, but also those directly involved, the people who survived the party itself. The latter especially provided emotional and revealing statements.At first Haneke just copied the broadcast, but at a certain point he started to superimpose images while the sound of the conversation continues. He used fragments from the broadcasts on that day with as rule: the longer the broadcast, the longer the fragment. Without any manipulation by Haneke, the mundane TV pictures brimming with violence illustrate the conversation about the murder.

I could switch out Haneke for Veronika Franz & Severin Fiala:

Goodnight Mommy (2015) - Veronika Franz, Severin Fiala
The Lodge (2020) - Veronika Franz, Severin Fiala
The Field Guide to Evil (2018) - Segment "Die Trud" - Veronika Franz, Severin Fiala

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Spielberg needs Duel and some big dinos rolled up in there too.

I accept this correction. STAC Goat, could you swap out Spielberg for Alice Lowe - Prevenge in my group please?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tarnop posted:

I accept this correction. STAC Goat, could you swap out Spielberg for Alice Lowe - Prevenge in my group please?
Done.

I don't quiiiite know if Time of the Wolf and Cache would be appropriate (not seen, but they sound at least horror adjacent). Plus Haneke has an experimental documentary of sorts that sounds like it could apply:

I could switch out Haneke for Veronika Franz & Severin Fiala:

Its up to you. I'm not familiar enough with Haneke to say. A quick look at the films makes it seem like they MIGHT be but I dunno. So unless someone voices in with an objection its probably your call of Haneke or Franz/Fiala.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Blockbuster Monsters

Spielberg:

Duel
Jaws
Jurassic Park
War of the Worlds

Stephen Sommers:

Deep Rising
The Mummy
The Mummy Returns
Van Helsing
Odd Thomas

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In the name of balance if Spielberg has Jurassic Park he probably get gets Lost World too, no?

Nom still holds valid even with that. That's the perfect 5+5 team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

In the name of balance if Spielberg has Jurassic Park he probably get gets Lost World too, no?

Yea definitely, just an oversight on my part