Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I didn't like it but I am not a fan of horror comedy really. At least that brand of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

My problem with horror-comedy is that they're not really ever fusions.

Horror comedy movies either tend to be just straight up comedy movies with a lot of blood in them, or are just scenes from a horror plot and a comedy plot awkwardly spliced together.

The only movie I know of that is simultaneously hilarious and terrifying is Shaun of the Dead. Genuinely hilarious and genuinely terrifying. Movies like I Saw The Devil or the Killing of A Sacred Deer pull off that "so pitch-black it's funny" thing, but I don't consider those horror-comedy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Return of the Living Dead is the best horror/comedy. And also the best zombie movie.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

See I'd call RotL a horror movie with some humor in it. It goes for a more fun/camp vibe than a straight up comedy or horror/comedy vibe.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Return of the Living Dead is the best horror/comedy. And also the best zombie movie.

And also the best movie.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Evil Dead (1981) is the perfect horror comedy because it's both hilariously janky and over the top and genuinely disturbing sometimes within the same scene. The latter films in the series had much better production values but leaned a bit to hard on the comedy axis for my tastes.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

:agreed:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’d argue that Creepshow and Night of the Creeps are both successful horror comedies. Also, I recently watched the ‘88 Blob for the first time since I was a kid with my spouse that’s never seen it and there is a lot of dark comedy in that movie.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Tremors is the best horror/comedy. And also the best giant worm movie.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Stink Billyums posted:

Tremors is the best horror/comedy. And also the best giant worm movie.

Yes, add that to Shaun of the Dead, Return of the Living Dead, Creepshow, and Night of the Creeps. Hell, I’d throw in American Psycho. That movie is loving hilarious.

EDIT: Cabin in the Woods

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 5, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I should probably upgrade my Return of the Living Dead DVD to a Blu-Ray. One day I'd love to see our Juicy Boy in HDR

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Little Shop of Horrors is pretty effectively disturbing, especially the alternative ending. I feel like it's more comedy than horror, but it's definitely in my top of best monsters. Audrey II is like Xenomorph/Karloff's Monster level.

Invisible Man is a hoot while never feeling like a pure comedy, although it's more gothic.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

do you guys prefer your zombies dry like Zombi or wet like RotLD

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Extra dry and riding horses:
Tombs of the Blind Dead

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The best comedy horror is Tucker and Dale vs Evil.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Hollismason posted:

The best comedy horror is Tucker and Dale vs Evil.

It’s miles more interesting critique and discussion of horror tropes than Cabin in the Woods. CitW is fine, maybe it just doesn’t hold up to more than the first viewing 🤷🏽‍♂️

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I know it’s pretty basic of me but Evil Dead II has got to be my favorite horror-comedy. An American Werewolf in London is probably #2. Seeing that one in a packed midnight showing really emphasized the comedy aspect.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Nothing basic about enjoying the classics

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Tarnop posted:

Nothing basic about enjoying the classics

It’s one of those movies that I saw early enough in my horror “career” that it’s hard for me to objectively judge it. It set such a high standard that other notable movies felt a bit disappointing in comparison and it’s only been through the years that I’ve come to understand how special it is. In a way I wish I had seen it later.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ghostbusters would be more comedy-horror than horror-comedy, right?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

id call it just comedy tbh

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

theres a lot of movies with ghosts in them that arent horror movies.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
my favorite horror comedy is Ghost Dad

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

id call it just comedy tbh
Ghostbusters is basically a superhero movie.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i just finish watching freaky and its a perfect example of a straight up comedy movie thats bloody. At no point does it try to scare you.

That being said its great, Vince Vaughn does a great job and its got a lot of charm and is genuinely wicked funny

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

theres a lot of movies with ghosts in them that arent horror movies.

I agree that this (comedies not horror) for Ghostbusters and Tucker and Dale but all the other ones people just mentioned are pretty good representations of horror-comedy fusions imo. Killer Klowns scared me more than any other movie when I was a kid and that’s definitely a horror comedy. I guess its pretty subjective but if you consider splatstick as comedy then there’s tons of examples

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
The first Ghostbuster actually did a good job balancing some genuinely creepy horror elements with the goofy comedy bits. I do not feel the same about the sequel, which I would not consider to be horror at all.

I'd say Michael Dougherty has a good grasp on the balance between horror and comedy, too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I always found Ghostbusters 2 to be scarier than the original, maybe you just saw the first one at a much younger age?

Aside from the obvious subway scene, I just think Vigo is a really scary villain. He scared the crap out of me as a kid, I can tell you that.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
The bathtub scene scared me as a kid but as an adult I find it corny, especially by the end. When I rewatched the original as an adult I appreciated the cosmic horror aspect and how it built up Zuul as a genuine and intimidating threat to juxtapose against what goofballs the Ghostbusters are. It's aged a lot better for me.

But I guess that depends on what you find more scary

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kvlt! posted:

The first Kiss album was what? 72?

The only metal band was Sabbath pretty much.

All your super brutal death metal heroes grew up listening to Kiss

1973. And hark at the fool who apparently thinks that Deep Purple are NWOBHM. Jesus, even Uriah Heep were doing metal by 1971.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Cross post from the Korea thread because I don’t see it mentioned last couple pages:

Last night I watched a horror/ thriller movie, The Call, on Netflix, about two women who can communicate with each other across a twenty two year time gap. The lead actress was also in #Alive, a zombie movie that dropped in October. I liked this movie a lot, it was fairly grim

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
gently caress, speaking of horror comedies, Sheitan (2006) absolutely slaps, and is season appropriate to watch too. Vincent Cassel is an absolute gem, the entire movie is a hoot, highly recommended.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i think Reanimator and From Beyond both have their hilarious moments, horror movies that dip a toe into comedy maybe

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
From Beyond and Re-Animator are both horror comedies which make them different than comedy horror.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

married but discreet posted:

gently caress, speaking of horror comedies, Sheitan (2006) absolutely slaps, and is season appropriate to watch too. Vincent Cassel is an absolute gem, the entire movie is a hoot, highly recommended.

Hell yea, saw this years ago and still throw it on every now and again.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Gremlins is good comedy horror while the sequel is just pure comedy gold.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Housebound is good comedy horror.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Evil Dead (1981) is the perfect horror comedy because it's both hilariously janky and over the top and genuinely disturbing sometimes within the same scene. The latter films in the series had much better production values but leaned a bit to hard on the comedy axis for my tastes.

There's really not that much intentional comedy in Evil Dead. There's almost none, in fact. Calling it a horror comedy is mistaking the amateurish aspects and campy scenes as intentional jokes, which is silly. Just because Bruce Campbell's in it doesn't make it a comedy.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lurdiak posted:

There's really not that much intentional comedy in Evil Dead. There's almost none, in fact. Calling it a horror comedy is mistaking the amateurish aspects and campy scenes as intentional jokes, which is silly. Just because Bruce Campbell's in it doesn't make it a comedy.

:wrong:

Schindler's List would have been a laugh riot if Bruce Campbell was in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

gey muckle mowser posted:

Just watched Anything for Jackson on Shudder, and it was pretty good! It’s a borderline horror/comedy that doesn’t quite lean into the comedy part enough for my taste (it’s got some absurd bits but I never really laughed or anything), but it’s inventive and original and has a lot of fun parts. It seems like it’s going to be a slow burn at the start but it gets pretty wild before long.

It isn’t movie of the year or anything but it was a pleasant surprise.

I watched this last night and loved it. The comedy was pretty perfectly paced, it mostly all came from character interactions and the insanity of the scenario ramping up. My wife described it as "Fargo if William H Macy was a Satanist" which felt pretty accurate.

My absolute favorite scare was the trick or treat sheet ghost that turned from a little girl into a weirdly proportioned giant lanky thing although the scares in general were excellent in this.