Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

All I want for Christmas is this spec :swoon:

Buddy, literally every Negroni is 1oz vermouth, 1oz Campari, 1oz spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

With gin, Campari, and red vermouth I use jigger:pony:pony.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

negronialignmentchart.jpg

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Sometimes I use Cynar instead of Campari.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

loving gobsmacked at this lovely oven. It’s been set at 500 for like 30 minutes and the thermometer still reads 400.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Pollyanna posted:

loving gobsmacked at this lovely oven. It’s been set at 500 for like 30 minutes and the thermometer still reads 400.

i moved into a brand new apartment with a brand new oven 18 or so months ago. it is super off (way cooler than my set temp). I suppose i should just invest in a proper oven thermometer, but I've basically figured out i need to set the temp 15 degrees (f) over the recipe and cook it 10% longer. i should be grateful it at least the oven says comes to temperature lol

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The voting thread for ICSA 70 is up, please take a look at the efforts of your fellow GWS denizens and give them your votes!

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I'm so hungry, I'm eating barbeque sauce on a plate and licking it up. This sucks, even in the city everything is closed at 10pm. Kansas City sauce, by the way.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Any suggestions on how to use cabbage, potatoes, onions, and some carrots in a soup? I actually don't know how to make a soup from scratch compared to something like a dressing, where there's a rule that it's a 3:1 oil:acid ratio.

Are there other rules like that in cooking? It'd be super cool to look at a bunch of ingredients in my fridge and know exactly what I can make with them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You can just eyeball how much of each you want, soup is the ultimate in anything rules cooking

If you wanna be fancy, sautée the onions first then dump in the liquid and the rest of the veggies

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pollyanna posted:

Any suggestions on how to use cabbage, potatoes, onions, and some carrots in a soup? I actually don't know how to make a soup from scratch compared to something like a dressing, where there's a rule that it's a 3:1 oil:acid ratio.

Are there other rules like that in cooking? It'd be super cool to look at a bunch of ingredients in my fridge and know exactly what I can make with them.

Sweat the onions and carrots. Add garlic, maybe tomato paste, cook for a minute. Add stock and potatoes (and maybe something like green lentils, split peas, beans etc). Perhaps some herbs or spices depending on flavour profile. A few minutes from being cooked add the cabbage.
We have a potato, cabbage and canellini bean soup with a lemon basil pistou which is delicious. Carrots would work too. The pistou really elevates it.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
As above but add a cup or two of red or brown lentils and you've got half a dozen stew meals.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

sweat poteto posted:

As above but add a cup or two of red or brown lentils and you've got half a dozen stew meals.

I was going to suggest that but the beans are there. Green lentils or split peas would work well too.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
You can also decide to mix it smooth once it's cooked as well, if you prefer that kind of soup, and maybe add some cream. Add some roasted nuts and almonds for texture, or make parmesan crisps as topping.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Best tip for soups is to roast your vegetables first.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
What does this thread thing about bone broth? If you buy a lot of chicken feet you could make a warming chicken noodle soup in the crockpot overnight.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Bone broth is a stupid term for idiots.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Best tip for soups is to roast your vegetables first.

Mostly true but not so much for potatoes and cabbage. Something like butternut, absolutely. It intensifies the flavour beautifully.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Chemmy posted:

Bone broth is a stupid term for idiots.

i used to save all my bones in a ziplock in the freezer and when the bag was full id let it sit in the crockpot for a few days then strain. Those were fun times

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Sounds delicious. I’m making stock right now as well.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Making your own stock is great, calling it bone broth is weird and strangely offputting. Whó came up with that term?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
People like Kobe Bryant who tried to market it as a new high nutrition energy drink that athletes drink to rehab faster.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
more like boner broth

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

DekeThornton posted:

Making your own stock is great, calling it bone broth is weird and strangely offputting. Whó came up with that term?

The Mandalorian, of course :v:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Cheese Thief posted:

i used to save all my bones in a ziplock in the freezer and when the bag was full id let it sit in the crockpot for a few days then strain. Those were fun times

I'm currently trying to figure out how many chicken thigh bones it takes to make about 6 cups of stock. I think I'm just going to keep bagging them infinitely at this rate.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

A gallon freezer bag o bones makes two quarts of stock for us hth

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

One chicken's worth of bones per quart, IME. Maybe that's too much.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

DekeThornton posted:

No Whó isn't on marketing, Whó's on first.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

therattle posted:

Mostly true but not so much for potatoes and cabbage. Something like butternut, absolutely. It intensifies the flavour beautifully.

Oh well, yes, there are quite a lot of things that I wouldn’t roast before making soup with them. I guess the rule of them is “if you wouldn’t roast it to eat it on its own, don’t roast it to make soup”

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Making a vegetable soup today. Going to try roasting the butternut squash, carrot and swede first now.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Oh well, yes, there are quite a lot of things that I wouldn’t roast before making soup with them. I guess the rule of them is “if you wouldn’t roast it to eat it on its own, don’t roast it to make soup”

But I do roast potatoes and cabbage sometimes Checkmate!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Enfys posted:

Making a vegetable soup today. Going to try roasting the butternut squash, carrot and swede first now.

Don't be afraid to cut some of that into smaller pieces so you get the most surface area available for roasting. If you're using a roasting tray I'd just cut things into halves until there's no more room left, within reason. I'm very char-forward though, YMMV.

e: On this note, squash is one of the things I've found the most rewarding to do with the air fryer. Cube and toss in some oil/salt/pepper/cinnamon/nutmeg and it's done unbelievably fast if you're used to a 20 year old oven.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Having just gotten an air fryer and being an enormous fan of squash, I am extremely excited :dance:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

therattle posted:

But I do roast potatoes and cabbage sometimes Checkmate!

Goddamn it, you’re always one step ahead

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I just ate some thing I thought couldn't exist. Kroger sometimes gives away free items on Friday if you clip their digital coupon and I tried Violife vegan cheese. Now, I've tried vegan cheese before and it's always complete poo poo. Disclaimer: I do not work for this company or own stock for them or anything like that. This cheese was really good. It even melted like normal cheese. I have no idea how they made it but I'm really drat impressed.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Dec 7, 2020

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

We used their shredded mozzarella on pizza a month ago and, while it wasn't terrible, Mrs. BrianBoitano didn't like it. I thought it was fine if you had to go dairy free, she just didn't like that its melt properties were just off. It was like if you added hot-set gelatin (like gellan gum) to velveeta. It melted and then re-set while still hot, so it ended up like melty individual shreds?? Reminded me of the dairy free at Blaze Pizza.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
ime some vegan cheeses are just fine cold but become a little offputting when heated or melted. I'm not vegan but I do a lot of vegan cooking and always try to patronize vegan restaurants around me so I've had a lot of different vegan cheese-type things over the years and I think the best and most successful are the ones that try to figure out what cheese was going to bring to a specific dish and doing that thing rather than products which try to be a catch-all cheese substitute. For example cashew-based cream sauces for non-meat hoagies and deli sandwiches are almost always good because they can embrace the nutty flavor and the decidedly non-cheese like consistency but still fill the textural and flavor niche that melty cheese would normally serve on a cheesesteak or whatever.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I'm a vegan and every vegan cheese I've tried has been somewhere between bad and inedible. But to be fair I don't try them very often and I haven't tried any of the new fancy ones, like Violife or Miyoko's, which many people say are great. But... I'm skeptical...

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I am keeping my pickle juice. What do i do with it? Please don't say popsickles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Chug it like civilized people do