Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmwyvern
Dec 3, 2020

DM Wyvern's Lair:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJDElF5ftbahaL2nseoueeQ
... And it's not pretty.

Here is a taste of the punishment to come to this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc8OuH1UYlc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

1. why make a thread when you don't actually have an actual episode yet? is this, like, a trailer for the fact that at some point you will have stuff? that's kinda wack
2. titling every thread and video you post with "MY NAME does x" like you're trying to build a brand or something is extremely frowned upon.

i would recommend taking a look at other threads on the subforum and getting a feel for how things are done and what people enjoy! now is a great time to close these threads and learn a bit before posting any more. i bet your next attempt can be much more successful :buddy:

e: maybe just stick with your Pool of Radiance thread for now? it's got people posting, it's not a youtube dump, and it starts with a bonafide episode 1!

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

biosterous posted:

e: maybe just stick with your Pool of Radiance thread for now? it's got people posting, it's not a youtube dump, and it starts with a bonafide episode 1!

Yeah do this because at this point it really looks like you just blew est. 25$ just to pimp your channel. which looks kinda gross if you ask me. Also for the love of god, put more effort in your OP, give us some information about the game you're playing instead of this basic bitch poo poo with just your youtube thumbnail and an embeded youtube video.

Take a look at the pinned Sandcastle thread and just read it for a little bit. You'll see people workshopping threads they wanna make. Look at how they format their OPs; see how much effort they're putting in.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 5, 2020

dmwyvern
Dec 3, 2020

DM Wyvern's Lair:

biosterous posted:

1. why make a thread when you don't actually have an actual episode yet? is this, like, a trailer for the fact that at some point you will have stuff? that's kinda wack
2. titling every thread and video you post with "MY NAME does x" like you're trying to build a brand or something is extremely frowned upon.

i would recommend taking a look at other threads on the subforum and getting a feel for how things are done and what people enjoy! now is a great time to close these threads and learn a bit before posting any more. i bet your next attempt can be much more successful :buddy:

Hey biosterous!

Thanks for the feedback! Currently testing XCOM: UFO Defense behind the scenes for my upcoming LP - and this is the thread where it is going to happen. Along the way, I am running into unfortunate situations that are going to make up some of the previews for that upcoming LP - the launch video above. I get what you're saying about LP titles but it is my playthrough after all and I don't really mind titling it as such.

I do plan on spending time this weekend reading up on the pinned Sandcastle thread and seeing where I can improve. I could close these threads but I have no problem taking your suggestion and incorporating it into these threads moving forward. Plus, feedback like yours is a good reminder for me on how to present LP on these forums. I don't mind a few speedbumps along the way.

And I am not here to make everyone happy. I know that is an impossible task. :toughguy:

Thanks for the kind comments on my Pool of Radiance LP! I am enjoying it too. Just recorded the second episode and hope to post it here tomorrow, if all goes well. Hope you check it out!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

biosterous posted:

What this guy said. It is patently obvious from your regdate, the way you post, and the threads that you've made that you only joined SA to get those sweet LIKE COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBES on youtube. Goons do not and will not ever give a poo poo about your brand. If you want to actually post here, you need to show us that you actually want to be part of this community, not just a leech for your precious view numbers.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

dmwyvern posted:

I get what you're saying about LP titles but it is my playthrough after all and I don't really mind titling it as such.

everyone else is gonna mind though! seriously, you're throwing up a huge red flag that says "i don't care about this community here, and i'm not doing this because i like the games, this is all about ME ME ME ME ME ME ME please like subscribe etc"

we don't like that here! you should probably never do that :yayclod:

there's a huge difference between "i can't please everyone" and "doing this ensures that i will please no one"

biosterous fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 5, 2020

dmwyvern
Dec 3, 2020

DM Wyvern's Lair:

biosterous posted:

everyone else is gonna mind though! seriously, you're throwing up a huge red flag that says "i don't care about this community here, and i'm not doing this because i like the games, this is all about ME ME ME ME ME ME ME please like subscribe etc"

we don't like that here! you should probably never do that :yayclod:

there's a huge difference between "i can't please everyone" and "doing this ensures that i will please no one"

Hey biosterous! I appreciate you offering me well-meaning feedback. Point taken, I'll check and see if I can modify the thread titles to keep it in-line with the LP community here. :agesilaus:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hey OP this thread, as the kids would say, sucks total poo poo

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I wanted to lecture you on the spelling of X-COM and how commas work, but

Crane Fist posted:

Hey OP this thread, as the kids would say, sucks total poo poo

thankfully we have some very succinct people here to give the gist of it.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Other people have basically said this, but the Sandcastle is what you're looking for. It's explicitly there to make test posts and get feedback.

My main feedback would be, as someone else pointed out, put a bit more effort in the OP. Especially with older games like this, getting some idea of how your LP is different from others I might have seen, or even just what you're planning to do that made you decide you wanted to make this, will do a lot more to get people into this than a 2 minute teaser video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmwyvern
Dec 3, 2020

DM Wyvern's Lair:

Gothsheep posted:

Other people have basically said this, but the Sandcastle is what you're looking for. It's explicitly there to make test posts and get feedback.

My main feedback would be, as someone else pointed out, put a bit more effort in the OP. Especially with older games like this, getting some idea of how your LP is different from others I might have seen, or even just what you're planning to do that made you decide you wanted to make this, will do a lot more to get people into this than a 2 minute teaser video.

Hey Gothsheep! Thanks for the feedback. :tipshat: I took a look at the Sandcastle as you, biosterous. and Sally has suggested and now have a much better idea of what Goons are expecting in the way of quality LP. I am definitely listening and appreciate advice like yours, went ahead and changed the title of the thread as biosterous suggested for example.

I do plan to reformat the OP to be more in-line with the great LPs elsewhere in the forum. I should be able to get to it later this week and hope to kick off my X-COM: UFO Defense LP sometime next week. I am still doing some testing behind the scenes for my Ironman LP but I guess if the campaign fails, it fails - and I should just roll with it in the LP. :downs:

Hope you come back to check it out when I get it up and running!