Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i think homebrew uses travis for ci?? idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

performant is a thing dorks say all the time echi

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

also robust

and non-trivial

#justcomputertoucherthings

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gentle Autist posted:

performant is a thing dorks say all the time echi

I think i’d lose my mind if I heard that word more than once a week it would ruin a job

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
don’t performant, it sucks. performmaven instead

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the imessage bug seems to come hand in hand with a battery drain issue too

tim :argh:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

echinopsis posted:

i’ve been reading this thread lately and wanna call bullshit

on the word performant

:wrong:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

echinopsis posted:

I think i’d lose my mind if I heard that word more than once a week it would ruin a job

it’s a good word, imo although occasionally overused.

i was having a dinner with an industry pr friend on a trip to sf once and an older dude leans over from his table (because they were silent and just listening to us talk lol) and says, “if i hear the word ecosystem again, i’m going to vomit.”

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

mediaphage posted:

i was having a dinner with an industry pr friend on a trip to sf once and an older dude leans over from his table (because they were silent and just listening to us talk lol) and says, “if i hear the word ecosystem again, i’m going to vomit.”
a fun thing to do in situations where a particular word is getting too much airtime is to say it yourself but used and pronounced wrong and see what happens (e.g. you know what has a neat echosystem? these 5g cell towers)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

echinopsis posted:

i’ve been reading this thread lately and wanna call bullshit

on the word performant

performant is a noun that tech idiots started using as an adjective. its meaning is ambiguous and people using it should be ridiculed

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Management posted:

performant is a noun that tech idiots started using as an adjective. its meaning is ambiguous and people using it should be ridiculed

oxford lists it as the primary definition and considers it rare as a noun; that battle is long since lost. jargon happens in any field; language isn’t static

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mediaphage posted:

I have a techie friend who uses the word "mindshare" several times a day and honestly I just kind of want to slap him silly

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I have a techie friend who uses the word "mindshare" several times a day and honestly I just kind of want to slap him silly

lmao several times a days a bit over the top. have you just like told him to stop because he sounds dumb

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Performant isn't a word
Friday, May 11, 2007
Goofy nerd stuff
Last month I finished writing a lot of the "Performance" chapter for our ASP.NET book. I used the word performant quite a bit, and was a little surprised when the editorial review told me that performant isn't a word.

I didn't believe it, but after some checking I was forced to agree:

It's not in the dictionary: http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/performant

It's not in the Google definitions: http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3Aperformant

It's not even in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Performant

Looks like we need to let the scholars know - there are 18,300 uses of the non-word "performant" in scholarly papers: http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=performant

70 Comments
Performant is a horrible, fake word that should never be spoken again.

But then again, so is "blog".
Jeff Atwood - Friday, May 11, 2007 12:53:29 AM

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

echinopsis posted:

Performant isn't a word
Friday, May 11, 2007
Goofy nerd stuff
Last month I finished writing a lot of the "Performance" chapter for our ASP.NET book. I used the word performant quite a bit, and was a little surprised when the editorial review told me that performant isn't a word.

I didn't believe it, but after some checking I was forced to agree:

It's not in the dictionary: http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/performant

It's not in the Google definitions: http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3Aperformant

It's not even in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Performant

Looks like we need to let the scholars know - there are 18,300 uses of the non-word "performant" in scholarly papers: http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=performant

70 Comments
Performant is a horrible, fake word that should never be spoken again.

But then again, so is "blog".
Jeff Atwood - Friday, May 11, 2007 12:53:29 AM

update ur posts atwood

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mediaphage posted:

update ur posts atwood

truly a dark future we inhabit

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
performant is comprised of many meanings

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Carthag Tuek posted:

i think homebrew uses travis for ci?? idk

IDK either but they specifically said they don't have CI set up for building M1 binaries yet.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
its fine

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The word performant is needs suiting

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
performant ain't a word cause performant ain't in the dictionary

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i tried out scribble today on my ipad. its pretty good until you need to insert a word or merge the cursor where it immediately becomes garbage

so similar to the normal keyboard experience

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
performant ain't cromulent

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mediaphage posted:

lmao several times a days a bit over the top. have you just like told him to stop because he sounds dumb

they better be in their late fifties because that sounds like 90s jargon to me

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
countdown timers have stopped alerting me when they finish. love ios updates

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Amethyst posted:

For the last year or so I've had tons of issues where snoozing an alarm turns the noise off immediately but the snooze timer doesn't actually start counting down until you do something to turn the iPhone display on. Great job abble

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

toiletbrush posted:

For the last year or so I've had tons of issues where snoozing an alarm turns the noise off immediately but the snooze timer doesn't actually start counting down until you do something to turn the iPhone display on. Great job abble

apple's ability to gently caress up simple timers and alarms is why i still have a dedicated alarm clock

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

oh boy I love poo poo and piss!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Ive never had trouble using my appole as an alarm clock

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Amethyst posted:

timb says you didn't actually need that countdown timer

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i wonder if "my alarm didn't go off, i'm filing the radar" is a valid excuse for being late at apple

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hobbesmaster posted:

i wonder if "my alarm didn't go off, i'm filing the radar" is a valid excuse for being late at apple

what’s the radar number?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
if my iphone alarm goes off, I can hit either of the volume buttons to snooze. unfortunately, the alarm notification banner stays on the top of the screen. if I hit the home button for any reason while the banner is up, it clears the snooze and cancels the alarm. if I want to use the home button, I have to swipe to clear the banner first. after that, home button won’t clear the alarm.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

when my android phone alarm goes off i just drum my fingers all over the screen and that always hits the button

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the iOS alarm screen UI is inexplicable

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Tim naturally wakes to the sound of the stock exchange opening bell

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tim cook wakes at 4 to hit the gym and orgy with the village people each day

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

really fills those rings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
finally got round to testing real-world m1 performance building a substantial java project, comparing an m1 mba to a brand new 13” ice lake mbp.

build times:
80s - mba rosetta
40s - mbp
20s - mba aarch64

so yeah … rosetta isn’t magic, but native arm is literally twice as fast for the workloads i care about. in a computer that’s almost half the price, lighter, silent, more stamina, not infected with touchbar.

literally the only reason to buy a current-gen intel 13” mbp is if you have more than two things to plug in at once and you really hate dongles. and if you hate dongles that much then maybe apple products are not for you