Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And rank all the flavors. Super Fast Wide Deep Ultra Magnum Jeroboam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assorted Gubbins
Oct 28, 2017

GreenNight posted:

Eh just ask what does SCSI stand for if you're going to ask for useless knowledge.

Small Computer Set Interface.

Is what my brain says, firing ancient neurons that last had electricity through them in 1998.

I'm not going to look it up to see if I'm right because who gives a poo poo at this point, yeah SAS is SCSI over SATA but unless you work at a SAN manufacturer (or are that increasingly endangered animal known as a storage admin) you will never need to deal with SCSI in the modern world, aside from the very minor case of knowing you can only put 14 devices on a VM's virtual SCSI controller before you need to add another one.

edit: I succumbed to curiosity and looked it up, I'm wrong on one word but I literally could not care less.

Assorted Gubbins fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 6, 2020

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Assorted Gubbins posted:

Is what my brain says, firing ancient neurons that last had electricity through them in 1998.

I'm not going to look it up to see if I'm right because who gives a poo poo at this point, yeah SAS is SCSI over SATA but unless you work at a SAN manufacturer (or are that increasingly endangered animal known as a storage admin) you will never need to deal with SCSI in the modern world, aside from the very minor case of knowing you can only put 14 devices on a VM's virtual SCSI controller before you need to add another one.

edit: I succumbed to curiosity and looked it up, I'm wrong on one word but I literally could not care less.

I was gonna correct you, but I see my work is done :eng101:

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Assorted Gubbins posted:

That first part is such a misnomer. When have the computers that SCSI is on ever been small? :colbert:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Depends what you compare them to.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
For reasons I don't care about my old Seagate Barracuda SATA drive reports as SCSI to Windows.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Xbox counts as a microcomputer and it is hueg

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

GreenNight posted:

Eh just ask what does SCSI stand for if you're going to ask for useless knowledge.

wait i know this

it's the name of foone's cat

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1333293332303282181

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

Makes perfect sense, but basing someone's hireability on their ability to memorize stuff that actively makes your brain not memorize stuff anymore is kinda poo poo, don't you think?
yes

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arquinsiel posted:

For reasons I don't care about my old Seagate Barracuda SATA drive reports as SCSI to Windows.

It's because Seagate drives are utter garbage. I've never had one that's lived longer than maybe a year or two with regular use.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's because Seagate drives are utter garbage. I've never had one that's lived longer than maybe a year or two with regular use.

Bad luck for you so. This one was bought in 2010 and has been where games are stored since then.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Please, let's not have this discussion (again) :v:

The Backblaze numbers put most of these discussions to bed anyway.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Arquinsiel posted:

I've seen that happen with myself TBH. I used to know the D&D 3.X rules by heart. Anything in the three core books I could tell you with a few second's thought. Now I'm lucky if I can remember how basic combat works in a much simpler game.

The half-orc is the only playable race that can be a fighter/assassin in AD&D.

But I have no idea how saving throws work in 5E. For some reason 5E breaks my brain in places.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

5E is so much simpler that it doesn't really make sense to me, although that may be not having actually played it yet. I went into building a character going all "Oh, I want to try this build" and then that mechanic doesn't exist anymore. "This build?" mechanic also doesn't exist.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Agrikk posted:

The half-orc is the only playable race that can be a fighter/assassin in AD&D.

But I have no idea how saving throws work in 5E. For some reason 5E breaks my brain in places.

5e is way easier and more fun to play than any D&D. Combat wise anyway.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I just started playing 5e on roll20 with some friends

It’s pretty enjoyable, use the character generator, click button to roll die, dm tells me what to do

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

spankmeister posted:

5e is way easier and more fun to play than any D&D. Combat wise anyway.

Saving throws aside, I agree with you.

I think it was 3E where you got an extra attack every +5 you had, so combat at high levels got stupid when you had +37 to hit.

And god help us with THAC0.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
5e is much simpler but there are a lot of stumbling blocks you run into when you come from 4e due to the way things work, that it's probably easier to transition from 3.5 to 5 than 4 to 5.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Agrikk posted:

I think it was 3E where you got an extra attack every +5 you had, so combat at high levels got stupid when you had +37 to hit.

I dunno about based on your +s, but a buddy of mine roll a 2nd ed players option character that got 15 hits per round at +20/+20 before he got any magic gear.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

What was dumb about the descending bonus system is that in this example you swung at +39, then +34, then +31 all the way down, even though you were fighting a dude with 50 AC meaning that only the first two attacks had any meaningful chance to hit and the next seven were basically hoping for a nat20.

It gummed up the game big time.

But the D&D thread is that way and I’ll stop now.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

5e is much simpler but there are a lot of stumbling blocks you run into when you come from 4e due to the way things work, that it's probably easier to transition from 3.5 to 5 than 4 to 5.
5e is definitely way more in the vein of 3/3.5 than it is 4e.

RFC2324 posted:

I dunno about based on your +s, but a buddy of mine roll a 2nd ed players option character that got 15 hits per round at +20/+20 before he got any magic gear.

Players Option poo poo doesn't count. That was D&D fanfic.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Agrikk posted:

Sorta. You got an extra attack for every +5 you had in your base attack bonus, at +6, +11, and +16. You'd only ever get up to four attacks from that.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

woof

got to explain the concept of botnetting to an old lady who we had to inform had her IP blocked by Sony and that she should probably find someone there to clean her computer

which felt bad but i'm not gonna teach an old lady how to reinstall windows lol

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

PirateDentist posted:

That first part is such a misnomer. When have the computers that SCSI is on ever been small? :colbert:

Late to the party, but Macs until the late ‘90s.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Thanatosian posted:

Players Option poo poo doesn't count. That was D&D fanfic.

Oh come on, Players option, Combat and Tactics, had the best crit tables at the end...

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

PirateDentist posted:

Tons of the SPARCstation line was quite small, but notably the IPX/IPC.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Darchangel posted:

Late to the party, but Macs until the late ‘90s.

Especially the powerbooks!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I had bad experiences with powerbooks. I tried buying one online and the rear end in a top hat sent me a three-ring binder.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I had bad experiences with powerbooks. I tried buying one online and the rear end in a top hat sent me a three-ring binder.

:golfclap:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Sheep posted:

Tons of the SPARCstation line was quite small, but notably the IPX/IPC.

I grabbed one of these when it was being thrown away 7 or 8 years ago at work, been sitting in my basement ever since. Just need the right project to put inside of it.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I had a whole stack of IPXes, an IPC, an LX, and a few SPARCstation 1/2s. Utterly useless even back then (mid-2000s) because of how slow they are, but cool nonetheless. You could maybe fit a miniITX board in one with some creativity?

Edit: forgot I also had one of those SPARC laptops, Brite Lite or something like that? I bought a lot of computer stuff at state surplus auctions in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 7, 2020

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

IPXes were useful for Xkernel for a little while, but by the late 90s they weren't even toys.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

shortspecialbus posted:

Edit: A question along the lines of "Explain at a high level how DNS works and the difference between an A record and a CNAME", maybe a bit less hand-holdy, is a good question that will weed out incapable people.

this is a great question that I will be stealing in... two hours or so

What are some of y'all's favourite sysadmin generalist questions to ask? I really like "explain how the internet works". Gives them an opportunity to go up and down the OSI model, or dip in and out of areas where they're most comfortable.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
“Tell me about a time you caused an outage, what was the impact to the business, what was the recovery like, and what did you learn from it?”

If they haven’t caused an outage, they are either lying or haven’t had enough access to create one. how they answer this can reveal a great deal.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

What are some of y'all's favourite sysadmin generalist questions to ask? I really like "explain how the internet works". Gives them an opportunity to go up and down the OSI model, or dip in and out of areas where they're most comfortable.

I got the “Tell me what happens when you go to a website” question in an interview this summer and I liked it.

Gives the interview a chance to touch on a lot of different technologies, how they work together, and deep dive on parts they’re most familiar with.

Might be useful to ask pointed questions along the way if you want to get information about specific areas, but as an interviewee I liked the open ended question giving me an opportunity to talk about skills that I wanted to showcase.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

The Iron Rose posted:

In the same vein, I ask them how applications work. Explain API's to me. Tell me in your words the value prop of cloud platforms. Explain how the internet works is a good one.

The best interviews turn into a back-and-forth on these topics. You can get a feel for someone's attitude towards ambiguity in the way they either just dive in or seek to pare down the topic. The best of the best are where the interviewee teaches me something I didn't know. Honestly you can weed people who don't know what they're talking about out fast with the generalized questions. I prioritize people who are smart and understand IT conceptually over people who have specific knowledge though, not sure everyone is looking for that necessarily.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A fun question I got once was "Is there any reason the company should consider buying some bitcoin?", but there was a very specific answer being looked for there.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Arquinsiel posted:

A fun question I got once was "Is there any reason the company should consider buying some bitcoin?", but there was a very specific answer being looked for there.

"So they have the random ready when I manage to get the whole network crypto'd"?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

BallerBallerDillz posted:

"So they have the random ready when I manage to get the whole network crypto'd"?

Like someone who pre-buys crypto currency for this situation would put the wallet anywhere other than a share that gets hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thomamelas posted:

Like someone who pre-buys crypto currency for this situation would put the wallet anywhere other than a share that gets hit.

:vince: