Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The “massacre” was left as vague as possible and the Armorer herself had reason to believe at least some of the covert survived. So really, they’re MIA until the plot demands it. I would not be surprised at all to at least see The Armorer and Chonky Favreau show up again.

Is Chonky Favreau the big Gatling Gun guy? Because he's definitely gonna be back. He had such a memorable (and marketable) design and the fact he didn't get along with Din is so easy to make stories for. "Fights Mando because he blames him for the Coverts Destruction" "Teams up with Din to save captured members old Covert but they constantly bicker" "Has abandoned the creed and must be brought to Justice by Din" ""Saves Din because the Creed demands it even though he hates Din." You can go anywhere with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

jivjov posted:

TFA came before Rogue One - i'm going off introduction of the character, not the Sudden Reveal of the drug running thing.

There is no loving way Abrams had thought of that idea until he reached that scene in the ROS writing process. He didn't even have an answer for who Snoke and Rey were when he wrote TFA.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was on Cals side because he called himself trash.

Much like myself

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

chitoryu12 posted:

There is no loving way Abrams had thought of that idea until he reached that scene in the ROS writing process. He didn't even have an answer for who Snoke and Rey were when he wrote TFA.

Yes. I know. That's what I'm saying. The first lead latinx character in a star wars film, Poe, introduced in TFA, was post-facto deemed to be a drug dealer. This happened in TRoS.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

jivjov posted:

Yes. I know. That's what I'm saying. The first lead latinx character in a star wars film, Poe, introduced in TFA, was post-facto deemed to be a drug dealer. This happened in TRoS.

Powerful Jimmy Smitts erasure going on here.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
sorry, phone posting and I omitted "lead". Fixing now

E: no, i didn't omit lead - its there in my post. Love jimmy smitts as Bail, but he's supporting

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I never even thought all the other guys from that covert were dead.

I assumed they, as a group, went "gently caress this" and threw their armor in a pile, so they could melt away with their lives. Basically they all gave up.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ruddiger posted:

Powerful Jimmy Smitts erasure going on here.

Him turning up in Rogue One was great because it's more Jimmy Smitts in Star Wars, and loving awful because I was like "Oh poo poo, you're gonna be dead in like an hour" when I realized he was heading back to Alderaan.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 6, 2020

Dan
Nov 26, 2002

Victim of reality

Open Source Idiom posted:

Exactly. You could have changed Cal's gender, or his race, or her sexuality (which, LOL, the day we get a gay male protagonist in a triple A game is decades away) and kept everything the same, and the character would still be a void.

I don't even think it's fair to say that Cal was overly vanilla, his post-purge PTSD is something pretty unvisited in Star Wars film/tv. Obviously it's primary purpose was to drive the vania gameplay mechanics of gradually regaining his abilities, but it was a big part of his character, contrasting Cere who instead buckled and started dark-siding. I enjoyed that exploration of mental health versus force sensitivity.

IMO, it was entirely appropriate that the game left out any kind of romantic engagement because it was all about introspection, but since he was pretty much jedi Ian Gallagher, I figure it's a safer bet to assume he's gay than not.

As for whether he should show up in Mandalorian, I'm of two minds. On one hand, I would like to see Disney validate the position of games in the lore with appearances of some of the characters. Conversely, I think it was lovely that Ventress got killed in a book, so it would suck if events in a TV show complicated any of the game's characters and made it harder to develop future games around them.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I think this show mixed up Jango Fett and Boba Fett

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I feel like Cal is kind of unlikely, just because at the time this season was scripted they had no idea how that game was going to be received or sell

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sash! posted:

I never even thought all the other guys from that covert were dead.

I assumed they, as a group, went "gently caress this" and threw their armor in a pile, so they could melt away with their lives. Basically they all gave up.

But they were in the hardcore ARMOR ALWAYS ON cult. So why would they willingly toss away their armor?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

UmOk posted:

I think this show mixed up Jango Fett and Boba Fett

Well they are the same guy so

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

jivjov posted:

Right but I think what he and I were saying is that it’s not like Poe was the first Latinx lead in Star Wars and they made him a drug runner. More like, he was one of two cool and strong Latinx main characters (I intentionally left out Bail since you did say “lead” in your original post), then later they retconned one of them to have been a scoundrel in the past.

It’s a pedantic but important distinction, because it’s not like they immediately went “hey let’s make this first Latino character have a shady past.” Cassian came along and kicked rear end well before Abrams probably even cooked up that pointless backstory for Poe.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yes, but the first Latinx lead in Star Wars is revealed to be a drug runner. That still happened.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
I hope they don't lean too much on the rebels or fallen order characters. I think they've done a good job writing new characters and it would be disappointing if they just reuse characters from the kids tv show most people haven't seen.

The clone wars/rebels shows are kind of meh. I enjoy call backs to the lore but I think it's best if they keep those characters to small cameos and focus on the new characters.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

jivjov posted:

Yes, but the first Latinx lead in Star Wars is revealed to be a drug runner. That still happened.

So is Han Solo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CelticPredator posted:

So is Han Solo.

Since when is Han Solo played by a lainex actor?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
At some point I'd like to see what the breakdown in exactly which ideas in Rise of Skywalker were JJ Abrams' and which were Chris Terrio's. Because making Poe a drug dealer kind of feels like it was a Chris Terrio thing. To the point where I have begun to wonder how the gently caress this was the same guy who wrote the script to Argo.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I’ll be pretty surprised if Cal comes up in any real way, mainly because his back story is way less accessible than the cartoon characters. Anyone can watch a cartoon, but playing a video game is a much bigger ask. “Want to learn about Cal and suck at video games? Uh, check out Let’s Play videos on YouTube, I guess?” I just don’t see it happening.

I like Fallen Order. But it’s not like my parents are gonna go play it. But they’re watching Rebels now, and have watched a handful of Clone Wars episodes to learn some about Ahsoka.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They call him the Manladorian, because he's a man with a lad

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Grogu is going to go to Luke's first Jedi Academy until it shuts down after Luke successfully kills Han and Leia's first son, Bail Solo, in his sleep.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And when he takes the helmet off, he kinda looks like he's a "Dorian".

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Grogu is going to go to Luke's first Jedi Academy until it shuts down after Luke successfully kills Han and Leia's first son, Bail Solo, in his sleep.

I like to think that the night Luke almost killed Ben was the same night he got dumped by Mara and he just did NOT take it well at all...

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Later this season the Man will travel through time, like a Delorian

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Still find it dumb that Kanan and Hera's kid just has green hair and big ears to show he's a cross species kid between Twilek and human. The two kids that Cut Lawquane looked after when he married Suu were human/twilek hybrids and they still had lekku.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ghost Leviathan posted:

and his name is Rian

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Isometric Bacon posted:

I don't think Cal was uninteresting because 'boring white guy protagonist' - I took it's more that he's a videogame character that is deliberately not imbued with a lot of personality so the player can self insert. Pretty much the same could be said for Kyle Katarn and the like in their respective games.

... he's a stuttering, eye contact avoiding, hunch shouldered manlet with an underbite

How the gently caress are you guys seeing Sheplo, lol. He's got lots of personality, he's just a goober, the sort that gets ignored their whole life

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

and his name is Rian

The Man, Lad... or Ian.

Oh poo poo

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I just caught up and holy poo poo

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Just saw the episode I mean holy poo poo it was so much fun.

Star War's is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Hazo posted:

Hey a big gently caress you to whoever said Kanan and Hera were a reimagined Kyle and Jan because now I can't unsee it AND it makes me think there's less of a chance Kyle will show up to kick dark trooper rear end.

If the Moldy Crow roars in out of nowhere I would absolutely lose my poo poo. That's probably down the line a ways, though, because there's only two eps left and we need to get BaeYo back and there's been zero rumors of a male guest casting.

It was me!

Also the Raven's Claw is a better ship.

The theme at the end with Gideon walking down the corridor to baeyo was just straight up Homeworld music.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

CelticPredator posted:

and his name is Rian

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

gently caress yeah

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just put Benoit Blanc into a Star Wars movie and don't explain anything, he's just there and solving a crime involving a bunch of eccentric Imperial or Republic assholes or something.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
EDIT: On second thought that's not the kind of thing that I want with my name next to it even with context.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

EDIT: On second thought that's not the kind of thing that I want with my name next to it even with context.

was this another page of that Ahsoka comic or what

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Just put Benoit Blanc into a Star Wars movie and don't explain anything, he's just there and solving a crime involving a bunch of eccentric Imperial or Republic assholes or something.

lmao I would watch the poo poo out of that

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Edit wow wrong thread

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 6, 2020

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

was this another page of that Ahsoka comic or what

Jesus no, I'm not a monster.

It was a poorly worded Knives Out reference.

I'm actually watching it right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

If you want to bring back Luke or Han, couldn't you first have an end season teaser with a low-res hologram CG model with their voice, and see what the audience response is, and then move from there in the new season?