Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Got my Essential Fellini boxset. Going by the size of the box, they printed the movies on vinyl. Looks absolutely stunning, and I didn't even open it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Love the only copy of a movie by a prominent director to be a letterboxed dvd

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
But enough about Chocolat by Claire Denis, am I right?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
With all the angst about Let It Be you'd think the poo poo in it was somehow explosive but it's basically on the level of "slightly annoyed with your co-worker"

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

RichterIX posted:

With all the angst about Let It Be you'd think the poo poo in it was somehow explosive but it's basically on the level of "slightly annoyed with your co-worker"

Artists are drama queens in my history with them. Ranging from low paid to high paid ones. Lord love em, but drat do they know how to turn something little into something big.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

RichterIX posted:

Yeah the movie's reputation is so sensationalized that the film itself has become a sort of urban legend. The fact that it was only briefly made available on home video and decades ago just fuels that whole fire. I remember being seriously underwhelmed by anything that wasn't them singing it when I first saw the movie.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

RichterIX posted:

Yeah but as proven by that Ron Howard helmed doco a few years back they're just interested in preserving any mythology of the band rather than shedding light nowadays

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I finally got around to watching the Top Gun UHD I've had sitting on my shelf. It looks good and all, but goddamn, Iron Eagle is a much better movie.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I, Butthole posted:

Yeah but as proven by that Ron Howard helmed doco a few years back they're just interested in preserving any mythology of the band rather than shedding light nowadays

Fell asleep trying to watch that documentary. Boring as hell.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

I finally got around to watching the Top Gun UHD I've had sitting on my shelf. It looks good and all, but goddamn, Iron Eagle is a much better movie.

Val Kilmer playing volleyball - how glistening was he in 4K?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

Paul McCartney on at least one occasion referred to the Beatles Anthology miniseries as "The Beatles Mythology" incidentally. Anyway the two disc blu-ray set The Beatles 1+ has all the best poo poo from Let It Be as well as all the music videos and numerous tv appearances. It's an essential item if you're a fan.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

I, Butthole posted:

The bit where they were trying to take some credit for ending segregation was painful, even if them refusing to play to segregated audiences was a good use of their status.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Shiroc posted:

The bit where they were trying to take some credit for ending segregation was painful, even if them refusing to play to segregated audiences was a good use of their status.

Jesus Christ. So that's a-okay but the movie where they're tired and one of them gets kinda pissy for about three seconds is too lurid and will make them look like monsters.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The LOTR Steelbooks Best Buy "lost" and refunded me for are at my local post office lmao

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Tim Whatley posted:

The LOTR Steelbooks Best Buy "lost" and refunded me for are at my local post office lmao
You.... win?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Tim Whatley posted:

So now you have 2 copies of the steel books for the price of one? Nice!

I was a bit surprised by that outcome originally. Usually BBY is p good about labels, etc.

They’ve got WestWorld S3 4K for cheap this week. Not a great season but I enjoy it enough that I’ll spend $20 on it.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Can I ask an amateurish question? I just recently got a 4K tv and have been watching some 4K discs on it such as Harry Potter, the later Star Wars movies, and the matrix. I’ve noticed they’re all very heavy with film grain. It’s way more noticeable than it was when I was on 1080p watching standard blu rays.

I know a good transfer entails keeping film grain natural and intact because obfuscating it often results in a loss of detail and dilutes the intended presentation.

Is it natural to be noticing heavy film grain so much more in 4K? Is that just the nature of getting a more true to the source transfer? I have all the noise reduction and motion smoothing bullshit on my set turned off. I’m just wondering if this is good and correct. Even toggling it on it doesn’t seem to make any difference in the presence of film grain.

I guess I just wasn’t expecting to notice it so much. I would’ve thought the increase in fidelity would’ve made it less apparent if anything. I’m totally fine with it, just as long as that’s actually how it’s supposed to look.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Tim Whatley posted:

if you want to get rid of that extra copy... ;)

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

man nurse posted:

Can I ask an amateurish question? I just recently got a 4K tv and have been watching some 4K discs on it such as Harry Potter, the later Star Wars movies, and the matrix. I’ve noticed they’re all very heavy with film grain.

If you mean Star Wars 2-3 then they should have no grain at all.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

man nurse posted:

I guess I just wasn’t expecting to notice it so much. I would’ve thought the increase in fidelity would’ve made it less apparent if anything. I’m totally fine with it, just as long as that’s actually how it’s supposed to look.

Generally speaking grain is more apparent in UHD releases, that's true. A lot of the reason for it is that blu rays went too far with the DNR stuff, and with UHDs they realized that collectors preferred a more genuine experience even if that meant more grain.

That said, every release is different, and of course not every film was shot under the same conditions with the same equipment. So there will be some films that are just naturally more grainy than others. A great example is Ghostbusters, it's just a very dark and grainy film overall. But throw in the UHD for Ghostbusters 2 and you'll notice a pretty big difference, all of the sudden the film is more crisp and the grain is much finer and less noticeable. I believe it was Egbert Souse who explained that the difference is simply in the film stock that was used. In those 5 years between 1984 and 1989, new film stock became prevalent and it looks better on UHD as a result(imo).

Another thing I think is worth pointing out is that there is such a thing as sitting too close to the screen. Your set-up may not be easily changed, but it's possible that sitting an extra foot or two away from the screen might give you more of the benefits of the natural grain without having that noticeable "swarm" effect when the grain becomes uneven.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Steen71 posted:

If you mean Star Wars 2-3 then they should have no grain at all.

Nah I was talking about the sequel trilogy.

It’s true that I am quite close to my TV in my current setup, which is a 65” to boot. Anyway, I guess I was just surprised to notice it as much as I have, especially with more modern releases.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Fine, consistent, but noticeable grain is something I've grown to really love, but it may take some time for you to re-adjust after years of watching regular blu rays.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The effects used in the movie can change this too. Any dark scenes in The Matrix have very noticeable RGB color speckles, but the Real World scenes do not. I figured it has something to do with the green tint; not sure if they did that digitally in 1999 or if it’s some analogue magic. It could even intentionally use different film stock for all I know.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Speaking of The Matrix, I was flipping between the 5.1 and Atmos tracks and the difference is very noticeable - Atmos is much more bass-heavy and some of the surround effects have a sharp clarity that is pretty cool.

But turning the Dolby Vision on and off on my player didn't seem to make much difference. With DV off, the picture seems a tiny bit brighter is the most I can say.

It's a 75" Samsung, so I thought I might notice right away, but instead I was kinda scratching my head as to what DV is bringing to the table.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I thought Samsung TVs don't support Dolby Vision.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Origami Dali posted:

I thought Samsung TVs don't support Dolby Vision.
That would do it! Someone in the reviews for the TV said "They went with HDR10 rather than Dolby Vision" so I guess I can just leave the option turned off on the player. :D

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

fenix down posted:

That would do it! Someone in the reviews for the TV said "They went with HDR10 rather than Dolby Vision" so I guess I can just leave the option turned off on the player. :D

It's not that big a deal. I feel like DV gives you a little extra color depth but I can't say I'd definitely be able to tell the difference in a blind test. I've noticed over time that a lot of my favorite UHDs have Dolby Vision, so I've kinda concluded in that way that it does make at least a little bit of a difference but HDR is really the key thing. That's the game changing upgrade of this format.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Dolby Vision is just per-scene metadata that adjusts contrast and levels. Without the metadata, it's the exact same as HDR10.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

david_a posted:

The effects used in the movie can change this too. Any dark scenes in The Matrix have very noticeable RGB color speckles, but the Real World scenes do not. I figured it has something to do with the green tint; not sure if they did that digitally in 1999 or if it’s some analogue magic. It could even intentionally use different film stock for all I know.

I forget how exactly, but Bill Pope basically had them print the Matrix scenes without the blue color record (I'm guessing a combination of filtering and color grading) as if they were working with 2-strip Technicolor. This apparently didn't translate well to DVD and the later remastered DVD and Blu-ray used a more digital approach while the 4K remaster attempts to re-create the look of 1999 prints.

(Also, some useless trivia: the Wachowskis hired Pope to shoot their first film Bound because they're big fans of Army of Darkness)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

For my own knowledge, what does “reference quality” mean?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

For my own knowledge, what does “reference quality” mean?

It's just means the kind of thing you'd put on if you had a friend over and they wanted to see an example of a great UHD/blu ray/whatever. Something to show off the best of what the format can do.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

Basebf555 posted:

It's just means the kind of thing you'd put on if you had a friend over and they wanted to see an example of a great UHD/blu ray/whatever. Something to show off the best of what the format can do.

Is Speed Racer still considered THE blu ray to show off? What’s the 4K equivalent? I know there’s a lot of love for The Shining and 2001 here, but are there better standouts?

mem
Sep 1, 2005
If I was trying to impress someone, I would put in Lawrence of Arabia. It really is something.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Tammy and the T-Rex or GTFO.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Basebf555 posted:

Generally speaking grain is more apparent in UHD releases, that's true.
Someone (Eggbert?) also mentioned that the film prints were a gen or so removed from the camera negatives so UHDs tend to master the grain a bit too sharp for what would have been projected in cinemas.

I forgot what film I was watching (may have been Inception) where I stopped and thought about all the "quirks" of projected films (cig burns, sharp cuts, grain) that had suddenly disappeared, and how the movie-going experience was a lot more pristine but sometimes kind of, too perfect.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I’m considerably high and just popped in the new Collateral 4K. It’s been awhile since I’ve watched this.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

yoohoo posted:

Is Speed Racer still considered THE blu ray to show off? What’s the 4K equivalent? I know there’s a lot of love for The Shining and 2001 here, but are there better standouts?

Fury Road and Pacific Rim are pretty wild, especially on an OLED

Oh, and The Revenant for sure

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Tammy and the T-Rex or GTFO.
VS saying it can take possibly weeks for orders to ship is killin' me. I need my Terry Kiser fix.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

https://twitter.com/BradFHenderson/status/1336161490617905159

It is now time to flood VS with requests for The Dark Backward in 4K. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine going to someone’s house and they pop in Speed Racer to wow you