Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

bus hustler posted:

Does anyone actually find driving from place to place in an open world game fun?

I dont mean people who beat the game then get into that as their "endgame" groove because I totally get driving games, Truck Simulator, etc. but... the like 3 minute annoying forced motorcycle scene, I could honestly do with a jump cut and not feel like I was pulled from the immersion I guess.

For a long time I didn't use the Fast Travel option in Need for Speed Payback just because it was so much chiller to not worry about actually having to race, but still having a goal (i.e. the place you actually want to get to), and you do end up seeing a lot more of the world (provided that the world is actually interesting).

I think this was also a thing with that guy who deliberately played Anthem without flying except when absolutely necessary - there was a ton of "hidden" content that just gets skipped over entirely because flying was added in so late into the cycle that a lot of the environments had already been built without it in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Paul MaudDib posted:

I’ve always felt an ASIC was inevitable eventually but it seems like the smart time to do that would have been in 2018 when they introduced the Ultimate module. Especially when it ended up needing a loving fan to cool it. An asic with sufficient volume could have gotten costs under control, after all a normal monitor controller is just an ASIC too at the end of the day, but with the emergence of good certified GSync Compatible Implementations I guess it doesn’t really matter whether the chip comes from nvidia themselves or is just certified by them.)

One possibility is that there's enough panel-to-panel implementation differences that a single "GSync chip" wouldn't be viable, and they'd have to make minorly different ASICs for each panel, which might have entirely eliminated the cost savings of doing volume ASIC vs FPGA. Or maybe they just read the writing on the wall and figures that the technical merits of true GSync weren't going to win out over the lower cost GSync Compatible models and semi-abandoned it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

bus hustler posted:

Does anyone actually find driving from place to place in an open world game fun?

I dont mean people who beat the game then get into that as their "endgame" groove because I totally get driving games, Truck Simulator, etc. but... the like 3 minute annoying forced motorcycle scene, I could honestly do with a jump cut and not feel like I was pulled from the immersion I guess.

I'll use fast travel throughout the first play through but if the game really catches my eye with its world and rewards exploration then I'll usually do a "no fast travel" play through where I just pick up the game, ride and do only a couple of things, then call it a day. I did this with both Breath of the Wild and, most recently, Ghost of Tsushima and it's a very relaxing time where you're just enjoying the world presented to you more than actually trying to complete the game.

EDIT: lol i probably should have read the immediate sentence after the question!

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Communist Thoughts posted:

whats wrong with this clip? the others are funny but i dont see the issue here other than the road is very sparse

he also doesnt go flying when he hits the car on the bike but thats the same with every lazy GTA clone

I mean, the rear ended cars just ramp over the player car clipping through the model. Very immersive. This game is going to be glorious. :allears:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If only there was a whimsical way to refer to this game as being a grossly overadvertised yet ultimately substandard product, perhaps drawing attention to its lengthy development time, by using its very namesake against it!

CredulousAtBest
Oct 4, 2020
My name is CredulousAtBest. Glenn Greenwald constantly owning me has resulted in my prodromal schizophrenia, so please be polite when you deal with psychotic breaks and kindly nod to my unintelligible tripe.

bus hustler posted:

I remember jumping on a motorbike in vice city and just like....driving around

bikes in that game felt fuckin fantastic, and the soundtrack owned. pretty sure nothing else managed it since

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Scarecow posted:

No im talking about system memory and the latency issues that ryzen has, the meme of 3200mhz ram being good enough needs to die already.

Hes running a 3700x/3200mhz with a 3080, his mate is running a 5600x and 4000mhz ram will will have lower latency and higher ipc then him

Its not about VRAM

For real. Practically all of my stuttering issues in AC Valhalla disappeared when I finally figured out how to make my RAM's 3600mhz XMP profile work. Night and day.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
I ger where everyone is coming from but you shouldn't need to buy expensive RAM just for CoD Warzone?? AC Valhalla is so lovely its almost the exception that proves the rule.

There are thousands of posts dating back all of 2020 saying "my hardware should crank at warzone and doesnt" "oh this fixed it"

I just don't buy that everyone with a 3700x or worse AND 3200 MHz ram and slower has this issue. My friend plays on a zen1 1700 and doesn't complain about this, though she is looking at bumping the CPU. The game didnt run amazingly when I tried it but this is a major release that's incredibly popular, I don't think there are only 5-6 CPUs on the market that will run it super well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I have a 2700x and changing the XMP profile on my RAM was what ultimately fixed the crashing issues I experienced in AC Valhalla, but I think that probably has more to do with the PC port being a horrible piece of crap.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

bus hustler posted:

Just replace all of the open-world driving sections in games like these with Burnout Paradise missions, problem solved

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
I wouldn't so casually connect the issues though, they're totally different games.

CoD Warzone's recommended specs (even if you call them underpowered, this isnt MINIMUM) are

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K or AMD Ryzen R5 1600X processor

"Buy a 5600x and 3600 or 4000 MHz RAM" is a potential solution, but i think being kind, it's nowhere near what I'd tell someone to start with - to the point of getting angry with someone for suggesting "hey at least try this 10 second INI fix" because they're too stupid to know what they're talking about. maybe its true, we're all dumbasses much of the time, i dunno.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

bus hustler posted:

In only 1 game, specifically. GTA San Andreas.
That game could put a destination on the opposite corner of the map and I would love it.

In RDR2 I sometimes enjoy just putting the horse in auto mode, too. Constantly being aware of enemies and opportunities while traveling is a big part of that game though.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 6, 2020

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

bus hustler posted:

I ger where everyone is coming from but you shouldn't need to buy expensive RAM just for CoD Warzone?? AC Valhalla is so lovely its almost the exception that proves the rule.

I mean it doesn't have to be expensive RAM, you could go for the cheapo (but still fast) OLOy ram that I did, just know that there's probably gonna be some weirdness in setting it up

Still don't really know why simply setting a XMP profile resulted in a no-boot scenario, but setting a XMP profile while also manually downclocking to a lower frequency then slowly inching it back up to the rated speed in 200mhz increments fixed things :shrug:

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 6, 2020

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??

Pivo posted:

More like it over-allocates VRAM by default and this is a known issue which is why Cold War has a 'VRAM Usage Target' in the Graphics menu and turning it down helps 3080 owners. Not because 10GB isn't enough for 1440p, because devs are dumb and alloc a ratio like they're on a console rather than according to their needs.

C:\Users\\Documents\Call of Duty Modern Warfare\players\adv_options.ini

Change VideoMemoryScale = 0.85 to VideoMemoryScale = 0.65

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried this out and it didn't work unfortunately. Still sitting at the same frames.

Scarecow posted:

Warzone is super memory dependent so alas there's not much more you can do about frames running a 3700x and 3200mhz ram

Try and get your latency of your ram as low as you can get it, what's the CL and timing of your current set?

So my RAM is CL16 and the timing is 16-18-18-38. I was hearing that 3200mhz RAM wasn't a very good match for Ryzen as well which I had no idea about.

I'm probably just going to go buy some 3600mhz RAM and see if that fixes things. If not, I'll just return it.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

bus hustler posted:

If I was Chris Roberts I would ban your entire family from the internet for such a non-sensical question about important immersion features in a game, like excessively long driving and travel times.

Also I would follow-up by offering you some top-shelf jpg's of my game's vehicles...and then succeed in selling them to you.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infinite99 posted:

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried this out and it didn't work unfortunately. Still sitting at the same frames.

So my RAM is CL16 and the timing is 16-18-18-38. I was hearing that 3200mhz RAM wasn't a very good match for Ryzen as well which I had no idea about.

I'm probably just going to go buy some 3600mhz RAM and see if that fixes things. If not, I'll just return it.

They don't have warzone here but BFV is also pretty miserably optimized, right? Regardless it doesn't seem to be a huge difference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZQGR5IKv-o&t=435s

edit: the main thing it shows is that 4133mhz is slower than 3800 because of the fabric clock thing, difference between 3200 and 3800 isn't too much

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

bus hustler posted:

for all the hype of the new ones they still perform worse than the gpu i bought in feb 2019.

Now that mid-cycle console upgrades are a thing, I think (at least from my anecdotal experience) a lot of the hype is much less about graphical performance and more about finally having respectable CPUs and fast SSDs as a baseline spec.

The Jaguar CPU cores and spinning hard disks in the XB1 and PS4 really held back this prior generation.

Special A
Nov 6, 2004

TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW!

Gyrotica posted:

Thanks for this - I’ve been using it for the last day or so. Any recommendations on the minimum refresh time before I’m in danger of being banned? Got it at the standard right now.

We recommend just leaving it at the default, but people seem to be running it at 1 or 2 second refresh delay without issue.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Space Racist posted:

Now that mid-cycle console upgrades are a thing, I think (at least from my anecdotal experience) a lot of the hype is much less about graphical performance and more about finally having respectable CPUs and fast SSDs as a baseline spec.

The Jaguar CPU cores and spinning hard disks in the XB1 and PS4 really held back this prior generation.

From a PC perspective I'd say what they really did is hold back game-design. Having mid-2000s era CPU power on tap has been a crippling handicap on cross-platform game design, and as the last gen dies off we should hopefully see some much more interesting games.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

infinite99 posted:

3200 vs 3600 is a low single-digit gain at the same CL. It's often a 0% gain if you go down in CL (so 3200@14 vs 3600@16). "ZOMG u need 4000Mhz for zenb3!" is mostly e-dick-stroking nonsense. Yes, there are legit gains to be gotten at the ultra high-end, or by custom-tuning, but frankly it's still not a whole lot and those RAM kits are considerably more expensive.

GN did a whole article on it: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3508-ryzen-3000-memory-benchmark-best-ram-fclk-uclock-mclock
Unless you're getting super high-end RAM, the difference between anything else in the rest of the stack is <5%.

e; basically you can expect that stepping up ~400Mhz is about the same as stepping down by 2 CL. But moving from 3200@16 to 3600@14 is probably only gonna get you a few frames, not the 30+ you're hoping for.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 6, 2020

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

bus hustler posted:

this is actually fun when driving is fun (i.e. GTA SA/GTA IV driving at least have their own style whereas GTAV is just samey nonsense) and if the worldmap isn't dogshit. This is a huge ask nowadays lol.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

bus hustler posted:

Yeah, ever since Morrowind I have been tricked into the concept of ~the journey is the destination~ and will almost always avoid fast travel so I can see the world and if anything interesting happens along the way. Especially in what I'll call "Horse-RPGs" where your primary transportation has an autopilot that lets you enjoy the scenery. I also enjoy the dialogue scenes that usually play out during these travel segments for missions/quests.

Basically, it's me: the guy who calls a taxi in GTA and then sits in the back for the ride rather than pressing Y to skip... :ohdear:

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

shrike82 posted:

there're a bunch of clips/streams out there showing bethesda level jank - not talking about graphics but weird gameplay glitches
the critical response to this is going to be interesting

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I’m gobsmacked at how large and heavy the 3090 FE is. ‘Chonker’ is an understatement.

It might also be the most attractive piece of electrical equipment (to look at and hold) I’ve ever bought. Nvidia aced the design part.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rollie Fingers posted:

I’m gobsmacked at how large and heavy the 3090 FE is. ‘Chonker’ is an understatement.

It might also be the most attractive piece of electrical equipment (to look at and hold) I’ve ever bought. Nvidia aced the design part.

Would you say it’s a “megachonk” or an “oh lord he coming”

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Do you have to keep MSI Afterburner running in order to keep the undervolt? Or is it a set it and the GPU holds the settings even when it's not running kinda thing?

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

Would you say it’s a “megachonk” or an “oh lord he coming”

megachonk imo

I’ve never considered using a brace before, but I’ll keep an eye out for any sag. This thing is heavy af

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Romes128 posted:

Do you have to keep MSI Afterburner running in order to keep the undervolt? Or is it a set it and the GPU holds the settings even when it's not running kinda thing?

It has to be running. You can set it to start minimized and load with Windows.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Crunchy Black posted:

I guess it makes me old that I refuse to buy any PSU that doesn't say PCP&C or Seasonic on the side, right? And that I've literally never had a single worry about my PSU being adequate through upgrades?

/joke advice, call Zippy, all they'll want is the bottom half of your right nut and the tip of your right index finger.

No, but PCP&C got bought out by OCZ a while back, and no longer means what it once did. Seasonic still does, though.
Also, nice Zippy reference, I remember them being mentioned in hushed whispers back in the day

That said, for some reason Seasonic doesn't have a great SFX selection, which makes choice of those trickier. I went with Corsair (Great Wall) ones for my SFX builds.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Also, maybe don't buy any of Gigabyte's new 80+ Gold PSUs: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/gigabyte-gp-p750gm-750-w/

TPU does good reviews (even if they do like to give out 'achievement badges' to make companies happy), but it's rare to see them be scathing like this.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

gently caress it, paid ~20% above normal price but got this

Seems Palit is not that sought after but I'm happy with any 3080.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

I hope cyberpump is good

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It might be. But not at launch.

It's a loving single player game from a studio known for uhh let's see : a game that had to be remade, another game that had to be remade, and a game that required quite a few patches. Don't rush into it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

K8.0 posted:

Don't rush into it.

I’m waiting for the Switch port.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah I'm probably waiting for the inevitable improved edition that fixes most of the jank etc.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

omeg posted:

Yeah I'm probably waiting for the inevitable improved edition that fixes most of the jank etc.

I can't help but feel like this hype for CP2077 is mostly rooted in two related impulses:
1) I have to get and play through it before anyone spoils the plot for me. :ohdear:
2) I can't wait to play it first and spoil the plot for as many people as I possibly can. :troll:

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

BIG HEADLINE posted:

1) I have to get and play through it before anyone spoils the plot for me. :ohdear:
Yeah it's this, I took my time with RDR2 and literally could not avoid having everything spoiled.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

It has to be running. You can set it to start minimized and load with Windows.

Thanks. I noticed the MSI software for lighting kept my 3080 lighting as I set it, even after uninstalling the software. Was curious if Afterburner did the same.

I’m assuming it’s pretty lightweight and unobtrusive. I don’t like to have a billion utilities running in the background.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

MSI Afterburner is one of the very few software that I don’t mind running in the background and hiding from the system tray. It’s lightweight and just works and if I want performance data I can quickly open an in-game overlay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

infinite99 posted:

Before spending money, you can often fairly straight forwardly overclock a 3200 MHZ to 3733 or 3800 while keeping CL16. I've got my 3200mhz 2x16GB CL16 Crucial Ballistix sticks (e-die) running at 3800 with tighter timings just fine which is really nice for like $75 32-gb ram. Some people even get 3200 running at 3900 just fine as well, and some have even had it running at 4000 albeit usually with a tCL drop. It's especially useful on Zen CPUs and not really too difficult. It does depend on your dram production. samsung b-die is generally the best but micron e-die is really good too. i would say just give a shot upping your memory clock multiplier to 36, set your memory clock frequency to 1800 mhz, and set infinity fabric/fclck frequency to 1800 (1:1 synchronous mem:IF). I'd prob suggest upping the voltages a bit just to make sure it's stable and then either tighten timings or lower the voltage. 1.4V on DRAM is safe and typical starting point, and may need to also go to 1.05-1.1V on VSOC which is safe as well but sometimes it's more than fine just getting bumped up without changing voltages. This is a good simple baseline guide: https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/master/DDR4%20OC%20Guide.md#finding-a-baseline. Two programs you need just to run a quick test and see if it's looking good: OCCT (free) for IF stability checking (run the AVX CPU test), and some ram test, either karhu ramtest (paid) or testmem5 (free) is fine. usually if there's a problem, testmem5 with extreme profile hits it within 15 minutes.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 7, 2020