Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Laserface posted:

however you're only getting in as many laps as the slowest person in your crew.

ride solo. singles line 4 lyfe

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

spwrozek posted:

Here is the response I got back:

Hi spwrozek!

Thanks so much for voicing your concern.
We addressed this topic last season with our product team in Europe and am happy to report that our next Fall collection WILL NOT have the plastic insert. :)

Thank you again for sending a note about this.
Cheers to you,
Ali

So at least their boots will not have it. ha!

Nice! Saving the planet, one piece of plastic crap at a time.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Jones posted a bunch of avy-safety stuff:
https://www.jonessnowboards.com/content/231-backcountry-safety

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Laserface posted:

Beginners shouldnt really be dropping that kind of money on a kit. (granted, when i bought my first board set up I went with the brand new and untested EST binding system, although that has worked out pretty well)

They are the iphone 12 pro max of bindings. completely unnecessary and flagship. they are becoming more common in Aus, I saw a few pairs this year.

that said: as someone who loves bombing groomers all day I definitely see the appeal of being able to stomp-in right off the chair.

however you're only getting in as many laps as the slowest person in your crew.

I had the chance to demo them last season and it took a run or two to get used to them. It felt like there was a delay to my turns, which wasn’t a dealbreaker but it was definitely noticeable — I still chalk that up to not being all that used to them.

Don’t get me wrong, I think they’re a great idea + binding in general, but aside from the easy click-in they don’t feel that beginner friendly.
This is for two reasons: At the moment, the boots they offer for them are pretty stiff. Great performance-wise, but not all that forgiving. Heavier riders won’t have as much of an issue, but then there’s the criticism of the Re:Flex plate wearing loose after a little while. Also, the bindings themselves don’t have much dampening to them, so you feel almost everything underfoot and wear yourself out quicker.

On top of that, they shouldn’t be anywhere near the park. You can launch off jumps without worrying about the odd concept of pre-releasing while on a snowboard, but grabs feel awkward and you have to put way more work into your tweaks. This isn’t to be like “toestraps or die!” but going back to the beginner aspect, any new rider is going to find themselves at the park at one point and work up the courage to huck & pray.

The people who come into my shop looking for Step Ons aren’t newbloods or parents wanting something convenient for their kids, it’s people with pre-existing conditions/injuries or oldheads who want to keep tearing it up. It’s just lame of Burton to push it like it’s some cashgrab gimmick when they could be helping a whole generation of folks who are starting to regret not learning how to ski.
No shade to those getting into snowboarding and pulling the trigger on them, but I feel like for a company that’s become this huge corporate figure over the years they’d realize where the money really is.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
“I bet your governor is a democrat.”
-angry guest canceling due to covid restrictions

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

“I bet your governor is a democrat.”
-angry guest canceling due to covid restrictions

Solid. Death is cool though right? bring it on?

E: V LOL

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 3, 2020

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Dude’s gonna be furious when he finds out Polis is gay too

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Macnult posted:

I had the chance to demo them last season and it took a run or two to get used to them. It felt like there was a delay to my turns, which wasn’t a dealbreaker but it was definitely noticeable — I still chalk that up to not being all that used to them.

Funny, my impression has been the exact opposite. Because of the way the heel is firmly fixed to the highback my turns feel way more immediate than my previous setup.

I absolutely adore my step ons, with a bit of practice I’m able to get into them without stopping most of the time. As someone who mostly rides with skiers I know they appreciate it too.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I have always assumed there is some significant performance hit to step-in snowboard bindings, because every powder day for the past decade+ I am constantly passing a bunch of pow-hungry snowboarders on early laps when they have to stop and strap in. Plenty of days I've gotten say, 10th chair but still easily get first tracks on a popular line because 2/3rds of the people on the chairs ahead of me were boarders who had to stop and strap in.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I would think if your boots are soft, step ins are not going to be good for you. Strap ins/highbacks make up for worn out boots. I hope in the future when I'm old/fat and can't bend over, there will be tech that just magnetically seals boots to board :shrug:

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

bawfuls posted:

I have always assumed there is some significant performance hit to step-in snowboard bindings, because every powder day for the past decade+ I am constantly passing a bunch of pow-hungry snowboarders on early laps when they have to stop and strap in. Plenty of days I've gotten say, 10th chair but still easily get first tracks on a popular line because 2/3rds of the people on the chairs ahead of me were boarders who had to stop and strap in.

My understanding is that the old ones that was absolutely the case, Burton came out with an entirely new step on design a couple seasons ago though.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Step in bindings from the 2000s were trash that iced over immediately and required frequent chiseling out at the top of the lift to get to work again. I'd imagine that bad PR killed the whole idea for a good decade. I haven't really heard much about the new Burton ones, but I'd be suspicious of them for the same reason, proving my bias. I'd love to be wrong, though.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Does Epic mail a new card/pass every year, or if you renew can you still just keep on using the card you already have?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Does Epic mail a new card/pass every year, or if you renew can you still just keep on using the card you already have?

I have had the same one since 2011

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Great, that makes things a lot easier! I have had a very enjoyable start to the season. Been to the local Mountain 3 out of the last 4 days, today inclusive. First day was season opener and it was stormy out and they ended up closing most of the lifts, but I was just warming up and getting the feel for things, so that was ok. Conditions have been pretty nice every day since, and Meadows seems to be doing a good job about enforcing masks. I have had quite a few boomer aged single skiers try to ride the lift with me, but it has not been a problem to politely decline. Although I can tell it pisses them off a little bit. Been a lot of people in the parking lot acting questionable though, as they have moved the "lodge" to the parking lot, as in that is where everyone is supposed to eat and whatnot. I guess because it is outside the confines of the resort people think that any sort of behavior is acceptable and there has been some questionable behavior in regards to drinking and weed, and one guy coughing on people and screaming about masks, but eventually someone from the resort came out and talked to him and told him. I didn't see the aftermath of what happened there.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I have posted this before, but the big variable in the attractiveness of step ins is whether you are at Jackson Hole, and taking 1 minute to strap in means little when it takes 15 minutes to run to the bottom, and you’ll probably even stop several times along the way, or if you are at Boston Mills in Ohio, and it literally takes you longer to strap in than it does to make it back to the bottom of the lift...

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Snow isn't very good, so I'm going up with my wife (who's a killer snowboarder) and trying snowboarding for the first time. I've been skiing all my life so this should be interesting...

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

stratdax posted:

Snow isn't very good, so I'm going up with my wife (who's a killer snowboarder) and trying snowboarding for the first time. I've been skiing all my life so this should be interesting...

Sorry to hear about your divorce...

Seriously though have fun and don't put your arm out if you fall.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Lunchtime. Linking turns now. Seems all pretty straightforward but probably because I'm already used to a bit of speed (although I am on the bunnyhill). Crucial is using my hands to point the way I want to go, and using the toes on my lead foot to initiate edge transfers (and the rear foot follows). Pretty fun!

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Get off the bunny hill. You're gonna get hit, and steeps make easier turns.

That's actually a frustration for me wrt teaching friends how to board

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ante posted:

Agreed.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

stratdax posted:

Lunchtime. Linking turns now. Seems all pretty straightforward but probably because I'm already used to a bit of speed (although I am on the bunnyhill). Crucial is using my hands to point the way I want to go, and using the toes on my lead foot to initiate edge transfers (and the rear foot follows). Pretty fun!

:stoked:

I like teaching the “holding a guitar” method for pointing where you’re going.

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 4, 2020

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

spwrozek posted:

Sorry to hear about your divorce...

Seriously though have fun and don't put your arm out if you fall.

Ya... did that. I can see why you said not to. Wrenched my shoulder in a direction it's not supposed to go. A couple stretched ligaments for sure. So from then on I was like "ok, DON'T put your arm out" so then the next time I fell I absolutely meteored my tailbone into the hardpack. Gonna be walking funny the next couple of days. :p

ante posted:

Got off the bunny hill and onto the green. Bunny hill was corduroy and the full run was sugary loose stuff. It was pretty good! Was able to dig in and do some proper carving. Slowly of course.

Moot .1415926535 posted:

:stoked:

I like teaching the “holding a guitar” method for pointing where you’re going.

ha I like that.

Skiing was getting a bit samey. I mean when there are excellent conditions of course I'll ski (and I'm planning on doing nothing but backcountry this season anyway), but I was getting kinda over just going to a mountain for a ski day and it's so-so conditions... Even if that is up Whistler, only so many times in your life you can ski the same runs until you get over it. So yeah, leaning something new is fun.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Sugarbush (VT) postponed their opening day (again) from Dec 3 to Dec 10. When will this season start!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

stratdax posted:

Ya... did that. I can see why you said not to. Wrenched my shoulder in a direction it's not supposed to go. A couple stretched ligaments for sure. So from then on I was like "ok, DON'T put your arm out" so then the next time I fell I absolutely meteored my tailbone into the hardpack. Gonna be walking funny the next couple of days. :p

Skiing was getting a bit samey. I mean when there are excellent conditions of course I'll ski (and I'm planning on doing nothing but backcountry this season anyway), but I was getting kinda over just going to a mountain for a ski day and it's so-so conditions... Even if that is up Whistler, only so many times in your life you can ski the same runs until you get over it. So yeah, leaning something new is fun.

I remember my buddy and I teaching our friend to snowboard in high school. The next day he came into Spanish class and gingerly sat down....pulled out a bottle of advil. It was hilarious. Hope you are generally ok.

As someone who rides and skis it is good and fun plan.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

The first few days on snowboard are brutal. Your knees and butt will hate you...although since you already understand edge control, it should go fairly quick.
For me, the key was understand how to use the front foot. The whole 'point the direction you want to go' never worked for me...although I kinda need it when I ride switch.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

ante posted:

Step in bindings from the 2000s were trash that iced over immediately and required frequent chiseling out at the top of the lift to get to work again. I'd imagine that bad PR killed the whole idea for a good decade. I haven't really heard much about the new Burton ones, but I'd be suspicious of them for the same reason, proving my bias. I'd love to be wrong, though.

I got a set of the new step-on bindings when they came out a few years ago. Working at a resort i have gotten at least a few runs a day, every day for the past 3 winters with them.
I find better edge response and control than with strap bindings, and being on a smaller mountain, being able to ride straight off the lift with no waiting is wonderful. I have never met terrain that the bindings were the hold up for me, that said the biggest drop I have done with them was maybe a 12' cliff, so I can't speak to their big air capability.
The best thing I can say about them is once you step into the board, I forget the bindings are there.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Oh hey it's my worst loving nightmare.

https://liftblog.com/2020/12/05/occupied-chair-falls-from-49-degrees-north-lift

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

lol there is no way we’re not gonna get shut down.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Moot .1415926535 posted:

lol there is no way we’re not gonna get shut down.

I've already written off this entire season

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

We are definitely not shutting down in CO. Like, we are totally in minimize deaths to support the economy mode. We changed level red to not be a shut down so that we don't have to shut down. We gonna be Gucci until vaccine

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

We’ll see I guess. San Miguel county is, for some unholy reason, taking cues from Summit. Just ride the lifts until you can’t anymore is my plan

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

HookShot posted:

I've never tried an Arctica suit, but I cannot dissuade you from Karbon enough. The actual suit is of ok quality, but the padding they have in them is somehow less than useless. I never had so many bruises as I did the year I had a Karbon suit and I will never buy another one in my life.

But yeah, if she's already got a Spyder suit I can't say I'd spent that kind of money. You could try taking her suit in to a tailor and having it taken in, I guess, or just have her wearing a loose suit for a year or two until she starts filling them out a bit.
We avoided Karbon at your suggestion and ended up ordering a custom Fuxi GS suit because a friend recommended them and she could pick out custom colors. I added a note on sizing to the order but I think the sizing is completely standardized.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

I've already written off this entire season

I have too. I need to actually look to see if there's a date by which I have to push my pass back to next season. I haven't looked at any of that poo poo.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Moot .1415926535 posted:

We’ll see I guess. San Miguel county is, for some unholy reason, taking cues from Summit. Just ride the lifts until you can’t anymore is my plan

Heh, that is my exact plan. Have 6 days so far, gonna do a half day tomorrow as well.

I realized I rather get early groomer days in vs waiting and seeing if they shut down (and getting a bigger refund on my pass).

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Since the only chance I'll have to snowboard this season (after zero last season due to new baby) is the little hill in my yard with a jump off the retaining wall allowing me to do one 360, I would love a pair of step-ins or at least flow bindings. But I certainly wouldn't plunk down significant money for something that if I'm lucky I might get enough snow to do one afternoon this season. I guess the upside to this hell year is that since no one has to drive anywhere, I won't be exhausted from shoveling the driveway before I even get the chance to make a ramp off the wall.

Looks like Liberty and Whitetail's websites have switched to the Vail template since the buyout. No snow yet but Wisp is making snow.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Moey posted:

Heh, that is my exact plan. Have 6 days so far, gonna do a half day tomorrow as well.

I realized I rather get early groomer days in vs waiting and seeing if they shut down (and getting a bigger refund on my pass).

Yeah we're gonna go ride a chairlift today and just kinda say gently caress it. And good thing I have rock skis now because woof. Skinned up Snowmass last night and if it ain't man made, it's very very thin

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am starting to worry just a hair about renting a condo for a month in Colorado. Maybe, just maybe there might be some vaccine and improvement by February.....

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

davebo posted:

Looks like Liberty and Whitetail's websites have switched to the Vail template since the buyout. No snow yet but Wisp is making snow.

I can’t imagine doing Liberty or Whitetail with how crowded they usually are. Feeling like Canaan might be the best local for us this year, since it’s usually pretty empty anyway. Don’t think I’ve ever had to share a chair there, even during Christmas peak season. (They’ve gotten some natural and are blowing snow, looking decent.). Be interesting to see what Timberline looks like this year too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
As someone who spent a decade of their youth using k2 clicker step ins, when I went to a normal strap binding it was like going from driving a bus to a tiny sports car. I taught snowboarding for a while and yeah, the step ins had their use there - but if I had to do it again, I'd just use normal Bindings from the get go. I was definitely being held back using step ins.

Theres simply no substitute for actual straps. Flow is the only one that's halfway decent from what I see, but yeah. Step ins where your boot locks into place always seem to be a half second behind when it comes to control. Straps are instant.