Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

WELL!

It turns out all the new components are fine. I was using an old SATA cable to power by DVD drive and it refused to boot with that plugged in.

Now I'm constantly stuck in a BIOS loop. It's refusing to acknowledge Windows on any of my drives.

Happened to me when I updated my bios, had to disable CSM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

spunkshui posted:

Happened to me when I updated my bios, had to disable CSM.

Oh poo poo. It took some digging but I think that worked.

Thanks!

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
So I am noticing some significant slow down recently with recent games and think it might be time for an upgrade. My issue is that I've been so out of the loop on these things that I don't know what's what any longer.

Speccy

My graphics card is 5+ years old, so that might be the suspect. I was running it on an i5-3570K from 2012 when in 2019 the motherboard blew some caps and I was forced to do an upgrade to Ryzen 5 2400G.
I figured if I needed to upgrade anything it's my graphics card but HAHAHAHAHAHAH trying to find anything right now.

Wondering if anyone dis/agrees with my assessment and has any suggestions or ideas.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Robzilla posted:

So I am noticing some significant slow down recently with recent games and think it might be time for an upgrade. My issue is that I've been so out of the loop on these things that I don't know what's what any longer.

Speccy

My graphics card is 5+ years old, so that might be the suspect. I was running it on an i5-3570K from 2012 when in 2019 the motherboard blew some caps and I was forced to do an upgrade to Ryzen 5 2400G.
I figured if I needed to upgrade anything it's my graphics card but HAHAHAHAHAHAH trying to find anything right now.

Wondering if anyone dis/agrees with my assessment and has any suggestions or ideas.

Yeah, a GPU would probably be the most beneficial and straightforward upgrade. I think a 3070 is the ideal 1440p card, but getting one is not for the faint of heart. There are Discords tracking stock though.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
There are plausibly some games that would be CPU bound, but I think it's a lot more likely the GPU unless you're looking at trying to get high FPS at 1080p or something.

Your options are
a) wait (always a good option as long as you can live with your current performance, you might have to turn down some settings?)
b) pay scalped prices for a card. You can get a good card this way but it is expensive. Only worth doing for a 3000-series card
c) play the stock drop discord notification game. It probably isn't too hard to get a 3060Ti or a 3070 this way (as long as you're not picky about model), 3080s are a bit harder. You need to be able to jump on alerts when they happen, though.
d) scour the used market. Probably not the best time for a deal but if you could find a reasonable price for a 1070 or a 2060 (not necessarily super) that should probably be enough to tide you over until the market unfucks itself.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Thanks again to whoever suggested the Bequiet! Pure Rock 2 for a cooler. After fumbling the install (touching the pre-applied thermal paste and really struggling to get the fan clipped on), my temps are now around 33c idle and 59 under 100% synthetic load in Ryzen Master. Plus, it's way quieter.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Well, I have everything but a GPU (still flailing at discords) so I decided to just do the build. Everything all hooked up, no POST. The 'CPU' debug LED lights and the fans go, but nothing else.

I've flashed the BIOS about 8 times now, using the most through third most recent BIOS version on the manufacturer site. BIOS flash seems to work, the LED on the flash drive and on the read panel blink for ~5 mins then the system reboots itself, but still nothing but the CPU LED. The first time I flashed it I had everything plugged in, but since then I've taken out all the RAM, disconnected everything including the CPU itself, still same behavior. Reset CMOS too.

I'm assuming that I should be getting something besides this even without a GPU plugged in? I know it has no onboard video, but the debug LED going steady no matter what seems like a bad sign to me.

Anything else to try? I was already not 100% happy with this mobo but it came in a combo with the CPU so I figured why not. Return and swap? Some other magic I'm not thinking of?

Build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($169.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($148.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Lenovo)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: 3070 or 80 that I do not actually have yet.
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($87.89 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA G1+ 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($123.94 @ Office Depot)
Total: $2397.06
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-05 18:32 EST-0500

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 6, 2020

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Trying to find some controller options for my partner who doesn't prefer kb+m play, is the Xbox Wireless Controller + Wireless Adapter "the best" mainstream wireless controller experience on PC? They're not a super hardcore gamer and the more expensive options transcend overkill.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

denereal visease posted:

Trying to find some controller options for my partner who doesn't prefer kb+m play, is the Xbox Wireless Controller + Wireless Adapter "the best" mainstream wireless controller experience on PC? They're not a super hardcore gamer and the more expensive options transcend overkill.

https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-Sn30-Pro-Bluetooth-Gamepad-mac/dp/B07T8JKVNT/

Dunno about best but this has been a real workhorse for me.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

NmareBfly posted:

Well, I have everything but a GPU (still flailing at discords) so I decided to just do the build. Everything all hooked up, no POST. The 'CPU' debug LED lights and the fans go, but nothing else.

I've flashed the BIOS about 8 times now, using the most through third most recent BIOS version on the manufacturer site. BIOS flash seems to work, the LED on the flash drive and on the read panel blink for ~5 mins then the system reboots itself, but still nothing but the CPU LED. The first time I flashed it I had everything plugged in, but since then I've taken out all the RAM, disconnected everything including the CPU itself, still same behavior. Reset CMOS too.

I'm assuming that I should be getting something besides this even without a GPU plugged in? I know it has no onboard video, but the debug LED going steady no matter what seems like a bad sign to me.

Anything else to try? I was already not 100% happy with this mobo but it came in a combo with the CPU so I figured why not. Return and swap? Some other magic I'm not thinking of?

Build:

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($148.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Lenovo)
Power Supply: EVGA G1+ 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($123.94 @ Office Depot)

Most? boards won't post without a gpu installed.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Incredibly helpful, thanks!!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

denereal visease posted:

Yes, it is. You'll flat out have the best time with it compared to other solutions. Its reliable, and games are designed around it.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Temperature question, since it's been ~7 years since my last build, and I didn't pay close attention to temperature for that computer:

I have a AMD 5800X with the Noctua NH-D15 cooler for it. The case is a Phanteks P600 Eclipse with the stock fans that come with the case, 2 intake on the front and 1 exhaust.

At idle, the CPU temperature is around 33-35º C, and I installed Folding@Home to run the computer to run everything at load for testing/contributing to the good of humanity. At the "Medium" folding setting, it pegs all 8 cores at the max frequency so it seems to be a pretty good load indicator.

The CPU temp peaks at around 90º C when under load, and the GPU at 65ºC. When I stop the folding, the CPU will drop down to 40º C in less than 10 seconds, so it seams the NH-D15 is working well, but is 90º C under full load high?

Should I look at replacing the fans with 140mm Noctuas just for better fans, and/or adding more fans (3 intake, 2 exhaust)?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Some Goon posted:

Most? boards won't post without a gpu installed.

Even given that, I would expect the GPU debug LED to light, not CPU. (it has boot / vga / ram / cpu)

Or no? I mean I can just wait another week or two until I actually get a card to see for sure. Maybe I'll see if a friend has an extra for debugging...

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

NmareBfly posted:

Even given that, I would expect the GPU debug LED to light, not CPU. (it has boot / vga / ram / cpu)

Or no? I mean I can just wait another week or two until I actually get a card to see for sure. Maybe I'll see if a friend has an extra for debugging...

That I don't know, I was too cheap to get a board with debug leds. It's the first thing I'd try though, given that it's the most obvious problem.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

denereal visease posted:

My old Xbox controller does so I picked up one from PowerA (direct from their site) and I love it to pieces.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Samadhi posted:

Temperature question, since it's been ~7 years since my last build, and I didn't pay close attention to temperature for that computer:

I have a AMD 5800X with the Noctua NH-D15 cooler for it. The case is a Phanteks P600 Eclipse with the stock fans that come with the case, 2 intake on the front and 1 exhaust.

At idle, the CPU temperature is around 33-35º C, and I installed Folding@Home to run the computer to run everything at load for testing/contributing to the good of humanity. At the "Medium" folding setting, it pegs all 8 cores at the max frequency so it seems to be a pretty good load indicator.

The CPU temp peaks at around 90º C when under load, and the GPU at 65ºC. When I stop the folding, the CPU will drop down to 40º C in less than 10 seconds, so it seams the NH-D15 is working well, but is 90º C under full load high?

Should I look at replacing the fans with 140mm Noctuas just for better fans, and/or adding more fans (3 intake, 2 exhaust)?

That seems really high...broken high. My 3700X never gets above 65C with a U14S. I doubt yours should get hotter with a better cooler and the same TDP.

So the airflow in the case is intake at the front, exhaust at the back? The D15 is aligned with that? You got the included thermal paste on the CPU? Which jumper is the CPU fan plugged into and how is its profile set in the BIOS? Did you plug the D15 directly into the motherboard or into a fan hub controller?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Samadhi posted:

Yes to the 3 intake fans with 2 exhaust, but also go into the bios and play with the cpu fan settings.

Lots of case fans lets you run them slower.

Look for “fan delay” Settings. You can have the fans wait fir prolonged heat before ramping up which I super recommend with that big cooler.

Faster cpu fan settings will drop temps immediately.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

That seems really high...broken high. My 3700X never gets above 65C with a U14S. I doubt yours should get hotter with a better cooler and the same TDP.

So the airflow in the case is intake at the front, exhaust at the back? The D15 is aligned with that? You got the included thermal paste on the CPU? Which jumper is the CPU fan plugged into and how is its profile set in the BIOS? Did you plug the D15 directly into the motherboard or into a fan hub controller?

I just ran Cinebench (15,063 points) and it peaked at 85º C during the test and then was back down to ~40° within 15 seconds or so.

To answer your questions:

*Two fans in the front for intake, one in the back for exhaust. All fans are 140mm
*The D15 is aligned with that, but the front fan is installed slightly higher to clear the RAM
*I used the Noctua thermal paste. I may take the cooler off and check the application, but it cools off quickly once F@H is turned off, making me think it is transferring heat fine
*Both fans are plugged into the supplied Noctua adapter, https://noctua.at/en/na-syc1, then into CPU_1 header
*I changed the profile to go to 100% at 60°, but that was the only change. It was set to go to 100% only at 75° C IIRC.
*See above, both fans into the splitter and then into the motherboard directly. The case fans are plugged into the Phanteks fan controller.

Samadhi fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 6, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

90C is high for a D15 on anything, but a few points:

The 3700x and 5800x do not have the same TDP, and its real power draw is much higher (88 vs 142). With a U14S it will close in on 90C in certain torture tests unless you lower the PPT or crank all your fans way up.

Also you max at 65C doing what?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Samadhi posted:

I just ran Cinebench and it peaked at 85º C during the test and then was back down to ~40° within 15 seconds or so.

*Two fans in the front for intake, one in the back for exhaust. All fans are 140mm
*The D15 is aligned with that, but the front fan is installed slightly higher to clear the RAM
*I used the Noctua thermal paste. I may take the cooler off and check the application, but it cools off quickly once F@H is turned off, making me think it is transferring heat fine
*Both fans are plugged into the supplied Noctua adapter, https://noctua.at/en/na-syc1, then into CPU_1 header
*I changed the profile to go to 100% at 60°, but that was the only change. It was set to go to 100% only at 75° C IIRC.
*See above, both fans into the splitter and then into the motherboard directly. The case fans are plugged into the Phanteks fan controller.

Sounds like everything is set up well, and the fact that it dumps the heat so quickly means there is contact between the plate and CPU...

IDK, that still seems like a really high temp: is it peaking and staying at 90C or spiking up to 90C and going back down in waves? Are the case fans set to ramp up with CPU temp? What is the ambient room temperature?

I suppose it is possible that the 5800X just runs that hot, but it seems unlikely. Perhaps someone else who snagged one can give their experience with temps.

edit: oops on the TDP, but I got 65C on my 3700X with a U14S with 16 instances of SuperPi going for almost an hour. :shrug:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I thought it had been brought up before that the 5800x ran kind of hot

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

I thought it had been brought up before that the 5800x ran kind of hot

I will say my 5800x can max at 90C when running cinebench (scythe mugen 5 rev b cooler). I am hoping some of this might be bios related since its only a beta build, but I may just turn down the power settings a bit in the meantime.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

My understanding is that the 5800X is kind of the worst case thermally of the 105W TDP/142W PPT Zen 3 chips, because it's pushing all that power through one CCX instead of two, meaning all the heat is coming out of half the surface area compared to a 5900X or 5950X.

I think it's less an issue of the heat sink's ability to dissipate heat, and more about difficulty getting heat out of the chip and into the heat sink at all.

I wonder how much better a true liquid metal paste like Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut would do, but OTOH I personally would not want to gently caress with using electrically conductive paste.

I lowered the PPT from 142 to 128 and still scored 6066 in Cinebench R20 while running 10C cooler, so there's room to get it running cooler without practically harming performance at all.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

NmareBfly posted:

Build:

PCPartPicker Part List

You need to flash it with literally nothing connected but the PSU. Remove the RAM, CPU, GPU, everything

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Samadhi posted:

I have the same CPU and cooler and have never pushed the CPU temp higher than about 75 C under load (prime95 torture test). I’m using Noctua redux 1700 fans in a 2x140 intake and 1x120 exhaust configuration in a Meshify C so I think it’s worth a shot for you. I’m running the “optimized” fan curves in my Asus bios, and each fan is plugged into its own header (including both DH15 fans since my mobo has two cpu fan headers)

My ambient temp is pretty low tho (20 C) so I’m sure that helps

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 6, 2020

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

sean10mm posted:

My understanding is that the 5800X is kind of the worst case thermally of the 105W TDP/142W PPT Zen 3 chips, because it's pushing all that power through one CCX instead of two, meaning all the heat is coming out of half the surface area compared to a 5900X or 5950X.

I think it's less an issue of the heat sink's ability to dissipate heat, and more about difficulty getting heat out of the chip and into the heat sink at all.

I wonder how much better a true liquid metal paste like Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut would do, but OTOH I personally would not want to gently caress with using electrically conductive paste.

I lowered the PPT from 142 to 128 and still scored 6066 in Cinebench R20 while running 10C cooler, so there's room to get it running cooler without practically harming performance at all.

This, and my deep desire to own one anyway, is pushing me to upgrading to the 5900X as soon as I can get one I think. The 5800X was just me settling so I could get the computer built, in all honesty. I may take a look at the thermal paste if new fans don't help.

vanilla slimfast posted:

I have the same CPU and cooler and have never pushed the CPU temp higher than about 75 C under load (prime95 torture test). I’m using Noctua fans in a 2x140 intake and 1x120 exhaust configuration in a Meshify C so I think it’s worth a shot for you. I’m running the “optimized” fan curves in my Asus bios, and each fan is plugged into its own header (including both DH15 fans since my mobo has two cpu fan headers)

My ambient temp is pretty low tho (20 C) so I’m sure that helps

What does your fan curve look like?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Samadhi posted:

What does your fan curve look like?

I clicked the "optimize" button in the Asus BIOS, which generated this fan curve. It's not too far off from the default, as far as I can tell. It ramps to 100% at 70 C:

e: now i'm kinda curious to see what my thermals would look like with the quiet fan curve enabled. might test that out tomorrow just for kicks

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 6, 2020

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Samadhi posted:

I just ran Cinebench (15,063 points) and it peaked at 85º C during the test and then was back down to ~40° within 15 seconds or so.

Your setup sounds good.

It also seems like you’re not the only one.

https://reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/jrccrt/5800x_temps_whats_going_on/

Good amount of people in there reporting your exact temps with D15, and other people not. According to AMD (one of the AMD employees responded with a chart down that thread) they expect 60-80 C with a D15.

People in there are claiming manufacturing issues, but I’d probably do more research than believing AMD subreddit idiots.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

There are just a lot of variables here too. Different motherboards and bios revisions may cause different boosting behavior or just run higher voltage than they should. Also different fan curves, cases, ambient temps, etc.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

sean10mm posted:

There are just a lot of variables here too. Different motherboards and bios revisions may cause different boosting behavior or just run higher voltage than they should. Also different fan curves, cases, ambient temps, etc.

Yeah, :iiam:

I tore down all the case fan connections this morning to make sure that they were intaking/exhausting correctly, i.e. the directions weren't borked, and they were fine. However the Phantek fans are all 3-pin and they were running through the Phanteks fan controller that connects via 4-pin PWM to the board. I think I'm going to get 3 brand new Noctua 4-pin fans and run them directly off of the board as a first step.

edit: Apparently the only people that have the Noctua NF-A14 fans in stock are third-party sellers charging nearly $40 a piece for them. I may just need to pick up three of the be quiet! Pure Wings 2 or SILENTWINGS 3 PWM 140mm fans

second edit:

sean10mm posted:

Did you lower this with Ryzen Master? I can't find a way to edit that in the program.

Samadhi fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 6, 2020

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
My 5800x with a NH-D15s the ran cinebench with a max temp of 80C (Ambient 21-22C) with similar 15000 multi score (boost to 4800). The big caveat with this is my corsair 400r is a huge case and the front fans have a weird retaining clip that would make it an absolute pain in the rear end to declip from the mother board so are plugged into molex and run at 1000 rpm constantly. I'm undecided if it's actually quiet or that I've mentally tuned it out.

Idle is 10C over ambient

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
edit: double

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Samadhi posted:

I tore down all the case fan connections this morning to make sure that they were intaking/exhausting correctly, i.e. the directions weren't borked, and they were fine. However the Phantek fans are all 3-pin and they were running through the Phanteks fan controller that connects via 4-pin PWM to the board. I think I'm going to get 3 brand new Noctua 4-pin fans and run them directly off of the board as a first step.

edit: Apparently the only people that have the Noctua NF-A14 fans in stock are third-party sellers charging nearly $40 a piece for them. I may just need to pick up three of the be quiet! Pure Wings 2 or SILENTWINGS 3 PWM 140mm fans

second edit:

Did you lower this with Ryzen Master? I can't find a way to edit that in the program.

Select a profile and enable PBO and it should let you edit the values to apply & test.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Samadhi posted:

second edit:

3 pin fans in 4 pin connectors isn’t an issue. However 4 pin fans tend to have better pressure, and you’ll likely get better cooling out of 4 pin fans.

Have you tried just setting all your fans to max speed and running the test? Is your system in a kind of enclosed space? What’s your ambient?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

is there any good USB 3.1 gen 2 powered hubs out there?

I see ones with like, ten or fifteen ports but that's more than I need I only need like, 5-7

Anyone?

Fireant
Sep 13, 2003

Information Gatherer
Been trying to research CPUs to upgrade my 5 year old machine. Managed to snag an i7-10700k for $330 but starting to second guess if going the Ryzen route is going to be better in every way. I like to occasionally game (VR too) but like to video edit and use after effects so wanting a well rounded machine. Am I constricting myself going with intel for that price? I know it’s not pci 4 and I just got a RTX 3070 if that helps.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Fireant posted:

Been trying to research CPUs to upgrade my 5 year old machine. Managed to snag an i7-10700k for $330 but starting to second guess if going the Ryzen route is going to be better in every way. I like to occasionally game (VR too) but like to video edit and use after effects so wanting a well rounded machine. Am I constricting myself going with intel for that price? I know it’s not pci 4 and I just got a RTX 3070 if that helps.

No, the 10700k is a good chip, about on par with, usually slightly ahead of, both the 5600x and the Ryzen 3800x. And with the price hikes on Ryzens at the minute, your 10700k isn't looking too bad value. Intel is ahead of AMD in at this price mark.

pcie 4 isn't really an issue now, but it could be in the future. Graphic cards right now don't fully saturate PCIe 3 lanes, so the PCIe 4 capability of the newer motherboards aren't useful yet with them, and pcie 4 nvme drives aren't super fast either in actual practice (Linus has a good video on that, from a few months ago). In the near future, who knows, maybe the PCIe 4ness will kick in and actually become important. But not right now.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 6, 2020

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Fireant posted:

AMD is considered the better price/performance, especially for non-gaming. If you just want a gaming machine that can also do some work on the side, you can get a 3700X or 5800X (if you want to :f5:), but the King Workstation chip is the 5950X right now.

Honestly, though, the 10700k and 3700X are two sides of the same coin, especially at the same price-point. The 5800X would be an upgrade, but also cost $100 more plus the time to find one.

tl;dr - you should be fine with that chip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Had a few weeks to think while I waited for the 5600X to get in stock, and it's now on its way, so time to finally pin this down. I've decided portability is not needed (the Nvidia Shield accomplished that) but that doesn't mean I still want to giant chunk of glass, time has given me perspective and now I want a smaller, slightly less flamboyant case. Here's what I hope is my final haul:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($38.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($142.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB GAMING X Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($143.72 @ Amazon)
Monitor: LG 27GL83A-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($379.99 @ Amazon)

And since it's not on pcpartpicker: Case: Cougar MX410-G https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811553065