Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Oh don't even get me started on the pullup vs chin-up argument!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

I usually don't mind a Nolan, as they often excel at first-watch swept-along-with-the-tide type entertainment and who cares if they (inevitably) fall apart after the fact, but this one managed to not only self-destruct its own initial watch but amount to a whole lot of gently caress all during the mandatory Internet Teardown afterwards.

It's essentially two hours of you internally generating the "this is probably cool I just don't get it yet" feeling as people posture Bondishly while wearing suits, walking out thinking "maybe that was bullshit but since I could only hear half of it I'd better check?" and then confirming that it was exactly as dumb as it seemed if not moreso once the more tenuous/tedious puzzle box elements are outlined.

For a gimmick film all it has to do is nail the gimmick, and this one missed by a mile. Also probably stop ending these things with Call of Duty longplays my dude!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Super Foul Egg posted:

Also probably stop ending these things with Call of Duty longplays my dude!
Jesus, the snow base section of Inception. It wasn't like watching someone else playing Call Of Duty - it felt like having someone describe someone else playing Call Of Duty. ("Oh, there's another soldier... he's going to snipe him... he sniped him.") Just the most inert, emotionally disconnected and unexciting action sequence despite the enormous amount of money spent on it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Saw this movie recently, and really loved it, but why did Sator need to be a domestic abuser? Was that whole sequence with Kat being beaten really necessary to the plot? Disappointed this is a movie I won't be able to watch again with my wife because she found the scene to be unnecessary and terrible. Can't say I blame her.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Important to have that part of Sator's character Ars or else you'd almost agree with his reasoning for using the bombs gah the global warming reasoning is dumb AF.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Android Apocalypse posted:

Important to have that part of Sator's character Ars or else you'd almost agree with his reasoning for using the bombs gah the global warming reasoning is dumb AF.

Not to mention the whole man dying of cancer wants control over his life back thing. Other than the point mentioned upthread there's some empathetic stuff around his motivations.

Definitely lol'd when he hit the railing on his way into the ocean though

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Saw this movie recently, and really loved it, but why did Sator need to be a domestic abuser? Was that whole sequence with Kat being beaten really necessary to the plot? Disappointed this is a movie I won't be able to watch again with my wife because she found the scene to be unnecessary and terrible. Can't say I blame her.

That kind of personality type is often that, unfortunately, and Nolan likes to center grand ideas over personal plots, so...yeah.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Payndz posted:

Jesus, the snow base section of Inception. It wasn't like watching someone else playing Call Of Duty - it felt like having someone describe someone else playing Call Of Duty. ("Oh, there's another soldier... he's going to snipe him... he sniped him.") Just the most inert, emotionally disconnected and unexciting action sequence despite the enormous amount of money spent on it.

Any time someone tries to tell me that movie is great, that's my response. Like my friend, the loving movie stops dead for a Roger Moore 007 setpiece, only with none of the charm that would imply

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

TENET was exactly my vibe and I loved it. A puzzle box, cold spy aesthetic, my boy Robbo P!, Sir Michael confused eating. It really messes with my head a little when I read why a film is dumb when the reasons given are things that I think "Well, yeah, but meh." because it reminds me we can sort of choose to like things more than we pretend to when we type about them on the internet? I don't know. I guess I'm more lenient with plot holes and thin characterization than others but all taste is subjective and its all fine anyway!

Here's a really good explanation of the car chase scene. I found it while trying to figure out where the mcguffin ended up (its just sitting loose in the protags saab he jumps into to start his reverse-time sequence so the presumption is baddie simply collects it in forward time).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5s-nVUjcsQ

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good, Inception is still great fun despite the completely unnecessary snow bit. It executes on the same premise Tenet and most of his films gently caress around with but does the work to bring you along for the ride.

On the other hand, when you need unintentionally hilarious videos like the one posted above to unpack what is otherwise an incoherent mash of car-based activity it doesn't matter how assured the film's swagger is, it's a gently caress up.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Ehhhh the car scene was a hell of a lot better than the Snow Fort.

I like Inception but it desperately needed someone to say "No, this is just dumb" about a couple things.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

This movie was great and I should have expected there would be a subset of goons who don't understand it so that means it's a bad movie.

Edit: Although to be fair I had headphones and was able to understand most of the dialogue despite the terrible mix.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 4, 2020

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Inception: A Tier
Inception, but with added shots of Tom Hardy greenscreen skiing in the cheapest way possible: S Tier.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I love it when movie characters execute elaborate plans with a twist you learn about midway through, the car heist felt like a high-budget Mike scene from Better Call Saul :allears:

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

The weekly planet guys compared Tenet to Dirk Gently, where it's just like, "I dunno, use your intuition. Just go with it.". Especially with the backwards bullets. I thought it was apt.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Windows Movie House will be showing Tenet tomorrow, likely around 10pm EST/7pm PST.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Windows Movie House will be showing Tenet tomorrow, likely around 10pm EST/7pm PST.

what is this

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

D-Pad posted:

This movie was great and I should have expected there would be a subset of goons who don't understand it so that means it's a bad movie.

Edit: Although to be fair I had headphones and was able to understand most of the dialogue despite the terrible mix.

Goons are literally the most predictable children when a good & popular film comes along.

Here's a good video to dissect why the haters are completely wrong,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h9OLCMn_2s

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Goons are literally the most predictable children when a good & popular film comes along.

crybaby simpletons.. obsessed with understanding dialogue.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

The Kingfish posted:

crybaby simpletons.. obsessed with understanding dialogue.

sorry your theater / tv has lovely speakers

go see it in imax or get some decent headphones

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Lmao I actually watched this and it’s uncut cope:

“The protagonist is a well-developed character because he’s brave and puts others before himself.”

“The one lady character is ‘female empowerment done right’ because she stays with her husband instead of abandoning her child.”

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
It literally doesn't say that. I think you need help. Maybe get one of your parents to watch it and explain it to you?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

i just watched it dude, that’s what it says.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

No need to watch it in IMAX we've got all the projection we need in here already.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Please do not announce your inner monologue aloud.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Super Foul Egg posted:

No need to watch it in IMAX we've got all the projection we need in here already.

Lmao

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The reveal was good and not dumb. The problem is only mentioning it at the very end so it's never explored. It's not Sator's reasoning either.

I'm curious which dialogue scenes were unintelligible in theaters. With headphones on I didn't miss any.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 6, 2020

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

The reveal was good and not dumb. The problem is only mentioning it at the very end so it's never explored. It's not Sator's reasoning either.

I'm curious which dialogue scenes were unintelligible in theaters. With headphones on I didn't miss any.

During the yacht racing there were several points where they were talking over the intercom, and depending on what was happening there were bits that I couldn't hear at all.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Groovelord Neato posted:

I didn't miss any dialogue in a 2D screening on a small screen. I think it's a function of the bass being cranked to 11 in bigger theaters

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I liked the repeated the early scene showing refuge from the future war that turned out to be naturally stagnation from environmental/human society collapse and also the emphasis on sending stuff back and forth but intentionally staying in the dark about some of it allowing for repeated, gradual changes to the future to improve the world where single huge actions won't work because it implies that the sator squares that are referenced throughout the movie's names are things sent back to that time period from the future to being the chain reaction of saving the world

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Like a couple goons here, I'm on the side of absolutely hating this movie.
I love Memento and have gradually liked each subsequent Nolan movie a little less than the last, ending with detesting Dunkirk most recently before this.

The characters are not human, they're robots. The dialogue in this movie is some of the most amateurish trash where everyone has the same voice and they just spout Wikipedia entries back and forth to each other. A lot of scenes are "are you familiar with BLANK?" "Oh yes, it is BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH" exposition dump about stuff that doesn't matter and just makes you feel like you need to be keeping notes. Aside from having a character named Arepo so that they can fill out the Sator square, why did we have to hear about the stupid offscreen art forgery stuff?

It really started to seem absurd when the weapons dealer woman explained that in the future, a brilliant scientist came up with a technology and split it into many Horcruxes Macguffins and hid it in the past as a physical algorithm in the form of nuclear material. WHAT?! Why didn't she just destroy it? What the gently caress? Why didn't the heroes destroy it at the end instead of saying that they needed to hide it and then kill themselves?

This movie made me angry from about the 15-minute mark onward until I was filled with rage for Christopher Nolan by the 3/4th mark. I was constantly asking questions at the screen or cursing at it.

I think this is one of the worst movies ever made and reminds me a lot of Southland Tales where an acclaimed director gets given a big budget and goes wayyyyy overboard and up their own rear end.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Beautiful garbage. The Dark Knight Rises times a thousand. The joke is that it's an inverted Bond movie so that explains why John David Washington was playing a character with negative charisma.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I think this movie is too smart for most posters itt

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Saw this last night and it was really bad. It was a series of set pieces with very little interstitial glue. Worst of all-- the action was bad. The inversed fighting looked hilariously silly. I feel like Nolan has gotten too big that no one is willing to tell him the truth.

The final set piece with the red and blue teams was one of the worst large scale action scenes I've ever seen. It was 10 minutes of people running around fighting no one. There was never a single bad guy on screen other than the one Russian henchman P directly confronts in the cage. They had soldiers running blindly shooting at the air and that was the climax of the film. There's gotta be am emperor's new clothes situation for this to have made it out of editing intact.

The plot was typical closed loop time travel stuff, which never makes total sense if you think about it hard enough. The only way closed loop time travel stories work is if you include parallel universes to explain how the loop started, and that gets very convoluted very quickly.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Oh cool, the author of this post is here to tell us what dumdums we are.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Too high brow for these kinds of posters

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

To be fair, so was Southland Tales

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Currently watching this for the first time. Yea, the sound mix is indeed loving terrible.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Megasabin posted:

There was never a single bad guy on screen other than the one Russian henchman P directly confronts in the cage.

This is not correct.

And a closed time loop not making sense while true in the "real world" doesn't affect the quality of a film (unless it doesn't really make sense within the film's logic). The Terminator and Timecrimes are both great movies with closed time loops.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Groovelord Neato posted:

This is not correct.
I know you’re technically correct because yes, there were similarly-dressed mercs in white outfits that were supposed to be the bad guy forces.

However, the point is that they completely blended in with the attacking army and the action was so confusingly portrayed as to render them invisible. There was no tension since we were never given a clear view of the battlefield or what each side was doing.

Even Michael Bay, for all his over the top explosions and non-stop camera swings, has brought much more understandable battle scenes to the screen.