Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I finished The War Throughout the Dungeon (sequel to The City and the Dungeon), and I have to say: ehhhhhhh.

It felt like there wasn't that much adventuring, and mostly there was a lot of politics and relationship stuff, but it was kind of shallow, and the perspectives jump cut too often. There were parts I liked, I guess. I still like that there's this interesting cost to becoming a delver as well as becoming stronger; usually in progression fantasy, there's basically no downside to becoming stronger forever, but here it's like getting on a treadmill + bomb combo, where if you ever get off you die. But overall it felt like a weak entry to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Captain Monkey posted:

Yeah, it’s Dakota Krout.

I like Krout, and I liked Something. But I also treat my real diet like my literary diet and I weigh way too much so I guess thats why.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dakota Krout is balanced on the knife's edge between garbage and entertaining garbage. Anyway I read that new one and it was eh. At least this time for a litrpg novel it seems to be on purpose that every character is a demigod.

I also read The Sigilist by Andrew Karevik, and the most positive thing I can really say is that I didnt instantly return it after about 20 pages like his other books. CivCEO was so egregiously bad it turned me off of KU for weeks.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I do feel like Something lacked in the fact that theres basically no plot or the story is so obscured that I have no idea what is going on because almost none of the book takes place in the world where the actual plot is happening.

Edit: Also it is a Rothfuss level story within a story but neither story is incredibly engaging. Mostly the murderhobo's story is slapstick comedy masquerading depression and insanity while the druid's is kind of boring and the mage's is like super annoyingly arch and the Bard's story is actually nonexistant as someone mentioned earlier.

I also just finished reading Artorian's Archives which was fun but really slow paced. I'm pretty sure there might be a 6th book on the way that will complete the bridge between the end of The Divine Dungeon series and the start of the Completionist Chronicles. Book 4 ends with the locals moving into the world in CC and book 5 gets us most of the way there, but theres still a tiny bit of backstory left unexplained that Krout and the other author could totally reveal haha.

Victorkm fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 17, 2020

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
haha the pretty talented lady had to piss her pants to learn magic, haha what would that smell like I wonder, haha, just hypothetically, haha

- dakota krout, murderhobo.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

navyjack posted:

Just finished the most recent book in the Respawn Series by Arthur Stone. I have a weird relationship with these books because I really like them and I know I shouldn’t.

I just read them all thanks to your req. I would have to agree.
I also liked the zombie parts, how the zombies mutate and advance was nice. And he handled it pretty well with how at the start the basic zombies were a bit of a challenge and the advanced ones were super nightmares. I like the crazy evolved zombies, I get bored when the zombie books all just boil down to other people being the real monsters.

Only thing bad was how aggressively stupid the main character was at the start.
I think it had an exchange like this about 3 different times.

-Main Character is doing something obviously stupid.
Old Veteran sees this and says: Hey there moron, you are doing it all wrong, I've been in this crazy world for years, and I've learned three things to help you survive, the first is to always...
MC: gently caress you rear end in a top hat, who are you to call me a moron!@!!@!

I think the author realized this, because in a later book he finds out that he is actually stupid/brain damaged until he gets to level 10.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol in general.

i read the second beastborne book and pyresouls. beastborne continued to be aggressively OK. pyresouls is really bad. not because it's bad on a technical level or boring, but because it falls into the litrpg trap of 'why are there even numbers to talk about' because whenever it might be a problem, it turns out that actually it wasnt. just write a fantasy novel coward. also it's literally just dark souls mixed with the plot of ten monkeys or whatever.

in general it feels like the author played dark souls 3 and got to the hollows that transform into slimebois and then went I MUST write about this. it even has a location that is basically karthus catacombs, down to traps and endless waves of respawning skeletons.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

ianmacdo posted:

I like the crazy evolved zombies, I get bored when the zombie books all just boil down to other people being the real monsters.

Zombie media devolve into this or have gimmick zombies because if they didn't it would become rapidly apparent that the surviors could likely kill off most zombies on the planet in something like 1-2 years.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Finished book one of Superpowereds. It's good! Solid superhero school stuff, not strict progression fantasy in terms of levels and whatnot, kind of leaning that way, but more focus on the characters and relationships.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Cicero posted:

Finished book one of Superpowereds. It's good! Solid superhero school stuff, not strict progression fantasy in terms of levels and whatnot, kind of leaning that way, but more focus on the characters and relationships.

Yeah, it was a good book. I also enjoyed Forging Hephaestus by the same author.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Megazver posted:

Yeah, it was a good book. I also enjoyed Forging Hephaestus by the same author.

Forging was a good time, it is also getting a sequel this month.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

MadHat posted:

Forging was a good time, it is also getting a sequel this month.

gently caress yeah, Forging Hephaestus was so rad, and Super Powereds is long but really good IMO.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I read the first 3 books of Super Powereds and the spin off Corpies back when it was all still a web serial and liked it pretty well, but there were some issues with the world building that drove me nuts.

I apologize if the numbers are wrong, but IIRC there are 5 Hero programs that each spit out 10 Heroes a year' for a total of 50. The Hero program has existed for like 40 years, so that is a total of 2000 heroes, many of whom are dead or retired. Let’s assume 1000 total active heroes. So how are there like 5 hero teams in the small city in Corpies? They call it a minor league sports city, but it is also home to like 2-5% of the active American hero population? I dunno, it felt weird at the time.

Also, why aren’t there more villains? These Hero programs (again IIRC) fully train 20 students but then only graduate 10. How are more of these fully trained teenagers who were then banned from ever using their powers not clapping back at the system that spurned them? Instead, you basically only get miscellaneous untrained gang members or Globe’s terrorist cell, and that’s it. It feels like there should be more specifically anti-Hero villains who actually have training.

Anyways, just some random thoughts. I remember liking the series, the only reason I didn’t finish is because I caught up to live and he was a relatively slow serial publisher. Glad to see it thriving on KU, didn’t realize he had published it.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I like Superpowereds for relatively realistically depicting college life/drama. Like, most series either way undershoot or overshoot the amount of stupidity and relationship issues that happen, but Superpowereds struck one of the most realistic tones I've read in that regard. Weird thing to like about a superhero story, I guess, but there you go.

Of course, that's all specific to my life and experiences, etc., your mileage may very wildly.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

John Lee posted:

I like Superpowereds for relatively realistically depicting college life/drama. Like, most series either way undershoot or overshoot the amount of stupidity and relationship issues that happen, but Superpowereds struck one of the most realistic tones I've read in that regard. Weird thing to like about a superhero story, I guess, but there you go.
Agreed. But then again I went to BYU so what the gently caress do I know

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I'm sort of enjoying The Dungeon Slayer. Book 1 was the typical sadsack gets the ability to level up and overcomes his self esteem issues, and book 2 releases this Sunday. Not really any creepiness unless I glossed over it (I kinda skimthese books when I get tired) and it's otherwise just a serviceable progression fantasy.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I laughed out loud reading that description. I felt the same way reading God of Gnomes.

Kindle Unlimited Trench: The Low Standards Thread

Or how about

Kindle Unlimited Trench: Low Prices, Lower Standards

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I've been enjoying CivCEO, a LitRPG 4X. It's competent, and the main character fucks up a bunch because of their values as a boomer businessman, but it doesn't get too stuck in the weeds of dumbass stats, other than using a few higher concept videogame abstractions and modifiers. Definitely nothing special, but a good easy read.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

The Kindle Unlimited Well: Pick up a shovel and start digging.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
God of Gnomes was extremely readable especially if you play a bunch of DF.

CivCEO i read maybe 10 pages and then dropped.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Silynt posted:

I apologize if the numbers are wrong, but IIRC there are 5 Hero programs that each spit out 10 Heroes a year' for a total of 50. The Hero program has existed for like 40 years, so that is a total of 2000 heroes, many of whom are dead or retired. Let’s assume 1000 total active heroes. So how are there like 5 hero teams in the small city in Corpies? They call it a minor league sports city, but it is also home to like 2-5% of the active American hero population? I dunno, it felt weird at the time.

I think this was explained away sometime during the series as it having to do with hero activity being mostly concentrated in its own areas, so there aren't really heroes everywhere but where there are heroes there are either only like 1 or there are multiples. When there is an issue requiring Heros off the beaten path they bring in Mr. Transport or similar to handle the logistics.

As for your other issue, I think most people who fail out of the hero program either are allowed to try again next year, or get snapped up by The Company or whatever the shady shadowy organization that employs Mr. Transport and Mr. Numbers or whatever their names were, for obscene salary if they have a really useful power. If not that organization theres probably many more that have some sort of use for powered folks like the vegas crime families or the super powered sports teams that try to recruit the failing seniors each year. Even then, anyone who leaves the program I believe gets at least some portion of what they learned erased from their brain. When Nick was ejected from the program for tricking Vince into going all out before he failed out, they erased EVERYTHING and he was back to being the guy who originally enrolled at Landry.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Victorkm posted:

the vegas crime families or the super powered sports teams that try to recruit the failing seniors each year. Even then, anyone who leaves the program I believe gets at least some portion of what they learned erased from their brain. When Nick was ejected from the program for tricking Vince into going all out before he failed out, they erased EVERYTHING and he was back to being the guy who originally enrolled at Landry.

Mind wipes. That's how you can tell they're the good guys.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cicero posted:

I laughed out loud reading that description. I felt the same way reading God of Gnomes.

Kindle Unlimited Trench: The Low Standards Thread

Or how about

Kindle Unlimited Trench: Low Prices, Lower Standards

Look, I read Drizzt and Star Wars EU, I'm not letting a silly thing like 'standards' prevent me from staring at mediocre fiction 6 hours a day. Also how else am I gonna smugly reply 'I read like 4 books a week' when someone asks me what I do with my time???

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Captain Monkey posted:

Look, I read Drizzt and Star Wars EU, I'm not letting a silly thing like 'standards' prevent me from staring at mediocre fiction 6 hours a day. Also how else am I gonna smugly reply 'I read like 4 books a week' when someone asks me what I do with my time???

The bad part is the follow up question where the true answer is "Oh, the worst trash possible, really..."

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Victorkm posted:

The bad part is the follow up question where the true answer is "Oh, the worst trash possible, really..."

*sniffs* You almost certainly haven’t heard of them.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I've been enjoying CivCEO, a LitRPG 4X. It's competent, and the main character fucks up a bunch because of their values as a boomer businessman, but it doesn't get too stuck in the weeds of dumbass stats, other than using a few higher concept videogame abstractions and modifiers. Definitely nothing special, but a good easy read.

That sounded interesting, so I googled it, ended up on the US amazon page, hit the "UK kindle store" link, and the closest match it could offer was "Femdom & Extreme BDSM : A Night to Remember, A Life Dismantled ([A 15,700 word explicit extreme-bdsm erotica])". The second closest was "Philips Hue White Single Smart Bulb LED [B22 Bayonet Cap] 100 W with Bluetooth, Works with Alexa, Google Assistant and Apple HomeKit". So, uh, thanks amazon.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Thus your writing empire was born, amidst the smart lights and the chains.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

That sounded interesting, so I googled it, ended up on the US amazon page, hit the "UK kindle store" link, and the closest match it could offer was "Femdom & Extreme BDSM : A Night to Remember, A Life Dismantled ([A 15,700 word explicit extreme-bdsm erotica])". The second closest was "Philips Hue White Single Smart Bulb LED [B22 Bayonet Cap] 100 W with Bluetooth, Works with Alexa, Google Assistant and Apple HomeKit". So, uh, thanks amazon.

That’s loving hilarious. I’m in the UK, so it should show up fine. Try this link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/CivCEO-Lit-Accidental-Champion-Book-ebook/dp/B07YRTVLMZ

I’ve read more of it, it remains very shallow, but it doesn’t do any of the bad poo poo at all thus far.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

LLSix posted:

Mind wipes. That's how you can tell they're the good guys.

Mujahajajjaa oh uhh hello children

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Oh hey new thread title.

Finished book 3 in Superpowereds. It's still good. Think I'm gonna take a break from the series for a bit by reading the new entry in Arcane Ascension (aka "The Sufficiently Advanced Magic series"), The Torch That Ignites The Stars. Took a long time to get here; Rowe seems to like jumping around between series a lot.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Cicero posted:

Oh hey new thread title.

Finished book 3 in Superpowereds. It's still good. Think I'm gonna take a break from the series for a bit by reading the new entry in Arcane Ascension (aka "The Sufficiently Advanced Magic series"), The Torch That Ignites The Stars. Took a long time to get here; Rowe seems to like jumping around between series a lot.

The War of Broken Mirrors was pretty good at least. The first book was a bit of a slow burn but the other two kicked into high gear. I really liked the first two Weapons and Wielders books as well.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Has anyone tried Audible Plus? Does it sync with the Kindle Unlimited books because I'd be into that.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Drew Hayes's "Forging Hephaestus" sequel is out: https://www.amazon.com/Bones-Past-Villains-Code-Book-ebook/dp/B08PMJ754Z

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Unlike the first one, it's not on Kindle Unlimited though

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I finished The Torch that Ignites the Stars (Arcane Ascension 3). It was fine.

This one in particular felt kind of like the Navani chapters from Rhythm of War, except as basically the only viewpoint character, instead of one among several. While I enjoyed it for what it was, it nonetheless felt very...sedate. Not much in the way of a big climax, and the progression was certainly...different.

The progression in terms of power was very limited, instead it felt like it was knowledge-based. Which isn't a huge problem, except that it didn't feel like Corin got to meaningfully use said progression.

Overall, almost felt like a book-sized interlude. And I wouldn't mind that too much, except that Rowe seems to really like jumping between different series, so unlike Cradle I'll probably have to wait at least a year for the next one, if not two.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I finished Bones of the Past, it was good. I’ve enjoyed that whole series, thanks for the heads up whoever recommended it. Does anyone else feel like the author is setting up a Young Ivan prequel series? The bait-like stories of him fighting in a Galactic tournament and getting summoned to another world felt like set-ups for a spin off. I’d definitely read those books.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I read the first Bobiverse book and... drat. The premise is pretty cool. It's a shame the main character is a total dweeb. I lost count of how many times he says something and another one laughs and I go "why is he laughing? That's hardly even a joke." and all the stupid names being from his favorite TV shows and poo poo.. ugh.

also he pulls the last remaining enclave of the religious fascist order off earth in the first 3 of 1500 trips :waycool:

I'd love to see this premise in the hands of a capable author.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The audiobook for that one is really impressive. I think it gets better, but you kinda have to embrace the dweebiness.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

TheAardvark posted:

This was my take of the entire bobiverse series.

There's some cool ideas, none of which are explored. There's so much meat around "Clones developing in different directions", "What happens when clones change so much they're on opposite sides of an issue", and "Is making dumbed down intelligences for custom/menial tasks still valid, human, or ethical" - I'd even have taken exploration of pros/cons of resource-intensive active duplication versus short term defense, but all these topics get just passing mention.

Also, hard pass on every "natives" chapter.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

TheAardvark posted:

:yeah: