Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

large crowds of people confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Back Hack posted:

To be fair, Division‘s enemies ARE bullet sponge-y to extreme, even by looter games standards. On top of the devs caving to the chuds by balancing the whole game around a couple min/maxed gimmicks builds to point using anything else makes the game the game an unfun slog.

The Division problem is that is a slow and tedious static cover shooter, that accentuates the bullet sponginess. Look at Doom, most enemies are bullet spongey too, but it doesn't matter because you can do circles around them. So taking in account CP2077 is a FPS, I don't think it will feel like The Division.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I said come in! posted:

large crowds of people confirmed.

It seems there are large crows in specific pedestrian streets, markets, etc. But it's true the sidewalks are mostly empty when you drive in the roads.

edit: then again there is no game with realistic crowds in an open world. CP is just one more.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 6, 2020

ufarn
May 30, 2009
FPSRPGs are gonna have bullet sponge enemies, it's the only way to really design the games without breaking everything. Every goon knows what it's like to just min-max pistols and headshot everyone in other modern RPGs when this isn't dealt with.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

Apparently one of the main quest designers for Cyberpunk was also responsible for designing the Rome section in AP. So that's pretty exciting to me, a loser who has replayed Alpha Protocol at least a dozen times.

AP is fuckin amazing and if playing it through a dozen times makes me a loser gently caress it I’ll take that title.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

these journalists sure do know how to stoke peoples' emotions and whip them into a frenzy by selectively focusing on controversial topics

almost like it's specifically their job to elicit this response

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ufarn posted:

Ubisoft DRM is also a huge performance headache, and I imagine they don't have to pull that garbo on consoles.

I think this has largely been proven to be a myth by Digital Foundry themselves. DRM might have a performance impact at extremely implausible CPU-limited scenarios, but most of the PC port's problems are due to just plain laziness.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

sean10mm posted:

You're being wierdly literal, a bunch of the promotional material has featured footage of doing shots, taking pills and what looks like scenes in a strip club.

I'm not the guy Big Mad about those things but they're definitely there

Yeah there's scenes of you shooting people and there's like a half a second clip of you doing drugs in-between everything else, but the marketing is not pushing this as "DO DRUGS GET LAID" the game. That's misrepresenting it.

The advertising is "this world is you playground" with quick clips of lots of things, including drugs and jacking cars and driving around and shooting people; aka things you do in a videogame.

There hasn't been any loving in the commercials because they're commercials.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rap music posted:

these journalists sure do know how to stoke peoples' emotions and whip them into a frenzy by selectively focusing on controversial topics

almost like it's specifically their job to elicit this response

The funny thing is good luck doing it. Yeah you can get a certain small group to lose their heads, but in this news cycle...you’re not going to generate widespread controversy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ufarn posted:

FPSRPGs are gonna have bullet sponge enemies, it's the only way to really design the games without breaking everything. Every goon knows what it's like to just min-max pistols and headshot everyone in other modern RPGs when this isn't dealt with.

Nah this is wrong. That's a total cop-out.

And it took them like 6 years but Bungie has learned this the hard way. Destiny 1 was all bullet sponges of the worst kind originally (loving Valus Ta'aurec had like 50M hit points and took like 15 minutes of constant gunfire to kill)
The modern fight encounters in Destiny 2 have none of that at all.

Designing FPSRPG enemies without bullet-sponges is work though, and most people aren't prepared for how much harder it is compared to just implementing a basic FPS which is super super easy in modern engines.

The short answer is: Just spawn more mooks. But the long answer is give the tougher enemies strategy and things the player can do that aren't A) wait or B) shoot them for 15 minutes. But there's A LOT of things you can do.

Look at Doom, both the old Doom 1/2 games enemies and the newer Doom 4 / Doom Eternal, even the "tough" enemies barely count as bullet-sponges. Its more about having to manage all their different attacks and keep moving around the room so the sheer quantity of enemies doesn't entrap you.

All that said, the combat isn't even the biggest part of Cyberpunk 2077 so it'll be fine.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I want to start downloading already, come on CDPR, let us PC fans begin the process already.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

There's a LOT of misinformation bouncing around about this game now as people get desperate for clicks.

And the amount of trolling the game is getting is simply astounding. Big games always have some, but I've never seen anything like this.

I've seen today someone calling an attack animation 'clunky' ...while it clearly was a mocapped animation done by a real human. It could be argued the animation is too long and it was easily avoidable, but from that to 'clunky'...

I've seen someone saying GTA in the 360 looked better than CP in Xbox. Holy hyperbole (and rose tinted glasses)

I've seen today too people complain of the melee combat, why it can't be as good as Demon's Souls. Yeah, great choice comparing a rpg with stealth, hacking, interactive story, vehicles, etc with a game that almost only does melee combat. I've seen people complain of the enemy reaction to the hits, despite them being varied and always in the appropriate direction of the hit, better than melee in most first person games.
I've seen another guy say that Ghostrunner have better melee combat, putting gifs to show it... except Ghostrunner 'combat' consists on clicking one button and cutting in half everyone. Maybe that works for a game like Ghostrunner and it doesn't... in basically any other style of game?

etc

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 6, 2020

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Last Call posted:

I want to start downloading already, come on CDPR, let us PC fans begin the process already.

Hey you still get it unlocked a few hours earlier then those on consoles....that said there still isn’t a way to do VPN unlock tricks on Xbox Series X, right?

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

from the leaked combat footage they didn't seem spongy but I didn't see any boss fights vs bad guys with bulletproof skin or whatever

also stealth kills were literally one shotting enemies so I wouldn't worry about it too much

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Turin Turambar posted:

The Division problem is that is a slow and tedious static cover shooter, that accentuates the bullet sponginess. Look at Doom, most enemies are bullet spongey too, but it doesn't matter because you can do circles around them. So taking in account CP2077 is a FPS, I don't think it will feel like The Division.

I know it's nitpicky but 2077 isn't an FPS. It's in first person and it has shooting in it but that's not the focus of the game. In an RPG and looks like it'll play more like vampire masquerade than deus ex.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I'm gonna pick penis 2 and be a stealth archer.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Ice Phisherman posted:

I'm gonna pick penis 2 and be a stealth archer.

you'll be missing out on some good synergies with penis 1 and the stealth tree but you do you man

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I know it's nitpicky but 2077 isn't an FPS. It's in first person and it has shooting in it but that's not the focus of the game. In an RPG and looks like it'll play more like vampire masquerade than deus ex.

I know, but we are talking specifically of combat mechanics.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

you'll be missing out on some good synergies with penis 1 and the stealth tree but you do you man

Penis 1 locks you out of some late game content.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Turin Turambar posted:

And the amount of trolling the game is getting is simply astounding. Big games always have some, but I've never seen anything like this.

I've seen today someone calling an attack animation 'clunky' ...while it clearly was a mocapped animation done by a real human. It could be argued the animation is too long and it was easily avoidable, but from that to 'clunky'...

I've seen someone saying GTA in the 360 looked better than in Xbox. Holy hyperbole (and rose tinted glasses)

I've seen today too people complain of the melee combat, why it can't be as good as Demon's Souls. Yeah, great choice comparing a rpg with stealth, hacking, interactive story, vehicles, etc with a game that almost only does melee combat. I've seen people complain of the enemy reaction to the hits, despite them being varied and always in the appropriate direction of the hit, better than melee in most first person games.
I've seen another guy say that Ghostrunner have better melee combat, putting gifs to show it... except Ghostrunner 'combat' consists on clicking one button and cutting in half everyone. Maybe that works for a game like Ghostrunner and it doesn't... in basically any other style of game?

etc

The level of hype for this combined with the fact that it's just a video game makes it the easiest thing in the world to make fun of.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Sigh, more misinformation. You only get the invisibility bonuses by picking bisexual romance options

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
That PS5 bartender clip looked awesome. Everything I have seen so far confirms that this is just a giant Deus Ex game and i couldn't be more excited.

Now if only I could find a PS5 for retail price. Has there been any leaked gameplay showing performance on a PS4 Pro? I saw what they released officially but I'm curious to see something that isn't curated.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

cheesetriangles posted:

Penis 1 locks you out of some late game content.

The trick is to run penis 2 until the late game and then do an upgrade to penis 1. Each of the testicles on penis 1 have gem sockets. One for each testicle. Pro strat is to run three sockets after you get the extra testicle upgrade. Technically you can get a fourth gem socket, but your run speed goes waaaaaay down. Wouldn't suggest it.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

weg posted:

That PS5 bartender clip looked awesome. Everything I have seen so far confirms that this is just a giant Deus Ex game and i couldn't be more excited.

Now if only I could find a PS5 for retail price. Has there been any leaked gameplay showing performance on a PS4 Pro? I saw what they released officially but I'm curious to see something that isn't curated.

Looks pretty much the same as ps5 but with around 30fps instead of 60 from what I've seen

Wet Fifty
Dec 6, 2005

Greetings from the inner-
city, high-humidity, ass
and titty bar.

Turin Turambar posted:

I've seen someone saying GTA in the 360 looked better than CP in Xbox. Holy hyperbole (and rose tinted glasses)

etc

https://twitter.com/i/status/1335324065935011840

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

rap music posted:

Looks pretty much the same as ps5 but with around 30fps instead of 60 from what I've seen

That's about what I expected. I had heard there was a 60fps performance mode on Pro but maybe I misheard that and its actually on 5?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Ice Phisherman posted:

The trick is to run penis 2 until the late game and then do an upgrade to penis 1. Each of the testicles on penis 1 have gem sockets. One for each testicle. Pro strat is to run three sockets after you get the extra testicle upgrade. Technically you can get a fourth gem socket, but your run speed goes waaaaaay down. Wouldn't suggest it.

You can combat the speed loss with some haste stims. They are expensive though so maybe save them for boss fights. They also have a long cool down.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I expect a lot of hot takes on the game, that was always bound to happen. It's the hot new thing and the game of 2020. People are going to want to talk about it and some are going to have issues with it, drink, go to strip clubs, wow. How edgy is that they'll say despite the fact this poo poo has been in games for years now, GTA anyone and they'll give that game a nine out of ten every time because you know they will and do. But in Cyberpunk 2077 it's a big new controversial thing somehow, someone alert Jack Thompson and protect the poor children.

I'm sure they wrote some vigorous post about how wrong in Blade Runner 2049 the big nude hologram was, did you see that, TITS.

American really has the stupidest hang ups with sex and drugs, EDGY. Blowing peoples skulls off or slice and dicing them, sure that's fine. Pew pew.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So this is kind off topic, but can anyone recommend a PDF reader? I got the Humble Bundle of all the lore books and trying to read them on my phone is making my eyes want to bleed. I keep thinking Kindle Paperwaite, and it seems to even handle scanned stuff well, but at the same time, would things originally in color display poorly?

Sorry I just figured this is as good a place to ask as any.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

This game is going to be huge lmao. No game that stirs this much poo poo pre-release fails in the least.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So this is kind off topic, but can anyone recommend a PDF reader? I got the Humble Bundle of all the lore books and trying to read them on my phone is making my eyes want to bleed. I keep thinking Kindle Paperwaite, and it seems to even handle scanned stuff well, but at the same time, would things originally in color display poorly?

Sorry I just figured this is as good a place to ask as any.

I use SumatraPDF

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Quit getting mad about video games titties.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Blue Raider posted:

This game is going to be huge lmao. No game that stirs this much poo poo pre-release fails in the least.
Some AAA games are too big to fail, regardless of their actual quality

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Blue Raider posted:

Yeah, I don't think any game has stirred this much poo poo ever, but on the other hand, the normal paths of stirring hype in physical space are hosed due to the pandemic. So it's possible that they're stirring poo poo because there's only one poo poo bucket and one poo poo spoon and if they can't stir the other buckets then they'll just stir this one enthusiastically because it's all they've got.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Naw, a lot of games have around this much poo poo stirring. gently caress, just THIS YEAR The Last Of Us 2 had an absurd amount of it, especially when the leaks started flowing.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Harlock posted:

Some AAA games are too big to fail, regardless of their actual quality

Yeah the game is going to sell like crazy. It's launching right before Christmas, has a huge marketing budget, and has been building hype for years now. It'll make CDPR plenty of money. The real question is whether or not it's going to have a long tail and be something people are still talking about years from now like Witcher 3 or Fallout New Vegas, or if it's going to be a disappointment that everyone moves on from as soon as the next shiny thing comes out.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
the first project meeting for every single CDPR game

CREATIVE DIRECTOR: first thing I want to do is go around the table and have everyone describe what core concepts they'd like the game to explore. Let's see... drunk npc that wandered around the Vizima slums in the first Witcher game, why don't you go first?

DRUNK NPC: *stands up, clears throat, does imagination hands* AHM HORNAY!

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

Vorik posted:

I'm sorry video game titties are more important to you than marginalized folks feeling unsafe at the widespread male gaze, transphobia and sexism proudly on display in this video game, gamer.

? dont play the game

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

The level of hype for this combined with the fact that it's just a video game makes it the easiest thing in the world to make fun of.

I think this is a really weird toxic thing that's happened lately in games. On the one hand you have people who act like because of "the hype" they're owed a better game. On the other hand you have people who feel like because of "the hype" its their duty to poo poo all over a game.

Can we just let people be excited to have a good videogame in their lives?

It is kinda the entire point of this sub, a place to talk about videogames. Honestly I think discussions about "gamers" and not games shouldn't belong in this sub, those arguments would be better in D&D or CSPAM or something.

Not that you're one of those people making fun of cyberpunk but its just... the signal to noise ratio of major game releases like this gets really, really poor. It becomes endless bickering about what some other nerd might think and that drowns out the actual discussion of like, hey man, this is neato videogame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSJ8tvdM-FM