Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Is this or is this not allowed?

Discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Vorik posted:

Is this or is this not allowed?

Discuss.

I bet you look like a goat

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
It's not allowed, unless you are 1) making fun of a number of other posters instead of just one specific poster, OR 2) you have posted in the thread about something else already.

Edit: Also, if the thing you're making fun of them for happened more than a year ago, the punishment is a ban.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Always check the postcount. If they have a negative postcount you can say whatever vile poo poo you want about them, sometimes with staff encouragement.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I don't know, why don't you ask your 2014 reg date?!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
there are a lot of incredibly stupid and petty moderators on this site who take mild and 100% accurate criticisms of their online friends more seriously they do death threats, advising others to commit murder, etc. not going to direct this to anyone in particular, per the rules of this forum

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

If you are going to arbitrarily decide that you aren’t tolerating making fun of a hypothetical other users for hypothetically extremely embarrassing past and hypothetically pathetic behavior, then the appropriate action is to warn people about that or probe them, not to just ban them without warning after already probing them twice.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

making fun of users? I got one:

quote:

It's been a year. Stop following him around like a helldumpy little shadow.

quote:

Hi mods, please ban me you bootlicking thugs!

I love CSPAM and because of that I'm doing my best to save it from the completely lovely junkyard that it sprang from before the literal child-brained owner flushes either the community here, or the entire website down the toilet

the events that occurred on the night of the stream with the "livebans" were really beyond the pale and basically killed any appetite I had to post here or spend money here, at the behest of a nazi chud peanut gallery, a man in his 40's banned some of my favorite people from their favorite place and seriously upset them, if you can countenance that poo poo, be my guest

i've been workin' hard (thank you!) to capture as many disaffected, displaced and banned posters as I can, and have literally hundreds trickling into the new hotness.

so come check us out!
https://breadnroses.club/register/

if you register with your SA account name, I can track you down and approve you (we're doing manual approvals for now) and you can come check out the new joint, which despite being a work in progress is already REALLY loving solid.

if you can't be bothered, or if all of this is "dumb online bullshit" or you don't care, then I bid you good posting friend, it was nice making content with you!

hasta siempre,
Smarxist

That banme deserves to get made fun of; in fact, i think it should be a yearly tradition here. As newly appointed admin, I hear by deem this an acceptable "hELLdUmP" and should be pinned on SA's fridge of shame.
Also free Bloom, and ban squizle, hoopty hoop smoke weed everyday

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I feel really unsafe now. Yikesaroo. I'm glad those guys got punished but it's really disheartening to see how doxxing and stalxxing are tolerated around here. But I guess we can't have nice things. Sigh...

buffalo all day posted:

If you are going to arbitrarily decide that you aren’t tolerating making fun of a hypothetical other users for hypothetically extremely embarrassing past and hypothetically pathetic behavior, then the appropriate action is to warn people about that or probe them, not to just ban them without warning after already probing them twice.

Seriously, this.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Professor of Cats posted:

making fun of users? I got one:

That banme deserves to get made fun of; in fact, i think it should be a yearly tradition here. As newly appointed admin, I hear by deem this an acceptable "hELLdUmP" and should be pinned on SA's fridge of shame.
Also free Bloom, and ban squizle, hoopty hoop smoke weed everyday

So you've never posted in this thread before, you're targeting a single poster, and you're making fun of them for something that happened a year ago. Enjoy your ban.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I think the main reason this looks so bad is smarxist was posting about posters and received no punishment. It’s ok if you do it this way but not THAT way!

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002
Forums can become insular, and mods/iks miss or overlook the things they've become accustomed to. Being made fun of by a separate group is sometimes the only way someone threatening murderous intent towards others can be brought to light, as an example.

It should be considered a service, but left to those who are good at it.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
EasilyConfused's secret method for an enjoyable forums experience Trolls hate him!

1. Try not to post dumb poo poo
2. When you do post dumb poo poo, don't be offended when someone calls you on it
3. If you ever get upset about somebody making fun of you, realize that you are talking the forums too seriously

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
gently caress the mods

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Glad we're back to the low carb thread era of somethingawful.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you post sufficiently embarrassing poo poo you become immune to probation, like in that thread that got closed and then twelve hours later a dumbass piece of poo poo mod went through and probated basically everyone except the op and smarxist, just as a recent example, totally unrelated

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't know which is the right thread to post in but the bans are stupid.

Edit: Also the people with violent murder fantasies should be permabanned.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 6, 2020

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My extremely helpful answer is that it depends.

My other extremely helpful answer is that if you go into a forum you are subject to the whims of that forum's moderation team. Sometimes that means being chain-probated, sometimes that means being banned, and sometimes that means having other people point and laugh right alongside you.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I can't imagine any user of these forums wanting to make fun of another user for any reason whatsoever.

Utterly inconceivable.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Imagine if mods banned someone everytime they posted paradolex.txt

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

free bloom, gently caress da mods

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

docbeard posted:

My other extremely helpful answer is that if you go into a forum you are subject to the whims of that forum's moderation team. Sometimes that means being chain-probated, sometimes that means being banned, and sometimes that means having other people point and laugh right alongside you.

I doxxed this mod by glancing at his post history and it all makes sense now

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
These passive aggressive threads really blow. Just state what your actual issue is, OP.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Crane Fist posted:

If you post sufficiently embarrassing poo poo you become immune to probation, like in that thread that got closed and then twelve hours later a dumbass piece of poo poo mod went through and probated basically everyone except the op and smarxist, just as a recent example, totally unrelated

bro i get probed *constantly* please calm down about perceived slights.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
would like to bring it to people's attention out that years ago fyad moderator Jack Daniels drank some beers and ate a sandwich which caused his farts to be extremely stinky, as evidenced by his post:

Jack Daniels posted:

ololll huge extra lagrge Philly Cheese Steak + double meat & cheesae PLUS Bacon .....gulped down w/ some IPA beers. yeah the farts *JUST* started rollling in but they literellya smell like wierd stinky cheese poop lol

i don't have the link but there were also other farts from around that time that had such an iconic stench that his children gave a name to them ("Fresh Eggs")

I make these claims fully understanding that I may get banned for them, under the "no making fun of things from over a year ago" clause, which is enforced evenly and without bias by the moderation team

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

docbeard posted:

Are you saying that the FYAD mods are allowed to ban anyone who posts in FYAD for any reason, or is there still a threshold that must be passed before a ban is justified?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

Are you saying that the FYAD mods are allowed to ban anyone who posts in FYAD for any reason, or is there still a threshold that must be passed before a ban is justified?

Unfortunately this is a one way street since I tried banning several of borktrons alts when I was IK and none of them were accepted.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

buffalo all day posted:

what prob happened is they just got tired of seeing reports from the same crew over and over, and this it is extremely funny because bloom is 100% not the guy whose posted the smarxist post the most lol. might have even been his first time & he got left holding the bag.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

we are literally going back to this point lol

it's absolutely illegal to make fun of the weird epic c-spam offsite where like the entire modteam turned out to be sexpests and everybody made dramatic exit posts from SA to go post on.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

docbeard posted:

I don’t think you have thought this answer through, but I’m happy to queue up a few bans and test it out.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

scary ghost dog posted:

all moderator actions are the same thing and completely equivocal therefore a justified chain probe here is the same as a thin skinned vendetta ban over there. I am very smart

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
letting mods run subforums as their own arbitrary feifdoms is a good idea and makes for a great website

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

bro i get probed *constantly* please calm down about perceived slights.

Of course the furry apology guy is in favour of bans for bringing up people's insanely embarrassing past posts

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

buffalo all day posted:

I don't think you have thought this answer through, but I'm happy to queue up a few bans and test it out.

On December 6, 2020, the ban wars began.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Crane Fist posted:

Of course the furry apology guy is in favour of bans for bringing up people's insanely embarrassing past posts

that's the opposite of my point but i guess your tantrum is self-powered by now.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
free bloom you loving morons. gently caress squizzle and Thanos. Y'all have learned nothing

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

Ibram Gaunt posted:

2011 is back and we're allowed to play LMFAO and taio cruz unironically at parties again. you know what to do fellas :cool:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm still reading the cspam thread for full context, so I'll speak in general since clearly this thread is totally not about that.

Had someone brought up something they previously did in an unrelated conversation to own them I would probe them.

Though, had the OP getting owned been basically baiting people to do it, then I would probe them and ask that people stop giving them attention after the first "round" of owning.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Roth posted:

I'm still reading the cspam thread for full context, so I'll speak in general since clearly this thread is totally not about that.

Had someone brought up something they previously did in an unrelated conversation to own them I would probe them.

Though, had the OP getting owned been basically baiting people to do it, then I would probe them and ask that people stop giving them attention after the first "round" of owning.

Would you ban them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

scary ghost dog posted:

Would you ban them?

I clearly wrote probe for a reason.