Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

as a general comment on SA moderation strategy; instead of doubling down on every transparently idiotic decision until you're dragged, kicking and screaming into reversing it, why not try not doing that, for once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

Are you saying that the FYAD mods are allowed to ban anyone who posts in FYAD for any reason, or is there still a threshold that must be passed before a ban is justified?

I think there's room for a conversation about when and how bans or other moderation actions are justified, certainly.

But I'm pretty sure "I am immune to moderation because I am here to make fun of someone" is never going to be forums policy

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

little munchkin posted:

would like to bring it to people's attention out that years ago fyad moderator Jack Daniels drank some beers and ate a sandwich which caused his farts to be extremely stinky, as evidenced by his post:

i don't have the link but there were also other farts from around that time that had such an iconic stench that his children gave a name to them ("Fresh Eggs")

I make these claims fully understanding that I may get banned for them, under the "no making fun of things from over a year ago" clause, which is enforced evenly and without bias by the moderation team

update:

Jack Daniels posted:

lol past few days daughter has named my farts "Fresh Eggs"

Jack Daniels posted:

fresh eggs up in here

sorry if this counts of doxxing but there's even more damning stuff:

Jack Daniels posted:

korean BBQ tacos.... both me AND the wife had stinky rear end farts.
if the wifes farts were stinky.... then you gotta know that mine were atomic death farts :stare:

so nasty lmfao :xd:

Jack Daniels posted:

mmmm mah stomach kinda giruggling rly weird too...like diaraeeah (liquid poop juice) is stiurring down there. migth have something to do with this weird pizza I ate yeaterday for lunch and then had alisce this morning for late-breakfast (COLD PIZA<<<<WOW< NATCH [even better than the original pizza??? LOL]}

Jack Daniels posted:

really really nasty farts past 5 days whilest out of town druinking beers eveyr night and eating unhealthy food while on vacation.

>> mom literally got mad at me today cause I farted liek 15 feet away form where she was but then walked over and "dragged" the far tover grossing out like 5 ppl lmao
>> daughter got mad at me on the airplane after I was grossing out both wife + daughter from stinky poop farts
>> grossed out myself earlier today at the airport restraurante too lol

weekend is here tho so beers will be flowing. still got 5 days till this poo poo lets down lmfao :slick:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

little munchkin posted:

update:

Twisted stuff. And we allow this kind of posting on these safe forums because...???

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
If anyone gets probed for making fun of that post, even if it's every day for 10 years, the mods in question are retarded. But they banned people for making fun of it. Smarxist is one of the most embarrassing posters on this forum and should have been permabanned. Anyway,

quote:

Hi mods, please ban me you bootlicking thugs!

I love CSPAM and because of that I'm doing my best to save it from the completely lovely junkyard that it sprang from before the literal child-brained owner flushes either the community here, or the entire website down the toilet

the events that occurred on the night of the stream with the "livebans" were really beyond the pale and basically killed any appetite I had to post here or spend money here, at the behest of a nazi chud peanut gallery, a man in his 40's banned some of my favorite people from their favorite place and seriously upset them, if you can countenance that poo poo, be my guest

i've been workin' hard (thank you!) to capture as many disaffected, displaced and banned posters as I can, and have literally hundreds trickling into the new hotness.

so come check us out!
https://breadnroses.club/register/

if you register with your SA account name, I can track you down and approve you (we're doing manual approvals for now) and you can come check out the new joint, which despite being a work in progress is already REALLY loving solid.

if you can't be bothered, or if all of this is "dumb online bullshit" or you don't care, then I bid you good posting friend, it was nice making content with you!

hasta siempre,
Smarxist

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

docbeard posted:

My other extremely helpful answer is that if you go into a forum you are subject to the whims of that forum's moderation team. Sometimes that means being chain-probated, sometimes that means being banned, and sometimes that means having other people point and laugh right alongside you.

Doesn't an admin have to approve ban requests? Isn't that the opposite of being at the whim of a subforum's moderators? Not that I trust the admins of this website to make good decisions but either they agreed with the ban or they just rubber stamp the things as they come their way. Either option is stupid in my opinion.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Jumping straight to a ban for someone who had 0 posts there is ridiculous. Like a prob for a day or two at max would be a fitting punishment.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

little munchkin posted:

update:

Read the dictionary, and then try using your shift key. User loses posting privileges for 30 days.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

c-spam fyad
hating the mods

perhaps if we focused on what unites as a forums

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

docbeard posted:

I think there's room for a conversation about when and how bans or other moderation actions are justified, certainly.

But I'm pretty sure "I am immune to moderation because I am here to make fun of someone" is never going to be forums policy

No one complained about the moderation neccessarily even the fail rear end probes from the locked thread.... But dog murder fantasy etc are less of an issue than posting some dudes pathetic Ban me in a worthless thread? Makes no sense dude

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018
The pit bulls were cops

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

docbeard posted:

nobody is saying this

The Posting Imam
Oct 22, 2020

by Cyrano4747
No OP. It is absolutely not allowed to insult, flame, or otherwise troll me at all. Many seem to have forgotten this and I have sent numerous and lengthy private messages to the moderation and administrative team of somethingawful to PLEASE punish those trolling me.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

flashman posted:

No one complained about the moderation neccessarily even the fail rear end probes from the locked thread.... But dog murder fantasy etc are less of an issue than posting some dudes pathetic Ban me in a worthless thread? Makes no sense dude

Maybe they got confused/reversed because the dog hating psychopath should be banned.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

With a new reg, plat, and an avatar it's about $25 to restore an account back to the pre-banned state. Not sure making fun of one of the most embarrassing posters on this site constitutes having to pay for all that, but what do I know

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

little munchkin posted:

update:

Yes, I know what point you're trying to make. I would advise you to try to make it better.

saint anime
Jul 28, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

docbeard posted:

Yes, I know what point you're trying to make. I would advise you to try to make it better.

If you can read 5 Jack Daniels posts about blowing hot lovely poop-stink farts out of his rear end on to his own mom and can only respond with something like this I fear you have no soul. Probably time to do some self-reflection.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Risking a probe here to post very generally;

I like CSPAMs culture of generally not singling out/targeting people to be "made fun of", we don't do a lot of posting about posting in general, unless it's really one off tangent in a shitposty chat thread, and I'd prefer to keep it that way for literally ever.

I also consider SA to be my main online home, and I'd hate to feel like I can't post anywhere in a forum with a lot of my friends and people I like and who like me for fear of a jolly band of good fun havers bursting in to "make fun of me" a lot and derail threads based on their judgment of the threads validity, when they're not even regulars or staff of that forum, especially if most people don't give a gently caress about the ribbing or the petty drama connected to it

I don't feel uncomfortable or unwelcome at SA, especially not in my home forum, and nothing about a dumb thing that happened a year ago is going to change that, no matter how many hundreds of times its aggressively posted at me. I'm glad the staff of my favorite forum and creative home largely agrees with me, that's why I love 'em!

Were I to take it upon myself to go somewhere I wasn't welcome to have a good time making fun of someone that was well liked there, maybe one of the places i've been mentioned by name several times, including a poster who casually threw out baseless accusations against me being a "sex pest" and only receiving a week probe, celebrating about how i "just needed a little push" to meltdown or whatever (like they're the FUKKEN JOKKER BABEY), why, I imagine I'd get quite the backlash.

Anyways, I just want to post in peace in places I feel welcome to, and I feel like as long as I abide by the forums rules and stay on topic that should be just about everywhere, does THAT seem like a crazy request? Isn't all this *waves hands around* more embarrassing than a loving ban me about an offsite? Food for thought. I'll take your answer off air.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
It seems like there should be specific standards for probes over maybe a week, bans, and perma bans. Different forums should definitely be allowed to run mostly how they see fit but users should be able to feel like the harsher punishments are not arbitrary or applied unevenly. Making a mistake or probing too harshly or too lightly does not make for a bad mod but not acknowledging these situations or having a conversation about them does.

HugeGrossBurrito fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 6, 2020

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Kongming posted:

Doesn't an admin have to approve ban requests? Isn't that the opposite of being at the whim of a subforum's moderators? Not that I trust the admins of this website to make good decisions but either they agreed with the ban or they just rubber stamp the things as they come their way. Either option is stupid in my opinion.

Yes, anything over a day has to be approved by an admin.

In this instance, I asked the Mods what the deal was, we had a conversation, some disagreements, but in the end I tend to rely on Mod decisions over mine. They know their forums better than me.

I don't say that to double down on anything, just explain how it came to be. I personally feel like a long probation would have been a good go to here, and said as such, but I'm not the end all be all decision maker. Other Mods and Admins felt different.

I do think you can beat a dead horse. At some point if you are just running into a place to dunk on some moron (even if the moron deserves it), it just gets loving old.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

smarxist posted:

someone that was well liked there,

Now let's not go crazy here

Athanatos posted:

but I'm not the end all be all decision maker.

Question: why not? Considering how obviously stupid and arbitrary this was, is that not the whole point of admin oversight

some plague rats fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 6, 2020

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

smarxist posted:

I like CSPAMs culture of generally not singling out/targeting people to be "made fun of", we don't do a lot of posting about posting in general, unless it's really one off tangent in a shitposty chat thread, and I'd prefer to keep it that way for literally ever.

I also consider SA to be my main online home, and I'd hate to feel like I can't post anywhere in a forum with a lot of my friends and people I like and who like me for fear of a jolly band of good fun havers bursting in to "make fun of me" a lot and derail threads based on their judgment of the threads validity, when they're not even regulars or staff of that forum, especially if most people don't give a gently caress about the ribbing or the petty drama connected to it

I don't feel uncomfortable or unwelcome at SA, especially not in my home forum, and nothing about a dumb thing that happened a year ago is going to change that, no matter how many hundreds of times its aggressively posted at me. I'm glad the staff of my favorite forum and creative home largely agrees with me, that's why I love 'em!

Were I to take it upon myself to go somewhere I wasn't welcome to have a good time making fun of someone that was well liked there, maybe one of the places i've been mentioned by name several times, including a poster who casually threw out baseless accusations against me being a "sex pest" and only receiving a week probe, celebrating about how i "just needed a little push" to meltdown or whatever (like they're the FUKKEN JOKKER BABEY), why, I imagine I'd get quite the backlash.

Anyways, I just want to post in peace in places I feel welcome to, and I feel like as long as I abide by the forums rules and stay on topic that should be just about everywhere, does THAT seem like a crazy request? Isn't all this *waves hands around* more embarrassing than a loving ban me about an offsite? Food for thought. I'll take your answer off air.

i dunno lets see

quote:

Hi mods, please ban me you bootlicking thugs!

I love CSPAM and because of that I'm doing my best to save it from the completely lovely junkyard that it sprang from before the literal child-brained owner flushes either the community here, or the entire website down the toilet

the events that occurred on the night of the stream with the "livebans" were really beyond the pale and basically killed any appetite I had to post here or spend money here, at the behest of a nazi chud peanut gallery, a man in his 40's banned some of my favorite people from their favorite place and seriously upset them, if you can countenance that poo poo, be my guest

i've been workin' hard (thank you!) to capture as many disaffected, displaced and banned posters as I can, and have literally hundreds trickling into the new hotness.

so come check us out!
https://breadnroses.club/register/

if you register with your SA account name, I can track you down and approve you (we're doing manual approvals for now) and you can come check out the new joint, which despite being a work in progress is already REALLY loving solid.

if you can't be bothered, or if all of this is "dumb online bullshit" or you don't care, then I bid you good posting friend, it was nice making content with you!

hasta siempre,
Smarxist

(dunk sound effect) lmao

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Professor of Cats posted:

making fun of users? I got one:

That banme deserves to get made fun of; in fact, i think it should be a yearly tradition here. As newly appointed admin, I hear by deem this an acceptable "hELLdUmP" and should be pinned on SA's fridge of shame.
Also free Bloom, and ban squizle, hoopty hoop smoke weed everyday

what's really odd is that the original banme didn't even get a ban

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

i dunno lets see

(dunk sound effect) lmao

That's illegal.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Athanatos posted:

In this instance, I asked the Mods what the deal was, we had a conversation, some disagreements, but in the end I tend to rely on Mod decisions over mine. They know their forums better than me.

I don't say that to double down on anything, just explain how it came to be. I personally feel like a long probation would have been a good go to here, and said as such, but I'm not the end all be all decision maker. Other Mods and Admins felt different.

I do think you can beat a dead horse. At some point if you are just running into a place to dunk on some moron (even if the moron deserves it), it just gets loving old.

Can you share the details of these discussions, possibly chatlogs or screenshots, so we know which mods' subforums to be careful when posting in? As it is, it seems that we will not know where certain types of posting can be done until after we are banned for them.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

i dunno lets see

(dunk sound effect) lmao

oof that ban me is pretty cringe bro.. i would have just made an alt personally if the allure of posting was too strong for me to resist.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Don't post hilariously stupid things if you don't want to get made fun of lol simple as.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Jumping straight to a ban for someone who had 0 posts there is ridiculous. Like a prob for a day or two at max would be a fitting punishment.

Yeah I hope everyone can at least recognize that the bans were way excessive, regardless of where people land on whether punishment was appropriate at all.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

scary ghost dog posted:

Can you share the details of these discussions, possibly chatlogs or screenshots, so we know which mods' subforums to be careful when posting in? As it is, it seems that we will not know where certain types of posting can be done until after we are banned for them.

Seems that was entirely a conversation between Squizzle and Athanatos.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

why was that poo poo even worth a “long probe”? it was in a dogshit garbage thread making fun of the offsite banme guy after saying weird funny poo poo about people who post in fyad. cspam is a fyad-lite where you talk poo poo about government and the only rules are there are no rules cause anarchy reigns. why are people getting banned or even “longly probed” lol for reposting a post from this very same website and subforum? get a loving grip

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

smarxist posted:

How brave.

deadking posted:

Yeah I hope everyone can at least recognize that the bans were way excessive, regardless of where people land on whether punishment was appropriate at all.

This is my view. It seems like what gets a probe varying a lot by forum is fine, but bans should be more consistent.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

smarxist posted:

I have been owned and chased out of half of SA and I still look at this post as unbearably pathetic

If you cant post on your "online home" without feeling attacked, you are an immense loving loser

The issue is that you want to not have the reputation of being the guy who made one of the worst posts ever but to have that reputation you should not have made one of the worst posts ever

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 6, 2020

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Athanatos posted:

It's not old yet lol.

absolutely terrible bans

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The consequences for being made fun of on Something Awful are very minor. Lots of us have done and said ridiculous poo poo, and people are going to make fun of that. If being mocked on SA is the worst thing happening to you, you don't have real problems. And if you do have real problems, getting made fun of doesn't exacerbate them. This isn't Twitter or Twitch or Facebook, people don't have your real name and they aren't going to track you down and swat you. Just laugh at yourself. When you can't laugh at yourself it starts making you crazy.

e: lmao this av

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
It kinda seems odd to me as a somewhat C-Spam outsider that there has been very little actual defense of the bans themselves, and more defense of "Well, they deserved punishment of somekind".

It's also quite damning that what mods/admins have chimed into the discussion have basically said "Yeaah I would have gone with a longish probe, not a ban".

If I am not mistaken, moderation is still trying to find a good balance of when to apply probes/bans/permbans. This seems like a bad shot and I think we either need to hear better justification on why these were bans over probes or it should get reversed/lessened.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 6, 2020

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

smarxist posted:

This is 100% untrue

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Roth posted:

Seems that was entirely a conversation between Squizzle and Athanatos.

I see. So when Athanatos used these words and phrases:

Athanatos posted:

What they were doing was obscuring the amount of responsibility they had by indicating that they were outnumbered, instead of clearly being cowed into a bad decision by a mod with an axe to grind. Thank you for clarifying.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Frankly I think we should defund the cspam mod team and reallocate those resources in order to obtain more effective and consistent moderation. It is pretty clear that the bans are in place because of preconceived biases that are endemic to the current cspam organizational structure. So I think starting from scratch would be very beneficial for the forum and the community as a whole.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I have been owned and chased out of half of SA and I still look at this post as unbearably pathetic

If you cant post on your "online home" without feeling attacked, you are an immense loving loser

The issue is that you want to not have the reputation of being the guy who made one of the worst posts ever but to have that reputation you should not have made one of the worst posts ever

I don't give a gently caress, I told arf I didn't give a gently caress as soon as he started posting the post back at me, I've also never reported anyone for anything except the user who tried to accuse me of being a sex pest out of nowhere

YOU'RE upset you can't poo poo up another forum with impunity or that others aren't joining in to your weird grudge bullshit. the staff at CSPAM is over it, which means the posters probably are as well, post the dumb thing at each other in your own spaces and piss and cum over it all you want but you're not going to make anyone else care, least of all me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

scary ghost dog posted:

I see. So when Athanatos used these words and phrases:

What they were doing was obscuring the amount of responsibility they had by indicating that they were outnumbered, instead of clearly being cowed into a bad decision by a mod with an axe to grind. Thank you for clarifying.

Sounds more like a lie honestly.