Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

My first thought is to tell you you're overthinking it, and unless it's super low, you will hang it and never notice where it is ever again, so center it in the room.

BUT - If you get a chain or cable hanging fixture, you can put the wiring jbox in the center of the room, then put up a hook and hang it wherever you want with a little arc of chain to the jbox. The best part about that is you can experiment with different locations, and all you have to do is patch a screw hole every time you move it, until you settle on where you want it. Then you shorten the cable/chain to a nice aesthetic length and never think about it again. If you google it, they call it "swagging" a light fixture. Like this:

Lol damnit, this was immediately what I thought of when I first started thinking about it months ago and I had completely forgotten about it until you mentioned it. I wasn’t totally sure about it then though, so thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Agreed. I wear red hightop chucks all day erry day, they're great except that they're in tatters by the one-year mark. For how popular they are, they sure don't seem very well made. Guess I'll just keep buying a new pair every year :shrug:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I never got as many compliments as when I wore red high-tops as my "casual/dressy" shoes. I need another pair.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Raluek posted:

Agreed. I wear red hightop chucks all day erry day, they're great except that they're in tatters by the one-year mark. For how popular they are, they sure don't seem very well made. Guess I'll just keep buying a new pair every year :shrug:

I used to wear chucks at work until someone finally realized we should be wearing safety footwear and I had to buy composite toes.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Liquid Communism posted:

I used to wear chucks at work until someone finally realized we should be wearing safety footwear and I had to buy composite toes.

they only recently started enforcing closed toed shoes and long hair tied back, so hopefully I have a while until this happens to me too

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Elviscat posted:

I never got as many compliments as when I wore red high-tops as my "casual/dressy" shoes. I need another pair.

Black and gold DCs got me a couple nice comments from ladies. Sadly I burned through them in a year and a half.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Elmnt80 posted:

Black and gold DCs got me a couple nice comments from ladies. Sadly I burned through them in a year and a half.

There's always other ladies out there.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

StormDrain posted:

:eyepop:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

StormDrain posted:

lol

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
They're really gonna stare down like that? My eyes are up here.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
oh here we go, I'm a total shoe snob, but its only for vintage reproduction shoes, I have a few interesting pairs of true vintage shoes, but being a size 13 has never lent itself to finding the choice vintage shoes. I dress like a 90s cholo on the daily, and up until covid, I enjoyed a rather successful career in oversized tee shirts with car poo poo on them, dickies shorts, high socks, and any one of these shoes, dressed like this. Business casual be damned

90% of the time you can find me in classic vans laceups which are basically boat shoes a-la the skipper on gilligans island - I always do the same thing to them, when I get them, i carefully cut out the rubber heel support so that the back of the shoe is floppy - i know its weird, but its just what I've done forever.

I wanted a change from the vans, so I recently copped a pair of these which are the same thing just... fancier?

sperry cloud CVO - They are a bit narrow and they starched the hell out of them at the factory so they'll take a bit of time to break in. not my favorite

I always have a pair of wino's aka (zig-zag's) as well - you remember these from the army navy surplus, they are by far the cheapest shoe ever made:

https://www.amazon.com/Zig-Zag-Zigzag-Wino-Shoes-Black/dp/B013MLXMY4

these Pro Keds are some of my favorites, super comfy - they are a bit harder to find and typically made in lower numbers

another common thing youll find me wearing is the chuck taylor 70 reissues

now this is a real sore spot for me. I have photos of myself wearing chucks all the way back in to my childhood, its always just been a given for me. These 70 reissues are outragously expensive at about 85 bucks for a pair of fuckin chucks. For those in the know, chuck taylors were produced in the US up until about 99-2000 when, like everything, they were farmed overseas. I remeber when the switch happend and it was entirely upsetting to me. so maybe 7-8 years ago they released these extra expensive versions that really are a quality shoe, albeit not produced in the US, but they are the quality that they used to be. This pisses me off.

lets talk PF Flyers... if you saw the sandlot you know whats up. they are pretty great and very comfy, however they just dont hold up - I'll typically run thru a pair in about 5-6 months.

however this model, the grounder, is really great, although it hasn't been in stock for a long time...

supply chain much?

honorable mention: my buddy Gary's company that is recreating these awesome historical sneaker, again, they've been struggling over the past few years with supply chain issues. I have pretty much every color of these. I usually buy them directly from him so I have some pretty rare ones.

https://colchestersneakers.com/

and now.. my rarest shoes... ive been offered a lot of money for these, but i love them - these were released for a month or two in 2002-3 and are replicas of the 1908 converse all star. I remember I had seen them somewhere and grabbing them not knowning how rare they would become. I cant find too much info on them, but they are pretty cool and really stoutly built - i only wear them occasionally -

also lately I've become enamored with these:

https://www.skatersocks.com/

when it comes to boots, I own 2 pairs - a pair of LL Bean maine hunting shoe (not the pumpkin spice style latte crowd one, the real one)

and these thorogood roofer boots that have remained unchanged since 1952

https://www.amazon.com/Thorogood-American-Heritage-Lace-Roofer/dp/B0053F6NOE

/vintage shoe geek rant.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Tomarse posted:

I have a phone app called night sky that is pretty great for working out where to look or what you are looking at!
My buddy has that, and both sightings he tried to open it and fat fingered it so the objects were gone by the time he got it open.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I went to get groceries at 6am since I figured it would be dead and also churchy people wouldn't be crowding yet. Absolutely dead, I was one of like 5 people in the store so that was excellent.

And then I passed a cracker barrel with a full parking lot and they didnt even open for 2 more hours.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

My store opens at 6am, and while it's not the mad rush it was during the worst of the panic buying (where people would line up around the building starting 2-3 hours before open, we'd occasionally even have a few people bring camping chairs and just crash at the front door from ~2-3am until we opened), there's usually a few people waiting at the door by the time we open. No mad dash or anything, but antibacterial wipes are still hard to come by, and we're having a lot of trouble getting paper towels. Toilet paper is kind of limited too - we're generally selling out of both every day, or coming very close, and we're not getting the variety we used to get. No aloe-infused toilet paper, for example, and some brands are gone (Viva is missing, most Scott is missing, etc). Single rolls? :laffo:

In this pic, TP goes on the right, paper towels on the left, napkins and facial tissue at the end. We've started filling in the paper towel section with paper plates just so it doesn't look so empty after we put out what we do get. Only a little bit of store brand TP was left when I walked in that night. It used to be, even at close, both sides would have a good chunk of stock left.

LobsterboyX posted:

I dress like a 90s cholo on the daily, and up until covid, I enjoyed a rather successful career in oversized tee shirts with car poo poo on them, dickies shorts, high socks, and any one of these shoes, dressed like this. Business casual be damned

Now that's a word I haven't heard much since leaving El Paso. :v: And can confirm, the shorts, high socks, and those shoes were definitely 80s-90s cholo wear. Except I typically picture cholos to be... a lot shorter than you, ese.

Nice shoe collection.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Asics were the best shoes for me when I was doing security and walking around all night long.

I liked their designs better, but nothing in a 9.5 or 10 D in stock at Kohl's. Nothing in D width, period. It was all stuff like 14 4E.

I even checked online, nearly EVERY running shoe in my size was a ship to home, not available for pickup at any Kohl's in the Austin area. Hell, even casual and dress shoes were mostly the same, unless I wanted 4E width.

FWIW, even without the plantar fasciitis inserts I usually have, my feet are only mildly sore (really, sore isn't even the right word, just... tired?) after a 9.5 hour shift. These shoes are definitely a lot better suited for me than my DCs were. Gonna be interesting next time I drive the Matrix, I'm gonna have to get used to the clutch all over again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What is D width?

Like, hobbit feet?

Edit: My mother is going to buy a new car this month and has offered me her 2005 Honda Civic. Something is wrong with it, I haven't driven it to find out but if it's a cheap fix I'll have me a new winter beater.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 6, 2020

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

What is D width?

Like, hobbit feet?

Look, we don't need to know that your dick is shaped like hobbit feet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Look, we don't need to know that your dick is shaped like hobbit feet.

:D

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

What is D width? Like, hobbit feet?

I'll just say I make up for my very average size feet in other ways. :wmwink:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

STR posted:

It was all stuff like 14 4E.

I am 14 EEEE and shoes are impossible to find, what.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kohl's gotcha covered!

.... I don't think they ship internationally tho.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

STR posted:

Kohl's gotcha covered!

.... I don't think they ship internationally tho.

Can we trade foot-sizes?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Seriously, I go shoe shopping by looking for any boxes marked "14" then figuring out if I like the 3-4 pairs that are available.

I guess with pandemic supply lines the shoe is on the other foot, normal foot sized people!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Fermented Tinal posted:

I am 14 EEEE and shoes are impossible to find, what.

My brother in law's family has the 6 finger and toe mutation, and he has to deal with that too. I think New Balance is his go-to.

The mutation is getting diluted but still fairly strong, my bro in law had deformed extra digits so they were all removed, but the knuckles are still there so his hands and feet are super wide. His oldest son was born with all 24. His pinky fingers had no bones in them so they were surgically removed when he was a kid but his toes were fine so he still has all 12.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I wear size 17 so "fashion" is right out the window. It's all about functionality and the local workwear place has their own brand and actually stocks a size 17 work shoe.

The only thing that sucks is that the heel is like 2 inches tall, so i end up hitting my head on (more) stuff.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
So you need a Lincoln for the other foot as well?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

I wear size 17 so "fashion" is right out the window. It's all about functionality and the local workwear place has their own brand and actually stocks a size 17 work shoe.

The only thing that sucks is that the heel is like 2 inches tall, so i end up hitting my head on (more) stuff.

gently caress me, that’s like 51 in euro numbers?

I’m 45 EU which is right where there’s still a decent selection.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Powershift posted:

Ya, pretty much when I go to the only store likely to have more than one pair in my size, I basically just ask them what they have in my size rather than if they have this shoe I like in my size, because that only leads to heartache.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You guys with giant feet need to shop at outlet stores like Ross then because that's all they seem to have is oddball sizes for decent shoes.

They hardly ever have good shoes in common sizes because those get picked clean immediately.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You guys with giant feet need to shop at outlet stores like Ross then because that's all they seem to have is oddball sizes for decent shoes.

They hardly ever have good shoes in common sizes because those get picked clean immediately.

I wear a 9 and you're right that Ross rarely has anything amazing in my size but I have found a dozen decent pairs of Sketchers and Pumas there. Nothing I'd want to work or exercise in but decent enough stuff.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Elviscat posted:

Seriously, I go shoe shopping by looking for any boxes marked "14" then figuring out if I like the 3-4 pairs that are available.

I guess with pandemic supply lines the shoe is on the other foot, normal foot sized people!

I'm stealing your shoes once we move

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Just when reality is seriously off the charts that The Onion gives up, today I am having conversations with head office about someone found dead after electrocuting themselves while performing autoerotic asphyxiation at a branch

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Just when reality is seriously off the charts that The Onion gives up, today I am having conversations with head office about someone found dead after electrocuting themselves while performing autoerotic asphyxiation at a branch

You must employ literally millions of people, or you employ the most deviant subsample of people imaginable.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

What you need to do is find some branded footwear that fit you well and are comfortable and then just repeat buy the same type & size online.

I bought my next 3-4 years worth of trainers on black friday when they were on offer. I think I have reached full 'old man' now I am advance buying footwear.

Merrell Moab 2 goretex walking shoes are my chosen footwear (reduced to £50 on black friday or often on offer in camping shops here) :) My current pair have done 18 months and are still super comfy but going for a daily outdoor muddy walk and never cleaning/drying or treated them has meant that the upper has started to crack and leak.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tomarse posted:

What you need to do is find some branded footwear that fit you well and are comfortable and then just repeat buy the same type & size online.

This is actually what i do with my Dickies shorts and pants

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kastein posted:

I'm stealing your shoes once we move

No, they're already so hard to find :(

Guess I need to hurry up and buy a new pair of work boots before you get here.

For some reason most of the discount palaces seem to have nothing but giant, cheap Nike basketball shoe knockoffs in the big sizes.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

This is actually what i do with my Dickies shorts and pants

This is the way

(I think it also means we are old, but I'm actually fine with this if it means I can spend just 5 minutes ordering the perfect footwear/clothes every 12-18 months)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

meatpimp posted:

You must employ literally millions of people, or you employ the most deviant subsample of people imaginable.

2020 is a perfect explainer that there are a whooooole lot more idiotic and hosed up people out there that you would realise.

Also yes, it's a big multinational. Admittedly 2020 has been a hell of a year for some WTF's

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Tomarse posted:

This is the way

(I think it also means we are old, but I'm actually fine with this if it means I can spend just 5 minutes ordering the perfect footwear/clothes every 12-18 months)

Lol I've been doing this since my 20s since I used to hate shopping for clothes and shoes - being goon-sized in Sweden with "large" feet (13 US/47 EU) severely limited my options there, even in Stockholm. Moving to the US and losing a bunch of weight helped a bit in those regards, but each time my Vans start to fall apart I just order like, 2 new pairs.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My thing is buying many pairs of vintage Jordans and then not wearing them anywhere because it's COVID lockdown for the rest of time. Thankfully I am on the upper end of normal and only have to source 12's.

Additionally, I would be surprised to find that cholo fashion has changed substantially in 60 years, let alone 30.

Shoe derail is a new one, and I applaud it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

This is your friendly Sheep Game is underway and that each and every one of you is welcome to join in the fun!

Come play today!