Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Roth posted:

What, that Fluffdaddy is simping for a "bigot" forum?

i cant tell who's doing a bit and who's not anymore but that post was not including that quote bc the poster agreed with what was in it lmao

edit: i think this is like a recursive misunderstanding thing going on here bc on further thought i think people think you were calling out the whole post and not the smarxist quote itself bc you just quoted the whole block

which if im wrong about that being what you were actually doing too then this a level of bad posting i didnt even know i was capable of

Violen fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
e: yeah dude ^^

Roth posted:

that's not the post you quoted

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i'm against whatever crane fist is for, just on principal at this point

I've never felt more confident in my opinions knowing that the only guy everyone hates more than smarxist doesn't like them. You wrote an article so bad it got deleted faster than the one Lowtax uploaded from exile

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Crane Fist posted:

that's not the post you quoted

Apologies for the misunderstanding, but I was referring to the smarxist post. I'm in agreement with Kagaya

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Violen posted:

i cant tell who's doing a bit and who's not anymore but that post was not including that quote bc the poster agreed with what was in it lmao

edit: i think this is like a recursive misunderstanding thing going on here bc on further thought i think people think you were calling out the whole post and not the smarxist quote itself bc you just quoted the whole block

which if im wrong about that too then this a level of bad posting i didnt even know i was capable of

Yeah I thought that might be what was happening.

Look, at this point the argument in favor the bans has been pretty severely undercut and mostly hinges on "Forum mods have great leeway in how they apply punishments" which is uh, problematic for several reasons outlined in this and the other thread. This very much is going to be an albatross hung around the mod/admin in question unless we actually get a decent explanation on why a Ban was applied in a situation where many agree a probe would have been more fitting.

Like come on y'all, hasn't basically this scenario played out enough times in the past few years for you recognize it by now?

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 6, 2020

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

offering the bare minimum level of transparency such that you don't immediately get disagreement from other mods isn't that hard lol

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
These bans seem incredibly unjust.

Isn't the point of admins to supervise mods and to prevent this kind of bad decision-making?

If this smarxist idiot is calling people "simps" like an incel and made that disgusting off-site, why should anyone ever be banned for making fun of him? Being friends with some mod shouldnt give people immunity from the community to be abysmally bad posters, and its the admins jobs to make sure it doesn't.

The victims of today's injust deserve an apology at the very least and their punishment should be transferred to the perpetrators.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 6, 2020

:rolleyes:
Apr 2, 2002
The funniest active thread on this forum, by far, is the one in FYAD making fun of the thinnest skinned band of tumblr-esque posters the comedy forums have ever had. That thread is funny because it never runs out of content to mock. Everyone here knows this, even the normal CSPAM regs who got the joke.

The second funniest recent thread was the [No] Joe thread in QCS where some people got the funny joke and some did not. If you didn't tiduslaugh at it, you may just not have had the minimum humor to post on the comedy forum website.

The third funniest thread is probably about to be this one.

Obviously the solution to this pressing problem is to ban all the funny posters and make it as clear as possible that this comedy forum website isn't about comedy anymore. Thank you for your time.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Also Athanatos, dude, if you were a dissenting voice and other admins or mods pushed this through then it is in everyone's best interest that either the arguments they presented are brought up, or they bring it up themselves.

Being the dissenting voice in the matter means you probably are not going to do a good job defending the decision, and everyone is going to be pissed at you for doing so.

You are kinda stuck in a really indefensible spot though, because as a dissenting voice you absolutely should not have been the one to approve the bans. Or you really shouldn't have told us that you had misgivings about it, which would have also been lovely.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 6, 2020

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
if you dont want to be made fun of for anything and everything then you should not post on the something awful forums

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Roth posted:

That is actually what I hoped you meant but you didn’t make it clear what you meant by “post” and that’s dangerous in these waters

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ASAPRockySituation posted:

That is actually what I hoped you meant but you didn’t make it clear what you meant by “post” and that’s dangerous in these waters

Yeah, that's fair, my post was vague enough that I can see why someone would interpret it either way.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

The consequences for being made fun of on Something Awful are very minor. Lots of us have done and said ridiculous poo poo, and people are going to make fun of that. If being mocked on SA is the worst thing happening to you, you don't have real problems. And if you do have real problems, getting made fun of doesn't exacerbate them. This isn't Twitter or Twitch or Facebook, people don't have your real name and they aren't going to track you down and swat you. Just laugh at yourself. When you can't laugh at yourself it starts making you crazy.

e: lmao this av

I don't know what it was like a couple years ago, but here in 2020 you'd be surprised at how often people escalate minor forum drama poo poo into going after each other's real lives.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Roth posted:

Apologies for the misunderstanding, but I was referring to the smarxist post. I'm in agreement with Kagaya

I see that now, and peace is restored

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

buffalo all day posted:

No one is arguing that anyone should be immune from moderation. No one said anything yesterday when crusty buttsack or whatever handed out probes.

Hell, I wouldn’t have said anything today if the cspam mods went and chain probed bloom for making fun of their friend. They tried to do that a few days ago to some fyad folks and no one made a fuss.

Specifically making it a ban and specifically trying to make it seem like a real offense (as opposed to being mean to their buddy) is what caused all this. So don’t argue something else.

I agree with this.

“You can’t make fun of people on SA” is a dumb strawman and really isn’t the issue imo. But generally the punishment for being on the losing end of a flamewar is a probe (or chain probe). Those bans should be reversed

Smarxist says he doesn’t care when that dumb post gets reposted. We just had a qcs thread about chain probes where the official verdict was “they’re capped at 2 weeks anyway, they’re fine”. No one complained about that thread until bans started being handed out. There’s next to nothing to actually argue about here - reverse the bans and be done with it

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't know what it was like a couple years ago, but here in 2020 you'd be surprised at how often people escalate minor forum drama poo poo into going after each other's real lives.

This is irrelevant to this thread

dads friend steve fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 6, 2020

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Main Paineframe posted:

Even if true, how is that possibly relevant to this thread?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think a reasonable solution is that people are allowed to make fun of smarxist forever for his really bad post and he should just make a new account un-linked to his history if he really wants to still be active on this website without hearing about it. This seems way more straightforward than hanging onto some tarnished forums persona until the end of time and being shielded by forums moderators that are pretty obviously using this to carry some grudge against the pink forum people.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Coming in to a thread to shitpost on a user in particular, if its not current and its just a grudge being carried over for months, should net you at least a 24 prob escalating to full bans. Its poo poo obsessive behavior that shouldn't be encouraged

If a person says something in particular, and they said a thing recently that you can use to totally own them then go ahead.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it depends on if it’s actually funny or not.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

it's pretty drat funny

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Coming in to a thread to shitpost on a user in particular, if its not current and its just a grudge being carried over for months, should net you at least a 24 prob escalating to full bans. Its poo poo obsessive behavior that shouldn't be encouraged

If a person says something in particular, and they said a thing recently that you can use to totally own them then go ahead.

i feel like this situation could have been avoided if the mods honored smarxist' original banme

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
As long as he hasn’t been banned for that banme it should be extremely allowed to make fun of at least

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Main Paineframe posted:

This is completely irrelevant to the issue of the thread being “why were these posters banned for mocking someone’s stupid ban me?It’s far too extreme.”

Also a lot of you mods have danced around the issue of the bans and focused on the act of making fun of him instead.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

the problem isn't that the posters were punished (which is fine, talk poo poo, get hit, fair enough), but that it was escalated from 0 to a ban, particularly when the ethos of current SA moderation seems to be "bans are reserved for only the most severe transgressions or repeated offenders who have gone through every level of probation." making fun of smarxist is not worse than advocating dog murder, and it is insane (and actually quite funny if we're being honest) that copy and pasting an extremely stupid goodbye post from a poster who immediately came back to SA is treated harsher than... actual slurs, threats of violence, advocating animal death, advocating politician death, telling other posters to kill themselves or threatening other posters... which are all things that routinely happen in CSPAM and other forums and are not met with bans, but generally probations of 24 hours at most.

Owlspiracy fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 6, 2020

:rolleyes:
Apr 2, 2002

Aruan posted:

the problem isn't that the posters were punished (which is fine, talk poo poo, get hit, fair enough), but that it was escalated from 0 to a ban, particularly when the ethos of current SA moderation seems to be "bans are reserved for only the most severe transgressions or repeated offenders who have gone through every level of probation." making fun of smarxist is not worse than advocating dog murder, and it is insane (and actually quite funny if we're being honest) that copy and pasting an extremely stupid goodbye post from a poster who immediately came back to SA is treated harsher than... actual slurs, threats of violence, advocating animal death, advocating politician death, telling other posters to kill themselves or threatening other posters... which are all things that routinely happen in CSPAM and other forums and are not met with bans, but generally probations of 24 hours at most.

It's true that the band of posting-is-praxis brothers that smarxist tried to Captain Sobel his way into banning anyone who makes fun of him while protecting the dog murder guy and the human murder in minecraft guys -is- pretty loving funny

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Tribladeofchaos posted:

This is completely irrelevant to the issue of the thread being “why were these posters banned for mocking someone’s stupid ban me?It’s far too extreme.”

Also a lot of you mods have danced around the issue of the bans and focused on the act of making fun of him instead.

I thought I had said as much previously, but I am of the personal opinion that it probably should have just been left at the initial day probes they had gotten a couple days before.

Just for clarification, the bans were queued at the same time as the day probes.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

that guy who threatened to murder smarxist probably should’ve been the one who was banned tbqh

even reading it charitably it’s cringe-inducing Internet tough guy poo poo that should be jettisoned on sight imo

Augus fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 6, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the bans are clearly bad and way overkill

athanatos should just save himself some time and reverse them now instead of waiting until the thread gets to page 20 before caving and closing it

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I haven't seen so many goons from so many subforums agree with each other. The system works.

Mistakes happen. We're all human. Let's just give them a day probe and reinstate their accounts, plats, and avatars. Good work everybody!

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

tl;dr for the mods/admins:

unban the two fellows

ban epic offsite guy instead

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Banning should in general be a process, unless its something egregious like advocating for dog murder. There should be a substantial paper trail that shows yes, this person was asked to stop, explained to why they should stop and they kept doing it multiple times. Its difficult and I have hosed it up plenty of times modding but in general no one should be scratching their head wondering why someone was banned.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Banning should in general be a process, unless its something egregious like advocating for dog murder. There should be a substantial paper trail that shows yes, this person was asked to stop, explained to why they should stop and they kept doing it multiple times. Its difficult and I have hosed it up plenty of times modding but in general no one should be scratching their head wondering why someone was banned.

Agreed. If the two posters that were banned had followed smarxist around to multiple threads and kept mocking him it should start escalating and maybe eventually get to a ban if absolutely necessary, but this is just squizzle being a baby and protecting his friends.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Roth posted:

I thought I had said as much previously, but I am of the personal opinion that it probably should have just been left at the initial day probes they had gotten a couple days before.

Just for clarification, the bans were queued at the same time as the day probes.

It did deserve a probe yes because it was pretty lazy. But why were the bans queued in the first place? Especially if it was from a few days ago as you say, it's an extreme reaction that doesn't fit the crime.

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive
Ain’t nothin in the rule book says you get banned for making those posts. If anything those posts should be rewarded with eternal bliss, divine emptyquotes, and ten thousand dollars in cash.

If you need help reversing the bans simply make me admin and I will take care of everything for you.

The Posting Imam
Oct 22, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Main Paineframe posted:

I doubt I would be surprised and that the answer would be "not very often at all"

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

jay z's sedan posted:

Ain’t nothin in the rule book says you get banned for making those posts. If anything those posts should be rewarded with eternal bliss, divine emptyquotes, and ten thousand dollars in cash.

If you need help reversing the bans simply make me admin and I will take care of everything for you.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

This flareup happened because once again the internet drama forum couldn't be content with laughing at the poop but had to go sticking their fingers in it. Is it that hard to quit brigading and chasing people around the forums? Several posters in this thread have sincerely expressed the opinion that that was somehow a virtuous thing to do and the victim deserved it, which is messed up and toxic as hell, and I really hope that's not officially tolerated.

Accusing mods of holding grudges also falls kinda flat when the activity being punished is specifically grudgeposting over offsite drama.

e: I would also like to repeat a point I've made a few times, which is that strict rules enable assholes to pattern their behavior to skirt them. Moderating with a good read on the situation is always better than moderating by a strict reading of the rules.

Dustcat fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 6, 2020

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Dustcat posted:

This flareup happened because once again the internet drama forum couldn't be content with laughing at the poop but had to go sticking their fingers in it. Is it that hard to quit brigading and chasing people around the forums? Several posters in this thread have sincerely expressed the opinion that that was somehow a virtuous thing to do and the victim deserved it, which is messed up and toxic as hell, and I really hope that's not officially tolerated.

Accusing mods of holding grudges also falls kinda flat when the activity being punished is specifically grudgeposting over offsite drama.

You don't know what you're talking about. It's not offsite drama for one, his ban me was posted here and that's what they posted. And as said they weren't following him all around the forum either which is why the ban was extreme and had people annoyed about it! You might want to pay attention instead of posting dumb stuff like this next time.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

jay z's sedan posted:

Agreed, make lucy admin please.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

smarxist posted:

I don't give a gently caress, I told arf I didn't give a gently caress as soon as he started posting the post back at me, I've also never reported anyone for anything except the user who tried to accuse me of being a sex pest out of nowhere

YOU'RE upset you can't poo poo up another forum with impunity or that others aren't joining in to your weird grudge bullshit. the staff at CSPAM is over it, which means the posters probably are as well, post the dumb thing at each other in your own spaces and piss and cum over it all you want but you're not going to make anyone else care, least of all me

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
“victim” lmao