Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
My wife wants something like a Fitbit Charge. Are there any decent but cheaper options?

She uses an iPhone, if that makes any difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Semi-Protato
Sep 11, 2001

ShoeFly posted:

Theres a version of the Vivoactive 3 that has LTE: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/602063

Thanks, if only it wasn't carrier locked. I don't have Verizon and was hoping I could tack it on to my existing data plan for cheap like an Apple Watch. They want $20/mo since I don't have a phone with them. Also it looks like they're out of production and new ones are hard to come by.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

My thoughts on the Garmin Instinct after a few hours of use, comparing it to my Edge 520:

A few small problems: Wrist HRM is poo poo, as expected. Luckily it can use my ant+ chest strap so this isn't really an issue. Weightlifting mode rep detection is poo poo, as expected. It would be nice to have an everything exercise mode for times when I go on a hike after lifting. Why doesn't the charging screen show the percentage charged?

GPS seems excellent after a short hike. Form factor, display, etc, all great for what it is.

Overall I'm very happy with this for the price.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

My wife wants something like a Fitbit Charge. Are there any decent but cheaper options?

She uses an iPhone, if that makes any difference.

If you can wait a bit Fitbits generally have pretty good holiday sales. I think Fitbit still does have the best app/service of the 3rd party fitness trackers.

Does she care where the data from it goes (into Apple health vs weird 3rd party app, etc)? There's a range of cheap janky options but Samsung fit 2 might also be worth looking at, it syncs to Samsung health but can also sync to Apple health: https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/wearables/smart-fitness-bands/galaxy-fit2-black-sm-r220nzkaxar/

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

repiv posted:

The new fitbits are officially announced, there's an incrementally improved Inspire, incrementally improved Versa with Google Assistant now, and a new Versa variant with more sensors

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/08/fitbits-3-new-trackers-want-to-destress-you-and-eventually-diagnose-you/

I got a referral bonus from my apartment complex and picked up the Versa 3 because of the Google Assistant integration. I have an Inspire HR that works perfectly well, but I can't say no to a (basically) free upgrade. Turns out the Google Assistant is coming "Late 2020" according to their website. So that sucks, but at least I get to play around with all the clock faces. There's a "This is Fine" one based off that KC Green comic and I love it.

Also, is there a way to get Spotify to play through the Versa and not just control Spotify coming out of my phone/home speakers? If not that's ok, but it'd be a bit disappointing too.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Cool cool, my Samsung Galaxy Wear 2's touchscreen started picking up phantom touches, and then over the course of the next 48 hours progressively got worse until half of the touchscreen stopped responding to actual touches. It started three bike ride exercises while I was sleeping thanks to the phantom touches.

At least it did this a month before my warranty runs out so back to Samsung it goes for an RMA.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Nitrousoxide posted:

Cool cool, my Samsung Galaxy Wear 2's touchscreen started picking up phantom touches, and then over the course of the next 48 hours progressively got worse until half of the touchscreen stopped responding to actual touches. It started three bike ride exercises while I was sleeping thanks to the phantom touches.

At least it did this a month before my warranty runs out so back to Samsung it goes for an RMA.

So an update on this.

Samsung wants to charge me for a whole new watch because there has apparently been water ingress into the watch. Of course I've never taken the watch beyond its IP rated ranges.

It's just been used in normal day-to-day wear including wearing it in the shower or while doing dishes but neither of those should have caused it to get water inside if its five atmosphere and IP68 seals were intact.

Guess I'm never buying another Samsung device ever.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 30, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Switching to an iPhone cut the battery lifetime of my Galaxy Watch to nearly half of what it was with a Galaxy S10. Before it could last up to 3 days from 100% to 20-25%, now it's like 1.5 days. Guess Imma get an Apple Watch if this one breaks, if battery life is on par.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Combat Pretzel posted:

Switching to an iPhone cut the battery lifetime of my Galaxy Watch to nearly half of what it was with a Galaxy S10. Before it could last up to 3 days from 100% to 20-25%, now it's like 1.5 days. Guess Imma get an Apple Watch if this one breaks, if battery life is on par.

Im still getting about 2 days on GWA2 on an iPhone. I think daily Apple Watch charging will drive me crazy, maybe Ill pick up a cheap Fitbit or Garmin on sale over the holidays since the app situation is equally abysmal on both Samsung and Fitbit.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

anyone here have experience using a smartwatch with a nickel allergy? does the sensor trigger it? im looking for one that can keep track of my heartrate and pace and so on but which wont give me a rash without having to cover the back in tape

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Shibawanko posted:

anyone here have experience using a smartwatch with a nickel allergy? does the sensor trigger it? im looking for one that can keep track of my heartrate and pace and so on but which wont give me a rash without having to cover the back in tape

I never had any nickel allergy rash until i got a vivoactive3 (which triggered massive reactions on me), keeping the metal plate surface and contact area clean and hydrated seems to mitigate it(but i went back to a plastic rear fitness band as it was really painful and unpleasant after all)

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

So an update on this.

Samsung wants to charge me for a whole new watch because there has apparently been water ingress into the watch. Of course I've never taken the watch beyond its IP rated ranges.

It's just been used in normal day-to-day wear including wearing it in the shower or while doing dishes but neither of those should have caused it to get water inside if its five atmosphere and IP68 seals were intact.

Guess I'm never buying another Samsung device ever.

Pretty much all ip rated consumer devices explicitly exclude water intrusion from their warranty

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hi Wearables thread, I'm looking for a new watch to replace my AMAZFIT BIP which I bought on a whim after hearing CNET's Jeff Bakalar sing it's praises years ago and it's been a nice little watch without any bells and whistles that I'd never use anyway and an incredible battery life. Is there something out now that has a decent battery life and isn't $300+? I just got a Note 20 and was looking at the Samsung watches but none of those really jumped out at me as something I wanted to drop the money on. There's some newer Amazfit models out like the GTR that look kinda nice and have a good battery life but presumably it would still be using the same terrible software and ehh. I really only want something simple that gets notifications so I can keep my phone on silent.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Looks like they might've price dropped the Garmin Vivoactive 4, along with some of the previous-gen stuff on Amazon. Some of the older stuff is in the $170 range now, and they're very high quality for the price.

codo27 posted:

Vivoactive 4 on sale, boasting week long battery, something I miss from my old Pebble. Should I jump on it? How does it handle notifications and responses compared to WearOS?

I have the Vivoactive 3, and I've found the experience pretty comparable. There's no voice response, though.

azurite fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 16, 2020

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I have a collection of watches that's really just me trying to recapture the magic of the Pebble Time Steel, god's own smartwatch. I'd say the Vivoactive 3 comes the closest, though I find the stainless bezel chintzy. I got the black bezel, it hides its battle scars better I think. The Bip was pretty good once I found a custom firmware that gave me music controls and let me set alarm times on the watch, and the battery life is spectacular, but I find it sluggish and boring to look at. I have a Vivoactive 3 Music as well that I got off a friend because the strap lug was broken and he already got a replacement. I rebuilt it with a bit of springbar and some plastic epoxy, and I like it, but it's thicker than the regular 3 and doesn't look good unless you use an analog face.

The only thing that really bugs me about the garmins is the polycarbonate cases. I get that they're sports watches, but god dammit I just miss pebble.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Gf has a Versa 2, it constantly desyncs at home. We were away this weekend and it never happened once (even when she left her phone at one place charging and went somewhere else), happened again an hour after getting home. Router settings? Anybody have any experience/thoughts?

codo27 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 6, 2020

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Just throwing this out there: my Bluetooth OBDII dongle won't work if I'm wearing my FitBit. Are there other Bluetooth devices in the house that could be interfering?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have my watch too but obv we were together all weekend- though she did forget my charger and thus I wasn't wearing it most of the weekend once it died. Not a whole lot else I guess. I did find a post on fitbit forums, apparently theres a known issue with the android app if you can believe it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

codo27 posted:

theres a known issue with the android app if you can believe it.

:aaaaa:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

A known issue for years apparently. I had a Charge HR and a Charge 3, they both had huge issues syncing with a multitude of Android phones. Even that iPhone 7 I had for a short while. gently caress their devices. The only one that worked well was the Fitbit One I had a century ago.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Got a Fossil Hybrid HR, since they've apparently cut prices across the board to $150 since Thanksgiving. Collider model in case it matters, this thing's pretty neat. The app has Fit integration and covers all the basics for personalizing any daily goal numbers.

Dial options are pretty nicely customizable with an e-ink B&W circular display, set within a simple numberless bezel.

Its biggest flaw is easily the three-button interface. Just making the middle button have a useable twist would've done so much to improve things. If anyone has any questions, I can try to answer.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Bought my wife a Fitbit Versa 3 for Xmas. Hopefully it is good, I have zero experience with Fitbit and she's been asking for something she can wear as a vibrating alarm in bed (and is also a fitness nut) so hoping this works. She's never had a smart watch.

Edit: Is the haptic button as lovely as some reviews say?

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Dec 13, 2020

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
So I'm in the market for a new watch and everything right now is just sorta... Meh.

I've currently got a Gear Sport, which is still mostly fine but definitely getting very inaccurate with everything. The new Samsung Watch3 and Active 2 both look pretty fun, but I'm seeing a whole heap of stuff that most of the good health features are now locked behind a Samsung phone?

Originally I had planned to jump over to a Versa 3, but reviews all seem to say that it's fine but they're a bit disappointed with it, plus it doesn't look great. Compared to say, the Oppo watch which seems to be the best wearOS device atm despite having bad battery life.

What sort of experience do people have with any of these? I mostly want a good exercise/sleep tracker as I'm a big swimmer, but also want ok Smart watch stuff hence going Samsung before.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Vahtooch posted:

I've currently got a Gear Sport, which is still mostly fine but definitely getting very inaccurate with everything. The new Samsung Watch3 and Active 2 both look pretty fun, but I'm seeing a whole heap of stuff that most of the good health features are now locked behind a Samsung phone?

SpO2 works for everyone. ECG and BP monitoring are locked to Samsung phones, yes, which was a surprise they sprang on everyone, since this bullshit wasn't mentioned anywhere during GW3's launch - and no review talked about it. There is a (tedious) workaround on XDA for non-Samsung phones, if you really want those features.

As for the good exercise/sleep tracker part, it's the same as everything else on the market, I guess, so pretty bad...? Sleep stage tracking with just a watch is mostly guesswork and a pulse HR monitor only handles steady changes correctly. Any activity with sudden starts and stops and you can forget anything resembling accuracy. Somehow, even GPS tracking is unreliable: a 4Km run in an open space with clear skies manages to be 500m off.

If you buy this watch, buy it for the smartwatch part, that's pretty good. For exercise, you're much better off pairing it (and any watch, really) with a chest strap, which is what I do. The Gear Tracker app is great for this.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My 70 year old father is looking for a smart watch. He is base knowledge when it comes to tech. What would the thread suggest as a good user friendly smart watch?

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

seravid posted:

SpO2 works for everyone. ECG and BP monitoring are locked to Samsung phones, yes, which was a surprise they sprang on everyone, since this bullshit wasn't mentioned anywhere during GW3's launch - and no review talked about it. There is a (tedious) workaround on XDA for non-Samsung phones, if you really want those features.

As for the good exercise/sleep tracker part, it's the same as everything else on the market, I guess, so pretty bad...? Sleep stage tracking with just a watch is mostly guesswork and a pulse HR monitor only handles steady changes correctly. Any activity with sudden starts and stops and you can forget anything resembling accuracy. Somehow, even GPS tracking is unreliable: a 4Km run in an open space with clear skies manages to be 500m off.

If you buy this watch, buy it for the smartwatch part, that's pretty good. For exercise, you're much better off pairing it (and any watch, really) with a chest strap, which is what I do. The Gear Tracker app is great for this.

Ah that's interesting to hear. Yeah, in terms of 'Smsrt Watch' the Gear3 seems pretty great. lovely to hear about the stop start being bad though :/ I spose my current one is really bad at working out how many laps in the pool I've done.

I almost want to wait for the next iteration of the Fitbit and hope they put a real screen on it, but that's REAL far away.

A chest strap and the Oppo watch could be cool... Cos while I love the rotating bezel and Tizen is just better, it do be very pretty.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Vahtooch posted:

So I'm in the market for a new watch and everything right now is just sorta... Meh.

Originally I had planned to jump over to a Versa 3, but reviews all seem to say that it's fine but they're a bit disappointed with it, plus it doesn't look great. Compared to say, the Oppo watch which seems to be the best wearOS device atm despite having bad battery life.

What sort of experience do people have with any of these? I mostly want a good exercise/sleep tracker as I'm a big swimmer, but also want ok Smart watch stuff hence going Samsung before.

I used an Active Watch 2 for a while, the hardware was nice (minus the stuff getting locked behind the samsung phone requirement), but I really found the software/service backend to be pretty basic and lacking (and didn't love charging every 1-2 days). Contemplated getting a Versa 3 with the holiday sales (had previously been using a Fitbit forever) but ended up jumping over to a Garmin.

Fitbit seems to really want folks to sign up for their premium service offering and I'm curious to see what the future looks like for them (WearOS is probably in the same boat). Every fitbit device I've owned has died around month 13-14 too with the exception of my old charge 2 which refuses to die.

Garmin has a confusing array of models but the fitness features are great, I get roughly 2 weeks of battery life on my instinct and it does all the smartwatch stuff that I really ultimately care about. The Samsung watches seemed like all the nice hardware was wasted on really bad apps/ecosystem.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

Jeepers the instinct page legit has 20 models. That's absolutely bonkers.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vahtooch posted:

Jeepers the instinct page legit has 20 models. That's absolutely bonkers.

There are 5 solar, and 5 non-solar models. The rest are just different colours.

I have an Instinct Solar and it's fantastic. Simple, and lasts 3 weeks+ on a battery charge.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My wife likes her Fitbit Versa 3. UI seems solid but bare bones. It's way too tiny for my wrist though, looks ridiculous.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I had a Galaxy Watch before, and it was nice, and up to a certain point I was convinced that square watches are terrible. But now that I have an Apple Watch, I'm not so sure anymore. The "traditional" display shape of computery devices allows for better UIs in my retrospective opinion. It's too bad that Tizen doesn't get any appreciable interest from third party developers.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

I was gifted a Galaxy Watch Active this Christmas and while it's a great watch, it has these built in annoying notifications that assume I'm on a 24/7 workout binge. It throws out constant "time to get moving" alerts and automatic "bicycle ride tracking" when I'm driving. I love being able to read texts, control music, and screen calls via my wrist, but these automatic alerts are seriously annoying.

According to the Samsung FAQ the solution is "there is currently no way to deactivate these alerts", which is a unique interpretation of a solution. So far I've been using it in power saving mode, which still lets me read texts and screen calls without the junk, but I'd like to be able to use it in a sane way. Anyone else dealt with this?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I get them all the time as well, great being out in the boonies and every time I drive into the city, halfway in my watch is telling me its time to do some stretches while driving at 120kmph

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Huh, I sold my Galaxy Watch Active 2 and moved to a garmin a few months ago but never got either of those.

Inactivity alerts you should be able to turn off via Samsung Health and I believe you should also be able to turn off the automatic cycling detection:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00083510/

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Does anyone have any thoughts on the Amazfit GTR2e? I last tried a smart watch in 2018, but it never really clicked. I want to try again, mainly for sleep tracking and just message notifications. I don't need something super complicated. I'd been eyeing that one and the Garmin Venu or Vivoactive

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Amazfit GTR2e? I last tried a smart watch in 2018, but it never really clicked. I want to try again, mainly for sleep tracking and just message notifications. I don't need something super complicated. I'd been eyeing that one and the Garmin Venu or Vivoactive

I highly recommend the Garmin watches. They're excellent. I've had a Vivoactive 3 and now an Instinct Solar, and loved both of them (vivoactive ate it in a bike crash :( )

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I highly recommend the Garmin watches. They're excellent. I've had a Vivoactive 3 and now an Instinct Solar, and loved both of them (vivoactive ate it in a bike crash :( )

They seems good, but what I'm mostly interested in is sleep tracking. The Garmin subreddit mentioned this being a weak point, and that Fitbit is better at that. I haven't seen much on the Amazfit's ability. Or am I looking at the wrong devices?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm by no means an expert on wearables, but while I couldn't get into a smart watch, I really like my Fitbit Inspire HR and Garmin has a similar device.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/605739

It does heart rate monitoring, sleep tracking, and vibrates when I get a phone call while being (relatively) tiny on my wrist.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Uthor posted:

I'm by no means an expert on wearables, but while I couldn't get into a smart watch, I really like my Fitbit Inspire HR and Garmin has a similar device.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/605739

It does heart rate monitoring, sleep tracking, and vibrates when I get a phone call while being (relatively) tiny on my wrist.

I might go for an Inspire, $70 seems fine for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

They seems good, but what I'm mostly interested in is sleep tracking. The Garmin subreddit mentioned this being a weak point, and that Fitbit is better at that. I haven't seen much on the Amazfit's ability. Or am I looking at the wrong devices?

Sleep tracking on garmins is very basic, worse than say Withings or jawbone(rip).
Garmin raison detre is sport so if you just need lifestyle activities and notification there might be better picks. Also be very wary of garmins with rear metal plate, they are rash magnets if you stick them all day for activity and sleep tracking.