Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't know what it was like a couple years ago, but here in 2020 you'd be surprised at how often people escalate minor forum drama poo poo into going after each other's real lives.

there's no way this happens as often as certain permanently aggrieved sections of the forum like to claim it does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Athanatos posted:

I have read every single post made in QCS since they forced me into here because sports was canceled. All of them. Sometimes I gently caress off and do other poo poo so I stop responding for a while.

wait, you mean you don't spend every hour of every day reading the forums for free? i don't even know what to say.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

hakimashou posted:

Maybe the mods should be asked on the mod forum if they are prepared to give out month long probies to anyone who ever repeats the FYAD libels of a year ago, and the ones who aren't can give up their mod stars. Then after that nobody's in the position of being obligated to do something that they don't believe is right.

I agree with this.

Also, we still haven't heard from Squizzle about why he queued those two bans, because they weren't Helldumping that's for sure! I think the posters involved would appreciate an apology as well.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Roth posted:

Please just stop responding to each other

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Sarrisan posted:

wait, you mean you don't spend every hour of every day reading the forums for free? i don't even know what to say.

yeah , us fyad senior regs at least get a paycheque every month which helps motivate us. tbh until jeffrey started the payroll up again i was actually really low on motivation to keep posting

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

saint anime posted:

Risking a probe here to post very generally;

I like CSPAMs culture of generally not singling out/targeting people to be "made fun of", we don't do a lot of posting about posting in general, unless it's really one off tangent in a shitposty chat thread, and I'd prefer to keep it that way for literally ever.

I also consider SA to be my main online home, and I'd hate to feel like I can't post anywhere in a forum with a lot of my friends and people I like and who like me for fear of a jolly band of good fun havers bursting in to "make fun of me" a lot and derail threads based on their judgment of the threads validity, when they're not even regulars or staff of that forum, especially if most people don't give a gently caress about the ribbing or the petty drama connected to it

I don't feel uncomfortable or unwelcome at SA, especially not in my home forum, and nothing about a dumb thing that happened a year ago is going to change that, no matter how many hundreds of times its aggressively posted at me. I'm glad the staff of my favorite forum and creative home largely agrees with me, that's why I love 'em!

Were I to take it upon myself to go somewhere I wasn't welcome to have a good time making fun of someone that was well liked there, maybe one of the places i've been mentioned by name several times, including a poster who casually threw out baseless accusations against me being a "sex pest" and only receiving a week probe, celebrating about how i "just needed a little push" to meltdown or whatever (like they're the FUKKEN JOKKER BABEY), why, I imagine I'd get quite the backlash.

Anyways, I just want to post in peace in places I feel welcome to, and I feel like as long as I abide by the forums rules and stay on topic that should be just about everywhere, does THAT seem like a crazy request? Isn't all this *waves hands around* more embarrassing than a loving ban me about an offsite? Food for thought. I'll take your answer off air.

tbf smarxist is risking it because they got banned from QCS back in August

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 7, 2020

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I didn't realize that was what they meant, but they're probed regardless. I will uphold cda's forum ban of them from now on.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Athanatos posted:

I have read every single post made in QCS since they forced me into here because sports was canceled.

This is your Sisyphean punishment for watching football, hopefully one of these days you’ll finally learn your lesson

Augus fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 7, 2020

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

my honour is being slighted...

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Justice has been served. And some ppl say posting isn't activism

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

flashman posted:

Justice has been served. And some ppl say posting isn't activism
The post-coital glow of a job well done

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
thank you for unbanning hizke.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
imo making fun of other users is fine, and very much in line with what this forum's always been about.

but we should also draw a distinction between making fun of someone when they do something dumb and, say, following someone around the forums repeatedly making fun of them for the same thing/post, then going back to a thread where a bunch of your online friends (who are also in their mid 30s yet still obsessed with message boards and internet drama) can laugh with you at the fact that, once again, someone from your group has succeeded in bothering the poster in question.

it gets weird, at a certain point, like it's no longer a funny troll but something kind of weird and maybe sad but definitely goony

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Two unfair bans reversed and the creepy guy who wants to murder dogs permabanned.

Pretty good couple hours in QCS.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Finicums Wake posted:

imo making fun of other users is fine, and very much in line with what this forum's always been about.

but we should also draw a distinction between making fun of someone when they do something dumb and, say, following someone around the forums repeatedly making fun of them for the same thing/post, then going back to a thread where a bunch of your online friends (who are also in their mid 30s yet still obsessed with message boards and internet drama) can laugh with you at the fact that, once again, someone from your group has succeeded in bothering the poster in question.

it gets weird, at a certain point, like it's no longer a funny troll but something kind of weird and maybe sad but definitely goony

Shut up, no one cares

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
but seriously that smarxist post is really bad and if admins are upset that people make fun of someone making their big dramatic exit then coming back like nothing happened then idk maybe all gently caress THIS WEBSITE I QUIT posts should be accompanied by a helpful perma

just spitballing

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 7, 2020

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Another win for the good guys

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

So how long are they now unjustly probated for since there's nothing in the colony?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You can always make fun of me if you want, I don't mind.

Just doing my part.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Athanatos posted:

I'm fine with that. As the person who shows up to QCS, I'm going to get poo poo. I'm going to gently caress things up and make mistakes. I own it.

I'll always tell you what side of issues I am on. I've done it before and will continue to do it. I'll be honest with my feelings and what my thoughts were on things.

Yeah, Im sorry if it wasn't clear but I did honestly appreciate you being honest about what side you were on and your misgivings, even if it lead to you getting more poo poo.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

EasilyConfused posted:

Two unfair bans reversed and the creepy guy who wants to murder dogs permabanned.

Pretty good couple hours in QCS.

These decisions set a bad precedent. Just because the mods happened to do something right this time doesn't mean we should praise them for taking action. The record of mod decisions shows that most of the time they do something, their action falls on a spectrum of evil from dumb/cringe probations and mod challenges to literal child molestation. They're like Lennie Small minus the charm and goodwill. Mods should always be biased toward inaction.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

where did those dancing cgi sonic avs come from

edit: what the gently caress

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Puppy Galaxy posted:

lol

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Tribladeofchaos posted:

I agree with this.

Also, we still haven't heard from Squizzle about why he queued those two bans, because they weren't Helldumping that's for sure! I think the posters involved would appreciate an apology as well.

Yeah has the person responsible for this trouble apologized yet for their wrongdoing? What's their plan to do better in the future?

If people don't confess their wrongdoings then how can they learn from them and improve?

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Horizon Burning posted:

but seriously that smarxist post is really bad and if admins are upset that people make fun of someone making their big dramatic exit then coming back then idk maybe all gently caress THIS WEBSITE I QUIT posts should be accompanied by a helpful perma

just spitballing
it's not just someone making fun of something once. it's the same people making fun of the same thing, over and over again, and in a way that derails threads. and, beyond this, the people who do this annoying poo poo also repeatedly troll the gray forums in other ways that are equally repetitive, unfunny, and derailing. i think that smarxist post is bad, and it was funny the first dozen or two times i saw someone follow them around the forums quoting it at them. but i don't really find it funny at this point, and it shits up threads i read, and i find it weird in a very specifically goony way, so i'm going to say it's bad

quote:

Shut up, no one cares

this smarxist stuff, along with other fyad/nojoelulz posters trolling, comes up and derails threads fairly regularly in cspam. reading the same, unfunny trolls over and over again is kind of sucks, especially when it becomes the topic of the conversation.

cspam, in general, has an unimaginably bad signal/noise ratio. some threads, in particular, are truly awful, like the trump thread or the succ zone. cspam, in general, is mostly filled with whitenoise posts and whitenoise posters. despite all this, you, in particular, somehow have managed to stick out as particularly bad, because you manage to derail even the worst, most contentless threads with dumb forum drama. you somehow made the succ zone even more punishing to read. stop doing that, at least in cspam, and i'll stop caring as well, thanks

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Lmao

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Puppy Galaxy posted:

lol

edit: god damnit

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Finicums Wake posted:

this smarxist stuff, along with other fyad/nojoelulz posters trolling, comes up and derails threads fairly regularly in cspam. reading the same, unfunny trolls over and over again is kind of sucks, especially when it becomes the topic of the conversation.

You should go back and (re)read the thread in question. The only “trolling” was people saying the thread sucked and/or laughing at the more ridiculous suggestions until smarx came in swinging at “yads and fyad wannabes” and bringing up forums beef with other posters. He immediately got rightfully spitfired for making one of the most cringe posts in recent memory, including by other cspam posters. Strangely this was not acknowledged at all and the narrative became one of people “following him around the forums” to mock him which, emphatically, doesn’t happen.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TheSlutPit posted:

the narrative became one of people “following him around the forums” to mock him which, emphatically, doesn’t happen.

are you claiming that this is the first--or anywhere near the first--time that people have posted that quote at smarxist?

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
I have been mocked for bad posts in the past and am officially requesting immediate, retroactive bans for those heinous acts against my person. Thanks in advance god bless

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
nerds

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Imagine if I was as thin skinned as some of the folks in here claiming to be victims because they got made fun of while simultaneously making poo poo up about me. Imagine the QCS threads and the vitriol if I just started banning every weirdo who I've never interacted with that have written an entire fanfic about me and my bigot pals.

This is all theater bullshit and its hilarious that anyone treats it like some kind of real life trauma

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Fluffdaddy posted:

Imagine if I was as thin skinned as some of the folks in here claiming to be victims because they got made fun of while simultaneously making poo poo up about me. Imagine the QCS threads and the vitriol if I just started banning every weirdo who I've never interacted with that have written an entire fanfic about me and my bigot pals.

This is all theater bullshit and its hilarious that anyone treats it like some kind of real life trauma

you should do it

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

you should do it

It's not worth the effort or time. I've already spent more time caring about it than its worth. Just gonna keep posting. Except I hosed up and didn't honor threadnesday and for that I am truly ashamed and except my punishment

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Fluffdaddy posted:

I think FYAD has already found the answer to this problem, and it is the chain probation. It keeps unwanted people from posting on FYAD, and likewise people could have freedom from unwanted FYAD posts by this simple method. Is there any rules based reason why chainprobes have not taken off, or is it just, I dunno, a reluctance on the part of the non-fyad forums to buy fully into the drama machine?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Fluffdaddy posted:

lmao

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I think a good rule of thumb is to make fun of a poster's ideas, their actions, and their appearance but then leave it at that. Let's not make things personal.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Fluffdaddy posted:

You okay

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Dustcat posted:

I think FYAD has already found the answer to this problem, and it is the chain probation. It keeps unwanted people from posting on FYAD, and likewise people could have freedom from unwanted FYAD posts by this simple method. Is there any rules based reason why chainprobes have not taken off, or is it just, I dunno, a reluctance on the part of the non-fyad forums to buy fully into the drama machine?

I just find it funny that some posters spend alot of time bitching about the moderators while simultaneously needing the moderators to be their shining knights whenever their E-honor is at stake.

I'm always willing to help people with forums issues but what I consider an actual problem and what some folks consider an actual problem seems to be different sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Always