Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I honestly can’t think of a less engaging action sequence in any movie. It looked like a proof of concept they shot as practice for the real thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It looked like Titanfall without the player characters or mechs. Just some nobodies running around semi-aimlessly on a beige background. At least the Inception snowmobile sequence had some personality. It was just stuff happening on screen with no sense to be made of it. I can hang for a car fight, an airport disaster and the senseless scenes at the opera, but going to a star trek quarry is just dull after that.

I'm sure there were cool parts happening, but it was just hard to follow and confusing. Couldn't tell who was good/bad or red/blue. At some point a building gets reconstructed, but I can't say to what end.

Coupled with the atrocious sound mix, I don't see how anyone could not check out of the movie for the last quarter. Just make a loving normal Bond movie and be done with it.

Anyways the movie is going to come to streaming so we can all re-watch it with headphones on and settle this subjective matter objectively.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

This is purely just a plot hole nitpick that a goon brought up earlier, but I'm not sure I understand the problem and would like it explained by a Tenet apologist:

So they were under the gun to prevent Sator from dropping the algorithm into a pit when an underground nuke was to go off. He was going to kill himself at around the same time as well, which would have somehow exploded the world due to time fuckery at the same moment. I think it was because his heart fitbit would have e-mailed the location to the future people. God drat that's a stupid sentence to have to type.

What's to stop them from digging up and removing the algorithm drop at any time after the explosion during the next "(whatever # of decades/centuries later)" before the future people come to collect it? They still could have wiped the area and prevented the future group from getting the knowledge, it didn't seem to need to be tied so specifically to that exact moment in time, right?

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 7, 2020

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

JazzFlight posted:

This is purely just a plot hole nitpick that a goon brought up earlier, but I'm not sure I understand the problem and would like it explained by a Tenet apologist:

So they were under the gun to prevent Sator from dropping the algorithm into a pit when an underground nuke was to go off. He was going to kill himself at around the same time as well, which would have somehow exploded the world due to time fuckery at the same moment. I think it was because his heart fitbit would have e-mailed the location to the future people. God drat that's a stupid sentence to have to type.

What's to stop them from digging up and removing the algorithm drop at any time after the explosion during the next "(whatever # of decades/centuries later)" before the future people come to collect it? They still could have wiped the area and prevented the future group from getting the knowledge, it didn't seem to need to be tied so specifically to that exact moment in time, right?

No the doomsday device was sent back in time from the future so you have it backwards, or shall I say, inverted.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

salt shakeup posted:

No the doomsday device was sent back in time from the future so you have it backwards, or shall I say, inverted.
Wait, lemme get this right:

Was the movie saying that the screwed together square-shaped containment devices they were chasing after is actually the finalized "world inverter" that would activate upon being dropped in a pit when an underground nuclear bomb goes off?

I really don't think the movie made that clear. I thought it was supposed to be a dead-drop of the assembled formula for the future people to find.

EDIT: Why is this plot so stupid and contrived, holy poo poo. Is this like The Lady in the Water where the director made a movie about a story he ad-libbed for his kids?

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 7, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The movie didn't make it clear it's the one genuinely confusing part. Even as someone that enjoyed the movie that's on Nolan not you.

It's strange to me he supposedly worked on the script so long because if I had been I would've given Sator a better motive and explored the global warming motivation a lot more since I liked the reveal a lot. Actually reminded me of one of the best SCPs.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Groovelord Neato posted:

The movie didn't make it clear it's the one genuinely confusing part. Even as someone that enjoyed the movie that's on Nolan not you.

It's strange to me he supposedly worked on the script so long because if I had been I would've given Sator a better motive and explored the global warming motivation a lot more since I liked the reveal a lot. Actually reminded me of one of the best SCPs.
Apparently I'm not the only one thinking this is an odd oversight.
https://www.reddit.com/r/tenet/comments/im9zm7/algorithm_confusion/

I really think the movie specifies that Sator's dead man's switch just sends an e-mail with the location to dig up the algorithm later. This would be counter to your interpretation.

EDIT:
Here's my only idea for how the evil plan would work:
Future people live in an inverted box for however many decades/centuries (Jesus, are they having kids in an inverted box for this stupid plan???) to go allllllll the way back to the present day, where they will make sure to intercept the package before the heroes can dig it up and destroy it. Maybe they develop a giant underground bunker that's completely inverted and separate from the surface?

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 7, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I wasn't saying you were wrong I'm saying it's legitimately confusing. Your interpretation is the correct one.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 7, 2020

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Groovelord Neato posted:

I wasn't saying you were wrong I'm saying it's legitimately confusing. Your interpretation is the correct one.
Oh, whoops, sorry, I meant to say counter to salt shakeup's post.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I think that the fit bit would have transmitted some important information about the when of his death, too, preventing Tenet from being able to dig up the device later

Other stuff:

1 - my eyes must have gotten slow because I couldn’t track what exactly happened when inverted Neil took a bullet at the end. Did he rappel in so that he unlocked the door and took the bullet at the same instant?

2 - there was one particular use of inversion to build tension that I liked. When Sator has the gun to Kat, and there’s the bloody inverted bullet hole there. It’s positioned so it looks like he’s going to has shot her in the head.

3 - to the poster from earlier in the thread who commented on the theme of selfishness vs caring for others. I think Ayn Rand once commented that when she died, the whole world would die. The idea being, of course, that when you value nothing beyond your own experience, the world may end with your experience. So I think that fits nicely with your analysis of Sator.

4 - I picked up the global warming theme at the beginning, when P meets the scientist. We see the traces and detritus of it in the present, even if the full catastrophe is in the future. So when Sator brings it up later, it’s not completely out of nowhere.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hand Knit posted:

1 - my eyes must have gotten slow because I couldn’t track what exactly happened when inverted Neil took a bullet at the end. Did he rappel in so that he unlocked the door and took the bullet at the same instant?

If I'm remembering it right he unlocks the door, walks in, and takes the bullet.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Watch a better version ffs. Are y'all paying by the megabyte?

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Groovelord Neato posted:

If I'm remembering it right he unlocks the door, walks in, and takes the bullet.

No. He's inverted. He runs in, closes the door and locks it, and gets shot.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I know he's inverted.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
The reason why they can't just go back later and dig up the algorithm: the minute it gets buried in the dead drop, it will be there for the future generation. The present would get annihilated instantaneously because it's effects propagate backwards through time. That was the whole point of the question about the grandfather paradox. Sure, they might be wrong and it won't affect them, but if they aren't wrong, the entire universe and existence itself is destroyed instantaneously.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Frankly, if humans could literally destroy space time, I think we should, just because... I mean come on, it'd be funny

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

The reason why they can't just go back later and dig up the algorithm: the minute it gets buried in the dead drop, it will be there for the future generation. The present would get annihilated instantaneously because it's effects propagate backwards through time. That was the whole point of the question about the grandfather paradox. Sure, they might be wrong and it won't affect them, but if they aren't wrong, the entire universe and existence itself is destroyed instantaneously.
I don't understand that. I think that would only make sense if they never knew where it was buried or what the villain's plan was to begin with.

Or is this some Bill & Ted "let's make sure to leave the key right here for ourselves" or "put a trash can on the ceiling to drop on our dad's head" stuff and then it just happens because they're the victors and they made sure to come back and do that.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 7, 2020

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Watch a better version ffs. Are y'all paying by the megabyte?

Went and saw it at the cinema, so, uhm, no, not paying by the megabyte.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Pikehead posted:

Went and saw it at the cinema, so, uhm, no, not paying by the megabyte.

Was there a 4DX version of this?

The boat race strikes me as one of the few types of scenes that would actually benefit from water spray and sea smell

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPA3CZpsPU0

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

JazzFlight posted:

I don't understand that. I think that would only make sense if they never knew where it was buried or what the villain's plan was to begin with.

Or is this some Bill & Ted "let's make sure to leave the key right here for ourselves" or "put a trash can on the ceiling to drop on our dad's head" stuff and then it just happens because they're the victors and they made sure to come back and do that.

I already said it: if the dead drop succeeds, everything gets annihilated. They talk about it in the shipping container. Protagonist asks if the fact that they're still there means that they will succeed. Neil answers that it depends on the various theories, etc, but they have to still act as if it's possible that they will lose.

You can also reason that digging it up would take an enormous amount of time and resources, leaving them vulnerable to attack and leaks about the location of the algorithm pieces. For Christ sake, there's literally a suggestion that they suicide after burying the pieces at the end.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Groovelord Neato posted:

This is not correct.

And a closed time loop not making sense while true in the "real world" doesn't affect the quality of a film (unless it doesn't really make sense within the film's logic). The Terminator and Timecrimes are both great movies with closed time loops.

If they were there then it wasn't obvious. It really looked like there were long stretches of time where the blue/red teams were firing into thin air and being fired upon by an invisible foe. That scene was not exciting at all and it's really weird it was the climactic action set piece.

My comment about closed time loops was not a reflection on the quality of the film. The movie had a ton of other issues, other than it's overarching narrative, which was mostly in line with other closed time loop films.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

You can also reason that digging it up would take an enormous amount of time and resources, leaving them vulnerable to attack and leaks about the location of the algorithm pieces. For Christ sake, there's literally a suggestion that they suicide after burying the pieces at the end.

They'd do that so nobody knows where they buried it. They know where Sator buried it.

Megasabin posted:

If they were there then it wasn't obvious. It really looked like there were long stretches of time where the blue/red teams were firing into thin air and being fired upon by an invisible foe. That scene was not exciting at all and it's really weird it was the climactic action set piece.

You're not wrong in that regard - apart from the RPG guys the only obvious ones are the group around an artillery piece that gets blowed up right before I think little Denzel and Kick-rear end get to it.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 7, 2020

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Another thought on the theme of selfishness vs caring about others, this time with respect to the final scene.

When Kat leaves her message for P, we can see that she cannot actually tell if P got the message, if he did anything, or if she was just spooked by a random car. We may infer that there have been other such incidents, there will be further incidents, and in every case Kat will not know the truth except for the fact that she continues to live. She is, in effect, praying to P.

This sets up a contrast with Sator, insisting upon his ability to send things through time and defending his decision to have the world end with him, calls himself god. He calls himself god because he sees himself as all powerful, the master of all around him, and everyone else only exists at his permission. In effect, he's god because he's on top. He's the boss. But by the end of the movie it's P answering prayers and thereby playing the role of God, though in a very different way. He's not the boss, he's the one who answers prayers.

So, in this way, the religious theme returns to the core theme of selfishness vs service.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 7, 2020

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Groovelord Neato posted:

They'd do that so nobody knows where they buried it. They know where Sator buried it.

I know. That's my point. Read what I said again.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

But his plan doesn't make sense unless nobody else knows where he's buried the Algorithm. It's not like when he puts out a box and tells them where it is and gold appears instantly from his perspective because they invert it from their time.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
It's a dead drop being defended by a private military. The way it plays out happened because it's the easiest way to recover the algorithm.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

But his plan doesn't make sense unless nobody else knows where he's buried the Algorithm. It's not like when he puts out a box and tells them where it is and gold appears instantly from his perspective because they invert it from their time.

Remember that from their perspective what they’ve seen is Sator buries a container at a location with information about where and when he did that. He then reopens the container and finds stuff sent backwards from the future. Importantly, this appears to happen instantaneously.

What appears to happen, and what makes most sense is the future people find the container in the location Sator left it, invert it, and send it back to the pre-determined drop point. Sator retrieves it when it reaches his point in time. This is consistent with a basic four dimensional view of time, where time is just another axis that we move along. All points in time are equally ‘real’, just elsewhen. According to this view there’s no “first pass” or anything, and the facts about this four dimensional world are timelessly true.

This is the view that Neil says is probably right. And, accordingly, you’re right when you say the plan doesn’t make sense on this view. However, the heroes don’t know that this is true. It’s probably true, but all this time poo poo is indistinguishable from magic from their perspective. So, with their uncertainty, even if it clashes with their beliefs about what’s possible, it could be true that, say, once the algorithm is buried there’s a window of time when it has made it to the future, and in that window the future people could detonate the algorithm in the past. It’s unclear how this would work, metaphysically, but the characters don’t know enough to know that it won’t work, and one of the themes of the movie is acting in the absence of knowledge.

tl;dr you’re right that the plan makes no sense but the characters are dealing with a world where things that make no sense are already happening, and the movie is in part about acting in faith.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
The idea of an object having its entropy reversed through technology is silly and doesn't make sense. Entropy is an observed phenomenon not a property.

If you cut the corners off of a square it becomes an octagon not an octagonal square. You can change the lighting of the room and the square will look different. By that logic the turnstiles are not affecting the objects inside but the rest of existence. This is creating energy.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Amarcarts posted:

The idea of an object having its entropy reversed through technology is silly and doesn't make sense. Entropy is an observed phenomenon not a property.

If you cut the corners off of a square it becomes an octagon not an octagonal square. You can change the lighting of the room and the square will look different. By that logic the turnstiles are not affecting the objects inside but the rest of existence. This is creating energy.
So?

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

I guess I'm saying the concept of the plot is nonsensical from a physics perspective. The internal logic of the movie doesn't really hold up.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I think this movie is too smart for most posters itt

I thought it was a good movie.

apparently the movie pissed more people off though

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 8, 2020

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

ozmunkeh posted:

Oh cool, the author of this post is here to tell us what dumdums we are.

drat you hated the movie so much you're calling receipts

maybe the movie was bad and im wrong lol

gregday
May 23, 2003

What if you’re inverted and you poop?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

gregday posted:

Utter chaos as Tenet-world Elon Musk creates inverted toilets but forgets to attach them to an inverted sewage system.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

gregday posted:

You sit down on a toilet and the poop goes up into your butt. "But what about the other direction?" You can't! Any more than you can suck poop up into your butt in normal life. Your butt is a one-way poop producer and when you invert yourself you invert that. Just like an inverted gun sucks up bullets, and inverted butt sucks up poop.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You sit down on a toilet and the poop goes up into your butt. "But what about the other direction?" You can't! Any more than you can suck poop up into your butt in normal life. Your butt is a one-way poop producer and when you invert yourself you invert that. Just like an inverted gun sucks up bullets, and inverted butt sucks up poop.
If you sit on a toilet of inverted poop, it will go up your butt and eventually you'll form a complete hotdog bite by bite out of your mouth.

I'm angry that Christopher Nolan didn't include this important scene in the movie.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Assassinating someone by inverting their bones but not their flesh, causing their skeleton to leap out of their body and run away.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

gregday posted:

Comes out as normal because it was part of you when you inverted, but gradually forms back into food in the sewer system

I think we just solved world hunger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

gregday posted: