Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's technically not fast food, but come on, it's the same procedure to make a frozen pizza in your home as it is to prepare food at a fast food chain.

So what kind do you get? What's the best? I am always taking recommendations to up my frozen pizza game.

I am personally partial to Home Run Inn. It's probably not the best out there, tends to be a bit on the dry/flaky side, and it's not weighed down with toppings but I really like the way the crust and sausage taste. Just something about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Whatever's like ~$4 on sale at Safeway. I plan on eating it drunk and I'm gonna coat that thing in extra pepperoni and hot sauce anyway.

Some of the CPK ones are pretty good if I'm gonna be "classy" about it.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

I used to love Tombstone but they changed it in the last couple of years and it's kind of disappointing now. There used to be "bonus pepperoni" (like, little chunks) on the bog-standard pep. Gone. Different crust, different sauce. Been talking to my therapist about this.

So I'm more a Digiorno guy these days. The Pizzeria! ones really are as good as like, Dominos or something.

I think you could argue, also, that Totino's is not quite a pizza, and I know it's pretty fake garbo, but I still love them once in a while (even after they changed to square, which was a lot for me to get through.)

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Home Run Inn is tops for me too. I always just get the regular crust plain cheese pizza and doctor it because it's loving delicious. I rub a cut clove of garlic on it (you can do this with home run inn since it's parbaked so the cheese is one solid surface), lay on a bunch of fresh basil leaves, some roma tomato slices, and some red pepper flakes. take another couple minutes in the oven but it turns out nice and crunchy with the cheese in between the tomato slices nice and browned

for cheap pizza my go-to is Jack's sausage and pepperoni or the Mexican pizza one. I stock up when they're on sale for $2 so it's hard to go wrong

there's also a TON of Wisconsin-made frozen pizzas I like. the best lately has been Pep's Drafthaus. they're super loaded with toppings, including a few types of cheeses including round slices of fresh mozz. seriously better than a lot of pizza places and they're like $8. here's a review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOUlGQJg7wg&t=562s

these guys are fun I like their review vids

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Wegmans frozen pizzas are an absolute steal for $3. The "rising crust" cheese/pepperoni/supreme are on par with Digiorno. The thin crust buffalo chicken/gorgonzola is pretty good for the price as well. Walmart and Aldi store brand pizzas are just okay, but I always feel like spending a tiny bit more for the Wegmans one is the clear winner.

Red Baron "singles" pizzas are identical to school lunch circle shaped pizzas. Me and Mrs. WITCHCRAFT enjoy them with nostalgia, and WITCHCRAFT Jr. enjoys them because it was his favorite school lunch before quarantine times. We get a big box of them from BJ's now and then. Usually I think microwaving frozen food comes out way worse than putting it into the oven, but these come out the microwave just like you remember from school. Somehow soft and hard dough at the same time, inexplicably wet and dry in various bites.

I've tried a few of the fancy/premium frozen pizzas when I catch them on sale, and every single time I wish I had just ordered an actual pizza from a pizza place instead. They aren't bad, but for that price I'd much rather pick up a fresh cooked plain cheese pizza where the crust, sauce and cheese are all excellent. Screamin' Sicilian has some nice toppings, but I'd rather have a plain pizza where every ingredient is great instead of a meh pizza that has some nice chunks on top.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
sometimes i like cutting frozen pizzas w/ my chefs knife instead of a pizza cutter, there's something satisfying about pushing down until you get a crusty snap sound as it breaks through

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
protip pick up a pack of these and you can have olives on four different frozen pies !!!!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

I used to love Tombstone but they changed it in the last couple of years and it's kind of disappointing now. There used to be "bonus pepperoni" (like, little chunks) on the bog-standard pep. Gone. Different crust, different sauce. Been talking to my therapist about this.

So I'm more a Digiorno guy these days. The Pizzeria! ones really are as good as like, Dominos or something.

I think you could argue, also, that Totino's is not quite a pizza, and I know it's pretty fake garbo, but I still love them once in a while (even after they changed to square, which was a lot for me to get through.)

Yeah! The little pepperoni chunks are always a big bonus to a pizza.

Also this is the perfect place to talk about enjoying fake bad food. I won't shy away from admitting that I eat a pizza roll now and then.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

there's also a TON of Wisconsin-made frozen pizzas I like. the best lately has been Pep's Drafthaus. they're super loaded with toppings, including a few types of cheeses including round slices of fresh mozz. seriously better than a lot of pizza places and they're like $8. here's a review

Yeah there are some good ones that are Wisconsin local. Portesi and Brew Pub are probably the best of what I normally get, though we did get Palermo's last time we went out. The Portesi that doesn't have sauce but just fucktons of cheese is a particular favourite.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Has anyone tried Urban Pie? I was looking and I've never actually tried Home Run Inn before either so I'm gonna pick up one of those too next trip to the store :haibrower:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

aniviron posted:

Yeah there are some good ones that are Wisconsin local. Portesi and Brew Pub are probably the best of what I normally get, though we did get Palermo's last time we went out. The Portesi that doesn't have sauce but just fucktons of cheese is a particular favourite.

Pretty much all the Palermo’s brands suck imo. I think they’re really overrated

Other local brands I’ve had that are good: village inn and Dino’s

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Tombstone 4-meat has been my go-to for like 15 years, I noticed the change in the last year or so but I didn’t think it was that drastic.

Jack’s plain rear end pepperoni isn’t bad on sale.

I’ve only had a couple brew pub pizzas and thought they were a complete letdown, but looking at the thread maybe I just got unlucky.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Gotta represent

Also, the worst frozen pizza. I think you can only find them at discount grocieres

770e4133fe864efdb5a3d5860573ed6c

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

good 'zas

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I was going to be responsible and eat leftovers for dinner, but then it got late and I made a Jack's pepperoni and sausage pizza instead

no regrets

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I was going to be responsible and eat leftovers for dinner, but then it got late and I made a Jack's pepperoni and sausage pizza instead

no regrets

jack's ain't goin' away (for a reason)!!

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Sold! Fun, energetic and good editing; good link

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

If I'm forced to eat frozen pizza, I want cheap garbage which is why Totino's is the best. It's still my go-to from childhood till now.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
There's this frozen pizza in Norway (NOT Grandiosa :gonk: ), and it comes in a blue container & has ham on it, and I don't remember what it's called but it's delicious.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

aniviron posted:

It's technically not fast food, but come on, it's the same procedure to make a frozen pizza in your home as it is to prepare food at a fast food chain.

So what kind do you get? What's the best? I am always taking recommendations to up my frozen pizza game.

I am personally partial to Home Run Inn. It's probably not the best out there, tends to be a bit on the dry/flaky side, and it's not weighed down with toppings but I really like the way the crust and sausage taste. Just something about it.

Op got it in one

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
The Digiorno garlic crust pepperoni is really good but was better back when it was square. When they rounded it, they also started putting less garlic and pepperoni on it.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
The correct answer is the Walmart brand double decker pepperoni

piss boner
May 17, 2003

I was sleepless a while back and got deep into the frozen pizza rabbit hole, from history in the US to rankings and came across this: https://www.cleveland.com/best/2020/03/we-ate-130-frozen-pizzas-and-ranked-them-worst-to-best-nos-1-2-made-by-same-company.html

On the history side it was neat to learn several national brands originated in Wisconsin and that they have many locally owned small frozen pizza company's.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
Mama Celeste's made me want to die when I ate it.

tombstone's limited editions are actually really good. this was the best thing of theirs I ever ate.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Jacks is my go-to. Canadian bacon or bacon cheeseburger, nice thin crust. Wal-mart still has them at 2.50, so four for 10 is a decent deal. Their mexican pizza is good too, also had a limited time one that was like sausage and wisconsin cheese curds that wasn't very good.

Not frozen, but Caseys gas station pizza is good road food. Also little caesars lunch combo is a helluva deal for 5 bux. Just get some cheezy jalapeno sauce to go with it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

TheAardvark posted:

protip pick up a pack of these and you can have olives on four different frozen pies !!!!

Getting a cheapo frozen cheese pizza and adding toppings is a great alternative to making your own from scratch if you're bad at making dough or just don't have the time.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Pretty much all the Palermo’s brands suck imo. I think they’re really overrated

I had the Palermo's tonight and I hate to say it but you're right. It wasn't a bad pizza, but the crust was really bland and not sauced enough. This one was the chicken bacon ranch, which might be an outlier, I dunno.
My only other memory of eating a pizza from them was at a Milwaukee Brewers game and that one was loving delicious, but I think the Brewers put cocaine in all their concession stand food, it's really good.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

The correct answer is the Walmart brand double decker pepperoni

Yeah I dunno what walmart puts in their frozen pizzas but they are really good for the price. I tend to associate the walmart branded stuff as being subpar, but every now and then it's great. Speaking of which...

piss boner posted:

I was sleepless a while back and got deep into the frozen pizza rabbit hole, from history in the US to rankings and came across this: https://www.cleveland.com/best/2020/03/we-ate-130-frozen-pizzas-and-ranked-them-worst-to-best-nos-1-2-made-by-same-company.html

On the history side it was neat to learn several national brands originated in Wisconsin and that they have many locally owned small frozen pizza company's.

This is one of the highest rated pizzas on the list and now I am outraged that I have never seen this at a walmart, it looks fantastic.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I would get Palermo's a lot, but it's probably been a decade so I dunno if the quality has declined.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

aniviron posted:

I had the Palermo's tonight and I hate to say it but you're right. It wasn't a bad pizza, but the crust was really bland and not sauced enough. This one was the chicken bacon ranch, which might be an outlier, I dunno.
My only other memory of eating a pizza from them was at a Milwaukee Brewers game and that one was loving delicious, but I think the Brewers put cocaine in all their concession stand food, it's really good.

Yeah I don’t turn down Palermo’s, but I also don’t buy it anymore. It’s not terrible, but the crust always seems to be stale, the sauce is really strong in that dusty, dry herb flavor, and it never cooks evenly.

Re: Miller park food, unfortunately they redid all the concessions because they got a new food service contractor a few years ago, and now it suckkkkkks. I used to actually look forward to eating some of the stuff at the park, but no longer. They paid some local restaurants for naming rights of the stands but they execute it all terribly. There’s also no more state fair-type food specials or visiting team-inspired specials or anything fun like that. The only good thing they did was they added a bunch of tap cocktails with local booze. It’s such a bummer.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I did enjoy the Kirkland brand pizza since you get like 4 pizzas for $12

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Yeah that stuff about Miller Park sucks.

Plus Miller lost the naming rights so now it's gonna be named after some dumb insurance company and be xyz field instead. So lame.

Your recommendation on the drafthaus pizza is spot on though, they own

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
When I'm low on cash and I need a filling meal, Red Baron has a brick oven pizza that I like. They're typically less than 4 bucks at winco.

I also like to shave a little more cheese on most frozen pizzas because most of them really don't have enough cheese.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Something about the crust on these always grosses me out when I've eaten it. It's like Mellow Mushroom pizza dough but somehow bad.

770e4133fe864efdb5a3d5860573ed6c

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
CPK Sicilian has a very different taste from most frozen pizzas, it's closer to real food I guess lol

Home Run Pizza was disappointing to me, the weird almost biscuit-y crust just did not work for me.

I kind of haven't settled on a frozen pepperoni pizza tbh, Newman's Own Uncured Pepperoni is OK but the crust is still generic frozen pizza cardboard.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

My go to.

For the longest time I thought the little bubble of crust on that picture was like refried beans or something stuffed in it.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Digorno stuffed crust pepperoni

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That Newman's is looking pretty good. Never had one of their pizzas but the pasta sauces they make are great; that's a good start.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Re: Miller park food, unfortunately they redid all the concessions because they got a new food service contractor a few years ago, and now it suckkkkkks. I used to actually look forward to eating some of the stuff at the park, but no longer. They paid some local restaurants for naming rights of the stands but they execute it all terribly. There’s also no more state fair-type food specials or visiting team-inspired specials or anything fun like that. The only good thing they did was they added a bunch of tap cocktails with local booze. It’s such a bummer.

:ohdear: That's a shame, I haven't been to a game in a decade or so, but it used to be worth going just for the food- and I say this as someone who doesn't particularly like the sport, even.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Totino's Party Pizza. Formerly Totino's Crisp Crust Party Pizza, formerly Jeno's Crisp 'n Tasty Pizza.

When I was in college and a kid, they were circles and came in a cardboard box, but now they are squares in plastic wrap.

It has a unique crackery-but-chewy crust, and the cheese doesn't quite melt all the way. You can fold it and eat it without cutting it up into slices.

As a kid it was unique because I rarely ever saw cubed pepperonis. It was always slices everywhere else in my world.

circle:

square:

cooked:

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
I'm eating something called the "Sizzlin Sacilian" frozen pizza. it sucks, it has a weird cheicmally flavor like it got dropped on a bathroom floor before being packaged. who know maysbe it did. im still eating it though. totinos is better

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
actually nevermind this poo poo takes like a freshly cleaned toilet vomited into my mouth. even in my current drunk state im not eating this poo poo i'll give it to my dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Are you sure it's not screamin' sicilian? Haven't had screamin' pizza but their strombolis are good, even though you have to use non-stick spray on the microwavable container for it.