Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
That is really cool thanks for letting me know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

CobiWann posted:

I'd recommend Strange Days as well. It gives off the "high tech/low life" vibe very well mixed with police corruption.

Also the central plot is about illicit brain dancing.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

CobiWann posted:

I'd recommend Strange Days as well. It gives off the "high tech/low life" vibe very well mixed with police corruption.

Added it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

doingitwrong posted:

Also the central plot is about illicit brain dancing.

Yep, together Johnny Mnemonic is the most cyberpunk film. Way more than The Matrix which I'll always feel people put it in the CP basket stretching the genre a fair bit.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Good OP, but the Marx title was better.

Some stuff to add to the references and inspirations stuff:

Akira

Cowboy Bebop

Elevator to the Gallows (Ascenseur pour l'échafaud)

The Stars My Destination

Altered Carbon

Johnny Mnemonic (movie, but also the Burning Chrome short story collection, cause there are a bunch of other stories in there that are great, like Fragments of a Hologram Rose, The Gernsback Continuum, that also are inspirations)

Deus Ex

Escape from New York

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
When it comes to games you should definitely add Observer, Ghostrunner and Ruiner to the list.

Observer is a detective story in a film noir style, set in a dystopian Cyberpunk world. Ghostrunner is first person slasher, with the player being some kind of Cyber Ninja. And Ruiner is a fast paced shooter with all kinds of fancy guns and implant upgrades.

Also the classic Syndicate (1993) and Syndicate Wars should be mentioned.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Dec 7, 2020

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Johnny Mnemonic was a great movie i'll fight anyone who says otherwise. :colbert:

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

The X-Files episode Kill Switch (written by William Gibson) is pretty good and definitely cyberpunk. The other episode he wrote, First Person Shooter is probably the worst episode in the series.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Welcome back. I’m curious about what the final days before a big launch like this are like. Are you all rushing around finishing tangential things, or is it all locked and loaded and it’s the calm before the storm p waiting to see if there are showstoppers you need to deal with?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

itry posted:

I added some entries to the genre recommendations part of the OP.

That's understandable, but there's also the reported lack of review codes being given. And giving review codes so close to the release time will result in subpar reviews as people rush to compile their impressions. So that's counterproductive.

If you're open to recommendations

Johnny Mnemonic: Based on a Gibson short story, has Keanu, Dolph Lundgren, Henry Rollins, Ice-T and Dina Meyer as NOT- Molly Millions. It's weird

Upgrade: A paraplegic man is given an experimental nerve-chip that allows him to walk again and starts using it's help (with it's AI assistant) to investigate the mugging that injured him.

Hardware: Guy buys some weird scavenged robot parts from a junk vendor for his artist girlfriend to use and... uh it goes really well.

Dredd: The role Karl Urban's chin was born to play.

Split Second: Ok this movie sucks but its got Rutger Hauer and Kim Cattrall and all Hauer does is smoke and ingest coffee and it's all on youtube

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

itry posted:

That's understandable, but there's also the reported lack of review codes being given. And giving review codes so close to the release time will result in subpar reviews as people rush to compile their impressions. So that's counterproductive.

I'd really recommend Altered Carbon: Resleeved in particular, the standalone animated movie, it's VERY CP2077 in looks and execution, even moreso than the TV show imho.

Oh, and Person of Interest is lighter ion the scifi stuff but does a great job of portraying a runner group (and dystopian as heck)

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Dec 7, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

:comte: are you in this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkdnpAsF8zo

Or were you not high rank enough in the corpo ladder? :P

Wet Fifty
Dec 6, 2005

Greetings from the inner-
city, high-humidity, ass
and titty bar.
https://i.imgur.com/RsEfi39.png The screen you get after trying to start the game after the PC preload. No spoilers.

Wet Fifty fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 7, 2020

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

PC preload is up? Just on GOG I guess, Steam coming later today?

Why tf am I even hype about the preload.... release is going to make my heart explode...

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Added your recommendations and some quotes. Thanks for providing links.

Edit: I really hated Upgrade. But it is cyberpunk af.

itry fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 7, 2020

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

black.lion posted:

PC preload is up? Just on GOG I guess, Steam coming later today?

Why tf am I even hype about the preload.... release is going to make my heart explode...

Steam preload is supposedly in about 3.5 hours. I need to get started on preloading right when it becomes available for a chance of playing the game on release day provided any release day patch isn't too big since my internet is so slow.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Wet Fifty posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/6p9blny The screen you get after trying to start the game after the PC preload. No spoilers.

Heh.

I won't watch or search any more leaks, I had enough. In a way, I think it was good to watch it because (and I'm ignoring the obvious bugs and visual glitches) it lowered my expectations a bit to a more realistic levels. It's... a game. I know, I know, of course it's a game, but watching raw footage instead of curated snippets in edited trailers serves to remind that of course it has a hundred limitations and little caveats typical of video games.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Knowing when the pre-release is up is good, because it matriculates to the piracy websites, so you can pre-load with everyone else. Then when the game releases out you just need that day 1 patch.

E: it's up, you know where to get it.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 7, 2020

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

I won't watch or search any more leaks, I had enough. In a way, I think it was good to watch it because (and I'm ignoring the obvious bugs and visual glitches) it lowered my expectations a bit to a more realistic levels. It's... a game. I know, I know, of course it's a game, but watching raw footage instead of curated snippets in edited trailers serves to remind that of course it has a hundred limitations and little caveats typical of video games.

What the gently caress, this is just a game like all the rest? Dammit cancelling my preorder again!

;)

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Akira

Cowboy Bebop

The Stars My Destination

Altered Carbon

Johnny Mnemonic (movie, but also the Burning Chrome short story collection, cause there are a bunch of other stories in there that are great, like Fragments of a Hologram Rose, The Gernsback Continuum, that also are inspirations)

Deus Ex

Escape from New York

You mean you guys watched Cowboy Bebop for inspiration? (because that'd be pretty neat)

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I can't believe it's finally going to actually release, I received an email saying my disc is in the warehouse ready for shipment which is a trip after all this time. I'll be playing the PS4 version on PS5, the additional wait was too much to bear. I've managed to have a pretty clean media blackout on the game so apart from the very basics it's going to be fresh. Can't wait...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

doingitwrong posted:

Welcome back. I’m curious about what the final days before a big launch like this are like. Are you all rushing around finishing tangential things, or is it all locked and loaded and it’s the calm before the storm p waiting to see if there are showstoppers you need to deal with?

I've only ever worked in 'business software' rather than vidjagames but the week leading up to a major deadline / release is usually "Bored off my rear end, bored off my rear end, bor- OH GOD QA FOUND A BUG FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT". That was medical record software with heavily regulated software specs with a hard deadline every year.

I imagine video games are probably the same :thunk:

Wet Fifty posted:

https://i.imgur.com/RsEfi39.png The screen you get after trying to start the game after the PC preload. No spoilers.

What happens if you disconnect from the internet and change your clock

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Akira

Cowboy Bebop

The Stars My Destination

Altered Carbon

Deus Ex

Escape from New York

Sir, I can only be so erect...

Wet Fifty
Dec 6, 2005

Greetings from the inner-
city, high-humidity, ass
and titty bar.

Sab669 posted:

I've only ever worked in 'business software' rather than vidjagames but the week leading up to a major deadline / release is usually "Bored off my rear end, bored off my rear end, bor- OH GOD QA FOUND A BUG FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT". That was medical record software with heavily regulated software specs with a hard deadline every year.

I imagine video games are probably the same :thunk:

What happens if you disconnect from the internet and change your clock

My clock will be wrong and I won't be able to connect using gog galaxy to click play to start the game.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

PC players: you gonna do M+KB or gamepad?

I'm really torn.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Shoehead posted:

I don't know if posting lore poo poo should be spoilered but you know, I will just in case. But short answer, that all exists in this setting too, and long answer... well:

There's ways to tunnel in from the LANS to the larger Net, where all the spooky weird poo poo is and I hope what we see IG is more than just you plug in and talk to someone once or some poo poo. Don't ask me how the two systems are supposed to be able to talk to each other or why there would still be an old internet running apparently on still powered servers in a cooled room in the middle of a ruined city for 40+ years. The answer is probably "Because it's more fun this way"

I trip up on why they don't just turn the servers off, but my personal explanation would be the corps/banks are all still running decrepit hundred year old mainframes full of COBOL code nobody knows how to update that are also now infested with cyberskellies and they refuse to.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Drone posted:

I'm really torn.

Yeah I'm not sure. Given there's car driving I guess a gamepad makes alot more sense. Although I always prefer aiming on a keyboard and mouse.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Communist Bear posted:

Yeah I'm not sure. Given there's car driving I guess a gamepad makes alot more sense. Although I always prefer aiming on a keyboard and mouse.

Yeah I might do mostly MKB and then use a controller for driving around and stuff.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

I'm really torn.

Steam controller.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Romes128 posted:

Steam controller.

Mods? MODS?

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Yeah I might do mostly MKB and then use a controller for driving around and stuff.

:same:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Romes128 posted:

Steam controller.

jesus christ

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I'm going to use joy2key to emulate MKB on a hotass

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I'm going to use joy2key to emulate MKB on a hotass

If you did something like throttle position for forward/back and either rudder pedals or z axis twist for directions and then used the stick X/Y for camera move it probably wouldn't be awful.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biRGy2pMvIc

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

I sure wish I had a good way to hook my upstairs PC to my downstairs television so I could play on controller from the couch and my wife could share the joy of this hype monster

Wireless DisplayPort when?!

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

Romes128 posted:

Steam controller.

Ban this sick filth

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

itry posted:

oooh, nice post. I'll add some to it...

Novel: The Diamond Age (Neal Stephenson)
TV: Mr. Robot
Video Games: Shadowrun series, e.g. Shadowrun Returns (!!!)
Video Games: Syndicate (original, early 90s)
Book: The Quantum Thief, Hannu Rajaniemi (far future, so, postcyberpunk)

A broad list is available here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cyberpunk_works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Turin Turambar posted:

Seeing them did temper my enthusiasm, mostly on account of them taking the FPS route of "enemies have healthbars." If someone ever does a mod tho where everything is extra lethal both ways I'm death hitting that up

you shoot a guy in his dump cyber head and he's going down :colbert: