Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Silver Alicorn posted:

Ive never had trouble using my appole as an alarm clock

same op

The Management posted:

the iOS alarm screen UI is inexplicable

i think the phone and watch orange button have opposite text colors and that bothers me in a consistency and accessibility way. im certain one of them fails basic wcag requirements (probably white on orange) but the only time i consider this is 1 minute before I fall back to sleep (i am falling asleep now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

mediaphage posted:

update ur posts atwood

i don't find echi's posts very... performant

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

homebrew is somehow a worse package manager than npm

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

akadajet posted:

gonna launch my own line of performant clothing in the vein of rodtronics

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Soricidus posted:

finally got round to testing real-world m1 performance building a substantial java project, comparing an m1 mba to a brand new 13” ice lake mbp.

build times:
80s - mba rosetta
40s - mbp
20s - mba aarch64

so yeah … rosetta isn’t magic, but native arm is literally twice as fast for the workloads i care about. in a computer that’s almost half the price, lighter, silent, more stamina, not infected with touchbar.

literally the only reason to buy a current-gen intel 13” mbp is if you have more than two things to plug in at once and you really hate dongles. and if you hate dongles that much then maybe apple products are not for you

Rosetta shouldn’t be that big of a hit unless it’s finding new binaries for the first time, like if your build system is building and then running them. although with Java it might be jitting a jit so that could be pretty bad.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

the first(?) iPhone had some bug where everyone’s alarms didn’t work the day after dst change

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

inferis posted:

the first(?) iPhone had some bug where everyone’s alarms didn’t work the day after dst change

there was that zune if statement leap year bug that bricked all zunes on Dec. 31, 2008 until they fixed themselves 24 hours later
http://bit-player.org/2009/the-zune-bug

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

:supaburn:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i wanted to let you know that even the iphone doesn't bother underlining that word

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it’s a word, you’re just using it wrong.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Management posted:

it’s a word, you’re just using it wrong.

stop being a prescriptivist, language changes

besides the oxford dictionary has accepted it explicitly with this definition. it’s become part of the language now like jargon often does

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

so like yes, language changes but that doesn't mean you can use words however you want. they still have meaning and some usages are incorrect.

but yeah the ship sailed long ago on "performant," that's just what the word means now

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mediaphage posted:

stop being a prescriptivist, language changes

besides the oxford dictionary has accepted it explicitly with this definition. it’s become part of the language now like jargon often does

hella awesomesauce, broham

(all of the above are found in the OED)

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
honestly, all those words are fine to me bc we all understand what you're talking about, same with performant

better than literally (not literal) and inflammable (not flammable) which contradict and confuse but are also valid definitions now

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

so like yes, language changes but that doesn't mean you can use words however you want. they still have meaning and some usages are incorrect.

but yeah the ship sailed long ago on "performant," that's just what the word means now

that’s my point yes

The Management posted:

hella awesomesauce, broham

(all of the above are found in the OED)

like, congrats? all of those words are correctly used. your point was that its use is incorrect, which it flatly isn’t. it just annoys you which as far as i’m concerned is just reason to use it more.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

literally is just hyperbole, it needs the original definition to work

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have no idea what meaning “performant” is meant to express.

I don’t think I’ve heard it in casual or work conversation at all

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
performant fails the test because it makes you look like a legendary dork saying it. congrats your virginity is now etched on your tombstone

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MBAs use the word too and they’re not virgins because they need wives they divorced with kids and endlessly complain about sending child support

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
my 82 year old MIL absolutely needs a new M1 macbook air for christmas right? doesn't she? she does, right?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

MBAs use the word too and they’re not virgins because they need wives they divorced with kids and endlessly complain about sending child support

virginity isn’t a social construct it’s an enduring state of being

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
the real chad move is to communicate solely in grunts and hand gestures

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Plank Walker posted:

the real chad move is to communicate solely in grunts and hand gestures

:newfap:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

DELETE CASCADE posted:

my 82 year old MIL absolutely needs a new M1 macbook air for christmas right? doesn't she? she does, right?

M1L

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Doc Block posted:

homebrew is also doing a linux port

lol jesus why

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DELETE CASCADE posted:

literally unable to tell if srs the internet has broken me

with that said man the ipad has been great for situations like this imo

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
why is my macbook ~4 minutes faster than everything else? is apple's ntp loving up?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

pram posted:

lol jesus why

who loving knows 🤷‍♂️

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

why is my macbook ~4 minutes faster than everything else? is apple's ntp loving up?

the m1 is faster than time itself

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Soricidus posted:

the m1 is faster than time itself

i don't have an m1 yet because the shops around me suck rear end (they got only 8gb ram in 2020) and crapple doesn't ship (come onnnnnn it's 2020 gently caress)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

who loving knows 🤷‍♂️

oh god that avatar

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I'm not hearing any complaining about big slur so I guess it's safe to upgrade, right?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its fine

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

wasn’t it loving some of the older (but still supported) mbps? i haven’t paid too much attention to that issue

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Maximum Leader posted:

I'm not hearing any complaining about big slur so I guess it's safe to upgrade, right?

i upgraded and honestly I don't see much a difference, they just changed the icons

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

what’s the deal with signing code and stuff? i compile dumb c(++) programs all the time. not like proper xcode projects just poo poo with clang and command line tools. ive yet to install xcode.

i was reading there was some code signing requirements for big sur (im still on an intel Mac for the foreseeable future).

is it something big sir will take care of for me, and is more just to track everything? like i don’t want to have some extra barrier to something i do frequently.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
code signing is only an issue if you plan to distribute builds, the big sur changes all have to do with the rules surrounding app store and signed bundle distribution and how they interact with the default security settings

also iirc gatekeeper is a finder feature only applied to bundles that have been tagged as downloads before being launched, so a raw command line executable built locally from source should not trigger anything

pram
Jun 10, 2001
if you have this enabled then gatekeeper ignores anything executed from the terminal

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

mediaphage posted:

wasn’t it loving some of the older (but still supported) mbps? i haven’t paid too much attention to that issue

Some 2013s I think, I can't be assed to look it up though.

My 2020 Intel MBP (lol) kernel panics if I leave it plugged into my USB-C monitor overnight now though, didn't do that on Catalina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

oh god that avatar

idk who bought it for me. I have a guess tho.

I got a pretty good chuckle out of it, so I think I’m gonna leave it for a while