Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Video reviewers can't show any of their own gameplay lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Communist Bear posted:

PC Gamer is a bit more positive, though again the bugs are a huge issue. It reckons it will improve over time:

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/cyberpunk-2077-review/

Sounds like this is rather typical CDPR - an incredibly buggy experience pulling down the game. You'd think they would have learned their lessons from the Witcher series.

It's definitely par the course. CDPR doesn't stop at launch and will continue to work on it and fix things if not enhance others. We saw that with the Witcher already each time so we should know this song and dance by now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

sean10mm posted:

Pretty funny to see people who gave Far Cry 5 a 90 crapping on CP2077.

Either they're full of it or the game is dire lmao

Those reviews were written by different humans.

Kallie Plagge has always been pretty good IIRC.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Eurogamer has decided to hold until its played more

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-12-07-cyberpunk-2077-review-impressions

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

The guy on the stream who was making GBS threads on it just said "I didnt play much of witcher 3 because I didnt like witcher 3" so yeah Im not gonna take his opinion on anything game related

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CottonWolf posted:

We need to wait for some time trusted goon opinions to get a real take.

My hope is that our experiences wednesday night will be positive and good, that the day 1 patch will fix many of these issues. It will really blow poo poo to have been hyped for this game for 8 years only to have your first impression about it be really negative.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gamespot article sounds really good, but is pretty crazy nitpicky.

Compare this to a review for like, the latest Call of Duty where they're just like "hey its a cool shooter game" and its clear they're holding Cyberpunk to a vastly higher standard than most videogames.

sean10mm posted:

Pretty funny to see people who gave Far Cry 5 a 90 crapping on CP2077.

"Video Game Journalism"

I'm almost curious to see what Gamespot wrote about Fallout 4 now

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Last Call posted:

It's definitely par the course. CDPR doesn't stop at launch and will continue to work on it and fix things if not enhance others. We saw that with the Witcher already each time so we should know this song and dance by now.

I mean it’s like an Obsidian game...you just know they’ll actually be able to spend time and fix it, which sometimes happens with Obsidan and other times...not so much.

I’m kind of leaning towards the PC version now, even if it’s via a cloud gaming service. I can still pair a controller to an old MacBook Pro I have and plug that directly into the tv. That should take care of input lag concerns.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

TheRat posted:

The guy on the stream who was making GBS threads on it just said "I didnt play much of witcher 3 because I didnt like witcher 3" so yeah Im not gonna take his opinion on anything game related

I exited the stream after that comment.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Cybersex 2069.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/genepark/status/1335993778965008389?s=21

https://twitter.com/genepark/status/1335994585319923721?s=21

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

TheRat posted:

To be honest, I am not a very big fun of Witcher 3 gameplay mechanics wise as well, but I cannot dismiss everything else.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Polygon's review is...well typical Polygon if you like stonebaked artisan bakeries and grooming your beard.

I'm not going to bother linking it because it's eye rolling.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TheRat posted:

you mean gerstman? that guy basicaly hates everything.

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/22158019/cyberpunk-2077-review-cd-projekt-red-pc-ps4-xbox-one-stadia

polygons is mixed but not shocked about that. some of it comes down to "why isnt it more progressive" and "why is it not blade runner like".

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Cyberpunk 2077: The reviews are in, and it turns out it's a videogame.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

My hope is that our experiences wednesday night will be positive and good, that the day 1 patch will fix many of these issues. It will really blow poo poo to have been hyped for this game for 8 years only to have your first impression about it be really negative.

stop saying hype

the game's development length means nothing about owed quality. You're paying $60 and should get $60 worth of game, no more, no less.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

I'm gonna take so long to get through CP2077 that by the time I finish most of the bugs will be ironed out :cool:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah "GTA scale Kamurocho" sounds like all I wanted :)

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Dilber posted:

I exited the stream after that comment.

Same

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Why are reviewers allowed to post their reviews and scores but not their own footage?

WEIRD. Or am I misunderstanding something?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I mean it’s like an Obsidian game...you just know they’ll actually be able to spend time and fix it, which sometimes happens with Obsidan and other times...not so much.

I’m kind of leaning towards the PC version now, even if it’s via a cloud gaming service. I can still pair a controller to an old MacBook Pro I have and plug that directly into the tv. That should take care of input lag concerns.

The PC version was always going to be the best. And as I said already most of the technical issues are with the base consoles hence the two big delays we got. Probably not surprising considering CDPR has more experience with PC than console versions.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

gently caress SNEEP posted:

I'm gonna take so long to get through CP2077 that by the time I finish most of the bugs will be ironed out :cool:

:hmmyes:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

TheRat posted:

GiantBomb people? They were always kind of sour on Witcher 3 and I could never figure out why.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I always hear about Day One Patches and how they're gonna fix everything and it never works out that way. Brace for a lot of bugs if you're grabbing this at launch. They didn't do a last-minute, three-week delay because the game was stable and needed some minor touch-ups.

ErrEff posted:

Why are reviewers allowed to post their reviews and scores but not their own footage?

WEIRD.

Because bug compilation videos strike terror into the hearts of game marketing teams industry-wide.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

GiantBomb's Jeff Gerstmann is criticizing the gameplay's balance, he says he forces himself into stealth from time to time to experience it, but really, the easiest and quickest way to deal with enemies is just shoot them in the face. He is playing on Normal.

At this point journalist SHOULD know that these big AAA games are balanced (at least the default difficulty) for casual gamers who aren't going to even click on the submenus, if you are a games journalist who has played games for the loving last 30 years, MAYBE bump it to Hard. At least try it and see if things change, and if it doesn't, you have a point.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Last Call posted:

The PC version was always going to be the best. And as I said already most of the technical issues are with the base consoles hence the two big delays we got. Probably not surprising considering CDPR has more experience with PC than console versions.

Yeah, I just wasn’t sure if I’d want to trust it to a streaming platform...but I think I will and I can always grab the console one when it goes on sale.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
lots of reviewers saying its buggy and goons getting upset at reviews itt

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Well I feel sorry for the person who reviewed it for Gamespot. She’s gonna get so much pointless abuse hurled at her.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Zaphod42 posted:

Compare this to a review for like, the latest Call of Duty where they're just like "hey its a cool shooter game" and its clear they're holding Cyberpunk to a vastly higher standard than most videogames.

You’ve got it backwards. We should be holding all game reviews to this standard. The issue is the boilerplate CoD reviews, not this actually good one.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Slumpy posted:

lots of reviewers saying its buggy and goons getting upset at reviews itt

The massive majority of reviews are giving it near perfect or perfect scores

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Rob over at Vice with a surprisingly positive review

https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7a7xx/cyberpunk-2077-review?utm_content=1607360453&utm_medium=social&utm_source=waypoint_twitter

Conclusion

quote:

If this undercuts the game's cyberpunk and noir trappings, it's simultaneously one of the game's saving graces: from beginning to end, the game pushes V toward making connections with new people and expanding their community. It's very hard to make V anything less than stand-up on their adventures. The expanding aura of decency and compassion that follows in V's wake makes Cyberpunk an unexpectedly charming game in spite of its chauvinist streaks and retro-kitsch. In the face of the thoroughly amok-machinery of techno-corporatism that has destroyed society and ruthlessly crushes any challenges and dissent that it might face, Cyberpunk 2077 wants to believe in a hero, and the promise of a neon sunset.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Washington Post confirms that CDPR can’t make a combat system.

quote:

The artificial intelligence here likely factors into the overall jank of the game. Enemies and allies alike have no discernible combat tactics besides point and shoot and die. The boss encounters fare even worse, becoming a mess of mechanics as they flip around and do all kinds of things you wish you could. Just as “Witcher 3” didn’t set the world on fire with its battle mechanics, neither will “Cyberpunk 2077.”

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Zaphod42 posted:

Compare this to a review for like, the latest Call of Duty where they're just like "hey its a cool shooter game" and its clear they're holding Cyberpunk to a vastly higher standard than most videogames

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

You’ve got it backwards. We should be holding all game reviews to this standard. The issue is the boilerplate CoD reviews, not this actually good one.

It goes both ways. Expectations have to be realistic. Videogames are still videogames, and different consumers want different products.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

"I’m taken by how relentlessly hopeful Cyberpunk is." --reviewer at PCgamer, describing what sounds like a meta-commentary critique on the genre of cyberpunk if Cyberpunk 2077 turned out to be post-cyberpunk.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Last Call posted:

The new consoles still have these same issues though. The only thing that will be different is their graphic fidelity is getting a massive boost early next year. For now, the new consoles have a better frame rate, and vastly better load times.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://www.windowscentral.com/cyberpunk-2077-review

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

TheRat posted:

The massive majority of reviews are giving it near perfect or perfect scores

massive majority? can you link?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Slumpy posted:

massive majority? can you link?

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/cyberpunk-2077/critic-reviews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Jeff Gerstmann is talking about the game now, and apparently we are in for some proper Eurojank.

He’s a loving hater to anything that’s not basic bitch games like Cod or Tetris, though, so grain of salt.