Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Zaphod42 posted:

That's with ray tracing on relax

I'm starting to think ray tracing is a waste of everyone's time and money. If Nvidia's second generation of RTX cards can still barely handle games that were designed around them then it hardly seems worth the effort.

e: I got a 2080super like a dumb dumb so yes I'm bitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wow, you mean game review sites gave a massive aaa release with tons of money put into it a 9/10?

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

The Aesthetic sure is very Idiocracy, even more than as much as they both have some similar future cyberpunky looks. That ultra corporate big bold lettering thing feels very idiocracy to me. Good callout.

Yeah the ultra corporate influence makes sense for both. It's just kinda crazy that I never pegged the future in that movie as cyberpunk until now hahaha

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Funky See Funky Do posted:

This is bad guys. This is really bad. This is mass effect andromeda all over again. No wonder they banned footage from being shown before release they didn't want to get memed into oblivion like bioware did.

Yeah, no. This game is actually getting good reviews.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

sean10mm posted:

(Looks at 91 on Metacritic)

LMAO nope

Metacritic gave Mario Party 64 a 79.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

sean10mm posted:

I expect PC on release to be buggy in a normal sense of "you can see weird poo poo sometimes" with the day 1 patch, like has been true of every big open game worth a poo poo ever.

I expect last gen consoles to be pretty dang rough, and next-gen consoles to be better mainly in that they can brute force through some bad optimizations or whatever.

i just want my car parked on top of a high rise a la my friend Roach

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Endorph posted:

wow, you mean game review sites gave a massive aaa release with tons of money put into it a 9/10?

ME:A got a 72 for reference.

Some reviewers are always bought and paid for but true disaster releases sink below 80 pretty fast.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

stev posted:

I'm starting to think ray tracing is a waste of everyone's time and money. If Nvidia's second generation of RTX cards can still barely handle games that were designed around them then it hardly seems worth the effort.

It's weird too because PS5 and Series X are handling it just fine for now. Granted we don't have too many examples to work with.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Christ what a shitshow

(jk i just wanted to be the first goon to say it)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Lastdancer posted:

Between this and the reports of numerous burrito vending machines, I'm starting to seriously question if Mike Judge's Idiocracy was also an influence

This is also the same brand of soft drinks that had the ad that got the transgender community enraged. Even if this isn't a not-so-subtle message to them, it certainly will be taken as one.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

sean10mm posted:

I expect PC on release to be buggy in a normal sense of "you can see weird poo poo sometimes" with the day 1 patch, like has been true of every big open game worth a poo poo ever.

I expect last gen consoles to be pretty dang rough, and next-gen consoles to be better mainly in that they can brute force through some bad optimizations or whatever.

I mean, all the reviews have mentioned bugs that go beyond just visual. Jeff Gerstmann and the PC Gamer review both mention the game straight up freezing for minutes right before the final choice in the main story. AI sometimes don't react at all to the player. Jeff couldn't [i]drive cars[\i] due to the frame rate tanking on his 2080 Ti

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Brownie posted:

I mean, all the reviews have mentioned bugs that go beyond just visual. Jeff Gerstmann and the PC Gamer review both mention the game straight up freezing for minutes right before the final choice in the main story. AI sometimes don't react at all to the player. Jeff couldn't [i]drive cars[\i] due to the frame rate tanking on his 2080 Ti

Running pre release code and drivers.

I said come in! posted:

It's weird too because PS5 and Series X are handling it just fine for now. Granted we don't have too many examples to work with.

They aren't running PC Ultra settings though. They're running the base PS4 settings which are like the lowest you can even set PC to probably.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Penis 2 has failed.

Penis 3 will be our gaming savior.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqLt_CW8sr4

Cyberpunk energy

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cael posted:

If the reviewers are trans then that makes a lot of sense. And I definitely didn't want to come off in my original post as THIS IS SO STUPID WHO CARES because I know it absolutely matters to people and I don't want that to be the takeaway. It was more the comment on this is a review for what's arguable the game of 2020, everyone is going to be reading your take, and for that to be your opening part of the review was just weird.

i mean whatever. i dont agree with gamespots but i get where polygon and kotaku and vice come from. i do think alot of folks didnt read enough of pondsmiths works and thought it was gonna be some super big brained world stuff when its basicaly americanized 2000AD but the judges don't exist mixed with his friends weird book. like witcher is basicaly game of thrones meets Shrek and thats including the books.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Metacritic gave Mario Party 64 a 79.

Which is why it can't be trusted, MP64 is the second best mario party on the system.

And scores are completely pointless. IGN gave pokemon sword a 9.3 and that game was one of the worst RPGs in the last 10 years.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
it's going to be a great pay-to-play beta test

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ibTW2tu3ps

Easy Allies have their 30 hour impression video up.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I’m going to play the hell out of this game in approximately 3-4 years when I can build a computer decent enough to run it and when all the DLC is released and bundled into a nice, fat GOTY sale on Steam.

I only have a GTX 970, which isn’t a bad card by any means, but I’m pretty sure it’s below the recommended and I don’t plan on playing this at 20 FPS on low settings.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Sick, looks like my 2-3 year old 1080 Ti will at least be able to handle high at 1080p if not at least mostly playable on Ultra.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

sean10mm posted:

They aren't running PC Ultra settings though. They're running the base PS4 settings which are like the lowest you can even set PC to probably.

I don't mean CP77, but games on console that are using ray-tracing, are pulling off some very impressive graphic fidelity and performance right now. Spider-Man Miles Morales is raytracing / 4K / 30fps and looks amazing with no frame rate hits, and this is in a gigantic open world with huge crowds of NPCs and cars.

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

Harlock posted:

Penis 2 has failed.

Penis 3 will be our gaming savior.

Redo the benchmarks with lowpoly PENIS 3

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Man, after all this time... I'm actually thinking if I should wait two months more until I can get a rtx 3080, as also the game should be in much better state by then.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Can you believe a open world game has some bugs?! I for one am shocked!

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Me years ago: "why are there separate reviews for console vs PC versions, jeez just make a single review"
*monkey's paw*
Me now: "ugh why don't we have separate reviews, console bugs driving down the PC score I'll bet!"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Norns posted:

Its the level of glitches and bugs that are hard to ignore. Entire missions break constant, and immersion breaking glitches are common.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

stev posted:

Ray tracing is generally a waste of time and money, and I'm a graphics enthusiast who actually has a RT card. Ray tracing is technology from the 80s that makes tons of sense for pre-rendered movies (See: Pixar) but has never been worth the trade-offs of performance for real-time applications.

The new hybrid raster and ray-tracing solution is at least more sensible, but unless you're willing to blow tons of money on it, still doesn't mean much.

Metro is still IMO the best demonstration of it, and I love the way Global Illumination looks in Metro with it. But its still something most gamers won't even really notice. You've got to be a huge nerd for lighting either from cinematography or game graphics to even really put your finger on what it makes better.

I've got a 2080TI and I still turn it off for battlefield. It looks great with it on, but I get 20-30fps more with it off, so... yeah. I love my super silky high frame rates.

The thing about "games that were designed around them" is that its always a trade-off. Its not like ray-tracing is just a new algorithm to replace the old ones, its a whole extra pass of rendering that has to be done that takes time. Any GPU, even one that is capable of RT, will be slower if doing the RT than if not.

So even if a 3070 is built to do RT, and it may be able to do RT as fast as a 2060 can do non-RT or whatever, the point is always there that the 3070 could render faster without the RT. You'll never have a graphics card for which that isn't true, it'll always cost a lot and always be able to do more if you turn it off.

If you were made of money you could buy a 3090 or a Titan or whatever and then run games at both Ultra 1440 AND ray-trace AND still get 100+ fps, but for the rest of us who aren't Richie Rich, it doesn't make much sense.

The thing about computer graphics though is each generation we get diminishing returns on fidelity. Increasing resolution past 1440p barely makes sense, 4K is basically as far as you want to ever go. Past that and nobody can tell the difference. So in the long run, we've gotta figure out SOMETHING to keep driving progress and keep selling new hardware, but absolutely the advantages aren't nearly as dramatic as going from like an N64 to a PS2.

Eventually we'll get to where every one of us can render at 4K120fps and at that point if you buy a new graphics card then you may as well turn on RT because its not like 300fps is doing you much good. But we're a long way from having that much performance overhead that we wouldn't notice it.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Cael posted:

If the reviewers are trans then that makes a lot of sense. And I definitely didn't want to come off in my original post as THIS IS SO STUPID WHO CARES because I know it absolutely matters to people and I don't want that to be the takeaway. It was more the comment on this is a review for what's arguable the game of 2020, everyone is going to be reading your take, and for that to be your opening part of the review was just weird.

Cyberpunk as a genre has always been focused on how personal identity is found and expressed in a society that treats people like commodities. If any game would justify an opening like that, it'd be the big bold open-ended cyberpunk game.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Slowpoke! posted:

I’m going to play the hell out of this game in approximately 3-4 years when I can build a computer decent enough to run it and when all the DLC is released and bundled into a nice, fat GOTY sale on Steam.

I only have a GTX 970, which isn’t a bad card by any means, but I’m pretty sure it’s below the recommended and I don’t plan on playing this at 20 FPS on low settings.

According to the system reqs they tweeted out like 3 weeks ago a 780 is the minimum and a 1060 should be ~passable~.

But yea I'd sooner guess a 970 is like, Low Settings and not a stable 60 fps either.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The IGN video review is quite nice.

I realise it's IGN but I liked the guys enthusiasm.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Norns posted:

All the mechanics and animations are bad, as well.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Norns posted:

yeah!! it's like, what, all that crunch was supposed to help??

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Spotify has the first couple of tracks up, and it certifiably slaps.

Getting Fury Road and Bladerunner vibes, which is all I couldve asked for.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Think i'm going to wait for a while until they've patched the game a few times. I was holding off on getting Yakuza 7 because I can't really afford to buy that and cyberpunk close together but there's nothing stopping me now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

sean10mm posted:

PS5 and XSX aren't running PS5/XSX builds, but they are running the PS4/whateverthefuckbox at slightly higher settings than those consoles are. The CDPR video showed that even on launch day PS5 looks a bit better than PS4.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

God I hope this doesn't suck. I can't decide to be a corpo agent or an Akira street kid...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Communist Bear posted:

The IGN video review is quite nice.

I realise it's IGN but I liked the guys enthusiasm.

ign is ok in general. like i wouldnt use them for media critques or whatever but they are a decent barometer of what works and what doesn't in a game.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

sean10mm posted:

Running pre release code and drivers.

I'm not super invested in this game being good or bad (I hope it's good!) but I don't understand your reasoning here. I asked if people had any examples of games that reviewers noted were massively buggy being fixed by day one patches, and you seemed to be confident that all these non-visual bugs will be fixed because it's prerelease. But why do you think that? Do you think 8 months of death march are not enough to deliver a bug free game to reviewers, but 9 months is?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Anyways I'm kidding the people I've actually listened to talk about their experiences are absolutely gushing about it. Like "best video game they've ever played" level of praise despite the bugs and glitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Relax Or DIE posted:

yeah!! it's like, what, all that crunch was supposed to help??

tbh I think it mainly went into "keep PS4 from literally melting" more than anything.

Like the PC was going to be a big buggy open world game like most open world games are on day zero, but the last gen console versions were dead until they pushed the deadline back and went from generic crunch to hellcrunch.

I said come in! posted:

I don't mean CP77, but games on console that are using ray-tracing, are pulling off some very impressive graphic fidelity and performance right now. Spider-Man Miles Morales is raytracing / 4K / 30fps and looks amazing with no frame rate hits, and this is in a gigantic open world with huge crowds of NPCs and cars.

They're using an EXTREMELY limited version of ray tracing vs. what some PC games are pushing like Control.